test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Current State of Dungeon Gameplay

airlianairlian Member Posts: 27 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
Hi all,

I am playing a cleric as a main and I am a little curious about dungeons because I have been in two so far and my impressions were not good. So I wonder if someone who has gone all the way to the higher levels can tell me if the problems I have seen still exist as obviously early level dungeons might not be very indicative of what's going on.

Level 16 dungeon: did it a few times, once I did it with 4 clerics and 1 rogue where I wound up sharing the tanking role with the tanking companions. Never had a problem.

Level 24(?) dungeon: the last boss especially was a pain.

1.The GF doesn't seem to have any AOE capabilities.

2. The GWF cannot take any aggro off the adds it seems (even when I tried it I couldn't but it was only up to level 15). So tank only tanks the boss more or less, I get to tank all the adds, which makes it really hard to keep anyone alive. However I wouldn't mind so much if...

3. The targeting system wasn't so <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. It's not because you aim, it's because your aim gets an assist which inevitably picks the wrong target if they are in close proximity; so I couldn't heal the tank properly and prayed that my AOE heals could do it.

For the record, in any skirmish or instance I have been in there hasn't been one time where I have not had aggro, I don't think every single tank in this game sucks, I just think (and read) that the GF doesn't seem to have much AOE at all.

So you have broken tanking, a difficult healing system which could be easily rectified by allowing people to switch off the targeting assist (and another suggestion I made here) and an AOE DPS who can't deal much damage without being hit, and if he gets hit he can die easily and put extra pressure on a cleric who is battling with the broken aim system to try and keep people alive.

Does this get any better later on? It seems to get worse as I go through the higher level dungeons.
Post edited by airlian on

Comments

• Options
    blackmethosblackmethos Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I feel the same about tank and healer. I have a GF at 25 and a TR at 20 and i have to say the best thing you can do as a GF is just to make dmg and ignore your Tank role. Seems for me much better then try to tank you cannot hold all the aggro and at least in low lvl it is not really neccessary.
    Additional i want to ask the Player wich have reached max lvl is really every Boss the same when i look at all Quest Bosses Ini Bosses or any Bosses i have seen on Video of high lvl players absolute every boss is the same he spawns mass adds and has some voidzones you should walk out and a few cone abilitys each and every boss seems to be exactly the same.
    Is this the hole game?
    i want some interesting bossfights but this seems to be really boring.
  • Options
    mewbreymewbrey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 517 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqR1GhgQp-E&t=28m0s

Level 60 tier 2 dungeon end boss fight, you can see how many adds clerics have to tank... and that's with a CW and GWF on adds 100% of the time using Come and get it, and black hole to pull them off the cleric. Clerics are the add tanks of this game right now... It is still doable but I wish they had mentioned it at the start that we would be off-tanks.

I've even switched out Sooth now as it makes no difference to my threat, I always have all the adds with or without sooth I am not sure it is even working right now.
    ~*~ Foundry missions: Stronghold Branax : Goblin menace : Forwyn crypts ~*~
  • Options
    airlianairlian Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Right.

Well that tells me all I need to know. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    when you as cleric are tanking all adds no matter what is there even a sence of taking a GF in the group?
    Or is it so important to tank the boss becouse for me it seems most dangerous things at bosses are there cone or void abilitys and this abilitys are easy to dodge.
    And it looks like in the endgame the most important thing is to have a good cleric in your group.
    Plzz say it if i am wrong i want to now if it is worth of spending my time to lvl a char to max in this game.
    Lvling is really funny i love this kind of action play but group play is till lvl 27 really bull**** just run in and hit it like stupid no tactics nothing exept a good cleric is needed.
  • Options
    mewbreymewbrey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 517 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    when you as cleric are tanking all adds no matter what is there even a sence of taking a GF in the group?
    Or is it so important to tank the boss becouse for me it seems most dangerous things at bosses are there cone or void abilitys and this abilitys are easy to dodge.
    And it looks like in the endgame the most important thing is to have a good cleric in your group.
    Plzz say it if i am wrong i want to now if it is worth of spending my time to lvl a char to max in this game.
    Lvling is really funny i love this kind of action play but group play is till lvl 27 really bull**** just run in and hit it like stupid no tactics nothing exept a good cleric is needed.

Makes my life a lot easier in Tier 2 with a GF tanking the boss, the main issue is they have to be good enough to self sustain because I am constantly battling to keep myself up with the 40% reduction that I have very little time to look after the guardian too I can throw the odd heal at them or on a few bosses you can all pile up and share but when there is separation its a difficult situation because you have to heal your self more than anyone else, because your tanking the vast majority of the encounter.

While its easy to dodge boss attacks as a cleric, in tier 2 you do not want to leave your astral shield as much as possible so removing the bosses cone attacks from your small area it allows you the room to tank/kite the 10-30 mobs you'll be tanking at any one time in your astral shield.

Later on the difference between a good group and a bad one is fairly clear, you need people willing to do their roles, you cannot have GWF sitting on the boss in many of the encounters until you vastly out gear score the dungeon. Having a control wizard able to actually control the adds is very noticeable.

My only issue with cleric right now is that our threat is clearly broken, I do not think Sooth is even working as I always end up with every single add on me with or without it.
    ~*~ Foundry missions: Stronghold Branax : Goblin menace : Forwyn crypts ~*~
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I have to ask again is every Boss only a Boss and a lot of adds or are there also some other bossmechaniks like in other MMO