test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Are the zen store prices a detriment to the game?

13»

Comments

• Options
    hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    dirtn4p wrote: »
    Anyone who uses disposable income on a hobby is obviously sick. Think of all of the golfers just throwing money away to chase a little white ball around while there are people with no money! They should all shoot themselves!

Anyway, I'm already back to playing League of Legends, this game was uninstalled taking up valuable SSD space. I just want to come back here and check these forums to watch the game die.

Keep to your word on that
  • Options
    vorninvornin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    @wartimeraider

You said it yourself. The players reaction is what is important. Which has been negative across the board. You know you're in the minority too. Nice empathy though. /sarcasm. Your "See ya" solution only means so much to people who have been hearing that sort of attitude for YEARS on forums of games that have been foretold to fail, have been defended by people such as yourself, and then proceeded to go the way of the dodo despite how much you may wish otherwise.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    vornin wrote: »
    @wartimeraider

You said it yourself. The players reaction is what is important. Which has been negative across the board. You know you're in the minority too. Nice empathy though. /sarcasm Your "See ya" solution only means so much to people who have been hearing that sort of attitude for YEARS on forums of games that have been foretold to fail, have been defended by people such as yourself, and then proceeded to go the way of the dodo despite how much you wish otherwise.

Except those games are still around, and going strong.

SWTOR is the latest best example. At launch the forum was filled with complaints and rage. Now it's doing just fine.

The problem with forums is that they are, by and large, the home of the discontent. So trying to extrapolate from the forums to the general "players' reaction" isn't going to be accurate at all.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    wartimeraiderwartimeraider Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The only problem i mostly have with the forums is that i really hope that the devs hopefully really revaluate stuff on it and dont do the idea that has been voted most on :)
    And sure, i like being the minority.. But that doesnt mean im wrong :p
    timeraiderlogo2smaller.gif

Elf Control Wizard - Dragon
  • Options
    jorealjoreal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    @wartimeraider

You said it yourself. The players reaction is what is important. Which has been negative across the board. You know you're in the minority too. Nice empathy though. /sarcasm. Your "See ya" solution only means so much to people who have been hearing that sort of attitude for YEARS on forums of games that have been foretold to fail, have been defended by people such as yourself, and then proceeded to go the way of the dodo despite how much you may wish otherwise.

I'm glad you choose to ignore the people who disagree. There are lots of people who are saying the prices are fine. There are just a noisy bunch that like to make multiple posts saying its bad. You can buy everything in the cash shop via grinding in game. You do not need to spend a dime on the game to get everything. The prices are reasonable for the things you get, if you don't want to support the game or play it enough to earn the things you want then don't play it. There are lots of games that will gladly take your money and give you nothing but access in return.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    That game was filled with valid complaints. "Just fine" is, last I heard, under 300k players down from 2 million? SWTOR is less nickle and dimed than even this game. and that's run by EA. Didn't think I'd ever say that. This game doesn't have the grace and replayability to fall back on either. With no guarantee that this game won't be abandoned in favor of one of their other 11 MMOs... yeah. If you think it's only in the forums then go check Zone chat. It doesn't take long before it's being talked about.
  • Options
    borneolborneol Member Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    And people saying its pay to win..
    Sure its pay to win.. Except he maximal you can "win" is some mount speed and a cosmeticly better pet which is overruled by passive green pets anyway.

Well technically you can "win" item enchants too, but those cost only a little over a thousand dollars to fully max out so we don't really have to count cheap things like that do we? Poor people don't deserve to be competitive in PvP.
  • Options
    jorealjoreal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    Except those games are still around, and going strong.

SWTOR is the latest best example. At launch the forum was filled with complaints and rage. Now it's doing just fine.

The problem with forums is that they are, by and large, the home of the discontent. So trying to extrapolate from the forums to the general "players' reaction" isn't going to be accurate at all.

Exactly and every discontent person is always "speaking for the majority" when in reality they are speaking for themselves only. Then they get all butthurt when people don't agree with them which just further undermines their points.
  • Options
    robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    @wartimeraider

You know, I could buy into this, if I hadn't watched one particular MMO's forum for 8 years. Every other week, it was the end of the game. Every new MMO released was going to kill it, etc etc. It's CS prices make this one look absolutely reasonable, and while the new publisher may indeed finally fulfill the gloom and doom prophecies, it took full 8 years from the first instance of "this game is going to die" for it to actually happen, and, truth be told, at the time of this writing, it still hasn't officially died.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Like you guys aren't doing the exact same thing. Whatever, it doesn't matter in the long run. Time will most certainly tell, like it always does. You can live with your purchases, I've been burned too many times before.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That game was filled with valid complaints. "Just fine" is, last I heard, under 300k players down from 2 million? SWTOR is less nickle and dimed than even this game. and that's run by EA. Didn't think I'd ever say that. This game doesn't have the grace and replayability to fall back on either. With no guarantee that this game won't be abandoned in favor of one of their other 11 MMOs... yeah. If you think it's only in the forums then go check Zone chat. It doesn't take long before it's being talked about.

Just under 500k *subscribers* and somewhere around twice as many active F2P. A year and a half after launch, those are really good numbers.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    amera35amera35 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dirtn4p wrote: »
    I installed this game with friends about four days ago. I absolutely love the game play............uninstalled today.

I've spent just over $2k on League of Legends between mine and my son's accounts, over $400 on D3, over $500 on Battlefield Heroes, over $200 on Firefall, almost $300 on TERA when it went F2P and other titles as well. I always felt like I got my money's worth on cosmetic items and felt good about supporting the game because of reasonable prices.

The point is that when a game is good, I dump disposable income into games. It's my hobby. I will not however support the biggest cash grab of a business model I've ever seen in a game release. The zen market is the most blatant form of virtual theft I've ever seen. This company will not see a single dime from me, or another minute of game time. I know for a fact that the guys I play with are not spending a dime on this either and they usually support games monetarily, only on a slightly smaller scale than I do.

Good riddens Neverwinter. So much potential too, tsk tsk.

Peace.

Not defending the NW model, but how can you possibly complain about it compared to D3? D3 is the absolute perfect incarnation of p2w. The "entire game" is based on getting gear, all of which you can buy for real-life money. And worse, that money flows both ways - that amazing crossbow you are hauling around can be transformed into $250.

At least in PW games the real money enters the system but can't come out (e.g., you can't turn zen back into real cash). That is a huge difference.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    amera35 wrote: »
    At least in PW games the real money enters the system but can't come out (e.g., you can't turn zen back into real cash). That is a huge difference.

Be afraid. I am. The CEO of Cryptic apparently thinks turning Zen into cash would be really keen...
    "It'd be great if people could cash-out," Zinkievich said - as in, earn real-world money by playing Neverwinter, "but we're not doing that. We might do it in the future but it's really not on the table right now."

Original article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-03-neverwinter-draft

STO thread on same: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=648741
  • Options
    vaelfearvaelfear Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well cya then guys.

I dont get why people care about stuff they wont buy...
    Even if they sold a mount for 20000 dollar.. Why would you even care a sigle tiny bit about how other people spend their money. The prices cant be to high or to low as every person decided wether or not its worth it.

If you think its not worth it.. Tough luck dude.. Thats life!
    Im happy there are people who do think its worth it cause they keep the game free for those greedy players who expect everything to be just like a subscription game except for no subscription costs.
    And people saying its pay to win..
    Sure its pay to win.. Except he maximal you can "win" is some mount speed and a cosmeticly better pet which is overruled by passive green pets anyway.
    As much as people blame the cashshop.. A game never fails because of the cashshop.. A game fails because of the way players react to it.

Take an Economics class, then return to correct your errors.
  • Options
    kiry3kiry3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
    edited May 2013
    zurkhon wrote: »
    I purchased some extra character slots, bags, vault space and a few keys.
    And although I would like to get a few companions and mounts for some diversity, I personally will not pay the prices for those items.

I can do without, so it's no big deal.
    I enjoy playing lots and lots of alts so unless they have some "all character on account" companions and mounts than I will not be going for the $20, $30 or $35 items.
    I'm the same way. I really would like to spend some cash on companions or mounts, but its just not worth the price. It's just too high. I paid for some things, and have stopped. I am starting to feel like I'm being taken advantage of instead of supporting a great game. It's just unfortunate.
  • Options
    jonnyregjonnyreg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cesmode8 wrote: »
    But, instead of complaints, here are a few suggestions:

-Remove the zen cost of respeccing. I dont care what your reasoning is Cryptic/PWE. Paying to respect doesn't belong in an MMO. You should have thought of this before you decided to make the game an MMO. If you cant give players free respects, get out of the MMO genre. You do not belong here.

The only real Zen store problems I'm having right now are bags, bank, and the biggie for me RESPEC! I think that (what is it?) six bucks worth of Zen for a respec is straight up garbage. Hell any Zen. Respecing and trying new specs and experimenting is a major part of any MMO. To put it behind this kind of pay wall is ridiculous. Even costing diamonds is silly. It should be simple gold. Honestly, it's a junk thing to do.
  • Options
    berycberyc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well cya then guys.

I dont get why people care about stuff they wont buy...
    Even if they sold a mount for 20000 dollar.. Why would you even care a sigle tiny bit about how other people spend their money. The prices cant be to high or to low as every person decided wether or not its worth it.

See, this isn't it at all. I'm not saying, "This is too expensive, I'm just not going to buy it! Eff this game!!!1". I love D&D, I love MMOs, and I really really really WANT to buy stuff from the cash shop. I like supporting games I like, and I like NVW so far as I've played it (which is not that much, compared to most of you guys). But with the current model, I can't justify it, and I won't do it. That, and with it there, and the previous acknowledgment, it's like dangling a carrot in front of me. I want to, but I won't, but I want to. And because of that, it makes me not even want to play the base game.
  • Options
    dirtn4pdirtn4p Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    beryc wrote: »
    it's like dangling a carrot in front of me. I want to, but I won't, but I want to. And because of that, it makes me not even want to play the base game.

Exactly! I was literally one click away, all my credit card information entered, from buying the founders pack a few days ago...until I saw the price for Zen and what the dollar value was for the cosmetic items I wanted to buy. You explained it perfectly. It's the fact that the carrot was dangled in front of me to rip me off that I chose to uninstall the game, because I really want to buy those items and support the game, but I can think of other things I want to spend 40 bucks a pop on where my dollar goes a LOT further!
  • Options
    lokaidraxmartislokaidraxmartis Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thing is right now are plenty throwing money at the game, mostly for boxes, and small stuff. For now thats going to tell PWE its ok to charge these prices... no matter how loud you yell as long as they are making a profit they do not give a !@#$ what you think about there prices.

How is that a problem? because in a couple of months it will finally dawn on most people how much money they wasted on this game, and just how much value they got out of it. Once it settles in that every single alt is going to need a TON of bags and other little things... people will wake up. By then it'll be to late... and people will jump ship. Will the game die? no... but for those of us want to stick with it...we get stuck with giant prices will never go away...
  • Options
    lordtureilimlordtureilim Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 63
    edited May 2013
    Yeah. Theyre all a little on the high end.
    "The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time. "
    What better happen when Paladins are introduced someday...A glorious union it shall be.
  • Options
    pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think in the long run the prices will hurt the game. I think they are targeting the wrong audience with these prices.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • Options
    tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I am tired and will admit to not reading the "entire" thread...

Just a rehash of all the other threads regarding said topic....

You are capable of making your own decisions. Swipe a card or invest time. This is not a hard concept so don't let other people dictate your reaction with an emotional response.

You can throw all the numbers at me you want both for and against and I can prove both sides wrong.

Do not look to the forums to validate your ideals.

Figure out what is fun for you. You want to log in and on day 1 be equal to someone that has played 2 years? Credit card swipe is right over here......

You want to beat all the players that spent money whereas you didn't spend a dime? Here is the path you must journey...

Questions???