test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Playing the auction house

daradaldaradal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
What's the best way to play the auction house? Crafting, doubtful, dungeon drops, PVP gear, lockboxes? Should I only bother with level 60 stuff or do lower level drops sell too?

Anywhere I can see what items are going for what and how to get them, mostly how and where to get, I can see what they're going for on the auction block. Well I can see what people are asking at least.

What items to look for for to maximize profits? Things like that
Post edited by daradal on

Comments

• imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    If people post the best ways here, they become the worst ways over night. :p "Playing the AH" means buying low and reselling with profit. Due to the relatively high posting and AH fee this is not without risk. Knowing what to buy, and when, is the trick.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • daradaldaradal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    If people post the best ways here, they become the worst ways over night. :p "Playing the AH" means buying low and reselling with profit. Due to the relatively high posting and AH fee this is not without risk. Knowing what to buy, and when, is the trick.

You do make a point there and I wondered if even asking the question would be helpful.

I guess maybe what I asked isn't exactly what I was looking for.

Is it worth putting low level gear up there for people to buy?
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I would look at materials instead of gear.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Keep in mind that "playing the market" there are fees. So you have to account the fee to see even if it is WORTH to play it.

But if you are farming and posting to sell, that is a different story :)
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • clannamuirclannamuir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 217 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    daradal wrote: »
    You do make a point there and I wondered if even asking the question would be helpful.

I guess maybe what I asked isn't exactly what I was looking for.

In a word ... no.
  • northwind2008northwind2008 Member Posts: 64
    edited May 2013

No. The identification scrolls actually sell for more than the item.
  • anashimanashim Member Posts: 259 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    What's the best way to play the auction house? Crafting, doubtful, dungeon drops, PVP gear, lockboxes? Should I only bother with level 60 stuff or do lower level drops sell too?

Anywhere I can see what items are going for what and how to get them, mostly how and where to get, I can see what they're going for on the auction block. Well I can see what people are asking at least.

What items to look for for to maximize profits? Things like that
    The dungeon drops are mainly nickle-and-dime, but seem to be adding up. It seems, items of all levels sell. So far, maybe one in fifteen items posted sell. Both small and big.

As for fees, the fees seem to automatically get ignored for small items. For example, when I sold an item for 5 Astral Diamonds, the fee would be 5 Astral Diamonds, but I would get the full 5 AD anyway. As far as I can tell, the fee gets ignored for any items 10 AD or less. Whatever the exact number, dont worry about calculating for it. It only kicks in when reasonable to do so.
    edited May 2013
    Im learning the Auction House by trial-and-error. It is an interesting feature of the game.

My biggest problem, when buying for my own needs, is the 5 day bidding. By the time I got what I wanted, my character was too high a level to really make use of them. It seems I need to plan ahead better. Only buy high level items that I will eventually use, or else make sure there is just one day or less for the bidding.
    edited May 2013
    Slightly off topic, what do you guys know about the Ratings system for equipment?

In the Auction House, I cant make sense of the default prices. Sometimes items with high Critical Strike seem valuable, other times seem near worthless. And so on, for other Ratings, like Power, Piercing, etcetera. Defensive Ratings seem to get the highest prices, but in my opinion, are a waste of time for a Control Wizard, who just needs to not be hit in the first place.

Regarding Ratings prices for the equipment, is there a method to the madness?
    edited May 2013
    So when you put something up it suggests a price..is that based on anything it just arbitrary?
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So when you put something up it suggests a price..is that based on anything it just arbitrary?

Totally arbitrary. Try putting in a Nightmare Lockbox.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • timm4444timm4444 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 363
    edited May 2013

totally arbitary. . .

just look up the item your looking to sell first and base your price off that.

Also, use the BUYOUT FEATURE. . .
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    Totally arbitrary. Try putting in a Nightmare Lockbox.

probably why that berserker ring sold so fast lol oh well lesson learned.....