test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Crafting and Astral Diamonds

kaoru55kaoru55 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 33
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
This is the one big thing that bothers me in this game, as a big crafter. Can we start a nice discussion on this topic :)

Now Astral Diamonds, the currency of most importance (it seems) it is used for everything, Respecting, Converting AD to ZEN, Converting ZEN to AD, Socketing, Companion Training, Buying specific items, Auction house, etc.... But most importantly it's used to speed up crafting times!

This is a massive issue for me, the game has created a crafting system that is based around Time which is a really great idea as it gives everyone an equal playing field with 24Hrs. The problem with this crafting system is how important Time is and how AD can be used to speed level or super craft everything. If someone wanted to pump their money into ZEN then convert it into AD and level leadership and their character they easiely could.

While i'm here waiting 18 hours for my Mercenary, the guy next to me has waited a total of 10 seconds. How does that make people who don't want to pump Zen crafting want to craft. Having to spend 2 weeks getting from level 4 to 5 while the guy next to me reaches 1 to 10 in an hour?

It just kills all my incentive to craft. I'm guessing im the only one who feels this way.
Post edited by kaoru55 on

Comments

• syrumsyrum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 168 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I refuse to spend AD to rush my crafting. However, why does it really matter if others do? Does it also upset you that people can level their companions without waiting by spending AD? What is the real issue that you have with this, I honestly can't see why this upsets you, it's crafting...
  • labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its OK . I refuse to pump AD in crafting , just because once I level up , what will I do ? The low level stuff sells just fine . Most people that are that impatient wont be ' serious ' crafters anyways . Crafting takes dedication . The kind of crafting that makes stuff and keeps the auction house stocked . Most the speed levelers will only craft for themselves or guildies .
    I still have my 2 mil AD unclaimed . I keep thinking its to get a purple crafter once they go under 1 mil , but I don't know . I have two blues now that I bought for 100k each and I think that's probably enough for awhile .
    I did make an alt and leveled to 11 , and then crafter 3 so he can generate 2 miners every 18 hours and my main can just craft and turn out 1 level 2 crafter every 36 hours .
  • kimmurieloblodrakimmurieloblodra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    syrum wrote: »
    I refuse to spend AD to rush my crafting. However, why does it really matter if others do? Does it also upset you that people can level their companions without waiting by spending AD? What is the real issue that you have with this, I honestly can't see why this upsets you, it's crafting...

In 90% of situations where people use this argument, I agree.

-The companion fastrack. Who cares? Doesn't affect me.
    -People leveling to 60 in a few hours using foundry quests. Who cares, doesn't affect me!
    -People who spend zen/AD for gear. Doesn't really affect me either.

In crafting, however, it does affect me. Like the OP, I love crafting. And also like the OP, I don't want to pour AD into this system. I am therefore immediately hamstringed, economically, by the people that do. By the time I hit 20 with a profession, and try to sell some of the gear that I crafted for a profit, there will already be 1000s of copies of that same piece, because people will have been crafting that item for weeks.

In crafting, the only way to really make money is to have a monopoly or make an item no one else can make yet. The only way to do that at the moment, is to pump crazy amounts of AD into crafting to speed it up and outlevel the masses. And since I don't want to pump the AD in, I will never be ahead as a crafter, and therefore, never make money off of it.

Kinda sucks, imo.
  • holt3holt3 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kaoru55 wrote: »
    This is the one big thing that bothers me in this game, as a big crafter. Can we start a nice discussion on this topic :)

Now Astral Diamonds, the currency of most importance (it seems) it is used for everything, Respecting, Converting AD to ZEN, Converting ZEN to AD, Socketing, Companion Training, Buying specific items, Auction house, etc.... But most importantly it's used to speed up crafting times!

This is a massive issue for me, the game has created a crafting system that is based around Time which is a really great idea as it gives everyone an equal playing field with 24Hrs. The problem with this crafting system is how important Time is and how AD can be used to speed level or super craft everything. If someone wanted to pump their money into ZEN then convert it into AD and level leadership and their character they easiely could.

While i'm here waiting 18 hours for my Mercenary, the guy next to me has waited a total of 10 seconds. How does that make people who don't want to pump Zen crafting want to craft. Having to spend 2 weeks getting from level 4 to 5 while the guy next to me reaches 1 to 10 in an hour?

It just kills all my incentive to craft. I'm guessing im the only one who feels this way.

Another thread about caring what other people do with their money... Am I the only one that doesn't care?
  • jaddaljaddal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OP I would go one step back and ask, Where is the crafting in this game?

NW has something they call crafting, but it isn't crafting as we have come to know it. What they do have doesn't even work properly. Some "missions" can't be done even when it is a lower level. Example:

I'm running 3 mercenaries for Leadership; currently at L7. A L4 mission will be red and then not red. Alternatively, a mission will be available for two of the mercenaries and not for the third. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to what missions are available and which are not. I never know what missions will pop up. In other words, as a crafter I have very little control over what I craft.

As to your initial point, yes, crafting takes a ridiculous amount of time. You have absolutely no hope of crafting gear for your character as it levels. I haven't tried to craft for an alt yet but my guess would be that, given the time it takes, crafting for an alt, as the alt is lvling, wouldn't work either.

On paper it probably seemed like a good idea, but how it got through beta is beyond me.
  • kimmurieloblodrakimmurieloblodra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    holt3 wrote: »
    Another thread about caring what other people do with their money... Am I the only one that doesn't care?

Dude read the post I just made and re-think that attitude, but only when it comes to crafting.
  • syrumsyrum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 168 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    In crafting, the only way to really make money is to have a monopoly or make an item no one else can make yet. The only way to do that at the moment, is to pump crazy amounts of AD into crafting to speed it up and outlevel the masses. And since I don't want to pump the AD in, I will never be ahead as a crafter, and therefore, never make money off of it.

Kinda sucks, imo.

Well, you have a couple of options:

Dump AD into leveling crafting quickly and hope to make your money back via the AH.
    -or-
    Craft because you enjoy it, don't waste any AD on it and when you do cap out, anything you sell on the AH is profit.

And I have to add, seeing that you only want to craft to attempt a monopoly on the AH, I really have no sympathy for you. Sorry.
    edited May 2013
    Dump AD into leveling crafting quickly and hope to make your money back via the AH.
    -or-
    Craft because you enjoy it, don't waste any AD on it and when you do cap out, anything you sell on the AH is profit.

And I have to add, seeing that you only want to craft to attempt a monopoly on the AH, I really have no sympathy for you. Sorry.

- I don't have the start-up AD to do so, nor do I intend to actually buy some for this purpose

- Oh yes, watching a timer go down is oh so enjoyable.

- If you aren't trying to monopolize a market and you are a crafter, you are either A. <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> or B. doing it wrong
  • kaoru55kaoru55 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    holt3 wrote: »

Thank you for your helpful and insight post in my topic, it adds so much to the discussion! As you can see this is about how the fundamentals of crafting are forgotten with this system.

Crafting is supposed to be for everyone, someone anyone can do and benefit from with equal effort or time applied. But this isn't the case in this game, crafting is for those with the AD.
    edited May 2013

Kinda sucks, imo.

Nope this is not true . Players leveling need gear too , and they are a much better source of steady revenue. Shure end game gear sells for more per item and less time on your part , but since ANYONE can make the same item most people will have guildies or friends make . leveling gear is where the real AD is . Shure its way more effort on your part , but that is what crafting is about . Many gear pieces don't drop or rarely drop , people need them . There is a market ,
    This isn't original SWG where you can craft different stuff then others . Same stuff crafting has boring high end crafting dynamics. The true fun is the grinding gear market , jump in and see the water is not that cold :P
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Dude have you checked out how many Astral Diamonds you would waste speed finishing an 18 hour task?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xxxretsopmixxxretsopmi Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Dude read the post I just made and re-think that attitude, but only when it comes to crafting.

Your post if flawed to high hell. If your logic was accurate, then no one in the world would be able to start a new company.

It doesn't matter how long someone else has been selling the items. If you are willing to sell them for a little cheaper, people will buy your items. Yes those who start first can make more money up front due to less supply and more demand, but that doesn't mean everyone else can't come into the market.
    edited May 2013
    -

- If you aren't trying to monopolize a market and you are a crafter, you are either A. <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> or B. doing it wrong

ROFL
    I got the crafting bug late in SWG , about a year after launch . Just tired of the inflated prices by the few weaponsmiths we had. Much different game there where you couldn't max everything when crafting , thus leaving room for each crafter to make different gear . If no one could monopolize a market there , how the heck can they in a game where anyone can make the EXACT same gear ?
    Some time during the NGE , me and Haydn was walking around tat just checking out guild halls . I was noticing that everyone had an [ImpCo] weapon or piece of furniture in it . They we switch to trying to find a decorated building without one , mainly because he was a crafter too and I was busting his ballz . The best part ? Finding and old almost worn out weapon from pre-CU hanging in a place of honor in someones house . I could tell the old ones because they had the " by lab " tag from before I started using [ImpCo].
    That my friend is truly what crafting is about , providing gear to help other players enjoy the game.
  • kaoru55kaoru55 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    Your post if flawed to high hell. If your logic was accurate, then no one in the world would be able to start a new company.

It doesn't matter how long someone else has been selling the items. If you are willing to sell them for a little cheaper, people will buy your items. Yes those who start first can make more money up front due to less supply and more demand, but that doesn't mean everyone else can't come into the market.

You obviously don't understand the simple rule of Supply and Demand. Well i guess a non crafter wouldn't but i'll make it easy for you.

Lets say this one player can make a level 50 +1 Epic every 10 minutes due to pumping money into AD to speed craft. But I try to do the same but can only make the same item every 8 hrs. Suddenly the demand of that item goes up for what ever reason and so does the supply which is due to the us both crafting the same item.

Now which one of us is going to benefit most from this?
    edited May 2013
    ITT: People who have never crafted in a competitive crafting environment, obviously.

The money is in the epics, and people are already crafting epics. If you don't pump AD into crafting, by the time you are able to craft epics, there will already be thousands of epics already on the market, thus making them worth next to nothing.

I don't know why I assumed you guys would understand something so simple, but I won't assume that on these forums again.
    edited May 2013
    - I don't have the start-up AD to do so, nor do I intend to actually buy some for this purpose

- Oh yes, watching a timer go down is oh so enjoyable.

I don't have to monopolize the market, I craft to make things I need/want or to make things my friends might need/want. If I have extra items, I'll probably sell them on the AH. This does not make me <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> or mean that I'm doing it wrong. I'm doing it differently from you.

BTW, if you're sitting there staring at the timer tick away for your crafting, perhaps you're going it wrong? You know, you can be out doing quests, Foundry instances or dungeons while things craft in the background... just pointing out, I may not be the dumb one here. *grin* Don't whine because you chose not to do other things in the game while also crafting.
    edited May 2013
    BTW, if you're sitting there staring at the timer tick away for your crafting, perhaps you're going it wrong? You know, you can be out doing quests, Foundry instances or dungeons while things craft in the background... just pointing out, I may not be the dumb one here. *grin* Don't whine because you chose not to do other things in the game while also crafting.

If you think contradicting yourself makes you smart, sure.

You said crafting was "fun". I was simply pointing out that watching a timer countdown from 2 hours is not "fun".

But like I just said in my last post, I shouldn't assume you guys are even remotely intelligent, or can remember what you posted ~5 minutes ago.
  • juzzzzzzjuzzzzzz Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    labbb wrote: »
    Nope this is not true . Players leveling need gear too , and they are a much better source of steady revenue. Shure end game gear sells for more per item and less time on your part , but since ANYONE can make the same item most people will have guildies or friends make . leveling gear is where the real AD is.
    I don't really see why anyone would waste AD for leveling gear that they outlevel in matter of minutes.

You can buy decent enough gear with silver if you desperate but mostly gear drop more than enough while leveling to really bother buying anything.
    edited May 2013
    If you think contradicting yourself makes you smart, sure.

You said crafting was "fun". I was simply pointing out that watching a timer countdown from 2 hours is not "fun".

But like I just said in my last post, I shouldn't assume you guys are even remotely intelligent, or can remember what you posted ~5 minutes ago.

The end result, the item I finally get from crafting is what I enjoy about crafting, meaning, that's what is fun about it to me.

Sorry, we aren't all about monopolies on the AH like you. Some of us enjoy making things, regardless of how long it takes. But that's ok, keep telling us we're wrong, stupid or contradicting ourselves... because who are we to know what we think is fun for us.
  • muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have no problem with it since we can craft off line, plus, this is a game that doesn't rely on a player based economy where every item has to be made, and a guy who can do it in less time can flood the market. BTW have you looked at the costs in AD to speed something up? This is not cheap; to me the people burning AD for crafting are doing it for items they are making for themselves, or items that others are giving them AD to make quickly for them, like guildies. We're talking High tier items, not some green stuff.
    edited May 2013
    muzrub333 wrote: »
    I have no problem with it since we can craft off line, plus, this is a game that doesn't rely on a player based economy where every item has to be made, and a guy who can do it in less time can flood the market. BTW have you looked at the costs in AD to speed something up? This is not cheap; to me the people burning AD for crafting are doing it for items they are making for themselves, or items that others are giving them AD to make quickly for them, like guildies. We're talking High tier items, not some green stuff.

Think of it as an investment. If he is the only one making the epics, the 2-3 Mil AD he poured into it is suddenly peanuts.
  • toyeverdaletoyeverdale Member Posts: 91
    edited May 2013
    If something craft wise is slow, I start it, do a quest or two, go to bed, whatever. It counts down in real time. I play some other game if there is nothing to do.