test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Blood and sand: Unchained - banned from foundry

2»

Comments

• skruffsskruffs Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh no, I love that mission! hope your able to get it back up :)
  • njgreen123456njgreen123456 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 97
    edited May 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Wow. Another massive over-reaction by Cryptic - are they actually trying to get as much bad publicity as possible?

This was a very fun quest, and the arena section was a fairly small but integral part of the quest story.

Finally whats the odds that I this thread is going to get locked (as a similar one was) for discussing a foundry mission that was unfairly banned.....

50/50 I'd guess...
  • elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Weird, I played it this morning on my GWF and it gave me a little under half a level in 20-30 minutes, so I don't think it'd really count as one of the powerlevelling things (I only did it once and once previously on my CW ages ago because I like the mission).

Wonder if it was a copyright thing or if even that is just too much xp.
  • kiry3kiry3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
    edited May 2013
    That's sad, this is a good one. I hope you can get this one back. Great story, great action, well laid out. BF prefered it that is for sure, it was the right length to do the foundry dailies. Not too long, not too short and with stuff to do.

Good luck!!! We're rooting for you!
  • gadzewksgadzewks Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    2 problems here

1. Probably copyright issues with the spartacus show
    2. The author had originally created a smaller map, that was JUST the arena fight, nothing else. Its possible that some people may not have seen the updated/newer versions of this map, and reported it as they remembered the older one being a bit of a quick xp farm.

The new version, with a LOT of additional content, outside of the arena, was great. Only legit reason I can see for the ban would be #1.
  • pzzdachupzzdachu Member Posts: 398 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    volcxxx wrote: »
    My quest was banned from foundry.
    Got mail in-game.
    No reason why, just

BANNED

Making this quest took 3 weeks of my life, over 60 000 played it and was in top 5 the best UGC quests.

Maybe someone just give me some reason WHY?
    So i will fix things.

But if you (devs) dont care to give reason, why should i care?

/rage
    Possibly the reason is in your sig... Your copyright infringing sig?
    Allow me to introduce myself, I am P'zzd Achu.
  • kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    One amusing thing is this quest was getting a lot of publicity in reviews for NWO. http://blog.games.com/2013/05/02/neverwinter-might-be-the-best-free-to-play-mmorpg-yet/
  • webwalker01webwalker01 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Man I played this one and loved it. I have been on the fence about this game but this is one of the reasons I am still playing...also one of the cool things I can tell my friends about this game.
  • njgreen123456njgreen123456 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 97
    edited May 2013
    Man I played this one and loved it. I have been on the fence about this game but this is one of the reasons I am still playing...also one of the cool things I can tell my friends about this game.

>Could< tell your friends about it. They banned this awesome quest.
    edited May 2013
    >Could< tell your friends about it. They banned this awesome quest.
    This copy right infringing quest!
    edited May 2013
    pzzdachu wrote: »
    This copy right infringing quest!

Still was really fun and awesome.
  • kaskiankaskian Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Possibly the reason is in your sig... Your copyright infringing sig?

How has that got ANYTHING to do with the Foundry Quest in game?

By the way, I can vouch and say this was a mistaken ban guys, the mission is great.

Hope you get it sorted.
    Kie - Renegade Drow - Wizard | Orion - Half Elf - Cleric | Kia - Tiefling - Rogue
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    He is using the title of a TV series as the title of his quest! That is a killer copyright issue. The image in his sig may also be copywrote. It is just a bad idea to steal someone else's property even if it is a title.
    edited May 2013
    Still was really fun and awesome.
    Rename it with a new title see what happens.
    edited May 2013
    Rename it with a new title see what happens.

If you read this thread, you'll know that the OP tried to do that and he's unable to. They banned it from being able to be re-published.
  • rifiellrifiell Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Even if the name is copyrighted, you would think that Cryptic would just make him change the name??? Right? Banning is overreacting and makes Cryptic seem a bit childish.
  • kaledarkshinekaledarkshine Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    He is using the title of a TV series as the title of his quest! That is a killer copyright issue. The image in his sig may also be copywrote. It is just a bad idea to steal someone else's property even if it is a title.

You can't copyright a title. The only things that have been able to do that are Star Trek and Star Wars.
  • v1ctor2kv1ctor2k Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Blood and Sand was one of my favorite foundry missions. Sad to see it go.
  • ezbeeezbee Member Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    wow, why was this banned? the only thing that it couldve been for was the blood and sand title, i dont see how hard it couldve been to change the name if necessary.
  • nornsavantnornsavant Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Of some interest: One cannot copywrite a title or a name unless it is a registered trademark. One CAN copywrite an image or logo which may include a name or title.

So the OP’s signature image, THAT’S a copywrite infringement. The name Blood and Sand: Unchained, not an infringement.

But don’t take my word for it. Ask the Pros

Of course all this is academic next to the salivary fear reaction at the thought that a major media outlet might have a problem with it. Being perfectly legal will not stop a determined legal crew from tearing the place up. So out it goes. Sorry fella.

Remember boys and girls listen to your fear, it always knows.
    edited May 2013
    You can't copyright a title. The only things that have been able to do that are Star Trek and Star Wars.
    Thank You.
  • scruffycavetrollscruffycavetroll Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited May 2013
    volcxxx wrote: »
    My quest was banned from foundry.
    Got mail in-game.
    No reason why, just

BANNED

Making this quest took 3 weeks of my life, over 60 000 played it and was in top 5 the best UGC quests.

Maybe someone just give me some reason WHY?
    So i will fix things.

But if you (devs) dont care to give reason, why should i care?

/rage

I've seen the quest but never played it, sorry.

My only guess as to why it was removed could probably be due to copyright stuff....I was considering making a quest too revolving around Game of Thrones, maybe a little dust up at one of littlefingers brothels, but if they're busting anything that could pose them legal issues, I'll have to modify things slightly.

maybe, if it's not too much trouble, try remaking the quest and renaming it & the characters in it? i know it's not the same, but if it allows you to bring it back, if people liked it, why not?

I know it took you time to make, but assume the content of your quest could've brought legal issues to the game.
  • lovingcuddleslovingcuddles Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ^ this.

The tv show Spartacus doesn't own the words blood and sand.
  • mcjigglesmcjiggles Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hell, the title wasnt even the name of the show in full. It was just Blood and Sand. Yes there were many characters named similarly to the show but how is that copyright infringement, many of them were common greek names (How could sparticus be copyrighted)?

I know nothing of copyright laws so yes feel free to explain why these are problems. I am actually curious.
  • luvok612luvok612 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Such a shame. Was a fun quest! They should have at least given you a reason as to why it was banned.
  • elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Until/Unless we hear something official, all one can do is guess as to why it was taken down. Given the timing, I'm thinking it had more to do with the powerlevelling exploit fix - for some reason they thought the monsters in this were too much. If it were a copyright/trademark issue it would have been gone long before now, as this thing has been in here since the game launched (and has been mentioned in a couple game reviews in fact).
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited May 2013
    I have played the mission and it's fun. I didn't see any "exploitable" part of the dungeon. I think they might have banned it by mistake. Possibly they are banning all dungeons with certain types or uses certain command triggers.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    I have delayed responding and locking this thread as long as possible.

Discussing disciplinary actions is indeed against the Rules of Conduct on the forums but I had hoped the CM's could shed some light on the issue.
    My guess is that due to the hack and slash nature of the quest it was lumped together with the exploiters. In fact I saw several posts yesterday mention how they enjoyed steamrolling through this quest by gathering mobs into one huge pile and AoE zerging them all.

For now all I can say is that I have passed this issue up through the Community Managers, file a support ticket and sorry for the inconveniences.

Thread closed. :(
    No public discussion about disciplinary action administered to members.
    If you have any questions regarding rules, disciplinary actions, user bans, or even a thread move, please use the Customer Support Ticketing System or PM function of the board to contact us.
This discussion has been closed.