test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Professions guide? And resources

daradaldaradal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
Is there a professions guide somewhere? Something that kind of explains it, but even more importantly, where to get and/or how to find what? I'm trying but the resources seem to be hard to come by. Take charcoal for example. I had one, don't know where I got it, a chest probably. I can figured out where to find it. The tooltips says skill checks, drops and the store. Well I can't figure out what a skill check is. Im level 20 and I had one so we can see how often it drops. and I went to the store and on is 30 copper each.....at 20 I had 69 copper. Granted I'd spent a little money recently , but not all that much.

So there is got to be a better way to find this stuff right??? Or am I just never going to make anything.
Post edited by daradal on

Comments

• fierceasianfierceasian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As far as I know, you get crafting resources and materials from those things in instances and dungeons, you know those things that require the thievery, nature, religion, and etc skills that each class has. Also each profession has a task that allows you to gather done resource. For example, mailsmith has a task that gathers iron ore.
  • daradaldaradal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Right I do the dungeoneering ones, but I cant say IVe never gotten charcoal. I can make all the iron ore I can handle, charcoal on the other hand I can't find a reasonable way to get it and thats just the resource fo the first thing I can make.
  • fierceasianfierceasian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah... Charcoal I had to buy. I don't think there is another way of obtaining it, sadly. Try your best to save up. I sell all my junk and avoid buying potions.
  • elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There's a number of green and white materials (along with white assets) you can buy from the vendor in town where you first learned your profession (the one Knox sent you to initially). They're required to refine the raw materials you get from the various kits in the world (skill checks).

Then there's the green residium (or whatever it's spelled) drop that you use to make better stuff (like a +2 robe from a +1 robe). Beyond that there's blue crystals used in the even better stuff, and then the dragon's egg for the purple 60 stuff.
    edited May 2013
    Ok so the skill checks are the boxes you open on quests got it.

Still then thats pretty dumb, a basic resource to craft, the lowest one aside from iron ore is hard to find and expensive. Sounds like this could be a losing proposition to me.
  • morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can also pick up leadership where the tasks for the chests can hold crafting resources as well.
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    daradal wrote: »
    at 20 I had 69 copper.
    Wat.

I hope you realize that no matter how much you spend on the girls at Moonstone Mask, they're not going to become your girlfriend.
    edited May 2013
    darkjeff wrote: »
    Wat.

I hope you realize that no matter how much you spend on the girls at Moonstone Mask, they're not going to become your girlfriend.

I think I had just bought some better armor and rings and stuff
  • unrelated1unrelated1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Other than Leadership, all other professions are useless.

Lets say it takes you 7 days to get to level 20. It will take you 7 days to make level 16 gear. (less if you don't have a job, or pay zen)

Basically you will outlevel any gear you can make and by end-game, at this point, you can make nothing beneficial you can't find on trash mobs.

Wait for professions to serve a useful purpose and you will begin seeing base guides. At present, level up at leisure but professions aren't a focal point like they are in most all other MMORPG's. Give it time, though.
  • tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    daradal wrote: »
    I think I had just bought some better armor and rings and stuff

No need to do that, save your money. Decent drops while leveling are common enough, and will all be replaced too fast anyway. One thing to spend gold on is potions and kits.
    There's a number of green and white materials (along with white assets) you can buy from the vendor in town where you first learned your profession (the one Knox sent you to initially). They're required to refine the raw materials you get from the various kits in the world (skill checks).

This is something that people either miss or don't notice, that person has a lot of different items you need. I don't know about the other professions, but you can get from 0 to 18 (where i am now, but i'm guessing to 20 you can too) just from the gather and mass whatever (weaving for tailor) skills in the professions tab. For tailor it's the thread, both white and green quality is sold by her.

I'd also advise against making too much stuff, unless you can make a better shirt or pants as you go, just gather a bunch, then mass produce. costs very little, and moves you up in skill at a decent speed. Though once you hit 17 you need a pretty good chunk of xp to move to the next level. Just grab the nodes while playing, save them up, and just work on it getting to 20 as you surpass the gear you can make.
    Other than Leadership, all other professions are useless.

I wouldn't say useless, but during leveling, yeah, it's more a little side thing to do between quests. There are rares at 20 that pop up that are T2 level gear or higher. Just don't expect to be able to make them right out of the gate.