test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Good and The Bad, a Neverwinter's tale by Negnar

negnarlodennegnarloden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
After playing the game a while now and getting through a lot of its content, i thought i'll give my feedback here, so that if the devs wish, they can grasp a few things from a gamer that spent thousands of hours on D&D and more so on other rpgs and other games.

The Good:
- Storytelling, you guys rly got that right, its fun, its interesting, and it actually has got a climate. (the slight bad thing here would be so that we get everything in a bundle drows/demons/orcs/undead in a not so long journey). Overall that i think is the strongest part of the game, gj!
- The Foundry. Not such a powerfull tool as the original NwN aurora was, but thats understandable. And pretty fun. Develop it any further and it might in fact get great.
- The Dungeons and visuals of the world... It catches the eye... and the whispering caverns and the underdark dungeons, a tear comes to my eye, remembering the first underdark adventures in BG.
- Keeping it simple in terms of what you see, as a D&D should be, and is meant to be, the visuals aren't overall sparky and keep the climate of a fantasy based on the medieval times.

The mediocre:
- PvP -> well... its ok so far... but nothing more than that, too small/straightforward to be good... no Diversity, 2 maps.

The bad:
- UI/tooltip complexity... like the now famous CW Power, that makes ppl think if they max out previous powers they will get a bonus one... Or the different ways of retrieving items from auction/zen exchange/zen shop. In one place you have to go to mail. The second one you have to find the "withdraw" button. The third, you have to transfer zen onsite to the game. All this makes so much confusion that the main zone chat in protectors is just spammmmmmmmed like hell. I get that ppl will eventually figure everything out... but like now... its rubbish. Keep it simple! make everything go to mailbox (and dont allow ppl to check mail anywhere and withdraw items only from mailbox... too much confusion again!).
- Currencies... (though it might just be my confusion from the above). I mean... AD is a currency, straight up, and from the currency deffinition it should be tradeable... Those are not seals nor tokens... But in a normal trade can you actually face to face pay someone certain amount of AD? If not... why we call it currency if we can use it only in AH.
- Cageing players... its not open world. its maps, that you port to through... doors quite often. An open world would make it so much more enjoyable (but that might be just my personall view of the case) -> however the maps themselves are very well and fun designed, in that matter its great!
- Invisible walls... Honestly... since they first appeared in games, i hated them from than... nothing bumps me so hard when i jump i find ways to places high where possible noone else was... and i hit a wall, that i cant see. Even more... there are death walls in here, evolved versions! (Yes i get the fact why there are those... it makes everything so simple in terms of designing terrain/locations, but still, for me, those are a cheap excuse to few more hours of testing and designing)

The Terribad:
- Its not D&D when it comes to game mechanics... period. (And i hoped there might still be a slight chance of multiclassing ;>)
- The lack of customization. <- that the biggest flaw right there. There is very little to no space in terms of customizing ones abilities and feats, whereas D&D is vast in this. And the lack of customizing ones visuals... I mean cmon guys... you made one armor model for each of the classes (they dont even differ much between races), and thought "Oh my... mby we will take stuff and textures of this model and make it so that you get the full look of it at endgame?". I mean rly... that hurts my eyes and my heart so bad... One ******* armor model. I thought it was a cheap joke, but even with money i cant make my char look different (and i dont mean dyes couse creating dying takes like no time programming wise). I mean... have you ever played a D&D, part of the fun is to create your own looks, it doesn't have to be shiny, it doesn't have to be sparky... just fit your personal taste. Even in the 90s we had games with more customization options than here, honestly.

Overall the game is fun to play and i home the few things that are lacking now is couse it is, in fact a beta. and will eventually get fixed, modified, expanded.

PS: I didn't mention ofcourse the obvious problems each game has in the beggining -> bugs, and ppl that try to scam the early market (and by that i mean to take advantage off ppl not knowing things about the game -> like the fact you can buy lockboxes for 200AD in shop), i know its how it is in real world aswell.. i just dont like that kind of acts.

And if you read that all... GL&HF ingame!
Post edited by negnarloden on

Comments

• Options
    infi321infi321 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I thought it was a cheap joke, but even with money i cant make my char look different (and i dont mean dyes couse creating dying takes like no time programming wise).

Welcome to f2p mmos.
    "Your story may not last forever; but it will exist forever"
  • Options
    negnarlodennegnarloden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well i wouldn't mind if i had to pay it... I prefer it when you can pay for appearance only not for boosters. Unfortunetaly it seems we have both in here