test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Warning: Sacred Flame damages allies

aetam1aetam1 Member Posts: 228 Arc User
edited October 2013 in The Temple
I already wrote a bug report but I think I should warn my fellow clerics. I used a plague fire enhancement for my weapon because I thought debuffing enemies would be a good idea. Unfortunately sacred flame will deliver that proc to allies. You can easily test that with the training dummies. So sacred flame now dots and debuffs any friendly in range. Sadly removing that enhancement is very expensive so I suppose I will have to use another attack till that gets fixed.

I have no idea if other enhancements work the same way. Could be that any dmg proc currently will be deliverd through sacred flame. Since this is the primary attack for any support cleric that kind of sucks but I suppose they will fix it soon.

If you do not use a weapon enhancement (which is only on max lvl weapons I think) you should be fine :)

My stomach is clear and my mind is full of bacon!
Post edited by aetam1 on

Comments

• Options
    deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Shouldn't your thread say.... Plague fire enchantment damages allies?
  • Options
    mrchocoperumrchocoperu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aetam1 wrote: »
    I already wrote a bug report but I think I should warn my fellow clerics. I used a plague fire enhancement for my weapon because I thought debuffing enemies would be a good idea. Unfortunately sacred flame will deliver that proc to allies. You can easily test that with the training dummies. So sacred flame now dots and debuffs any friendly in range. Sadly removing that enhancement is very expensive so I suppose I will have to use another attack till that gets fixed.

I have no idea if other enhancements work the same way. Could be that any dmg proc currently will be deliverd through sacred flame. Since this is the primary attack for any support cleric that kind of sucks but I suppose they will fix it soon.

If you do not use a weapon enhancement (which is only on max lvl weapons I think) you should be fine :)

So what are u saying is... if i use the "plague fire enhancement" for my weapon... the debuff is for any friendly in range and no monsters? uhhhh that's ewwww.. i just bought my t2 weapon and im thinking about a weapon enhancement for my weapon :'c
  • Options
    deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Weapon enchantments I use the Vorpal, which is +crit severity. Not sure if it actually works, since it doesn't add to my crit severity on my character screen, but I don't feel like changing it out to test and spend 100s of 1000s of AD.

Either way I'm all about healing, so it was the way to go. Hopefully if it's not working they fix it :p
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    deistik wrote: »
    Shouldn't your thread say.... Plague fire enchantment damages allies?

Well I would say that sacred flame is the main problem. I can only test the plague fire at the moment but who says that the founders enchantment does not damage allies too? Since it only has a chance to proc and does not that much damage you probably would not notice it.
    So what are u saying is... if i use the "plague fire enhancement" for my weapon... the debuff is for any friendly in range and no monsters? uhhhh that's ewwww.. i just bought my t2 weapon and im thinking about a weapon enhancement for my weapon :'c

It works on enemies as well. The problem is each 3rd hit of sacred flame gives allies temp hp. And besides the temp hp it also delivers the weapon proc. I set a low lvl player on fire when attacking a training dummy thats how i first noticed :/

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Well I would say that sacred flame is the main problem. I can only test the plague fire at the moment but who says that the founders enchantment does not damage allies too? Since it only has a chance to proc and does not that much damage you probably would not notice it.

Is it the temp HP that procs? Have you tested say, Lance or Seal? I'm just in love with Vorpal enchantment, I can't change. lol

edit: if it's just the temp HP that procs it, it's still an enchantment issue, although I kind of see your point.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Is it the temp HP that procs? Have you tested say, Lance or Seal? I'm just in love with Vorpal enchantment, I can't change. lol

edit: if it's just the temp HP that procs it, it's still an enchantment issue, although I kind of see your point.

It's the temp hp that procs it. So far its the only skill I noticed that procs it (thankfully). So you can avoid it by only using sacred flame two times I guess, which kind of defeats the purpose.
    Seal seems to be fine and since lance does not affect allies it should be fine too.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Do yourself a favor and use Brand of the Sun. It's so much better than SF anyway :)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Brand of th sun would be more for the 2nd slot instead of seal I think. With seal and sun the only thing you could spam would be seal. Also I kind of like the temp hp of SF. I put points into more healing if my targets have temp hp so I don't want to give up SF.

• Options
    dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Brand of th sun would be more for the 2nd slot instead of seal I think. With seal and sun the only thing you could spam would be seal. Also I kind of like the temp hp of SF. I put points into more healing if my targets have temp hp so I don't want to give up SF.

sacred flame builds action points and divinity faster if at any time you don't have to run around like a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> trying not to die.

if you have to run around like a chicken with it's head cut off, bots is your best and maybe only option.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    In the bottom paragon tree there is feat that gives you divine power each time a power comes of cooldown. You can max out the middle (healing tree) and still grab it. I know it is tempting to spend more points in the healing tree but divine power each time something comes of cooldown is just amazing. It works for each charge of healing word!

Since I specced this divine power is much less of a problem even if I can not spam sacred flame.

• Options
    quttidebachiquttidebachi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Ethereal Boon is what its called. Never leave home without it.
    Qutti'Debachi - Cleric
    <Rarely Sober> - Beholder
  • Options
    fugenchutenzfugenchutenz Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The question is which is better? Does Ethereal Boon give more DP than the one in the Righteousness tree that gives a flat 15% increase in AP gain? (first or second tier) I'm gonna say I have a gut feeling that Ethereal Boon is probably better while leveling since your stats are much lower and it's not stat related, but a well geared 60 the feat in the Righteousness tree is probably either comparable if not better.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The question is which is better? Does Ethereal Boon give more DP than the one in the Righteousness tree that gives a flat 15% increase in AP gain? (first or second tier) I'm gonna say I have a gut feeling that Ethereal Boon is probably better while leveling since your stats are much lower and it's not stat related, but a well geared 60 the feat in the Righteousness tree is probably either comparable if not better.

The 15% won't help you much unless you find a feat where running away gives divine power. In epic boss fights you will find that you will spend very little time on at will attacks. Most of the time you are kiting adds and dodging red circles. Also I have astral shield and healing word in every dungeon. I am still not sure what 3rd power to bring but it's the only slot that will deal dmg. So unless you waste a passive your divine power comes mostly from auto attacks.
    Ethereal boon will really help getting enough divine power to keep the astral shield up with the healing effect.

• Options
    fugenchutenzfugenchutenz Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The 15% won't help you much unless you find a feat where running away gives divine power. In epic boss fights you will find that you will spend very little time on at will attacks. Most of the time you are kiting adds and dodging red circles. Also I have astral shield and healing word in every dungeon. I am still not sure what 3rd power to bring but it's the only slot that will deal dmg. So unless you waste a passive your divine power comes mostly from auto attacks.
    Ethereal boon will really help getting enough divine power to keep the astral shield up with the healing effect.

Good call, I never thought of that.
  • Options
    sonorodsonorod Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I can confirm the plague fire bug. It's very disheartening to wonder if I made it easier for a group mate to die.
  • Options
    morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Also I have astral shield and healing word in every dungeon. I am still not sure what 3rd power to bring but it's the only slot that will deal dmg.

Sunburst? I couldn't live without it. HW, on the other hand, I don't miss at all. Mind you, I tended to target like a moron (targeting other morons), so I probably didn't get a lot of mileage out of it anyway.
  • Options
    dariyanorndariyanorn Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sonorod wrote: »
    I can confirm the plague fire bug. It's very disheartening to wonder if I made it easier for a group mate to die.

The dot applied to allies from the plague fire bug is so miniscule and is instantly healed up by that very same SF or Astral Seal.

Bug? Yes.
    Should we be worried? No.
  • Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    Weapon enchantments I use the Vorpal, which is +crit severity. Not sure if it actually works, since it doesn't add to my crit severity on my character screen, but I don't feel like changing it out to test and spend 100s of 1000s of AD.

Either way I'm all about healing, so it was the way to go. Hopefully if it's not working they fix it :p

You can test it on the Preview server for free.

I did just that and found that the critical severity is indeed increased, though in my test at least, not by as much as it should have been. I still want to run a test with a larger sample size.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • Options
    morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    How did you find this thread, and why did you bump it so badly? *is confused*

Thread necromancy is...generally discouraged, not least because it totally confused people.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    This thread was created before the Preview Shard was available.

It us great to share information but if a thread hasn't been posted on in over 30 days it's best to let it rest in peace. ;)

Thread Closed for Necromancy.
This discussion has been closed.