test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

First Impressions

tfeakkane0tfeakkane0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hello everyone, hope you're all well.

To open: I like the game so far, it is fun and engaging but does not (at least where I am now) pressure me into playing or doing things a certain way. I like the feel of the setting and pace of gameplay, as well as how its great to have a group but

A couple things that I have picked up almost immediately:
- There are a lot of currencies. GP/SP/CP is the normal in game currency, which is great. You also have Astral Diamonds/Zen which are the meta-currency and is also great, especially since you can turn one into the other.
Then you have Rough Astral Diamonds, Glory, Ardent Coins and Celestial Coins, all of which have a much more limited use and cannot be interchanged. Really, it seems like too many different currencies flying around and it looks like it would be much more simple and streamlined to change all them into one extra currency or make them astral diamonds. I don't really see the need for so many currencies myself.

- The Hud is... crowded? Overfilled? I can't put my finger on the word, but the HUD and accompanying windows that you can open could definitely use some cleaning up. There are three or four windows for Astral Diamonds / Zen alone, and I could see the Guild section being moved into social in some way. The character sheet is fine, but I'd rather see companions and professions be merged into a secondary character window / button next to the actual character one. I don't see the need for the invocation button to be opn the HUD, just make it a button on the Astral Diamond Page or next to your Astral Diamond count in your inventory. Having the running events is another thing that could be moved to say the home page instead of leaving it next to my minimap.

- As an extension of these two things, a lot of things feel tacked on or hastily done. I can see that this is beta, and most of the ideas that are in there are great, but they could use a little work so they don't feel like a last minute addition to the game. I like simplicity with depth, and i'm sure i'm not alone there.

So yeah, just little things really. The gameplay itself has me coming back and I enjoy soloing as well as grouping, running through foundry stuff, etc. I enjoy trying out abilities without feeling like i'm losing significant amounts of power, and love the fact that equipment is so far simple and there is little rocket tag and/or number bloat compared to say *redacted*. Crafting seems alright, though a little short on the returns when it comes to the investment, and the feel of the setting is very D&D. I'm looking forward to the blasting mages.
Good job, and I hope this game goes far!