test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Newbie Question: Zone Transitions?

k2ek2e Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
Greetings,

I've poked around in the Foundry for a few hours now (I'm one of those people who tears things apart to learn how they work, much to the dismay of my belongings) and managed to figure out the very basics of how to connect story page elements to map page elements. However, I hit a brick wall (or should that be a brick door?) when I went to transition from the first map I made to a second map I was working on. The story page calls puts an angry exclamation point on it and demands I give it a door element to link to, however, I cannot find the object in the libraries that it wants to consider a "door". I've tried inanimate objects, invisible objects, and teleporters (at least I found out how those work!) I've tried making them intractable or not, but nothing will pull them up on the list when I click on the "No, really now, I need a door!" error text. I've tried doors, both functional one and stand alone as well, but no luck.

I have checked the sticky threads, and I did read through parts one and four (although I couldn't find 2 or 3) of the linked guides. I also searched in this forum, but all I've found are folks asking way more advanced/complex questions. I just need a little help so I can go back to fiddling around with my test maps.

Short version: I want to move from Map A, to Map B. Both maps are player made. I have added the step to my Story. That step throws and error and demands I add a "door object" to the map. What is a "door object", where do I find one, and what options must I turn on once it is placed for make the transition work?

Thanks very much for helping a new guy out!
Post edited by k2e on

Comments

• watever2watever2 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would guess that you cannot transition from one player map to another, that's what Campaigns are for. Each map is a stand alone quest that needs to be completed before moving on to the next one.
  • upskirtupskirt Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    as far as i can tell you shouldn't have an issue. it sounds like you're doing the right things. consider this, perhaps you're over thinking it? you should be able to set any object as a transition point afaik. it could have to do with the map location. if you go to story view look to the left, there should be a little exclimation in the section were the story elements would go (all the way on the left of the screen) where you have to select a point on the actual game map (not the map you created). i really hope i explained this well enough.
  • k2ek2e Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Greetings,

Thank you very much! Soon as the servers are up I'll back-track and see if I can't find out if I'm tripping myself up by making things harder than they have to. I was trying to transition from one player map to another, but if that's not a viable option, I can send folks back to town in between my maps. I'll cross my fingers and give it a try.
  • jkparkjkpark Member Posts: 56
    edited May 2013
    You can transition between different custom maps, so that isn't an issue. It's difficult to envision what the problem exactly is. I agree with upskirt, though, check the story panel first. To begin with, the errors can be a little confusing.
    JKPark's Foundry Quests
    A Friendly Reminder (NW-DAQN7H5GO) - Short, solo, story-driven quest.
  • gemstrikegemstrike Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Could also try watching this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_d6bud_h2k Maybe a more visual guide will help you out. Remember you place the detail item in the Maps tab, then go back to the Story tab to link it. Remember to click on the little arrow next to the map name to expand it so you can see your details.

Foundry Author! Check out @gemstrike to see my quests :)
    Want to make your own? Then watch my videos.
    New Videos
    Old Videos