test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do Guardian Fighters get better?

2»

Comments

• elanithelanith Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We want to control the fight. In most MMOs today that comes down to: round up the mobs, maintain threat and mitigate as much of the damage as possible. That isnt the case in this game so far. I actually like the fact its a challenge for a GF to maintain threat, tho im not overly happy with our mark machanic, but my only real beef is that DPS get it easy and healers are the ones who get to have all the fun if the GF cant maintain agro.
  • luvvyyyluvvyyy Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    armorbox wrote: »
    Then what is reason for existence of GF at all? Another DPS? It wont be able to DPS as good as other classes same as he unable to tank. What a shame - one usable build for whole class.

At the risk of sounding stupid, I am new here at Neverwinter but what is DPS standing for please? :(
  • luvvyyyluvvyyy Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Where can I look to see the best way to build a GF? I have one only level 5 but I'd like to build her correctly or at least with common sense. Is there a link to view all the classes and how to build them?

thanks in advance.
  • elanithelanith Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Tank Centric:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?176972-Rokuthy-s-Hybrid-Tanking-Build-(GF)-for-End-Game-PvE-(and-PvP)-content

PVP Centric:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?166451-Envy-s-DPS-Guardian-Fighter-compendium

Read both of them, even they agree their builds are very similar, but their focus is different. Both come with a LOT of very good info. Personally im not into pvp much so i tend to follow Rokuthy's post more, but Envy's was the original post that had many of us thinking differently about what we need to do to tank in this game.
  • tufuiegoeristufuiegoeris Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Actually they get better, then get worse. Starting game GF are horribad. Then they become ridiculously overpowered at lvl 20 odd once you can hire the cleric companion... then slowly get worse, and worse...
  • lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm at lv 28, don't see how I'm getting worse at all.

Tip: Get Knight's challenge, use it OFFENSIVELY. Knight's challenge + Villain's menace lets you burst down bosses like a rogue.
  • bashyboo1bashyboo1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They become kings of the arena.
  • greyahgreyah Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My own biggest issue with the guardian fighter is the lack of a dodge, but not for the reason you'd think.

Everyone else has a dodge or sprint or something, which is faster than running. People tend to use this to get from A to B quickly, so as a guardian fighter you're always chasing your friends around, and get into combat late. That's kinda annoying.

Then there's falling. I'm not sure if the great weapon fighter's sprint avoids fall damage, but the guardian's block obviously doesn't.
    Dodging, however, resets your fall distance to the point at which you either dodged, or when your dodge ended. Because you don't travel very vertically when dodging mid-air, that means you can dodge just above the ground, and never take fall damage.

As a guardian fighter, you'd have to either get behind even further, or risk losing a huge amount of HP through falling.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I really enjoy leveling my GF. It's slower than it was with my CW, but it's also "simpler" in the sense that you can just tank stuff and don't have to move out of red areas since you can simply block it. I also enjoy the instant queues. In PvP it's a blast when even in the 20s you can keep three people occupied for quite some time while your team caps the other bases (if they pay attention). I don't find the damage all that horrible. Certainly better than the GWF in the 10-30 range.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • cendialcendial Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    my gf at 60 does nearly 6k a normal hit, and upwards of 12-14k a critical hit. when i run a epic dungeon i am always number 1 in damage dealt, and usually bu a portion of 500k or more, gf is a viable dps, especially when it comes to groups of mobs, he can tear through them faster then any other class with the aoe's he has at his disposal