test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Armor Customization - Can I Get a Dev Reply Mayhaps?

wakerglasswakerglass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
enjoying the game immensely! my only real concern at this stage, is the appearances of us players in-game. we all sorta.... look exactly the same. any plans in the works to add more variations in the fashion store by chance? or to armor in general? dyeing, i fear, simply isn't enough. especially when there's only 5 or so dyes available.

i realize this is beta! and i'm fairly certain you all plan to improve on this feature; just looking for some reassurance while i'm bored off my chair at work...

anyway, this game looks amazing and, frankly, it's a bummer to see every other rogue looking exactly like me. the restriction is simply immersion-breaking. and as a d&d title, i know this isn't what you're going for.

thanks a ton!
Post edited by wakerglass on

Comments

• elawynelawyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There are subtle differences between armors. Some not so subtle.

And don't underestimate the power of dyes. There's at least ten different ones available (and 4-5 drop so you don't even need to spend cash).

Here's my rogue (Level 35 gear). Tell me I look exactly like every other rogue out there.

elrogue2.jpg
  • wakerglasswakerglass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
    edited May 2013
    elawyn wrote: »
    There are subtle differences between armors. Some not so subtle.

And don't underestimate the power of dyes. There's at least ten different ones available (and 4-5 drop so you don't even need to spend cash).

Here's my rogue (Level 35 gear). Tell me I look exactly like every other rogue out there.

elrogue2.jpg

touche! looking good for sure, elawyn!

but what if a player like me is looking for a more shabby-looking appearance such as the traveler npc's walking around the enclave? i typically roleplay a weathered drifter. cloak/ hood / all gray rags.. i'm at a loss!
  • muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My CW just wears the peasant garb you get early on. He looks great IMO. An old weathered hermit. I have not tried dying those though, so not sure what they'd look like.
  • palelonginuspalelonginus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Better selection of dyes would help a lot. I mean there's not even brown. And actually for the price they're asking, they should just give us 'magic dye' that would let us any colour on the palette like in the Foundry.
  • wakerglasswakerglass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
    edited May 2013
    muzrub333 wrote: »
    My CW just wears the peasant garb you get early on. He looks great IMO. An old weathered hermit. I have not tried dying those though, so not sure what they'd look like.

yeah i thought of that. a would love it if they offered a hood/cloak for the head piece in the costume tab! but as of now, my TR looks like an out-of-work juggler...
  • elawynelawyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Some of the neck pieces (amulet things) appear as cloaks, but fancy looking rather than scruffy.

regular shirt and pants can be dyed.

Just took these. Same coloring, but in level 40-42 mob dropped gear to replace the L35 stuff in the previous pic. YOu can see the subtle differences (plus the cloak at the back)

elrogue3.jpg

and in just the 'fancy' shirt and pants made from leatherworking

elrogue4.jpg
    edited May 2013
    jesus they really don't want ladies covered up do they?
  • stonedbillstonedbill Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And how much does dye cost?
    1ovlbg9.png

Smoke@stonedbill - Mindflayer - 60 Rogue
    edited May 2013
    Some of the neck pieces (amulet things) appear as cloaks, but fancy looking rather than scruffy.

regular shirt and pants can be dyed.

Just took these. Same coloring, but in level 40-42 mob dropped gear to replace the L35 stuff in the previous pic. YOu can see the subtle differences (plus the cloak at the back)

elrogue3.jpg

and in just the 'fancy' shirt and pants made from leatherworking

elrogue4.jpg

whoa wait, what fancy shirt and pants from leatherworking? i'm a leatherworker...
  • hipolipolopigushipolipolopigus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wakerglass wrote: »
    jesus they really don't want ladies covered up do they?
    They do in the heavier classes. Full chain shirt :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Want to know why Neverwinter is so laggy? Check out the "Latency" section in this thread.
  • tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    stonedbill wrote: »
    And how much does dye cost?

They do drop, rarely, but they do. They are also put up on the AH a lot, just so you know. I think some 4 packs of primary colors costs like 200 zen, while black is more, but i forget how much off hand, if you want the store.
    edited May 2013
    whoa wait, what fancy shirt and pants from leatherworking? i'm a leatherworker...

Make a regular shirt. The it can be upgraded to a detailed one. Then it can be upgraded to a 'Superb' one. Those are the superb ones. Shirt is level 30, +28 power, +28 critical strike, +12 defense, pants are also 'superb', with the same stats.

At level 13 leatherworking, superb goes to embroidered, and the rare is gemmed embroidered, level 40. +44 power and crit, +26 armor penetration +19 defense, AND a defense slot (blue qulity)
    edited May 2013
    They do in the heavier classes. Full chain shirt :P

Bare midriffs seem to be unavoidable, I posted this in another thread, but it's the most covering i've found for my CW, which is pretty good except for that midriff part. Since we can't preview items, it makes trying out new looks harder. :\

8715165083_f8770f0148_b.jpg
    edited May 2013
    tfangel wrote: »
    Bare midriffs seem to be unavoidable, I posted this in another thread, but it's the most covering i've found for my CW, which is pretty good except for that midriff part. Since we can't preview items, it makes trying out new looks harder. :\

8715165083_f8770f0148_b.jpg

not to mention the gaping cleavage window directly over the HEART.
    edited May 2013
    Make a regular shirt. The it can be upgraded to a detailed one. Then it can be upgraded to a 'Superb' one. Those are the superb ones. Shirt is level 30, +28 power, +28 critical strike, +12 defense, pants are also 'superb', with the same stats.

At level 13 leatherworking, superb goes to embroidered, and the rare is gemmed embroidered, level 40. +44 power and crit, +26 armor penetration +19 defense, AND a defense slot (blue qulity)

oooh hmm i see i see. is there a way to make just shirts and pants show up as your appearance? like can you attach the shirt graphic to the fashion slotted peasant's shirt? does what i'm asking even make any sense =P
  • anashimanashim Member Posts: 259 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Elwyn, in this case, part of the solution to look “scruffy”, would be to switch to the “fashion” avatar on the character sheet. Then appear in the peasant garb that the hero originally starts with. Probably, you can dye it, and mix-and-match it with the aristocrat fashion items. It seems you can use the equipment slots in battle, even when it is the fashion slots that appear. Effectively the fashion avatar is the location to artistically enhance the hero.
  • palelonginuspalelonginus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    All the shirts and trousers I've managed to aqcuire look exactly the same, except in different colours...
    edited May 2013
    oooh hmm i see i see. is there a way to make just shirts and pants show up as your appearance? like can you attach the shirt graphic to the fashion slotted peasant's shirt? does what i'm asking even make any sense =P

No. These are the shirts and pants that go on the armor tab, not the social one. I'm hoping they add a crafting capability for social outfits, or some basic outfits at a vendor instead of the cash shop.

Of course, as a rogue/pickpocket/assassin stalking my targets (roleplayed of course), my best camoflage is not to look like a rogue at all...

Here's the 'courtesan' outfit (not dyed yet)

elawynnwnc.jpg
    edited May 2013
    anashim wrote: »
    Elwyn, in this case, part of the solution to look “scruffy”, would be to switch to the “fashion” avatar on the character sheet. Then appear in the peasant garb that the hero originally starts with. Probably, you can dye it, and mix-and-match it with the aristocrat fashion items. It seems you can use the equipment slots in battle, even when it is the fashion slots that appear. Effectively the fashion avatar is the location to artistically enhance the hero.

yes, the fashion items can be dyed. There's another thread with some great examples.
  • jacktantojacktanto Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    one thing to add is that when you do change appearance the dye will follow ^^
    edited May 2013
    jacktanto wrote: »
    one thing to add is that when you do change appearance the dye will follow ^^

I didn't know this until yesterday, which was a nice thing to discover, since it makes it great if you like your color scheme, you don't have to keep getting dyes. :)
    edited May 2013
    not to mention the gaping cleavage window directly over the HEART.

I'm wearing robes, so it's not like if it had cloth there it would help much anyways. ;)

It's also not visible from the back, which is what i spend most of the time seeing, so it didn't stand out to me like the bare midriff does even from behind. While DDO armor isn't perfect, i do hope we get some like some of the robes there that looked like layered fabric. Even though it didn't have the fabric dynamics like here, i liked how some looked like draped fabric.

I can only hope i can get something like this someday, and can imagine how much better a newer game like this should look. I have just not thought "Those are wizard robes." here yet, and that makes me kind of sad. This is my Wizard in DDO, and i love those robes.

8718764018_1039eac200_b.jpg
  • kharniskharnis Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Right. Rather than start a new thread about this, I'll just bring this one back from its five-day exile.

Is there a way to mix and match the appearance of the regular gear with that of the fashion gear? I want my rogue to show the normal armour gear for the chest, but the peasant's trousers for the legs. I've tried experimenting, but it seems to be either one or the other, not both. Am I missing a method to doing this, or is it strictly "show normal gear, or fashion gear; choose one?"