test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Chat Autocomplete Needs a Disable Option

jnaathrajnaathra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I'm getting really tired of trying to type a quick message in a stressful situation.. Like PVP or Dungeons.

When I go to type "the" I do not need it auto completed to "Theresana" or "Your" to "YourMom".

This is not a cell phone. I am not using a tiny keypad. I am using a keyboard. I do not need your chat system to baby me (and do a horrible job).

Thanks,

J
Scout Tragold - "I haven't lived this long by being brave... it's just another word for stupid."
Post edited by jnaathra on

Comments

• braxzanabraxzana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Granted, it can be handy to auto-fil someone's long convoluted name after typing a few characters... but with so many people with names that begin with common words, it's more annoying than helpful.
  • avarigirlavarigirl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I most heartily agree! the autocomplete feature is terrible terrible terrible! they could get rid of it completely and it would suit me. At the very list let us disable it.
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I forget where (maybe Twitter?) but they said that they're aware of the issue and they're looking into it.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • jnaathrajnaathra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    I forget where (maybe Twitter?) but they said that they're aware of the issue and they're looking into it.

I hope you are right!
    Scout Tragold - "I haven't lived this long by being brave... it's just another word for stupid."
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • thehadrielthehadriel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree! It's really annoying when you're typing only parts of someone's name and the auto-complete prevents you from sending out the message when pressing Enter.
  • platinuplatinu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree 100%. I type really fast. I do not need an auto-complete, especially the goofy one they have in-game. :p

Just the option to disable it would be awesome.
  • kimoy8520kimoy8520 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I can't even laugh on guild chat because lol turns into Lolobo..trololol
  • fakatikfakatik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    That's strange, autocomplete simply suggests names for me while typing and only if I press enter it fills in the rest. Otherwise I can simply go on typing normally.
    Aireina | Ashter | King Baldric | Oranges | Hello | Mikalin
  • daowacedaowace Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    After joining a guild, the amount of autocomplete that goes on when typing sentences is just ludicrous.

This needs to be addressed ASAP.

Tried fiddling for a console option but didn't find any.
  • smkymtndudesmkymtndude Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OMG, this is sooo horrible. I think it's worse if you're in a larger guild because it's always suggesting guildies names and such. I have a hard time finishing sentences, will suggest words and then make me take them. Example I want to say I am sad, it will suggest sadivarius and will refuse to let me just type sad. Frustrating, just need an option to turn it off or just do away with it, we don't need no autondehhiei. =P
  • lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've never had an issue with autocomplete... but then again I actually use punctuation, which would cancel the autocompleting anyway.
  • daowacedaowace Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lyokira wrote: »
    I actually use punctuation, which would cancel the autocompleting anyway.
    Hitting space seems to not have it autocomplete, but hitting enter to send a message does; so, if you're typing fast (either on multiple lines or don't use a period) you're spammed with auto-complete things and it's a god awful experience. Me and my friend are constantly having the end of our sentences autocompleted because of that.

Could try to use periods, but when talking casually with my friend we tend to not use grammar due to effort/speed, especially since we don't use voice chat (and never will).

I've gone through the complete command list and didn't find anything relevant to auto-complete.

Eagerly waiting a patch.. not only to rectify this, but to fix the numerous other issues the game has.
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited May 2013
    I agree.. that auto-fill sure is annoying. Maybe we can use @ as a trigger.
  • faydrellefaydrelle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes, please allow us to disable auto-complete. Annoying enough having to deal with this on phones. It's never actually done anything right thus far... like the other day, I replied with 'nice' cept autocorrect turned it into 'nice boat' :confused: whut? thanks? grumpy cat says NO.
  • daas66daas66 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    platinu wrote: »
    I agree 100%. I type really fast. I do not need an auto-complete, especially the goofy one they have in-game. :p

Just the option to disable it would be awesome.

All aboard! Sign me up yesterday!
    Daas - Half-elven Trickster Rogue
    Order of the Silver Dragons - Dragon Shard
  • stadulatorstadulator Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 75
    edited May 2013
    /signed

this needs to be in game. I type about 75 wpm, give or take, and don't require an automated system

the current in game system was obviously designed with the current generation of gamers in mind who spend more time using broken english and typing in symbols
  • forumalterforumalter Member Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    I concur. . .
  • brakkish1brakkish1 Member, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jnaathra wrote: »
    I'm getting really tired of trying to type a quick message in a stressful situation.. Like PVP or Dungeons.

When I go to type "the" I do not need it auto completed to "Theresana" or "Your" to "YourMom".

This is not a cell phone. I am not using a tiny keypad. I am using a keyboard. I do not need your chat system to baby me (and do a horrible job).

Thanks,

J
    I can't agree more. I'm sick to death of the whole chat system, but THIS has to be the nail in the coffin for me.
  • rustedheartzrustedheartz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Signed. This needs to be an option. So tired of the Autocomplete trying to make me say Hi to Alli(whatever) instead of Hi All when I join a party :/
    edited May 2013
  • noobzornoobzor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This needs a hearty bump, it frustrated me to no end today.
    "A Wizard is never late, he arrives precisely when he means to."

-
    edited May 2013
    Let's just treat this as an online version of the "Speak Good English" campaign.
  • noobzornoobzor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ...but it does quite the opposite. It can screw up sentences for those who can properly articulate.
    "A Wizard is never late, he arrives precisely when he means to."

-
    edited May 2013
    noobzor wrote: »
    ...but it does quite the opposite. It can screw up sentences for those who can properly articulate.

Only if you don't use punctuation.
  • vheraunvheraun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    lyokira wrote: »
    Seriously, does everyone but me not use punctuation?

^that. Simply put a period in the end of the sentence, and no Autocorrect. When you're typing that's not even an issue, the only problem could arise at the end, where something as simple as a period solves it. Now, I see that you may want to type lf3m for md, and don't want to waste another millisecond to add an exclamation mark or a period, but that's just your problem, isn't it?
  • maatisanmaatisan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    punctuation doesn't solve the problem when I use guild chat if the first two letters of any word matches a guild member's name it automatically puts in their name. To be honest they just need a disable auto correction button.