test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

No more companions in town!

zedfighterzedfighter Member Posts: 93 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Do not allow combat companions to be summoned in town!

What I see every freakin day... gobs of polygons around the alter I have to render. Gobs of polygons at each gate I have to render, gobs at the AH and at quest NPCs.

Not only does this look like an extremely lazy developer decision, it's taxing everyone's systems just that much more.
They aren't necessary and serve absolutely no function whatsoever while in town.
Post edited by zedfighter on

Comments

• dreadlordmikeydreadlordmikey Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    +1

This is actually a good idea. Anything that can be done to improve performance in congested areas gets my vote.

I might also suggest mounts, but I'm guilty of riding from one end of the place to the other because...well, I'm impatient. If they did it, though, I'd cope.
    "Over the course of my many years I have learned one thing: I don't know anything, I only think I do. And I'm not even sure about that." -- Rasgard the Wise
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I never had any performance issues,the only thing I don't like is how all companions are gathered by all the gates...it looks like a clone convention or something.

I just wish we could customize our companions like we can our BO in STO.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited May 2013
    I agree... IMHO companions should be visible only to the user when in town. It would immensely cut down on the lag.
  • aeldiraaeldira Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 29
    edited May 2013
    I don't really like that idea

How about an option to not show companions in non-combat areas? That way everyone can decide for themselves, depending on their hardware, esthetic preferences etc.
  • ninjajoeninjajoe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is also the option of saving your money up for a new pc.
  • nemonusnemonus Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2013
    Some people like showing of the ZEN companions, and in towns in the best place to do that.
  • lsyalsya Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't mind the companions. But I would like to see an auto-dismount when someone's talking to a vendor.
    L'sya Raiya
  • alpha1protocolalpha1protocol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 84
    edited May 2013
    zedfighter wrote: »

What I see every freakin day... gobs of polygons around the alter I have to render. Gobs of polygons at each gate I have to render, gobs at the AH and at quest NPCs.

Not only does this look like an extremely lazy developer decision, it's taxing everyone's systems just that much more.
    They aren't necessary and serve absolutely no function whatsoever while in town.

An even better idea for those having graphics problems.. is to set an (off) selector for other companions... in the video options.
  • tanerastaneras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I'll go one further, kill companions all together. I really hate this idea. They've already stated their interest in creating "pet classes" but why even bother? Pets aren't unique at all...
  • starkaosstarkaos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Make it an option. The freedom to choose is always the best option. If players want to see companions in Neverwinter, then they should. If they don't, then they shouldn't. As far as killing companions off completely, it is too late. Companions or pets seem to be a staple in most MMOs. People have got used to companions, spent a ton of money on companions, and grown to like or love their companions so Cryptic will never get rid of such a good source of income.
  • zedfighterzedfighter Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the only thing I don't like is how all companions are gathered by all the gates...it looks like a clone convention or something.

I agree, the clone army makes me shake my head every time I see it.
    ninjajoe wrote: »
    There is also the option of saving your money up for a new pc.

Typical moronic response to any performance related thread.
    nemonus wrote: »
    Some people like showing of the ZEN companions, and in towns in the best place to do that.

In GW1 you could deck out your heroes with nice looking gear. You couldn't summon those in town and no one was crying about it.
    I know that example is not exactly the same, but it's the same idea.
    lsya wrote: »
    I don't mind the companions. But I would like to see an auto-dismount when someone's talking to a vendor.

This idea I like for sure.
    An even better idea for those having graphics problems.. is to set an (off) selector for other companions... in the video options.

I really like this idea as well.
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    /signed100timesover.
  • klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Absolutely agree!

I hate going to Protector's Enclave, it's the only time the game crashes on me. I'd like to take it a step further and add an option to disable the showing of other players as well (and their stupid mounts!).
  • xuminaxumina Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 188 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I absolutely agree with the motion of no companions in town... Frodo... You have my sword.....
  • beanjamanbeanjaman Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yea really good idea. spes for tho's with lesser systems.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    An option to disable companions display in town would be nice.
  • ogkeltogkelt Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nemonus wrote: »

Yeah, I like laughing at the idiots that payed 200 bux too.
  • raedresnraedresn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Bad idea to not allow companions in town. They get a good amount of xp from your invocation so you want them with you while you're trying to level them up.
  • edgenwedgenw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 124 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    raedresn wrote: »
    Bad idea to not allow companions in town. They get a good amount of xp from your invocation so you want them with you while you're trying to level them up.

This. The companions have to be summoned to earn XP, and between turning in quests in a town, to professions, to invocations.. there are just a lot of opportunities to earn experience while in town.

An option not to display them, I can live with, but they need to stay in a summoned state until the experience sharing mechanics change. Although I suspect people want to force others to observe their $40 Zen Store purchased pet.
  • b0r7b0r7 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    First post
    What I see every freakin day... gobs of polygons around the alter I have to render. Gobs of polygons at each gate I have to render, gobs at the AH and at quest NPCs...it's taxing everyone's systems just that much more.

Typical counter reply
    Typical moronic response to any performance related thread.
    Funny that, not everyone lags. I don't. Its your crappy PC that is the problem, don't blame it on other people just because they have a pet summoned and request that their pet be turned off. It is your system that is having the problem, not some mythological epidemic you make up in your head that everyone suffers from.
  • drakonlord56drakonlord56 Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't mind the companions in town, but I do hate the constant roar of the panther and other mounts. They need to cut back on the amount of times it happens. I want to slap the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> of my panther, and put a muzzle on him.

Not only some mounts growl a lot, but when you are too lazy to get off the mount. I guess they don't care that you obstruct the line of sight to the vendors. Lack of courtesy and laziness. LoL :p
  • maximiliousmaximilious Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I play this game with a resolution of 6030 x 1080 (bezel corrected)

I probably render 3 times as much as you guys do, in town I have a stable FPS of 40-50 with 2 680GTX 4GB Vram.

If you have technical problems consider upgrading.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mrfappmeistermrfappmeister Member Posts: 38
    edited May 2013
    I agree completely, that constant roaring just made me muting nw sounds when Im in the city.
    Also remove mount from city and pvp, since from you get a mount it beccome a horse riding competition. Ore makeseparated cavalry pvp with battle mounts.