test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

R u sure Im a healer?

2»

Comments

• biotabondobiotabondo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I use the dire wolf (striker) or the man-at-arms.

I didn't realize there was an ACT module for Neverwinter, I will have to check that out.

In Cragmire my group lost the tank about halfway through, so one of the two clerics ended up tanking the whole time and I ended up using healing word quite a lot in the final fight. Honestly though most of the fights are so chaotic that I can't really tell who is a tank and who is not so I just stand in the middle spam AoE, Astral Seal everything and so on. I don't think I'm an expert I just press a lot of buttons and have fun running around. ACT will definitely increase my understanding of what is effective.
  • epictrilogyepictrilogy Member Posts: 85
    edited May 2013
    At the same level I double all other clerics heals in PvP and in Skirmishes so I can say for 100% certain most clerics are doing it wrong or not putting the same level effort in. I stay really focused in dungeons/pvp
  • lokaidraxmartislokaidraxmartis Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    you are doing it wrong... on my level 16 healer doing CW i was keeping up with the GWF, and CW and rogue wasnt that far ahead...

Sunburst...
    use it!
    love it!
    abuse it!

that ability hits like a truck, heals everyone, and is on a fairly short cooldown... i cant stress that enough...i love my cleric alot =x
  • frost168frost168 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yeah, if u are only trying to heal with your cleric, then you are screwed. These are not your typical MMO style clerics. IMO they are much much better.

First, stop trying to heal.

Second, focus on damage mitigation and using your "Divine" mode to cast your nukes with Healing effects. The damage mitigation IE Astral shield, coupled with the lower heals, will more than keep your party healed.

Third, you need a good group. As allllll these posts indicate that not only do most clerics not know how to play this cleric, but most other people can't play their classes either. This is not a typical character that most are so used to.

Adapt and overcome !!!
  • daschladaschla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 240 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I am going to ask this question in his spec thread, instead.
    Sister Vanity knows if you've been naughty or nice...and heals accordingly.
  • fietusfietus Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Atm we can't get into the game due to patching.
    I'm level 26 now, and if there's anything I learned so far is that in the lower levels you just do very few healing and there is nothing you can do about that. You just haven't been given the tools for good healing yet. They all require certain talents or feats that you can't get to yet, you have to be higher level, or you have to have spent more talents before being able to reach some.

At my current level most of my healing comes from putting my seal on as many enemies as I can and keeping that up. Really healing allies with my 1 true healing spell is almost impossible I hardly ever manage to find the player I want to heal amongst the other players and all the mobs. Keeping seal up and using your flame spell to damage enemies and get healing from crits on enemies is the way to go so far for me. I am always the one who heals the most, and am usually 3rd, 4th or last on damage.

Healing in this game is not the same as in wow, maybe you can compare it a very little bit to monk style healing, where for a long time (don't know if it still is), but using Jab on enemies was a very decent way to heal.
    In lower levels most of your healing will be passive from seal or damage that heals allies for x amount.
  • skylia120410skylia120410 Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I am level 20 and haven't had a problem did my first cloak tower yesterday and got a taste of how things can be chaotic and difficult to target but it was pretty awesome and fun. Soloing is hella fun as well. it will take patience and DC has a bit of learning curve I actually broke down and bought a respec because I noticed a few things felt off just play your way and make sure you swap skills accordingly on you hotbars to best benefit your team, at lvl 20 you second daily power slot opens so that will assist you.

I am building a cleric site feel free to check it out it might help a bit www.devoteclericnw.weebly.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character handle:@skylia120410
    (www.gwfnw.weebly.com)
    GWF GUIDE SITE: Still being worked on not 60 yet
    Divine Misfits (one of the Guild Leaders)(Guild Site Manager)
    www.divinemisfits.guildlaunch.com
  • trasidtrasid Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In my opinion, healing 1-30 was a walk in the park. 30-49 has been significantly harder. The threat reduction bug probably has a lot to do with it, but I feel as though nothing truly heals enough, there are a lot of OH $H1T moments. I am currently level 41, and in a group run for the more recent dungeons (level 40ish) I have been using forgemasters, healing word and sun burst. I really feel as though as Deistik said, we should get astral shield sooner than 50 - maybe not so soon as 30, but level 40 would be nice!
  • honoraryorangehonoraryorange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    At 18 I was usually #2 for dps in groups (#1 sometimes if there was no rogue), always top healer, often top number of kills, and top damage taken if we had no tank :)

I think you're not using your skills well. Check out some of the guides that have been posted.
  • lotsabulletslotsabullets Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Myself, I don't see this as "healing" since every class can heal themselves. As a cleric, your job is to prevent your party from dying.
    There is a very small difference between the 2 and if you are unable to look at anything other than numbers, you will be unable to understand it.
    The numbers can give a vague indication of how you stand compared to other, but it's only that, a indication.
    If you want to do a test, get in a group and only dps, no heal under any form (not even passives). You'll see the party going down like flies :)
  • doomsday22kdoomsday22k Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    happened to me yesterday
    The group ran ahead (as they do) and the tank and I stayed back to get at a few chests.

Few seconds later they are all dead, tank and I are fighting a handful of mobs and winning.
    I got the call out.. Nice healing dude.. lol evidently they WERE upset I wasn't there to take care of them. :-)

So our heals do make a difference.
    Playing a DC just involves a small shift in conventional mindset.

Debuffing is highly useful as well. Anything that reduces the enemies health/strength and boosts your groups
    is also a huge win.
  • shandareneeshandarenee Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just hit level 29 and I only remember ONCE since my first skirmish being knocked off the top spot for Medic and I have been playing WoW since the day it was released. This isnt WoW and it's a new play-style and personally I love it, especially when I get a good pug.

And to be honest, you dont have to wait until level 50 to be good at being a cleric. Do what I did (was lucky to find this at level 14), put unspecified's videos on repeat and study them like they're verses from the bible, no pun intended.
  • damerflinn1damerflinn1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Healing is so different in this game. I'm max level on my CW, and just started my Cleric because I love to heal as well. But I can notice a healer has an impact, it's just in different ways. For example, if you are a Wizard, you should never be anything but last on damage taken. With all your control and mobility, its super easy to avoid damage. So all I ever need is a potion now and then. The point is that almost ALL damage can be avoided in this game. The Cleric is there to heal up the damage you have to take in order to do damage as a melee character.

The combat system is flawed in a way that makes melee characters extremely unfriendly in PvE. The reason for this is that the skill based system of dodging damage means that a melee character HAS to take some damage. The Cleric is there to heal that damage up. The small incidental damage that you either couldn't avoid, or was small enough that more damage was worth it.

Then there are the buffs. I haven't gotten deep enough in the class to see the specifics of them, but its hard to miss the circles on the ground, and the fact that when I stand in them, I do better. It's that healing is not the same in this game. It's way closer to Triage healing from early Cata then it is end game WoW at any point. Your healing the damage that MUST be healed, and counting on your team to not take damage they can avoid.