test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Original IP requirement for featured quests

seanc84seanc84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 58
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
What exactly does this mean? I'm assuming it just means that the story/plot of the quest as a whole can't be copied from something else (e.g. adapting a published adventure).

It doesn't mean that we can't use Forgotten Realms characters/lore/etc. right?
Into the Mind's Eye
Chapter 1 - The Ruins of Webcrag --- Chapter 2 - Don't get your hopes up. Bored of the game.
Post edited by seanc84 on

Comments

• duskdweller78duskdweller78 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    IIRC you can't also use copyrighted characters like Drizzt, Elminster and the likes.
    Campaign:Different Seasons
    Author: @BardicKnowledge
    Q1: Prologue - The Lady and the Worm NW-DPQPJSVTH
    Tags: #Challenge, #Story, #Solo, #Group
  • drowessdrowess Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm sort of wondering as to what that exactly means as well. I was thinking of having a deity show up at the end of one campaign since it would take place in their home plane. I know you can draw from the lore, but don't know exactly as to the extent.
  • hercooles130uscghercooles130uscg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If it is from a piece of work that is part of the D&D source manuals (monster manual, rulebook, etc) that is put out for the Pen and Paper game itself, then it should be ok.

Where the difference is, works that are independent from the P&P game, such as Novels, Movies, other video games, etc.

So to use an example, the Drow race is part of the official D&D IP, however the character Drizzt was created by R.A Salvatore and is original IP in this case. You can use it in your quests, but it can not be featured.

So if it is a name of a place, character, god, event that was first written about in a Novel, Movie or other Video Game, then it is original IP.

That is my understanding at least.
    bdayaffair_zps6675e60e.png
  • drowessdrowess Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What of named creatures/deities mentioned in the source material? Many of those have been used in novels. Some I wouldn't even know if the novel mentioned them first or if the source material mentioned them first.
  • foundrymakerfoundrymaker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 253 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Well, I'm using Dragonlance references and no one has said boo to me yet. I have to assume that the 'IP' is the Dungeon and Dragons franchise from Wizards of the Coast. They state 'Dungeons and Dragons' and that cover a huge about of content from Wizard of the Coast.

No one seems to want to give us confirmation wither its this or just 'Forgotten Realms' (I think the game is based on the Forgotten Realms division of Dungeons and Dragons)

Maybe someday they will let us know.