test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

D&D Neverwinter Online, Petition to Remove the $6 respec fee!

pandergospandergos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
People of Neverwinter. We all know by now and it's been discussed many times on the forums here without any word from Perfect World Entertainment or Cryptic Studios in regards to how absurd their Cash Shops and Nickel and Diming in this game really is.

Though, that's not really what I'm here about today. I'm here to fight to make the $6 respecialization (Respec) REMOVED from the game. Charge us gold, not AD that's bought directly with your Zen. But gold, hard earned and farmed in-game gold. Perfect Worlds Entertainment has taken their cash shop to a whole new level of greed and if we don't stand up for it it's only going to get worse. Below, you will find a link to an online petition, please. Sing this petition and lets try and make some change.

Thanks for your time.
eXidus/Pandergos

Let your voices be heard! Sign the petition below.

<link removed per RoC>
Post edited by pandergos on

Comments

• terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not going to happen. Every single other cryptic game charges for respec's why should this one be different.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • steampunkysteampunky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I almost never use respecs. In any game.

I'm against petitions on forums, as well.

So... No.

-Rachel-
    Great Weapon Fighter tanks? Who are you kidding? Cleric tanks. They draw -all- the aggro.
  • dominemesisdominemesis Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    or keep it, albeit at about half the price, but also offer ways of earning a respec in game. I liked their COH model pretty well, everyone got 1 free respec at max level, but could undertake respec trials to earn more if they wanted them. Why not offer these alternatives as well, then at least you can earn through gameplay or buy it from the shop, and not just through the extreme grind of converting AD to Zen (at present conversion of 400 to 1 AD to Zen, that will take 240,000 ad to get the 600 zen needed for a respec).
  • lemongrenadeslemongrenades Member Posts: 43
    edited May 2013
    if I sign, do I get a complimentary pitchfork?
  • dominemesisdominemesis Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not going to happen. Every single other cryptic game charges for respec's why should this one be different.

From Champions Online Wiki:
    Full Retcons

A full retcon will completely remove all powers, advantages, and talents from a character. This includes Innate Characteristics and energy builders, allowing a player to completely remake their character. There are three types of full retcons. When choosing to use a full retcon in the Remove Powers dialogue at the Powerhouse Trainer, you are given the choice as to which type to use.

Free Retcon
    These are given out occasionally when major changes are made to powers, and are announced in the patch notes. You may only have 1 free retcon per character at a time, if another is given out and the character still has one, they are not given another. These retcons are character-specific, using it for one character does not affect the free retcons on other characters.

Earned Retcon
    Earned retcons are earned by playing in-game. As of yet, there are two earned retcons in-game, one for getting to level 40 and receiving the Icon perk, and five through Veteran Rewards. Theoretically however, you can have as many of these per character as you like. These retcons are character-specific, using it on one character does not affect the retcons on other characters. With the Vet Reward Retcons, each new character will start off with 5 Retcons.

Purchased Retcon
    Full retcons can also be purchased through the Z-Store currently for 1,250 . You can have as many of these retcons as you like. However, these retcons are account-specific, purchasing a retcon token allows you to retcon only one character on your account, it does not give a retcon to all characters.

So in champions you could earn them or get free ones when powers changed.

from STO Gamepedia:
    A Respec, also known as retraining is a common term in MMORPGs indicating the partial or complete alteration of a player's skill tree. In Star Trek Online, with the release of Season One: Common Ground, this is possible using retraining tokens, which are available for purchase in-game, in the C-Store, or received with each new rank achieved for paid subscription players (Gold). Additionally, each player had been granted one free retraining token when Season One was first released.

Also in CoH/CoV you could earn them with respec trials and get a free one on any character when they hit max, also would occasionally get one if powers or mechanics were changed.

Every other one of Cryptic's games invalidate your argument except Neverwinter. Way to pull some <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out of your *** and try to pass it off as fact terradraconis.
  • knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah Champions Online did it right, just follow your own example Cryptic lol.
  • pandergospandergos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited May 2013
    Even if they have it on their other games, the people of those games should have stood up and fought for it to be removed. It's completely absurd to think they can change for this basic fundamental action in every single MMORPG out there.

Next thing we know they're going to be charging us to redo dungeons more then once a day.
  • cigarancigaran Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If Perfect World considers this game to still be in a beta state, they shouldn't be selling anything for real world funds let alone the option to fix a character that may be unplayable due to bugs. Of course that opens the debate over this not having been a "beta" for a while now.
    4th edition is to D&D as The Spirits Within is to Final Fantasy.

Account retired August 22, 2013. May Perfect World choke on the exploited Nightmare mounts.
  • ceonnynceonnyn Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I made a post about this yesterday that got ignored by Cryptic.
  • pandergospandergos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited May 2013
    Lets make some more noise then.
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pandergos wrote: »
    Lets make some more noise then.

::rolls eyes:: Yeah that will do good.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    ::rolls eyes:: Yeah that will do good.

It's been done before it other MMO's where a petition was made and change came due to it. Why not here? Does Perfect Worlds Entertainment think they're above it all? Doubtful, if enough people speak up I can guarantee change will be made, and if it's not then they obviously don't care about their player base/fan base.
  • stonedbillstonedbill Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's been done before it other MMO's where a petition was made and change came due to it. Why not here? Does Perfect Worlds Entertainment think they're above it all? Doubtful, if enough people speak up I can guarantee change will be made, and if it's not then they obviously don't care about their player base/fan base.

There have been an enormous amount of topics just like this, with some going over 50 pages. PWE or Cryptic hasn't said anything about it. So they obviously don't care.
    1ovlbg9.png

Smoke@stonedbill - Mindflayer - 60 Rogue
    edited May 2013
    stonedbill wrote: »
    There have been an enormous amount of topics just like this, with some going over 50 pages. PWE or Cryptic hasn't said anything about it. So they obviously don't care.

Sadly, that seems to be the norm around here. And the fact that some of the members of the game agree with the respec fee is outside insane.
  • stratxzzstratxzz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
    edited May 2013
    I will add to this,

I would be OK with a free respec, maybe a limit of 2 per character.
    I would be OK with respec costing gold.
    I would be OK with respec costing Astral Diamonds ( they need to make more ways to obtain them aside from the AH though )

If this game gets more classes, more paragon powers, more content a better way to respec would be required.

IMO.
    Strat@stratxzz on the Dragon Shard

Strat - Great Weapon Fighter - Level 60 ( Retired for now )
    Strattwo - Control Wizard - Level 60
    Stratx - Devoted Cleric - Level 60
    Stratt - Trickster Rogue - Level 18

http://theeoi.com - Visit for more information on our gaming community.
  • pinchyskriipinchyskrii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

And so the same amount of players will leave.
    edited May 2013
    And so the same amount of players will leave.

The cash shop in itself is insanely overpriced for things. $30 for a pet? $40 for amount? That's almost the full price of the game right there. Fine, I'm "Almost okay" with that because I just won't buy them. Simple as that, but with the AD Auction house, AD Enchant removal fee, Ad this AD that all obtained from what? Zen, or you could always run an insane amount of dailies to buy the 500k+ Auction House item.

In the end, this game was a huge cash grab. They offered 600k Zen for the $59.99 pack and 2m Zen for the $199.99 pack. Causing the Astral Diamond Auction House to inflate in prices because everyone knows there is a lot of AD floating around right now. But what happens when we run out of AD? We buy more zen to transfer into Astral Diamonds because doing it any other way would take a huge amount of time, and when I say huge.. it would take at average 15+ days at all your dailies per day to obtain a single item valued at 300k AD on the AH.

This stuff in itself is a painful thought, but to also charge for a respec? That's just going above and beyond greedy.
  • b0r7b0r7 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lol is all I can say

The sky is falling! The sky is falling! I demand free respec!

Yet, forgetting its a free to play game. They have to make money somehow, CoH/V as somone mentioned was free to change powers by earning it...but it was a subscription cost the last time I played and that would cover the cost of operating the game. There is always a cost. Problem is humans are too cheap, they will throw out cash for <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> products that break easily and just replace it (real world, go work retail if you know what I mean).

Charging for a respec doesn't bother me, but $6 is a bit much. Only thing I get from that price, its a convience fee to change your powers. They don't want you to change powers on a whim for the FoTM of the month like Fire/Kin controllers or a fire/fire tank pre-I4 (raise your hands if you remember what those are!). Its basicly "well, if you want to change your powers its ok but there is a cost, but if you don't want to change often...there is always the standard character!"
  • aftershafteraftershafter Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I admit I would like to see a very limited number given to players for free (one per month or something), but simply put, this is how the company makes these games profitable and gets more money for continued development. Seeing as there is an easy alternative in rerolling - and don't pretend like it's some MASSIVE imposition, seeing as people hit 60 on day one - this just isn't half as big a deal as people are making it out to be.

I support paying for respecs. I watched people in Uncharted Online dump thousands into getting the best ships possible with no-one holding a gun to your head - making this big a stink out of something you A) don't need B) already has viable alternatives is just entitlement at work.
    edited May 2013
    b0r7 wrote: »
    lol is all I can say

The sky is falling! The sky is falling! I demand free respec!

Yet, forgetting its a free to play game. They have to make money somehow, CoH/V as somone mentioned was free to change powers by earning it...but it was a subscription cost the last time I played and that would cover the cost of operating the game. There is always a cost. Problem is humans are too cheap, they will throw out cash for <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> products that break easily and just replace it (real world, go work retail if you know what I mean).

Charging for a respec doesn't bother me, but $6 is a bit much. Only thing I get from that price, its a convience fee to change your powers. They don't want you to change powers on a whim for the FoTM of the month like Fire/Kin controllers or a fire/fire tank pre-I4 (raise your hands if you remember what those are!). Its basicly "well, if you want to change your powers its ok but there is a cost, but if you don't want to change often...there is always the standard character!"

See, everyone keeps saying that. It's a free to play game. Yes, I understand it's a free to play game. But, they've already got a cash shop making them money. Why charge for the respec as well? That's going rather far wouldn't you say?

Hey, I'm not one to ***** about cash shops either. I've already spent $80 on it without even thinking twice.
    edited May 2013
    I admit I would like to see a very limited number given to players for free (one per month or something), but simply put, this is how the company makes these games profitable and gets more money for continued development. Seeing as there is an easy alternative in rerolling - and don't pretend like it's some MASSIVE imposition, seeing as people hit 60 on day one - this just isn't half as big a deal as people are making it out to be.

I support paying for respecs. I watched people in Uncharted Online dump thousands into getting the best ships possible with no-one holding a gun to your head - making this big a stink out of something you A) don't need B) already has viable alternatives is just entitlement at work.

Though, your referring to two different things here. People in Uncharted Online paid to have better ships. We're talking about respecs, not items.. not gear or pots or repair kits. We're talking about Respecs, very basic MMORPG mechanics. Min/Maxing to it's best.

Think of it this way, you respec for the first time free. And you take some skills only to find out those skills you speced into are not going to cut it in Tier 2 dungeons or maybe later content raids if they're added. So, you then have to spend $6 just to obtain the skills required to do the content they added.

Example, cleirc doesn't spec into Astral Shield because they assume it wouldn't be a very good pick for their choice of build. In the end, they find out... Well, Astral Shield is in face a great skill but I now have to pay $6 just to obtain a skill that comes with my class? Seems a tad bit out there.
  • labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When did changing your character every day become a ' mandatory feature ' in games ?
  • l7arkspiritl7arkspirit Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    I would sign this, just because I hate the idea of having to pay cash to respec.
    But that won't do any good, cryptic/perfect world will not change it even if 80% of the playerbase does not like it and signs this.

Edit: If you really want them to change, then just group up and not play the game for a week. Maybe maaaaybbe then they will listen. But since everyone is going to play regardless, cryptic won't change anything about respec.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aftershafteraftershafter Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Though, your referring to two different things here. People in Uncharted Online paid to have better ships. We're talking about respecs, not items.. not gear or pots or repair kits. We're talking about Respecs, very basic MMORPG mechanics. Min/Maxing to it's best.
    Think of it this way, you respec for the first time free. And you take some skills only to find out those skills you speced into are not going to cut it in Tier 2 dungeons or maybe later content raids if they're added. So, you then have to spend $6 just to obtain the skills required to do the content they added.

Example, cleirc doesn't spec into Astral Shield because they assume it wouldn't be a very good pick for their choice of build. In the end, they find out... Well, Astral Shield is in face a great skill but I now have to pay $6 just to obtain a skill that comes with my class? Seems a tad bit out there.

Actually, plenty of MMO's haven't offered respecs. What's more, this game does offer them, lets you level at a breakneck pace (see: max level people within one day) if you don't want t pay for them, and again, this is not an MMO gimme since many games have not offered them.

On top of that, people played for plenty of "basic things" in Uncharted from the equivalent of potions to weapons to ways to transport to a dungeon.

You make "not being able to cut it" in a tier 2 dungeon sound like it's some sort of Greek tragedy. In reality, it's a couple of days play to restart your character from scratch and get them to 60 IF you don't feel like paying the $6 and getting it instantly. Seriously, that is not nearly the end of the world scenario so many of you are making it out to be. Not only do many of you seem to have issues with anything but instant gratification, but you act like it's your god given right just because some modern MMO's started doing it.
  • zagith312zagith312 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013

That sounds more like an issue with the way the power system is structured (The fact you have to spend power points to initially unlock a skill) and less of an issue inherent in the way respecing works. To remedy that specific situation I would suggest Cryptic looks at how many powers at level 3/2 they want us to have, make it so we have that many points at level 60, and then give us access to every power at level 1)

As far as reducing the cost of respecs? I kind of like the current price. Not because I'm made out of money, or because I'm madly infatuated with Cryptic or PWE as I'm sure someone would be more than happy to mention, but because it means respecs your character is a big deal. Sure, you can spend $6 on getting a respec for your character by purchasing ZEN. Alternatively you could work to gather some astral diamonds. The respec cost would be ~240,000, assuming a 400ad/zen ratio (Which appears to be the way the market is going as all of the 'surplus' diamonds from founder packs are removed). If we assume the only way you can get new diamonds is in rough form, it would take you ten days to get enough diamonds to respec (And that time will only go lower I presume, as diamonds become more scarce).

I like this, it makes your choices have a bit of a weight to them while not permanently locking you into a decision. Could the price be reduced and still fulfill a similar role? Sure. I'd even be all for that. But asking for the price of the respec to be reduced to any trivial amount of time investment would undermine the whole point of having 'power points' in the first place. After all if we are going to have the ability to respec for free, why not just give us all the powers at max? It'd be the same thing as free respecs since all of our equipped powers are going to be maxed anyway, and when we change powers we'll just respec.

Edit: And as aftershafter said, making a character from scratch is 'always' an option. Especially in a game that levels you up quickly.
    edited May 2013
    Well, I think I may have not made this clear. I don't want it to be free by any means, it should cost something but real life cash is crazy. Gold? Maybe? Not much to ask considering how many other ways they have to make money with this game.
  • suspectdwesuspectdwe Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just hope we get free respecs once there are more classes.
  • zagith312zagith312 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, I think I may have not made this clear. I don't want it to be free by any means, it should cost something but real life cash is crazy. Gold? Maybe? Not much to ask considering how many other ways they have to make money with this game.

I am sure you are aware, but it doesn't cost you real money to respec, just someone else. If you do not want to spend money you just go for ADs like I mentioned, or make a new character like aftershafter mentioned.

Making it cost Gold will make it either insanely easy to pay for, or the only thing you want to spend money on ever due to how expensive it is in game. Though to be fair gold could use a reason to exist besides buying potions from what I've seen.

Edit: It's not really relevant but just a point, I do really hope they provide a free respec to characters who undergo a huge change of some kind (Complete rework, new paragon path, etc)
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Respecs aren't a required part of gameplay, so having a cost associated with them is fine.

BTW, I see you have 14 signatures. Only 315 to go and you'll have as many as those folks who wanted President Obama to make the Jaguars sign Tim Tebow.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • joukuoj32joukuoj32 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The cash shop in itself is insanely overpriced for things. $30 for a pet? $40 for amount? That's almost the full price of the game right there. Fine, I'm "Almost okay" with that because I just won't buy them. Simple as that, but with the AD Auction house, AD Enchant removal fee, Ad this AD that all obtained from what? Zen, or you could always run an insane amount of dailies to buy the 500k+ Auction House item.

In the end, this game was a huge cash grab. They offered 600k Zen for the $59.99 pack and 2m Zen for the $199.99 pack. Causing the Astral Diamond Auction House to inflate in prices because everyone knows there is a lot of AD floating around right now. But what happens when we run out of AD? We buy more zen to transfer into Astral Diamonds because doing it any other way would take a huge amount of time, and when I say huge.. it would take at average 15+ days at all your dailies per day to obtain a single item valued at 300k AD on the AH.

This stuff in itself is a painful thought, but to also charge for a respec? That's just going above and beyond greedy.

why you want pet and mount from cash shop, i bought them for in game gold(ofc from cash shop they will be better, because you know game develop. cost money and they want get them back)

you can respec Powers-need cash shop item or Feats-dont need cash shop item(its above 100k AD lvl60 so +-10days daily quests for AD)

about Powers try read them it help
This discussion has been closed.