test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

<CTRL> key will lock focus to mob or player

starman1111starman1111 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Temple
I have seen a few people comment on how hard it can be to target one individual player for a HoT or a mob for a DoT when there are so many targets all bunched together.

If you hold down CTRL it will lock your target to whatever is under your cursor at that moment. If you locked in the wrong target, release CTRL and try again, then fire off your HoT, etc.
Post edited by starman1111 on

Comments

• surged28surged28 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wow... I did not know this, thank you. Annoyed the hell out of me when I would try to heal someone just to have another random person run in front right as i hit the encounter key.
  • mumnochmumnoch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    I have seen a few people comment on how hard it can be to target one individual player for a HoT or a mob for a DoT when there are so many targets all bunched together.

If you hold down CTRL it will lock your target to whatever is under your cursor at that moment. If you locked in the wrong target, release CTRL and try again, then fire off your HoT, etc.

I remapped my keyboard (I'm a leftie) and so far I can hit CTRL and lock onto a person but I have to release CTRL in order to hit my heal. Is this the way it's supposed to be or can you guys heal using Healing Word while holding CTRL down? Thanks for the insight!
  • starman1111starman1111 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hmm, I am pretty sure I have been able to HOLD CTRL and hit 'E' (button I have mapped for Healing Word) and it will hit the target. I will check later when I am in game.

BTW, holding CTRL makes fighting mobs that teleport around, so much easier.
  • canuck72canuck72 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks, I had no idea about that key

...with good reason it does not look like it is listed under the controls so you cannot bind it to a mouse ; (
  • bman1978bman1978 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 130 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    holy nuts! i feel dumb
    valor.png
    Moonshadow Drow Cleric, Mr. Pickles Human Control Wizard, Ogre Hafling Guardian Fighter
    On Dragon Shard @bman78
  • felixdamadcatfelixdamadcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sweet thanks for sharing this
  • nuratarnuratar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I know about the Ctrl feature, but does anyone know if it's possible to re-map ctrl function to any other key? I use it or "jump" (leftie here too...).
    Or is it so, that no matter if I remaped something to Crtl key, it will be used both to jump AND to lock on target?
  • luminestluminest Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thank you for sharing! xoxoxo
  • rikudou87rikudou87 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    surged28 wrote: »
    Wow... I did not know this, thank you. Annoyed the hell out of me when I would try to heal someone just to have another random person run in front right as i hit the encounter key.

My thoughts exactly haha. Thank you OP :)
    RIKUDOU GAMING
    GAMING GENERATION
  • run0ffrun0ff Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You got to Remap CTRL+R or your "R" Spell give a system error. Default Ctrl R is something to do with foundry near end of keymapping.
  • sgildersgilder Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    /bind <button> ++HardTargetLock

This will allow you to change from Left Control to another button, and it will be a toggle now instead of press and hold.

Just replace <button> with the button you want to use.

Example: /bind LShift ++HardTargetLock <--- this will change the button to left shift
  • mumnochmumnoch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    Is there a way to do this so it's still only locks while you hold it? Like the on/off of the target lock but as it stands now sometimes when I lock onto a person it won't "unlock" until I spam click the ctrl key. Be very bad in a dungeon where I need to rapidly switch targets heh.
    Example: /bind LShift ++HardTargetLock

sgilder wrote: »
    /bind <button> ++HardTargetLock

This will allow you to change from Left Control to another button, and it will be a toggle now instead of press and hold.

Just replace <button> with the button you want to use.

<--- this will change the button to left shift
  • montiblancmontiblanc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 97
    edited May 2013
    mumnoch wrote: »
    Is there a way to do this so it's still only locks while you hold it? Like the on/off of the target lock but as it stands now sometimes when I lock onto a person it won't "unlock" until I spam click the ctrl key. Be very bad in a dungeon where I need to rapidly switch targets heh.
    Example: /bind LShift ++HardTargetLock

I would also like to know this as I don't like to be stuck locked on to some1 & want to rebind the key anyway working like it does now
  • sgildersgilder Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mumnoch wrote: »

Just take off one + sign:

/bind <button> +HardTargetLock

Example: /bind LShift +HardTargetLock
    edited May 2013
    Thank you!
    sgilder wrote: »
    Just take off one + sign:

/bind <button> +HardTargetLock

Example: /bind LShift +HardTargetLock
  • montiblancmontiblanc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 97
    edited May 2013
    how do I bind it to caps lock? I tired Caps Lock, CapsLock doesn't work
  • pharalax1pharalax1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    But if you do it with ++HardTargetLock, you can use it on another player together with autorun and POOF, you now have follow function :D Thanks for this tip
  • jublingjubling Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Even after clearing the bind for Ctrl+R (reset map), Ctrl+R still doesn't fire off Healing Word if it's bound to R.

The ++HardTargetLock bind works well as a workaround (Thank you sglider!) but still doesn't fix the root issue that something as fundamental to the UI as using the default 'Focus' and your R encounter skill together ... is broken. :/