test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Professions: Some Thoughts.

thedrakkosthedrakkos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 228 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hiyas.

I'd post in the Crafting forums...

Moving right along.

No queue. I'm playing Galactic Civilizations I. Its an older game, at least 6-7 years, but done very well.

While I'm playing Gal Civ, I'm alt-tabbing to the gateway, and working on my professions.

The current profession interface is worse than most facebook games, and strikes me as an attempt to drive players to buy packs in the cash shop out of frustration or desperation.

Apparently you guys think the cash shop is supposed to be where the fun is at.

I won't be spending money in your cash shop, you have my $60, which I don't really feel I've gotten value on. Forcing me to use an unfriendly, irritating crafting system won't provide incentive, so sorry.

I haven't hit max level, or max professions yet, however, leadership feels very unbalanced with the rest of the professions. I like the fact leadership can be set for multi-hour long tasks, and dislike that the other professions that I've tried thus far all require a much greater time investment, and constant babysitting.

Perhaps add options to allow the extension of the time frames of other profession tasks, so instead of running one 10 minute trip to get 2 iron ore, i run 1 60 minute trip to get 12 iron ore.

Lastly, why are my mercenaries killed when trying out for the guard position? Why are my employees fighting to the death? Am I firing the other three for some reason? Do they up and leave?

Upgrading one Mercenary to Guard shouldn't kill/consume/destroy the other three employees. This is neither reasonable, nor logical, and were this the case, we would rapidly be completely unable to hire mercenaries, because they'd all be dead, if for some strange reason word didn't get out that we were killing off 75% of our employees every so often.

Regards.
Looking for a mature guild to play with?

www.guildmedieval.com

Courtesy, Integrity, Fair Play.
Post edited by thedrakkos on

Comments

• misterjunmisterjun Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was thinking the exact same thing. It's like they've taken FARMVILLE and put it into Professions. >.> I like your idea of extending though. Having to babysit 10mins craft timers it's madness.
  • kimmurieloblodrakimmurieloblodra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    misterjun wrote: »
    I was thinking the exact same thing. It's like they've taken FARMVILLE and put it into Professions. >.> I like your idea of extending though. Having to babysit 10mins craft timers it's madness.

Wow try crafting in the FFXI-FFXIV series. You have to actively do stuff during that ten-minutes, no 'set it and forget it'.
  • thedrakkosthedrakkos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 228 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Being actively engaged while crafting would be better than an annoying, repetitive task they don't even have the decency to include a queue for, something WoW has had for years.

Hence the whole "reference a fairly old game" thing.

I did try to do it without going to WoW. I did. You all saw me.

www.guildmedieval.com

• tooonetwotooonetwo Member Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    Wow try crafting in the FFXI-FFXIV series. You have to actively do stuff during that ten-minutes, no 'set it and forget it'.

Lol I played 14 and all anybody ever did was run mouse click scripts to craft for them. The only thing you had to do was get with your guild and farm mats for an hour. That would leave you with enough mats for the entire night if not a good 14 hours. It took about 3 weeks to get max level leatherworker. For somebody solo and doing it manually it would take them a good 6 months unless they played 14 hours a day. Don't even get me started on fishing... you could macro every aspect of that game.

The crafting here is horrible because your XP gains are horrible considering the amount of time it would take to farm mats. If you focused on crafting you wouldn't get very far any time soon. If you want the luxury of crafting once a day then you're going to pay mega bucs for it and even then it will take ages.
  • beamanbrbeamanbr Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think I'd be pissed if I was a founder; You get about 25% of what you paid in actual useful resources (diamonds) and the rest is frilly <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Some people like frilly <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, but I could care less.

After playing for a few days, its obvious that the most bang for your buck is to buy zen and get booster packs for crafting. The system is designed to subtlety lure you into buying zen, and its very tempting.

Honestly I think this game is a perfect example of the free-to-play/micro transaction model pushed to its breaking point. I haven't spent any money yet, and could easily afford 40 bucks to powerlevel my crafting, but I resist because it has such a shady feel about it. It feels like I'm paying for something I saw advertised in a spam email I got.
  • thedrakkosthedrakkos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 228 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Absolutely.

I'm not really happy about the $60 I've shelled out thus far, and I can't be bothered to give them another dime, particularly when I can just create a chain of free accounts and provide myself with a huge influx of capital.

This essentially assumes I continue to care sufficiently, of course, but so far this game is helping my guild's recruitment quota, as long as that continues, I'll persist.

www.guildmedieval.com