test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Neverwinter's Lockboxes (No Choice, You Have To Gamble)

hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,550 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
No this isn't a rant about how we shouldn't have lockboxes at all.
They are a proven way for F2P games to make money.

My complaint with Neverwinter is how they are implemented.

In other Cryptic Studios games (Champions, STO), lockboxes drop and you are able to decide whether to pick them up or not. Also, once in your inventory, they are able to be discarded.

Now, in NW that has all changed.

Lockboxes are automatically picked up like coins if you wander too close, AND they CANNOT be discarded from your inventory.

Here's the deal.
I probably would have spent money in the store, buying keys and opening boxes, but with this system there is no way I will ever give the game a single dollar.

By making the boxes automatically pick up, and nondiscardable, you are essentially threatening to slowly fill my inventory and bank with stacks of lockboxes that I can ONLY get rid of if I buy a key.

You have taken away any choice of whether I want to participate by holding Inventory and/or Bank slots hostage, if I have picked up a lockbox. AND you are giving me no choice, in normal gameplay, you will pick up a few.

Please rethink your lockbox model to a point where you are actually giving players a choice whether to participate without taking away their inventory and/or bank space.

Fare Thee Well
- John
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    stonedbillstonedbill Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think they only stack into one stack though... I know what you're saying. Everyone is annoyed by this, but it really isn't as bad as people make it seem. Lets talk about the bag prices for reasons not to spend money.
    1ovlbg9.png

Smoke@stonedbill - Mindflayer - 60 Rogue
  • Options
    lillinalillina Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    it might just be a bug that you can't discard them
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    stonedbill wrote: »
    I think they only stack into one stack though... I know what you're saying. Everyone is annoyed by this, but it really isn't as bad as people make it seem. Lets talk about the bag prices for reasons not to spend money.

No way the stack is infinite. I suspect after 20 boxes, it starts a new stack, taking a 2nd slot. It's slow, but it will eventually eat my inventory. To me, that's bad.

And, I decided to stick to one topic for this thread, just the lockbox mechanics.

While I am starting to like the game, especially the Foundry, the Zen Store prices for this game are just ridiculous.

How much just to change the color of my toon's armor a few times ? When in many other games (including cryptic's other games), changing the color of your costume is as easy as visiting a tailor. Why? because people want to try out different looks, and not be carbon copies of each other. In this game, being unique is gonna cost you. And be ready to pay more if one of the shades you want to use is black.

Basically, their zen store needs a lot of rethinking.
    A lot.

Peace
    - John
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lillina wrote: »
    it might just be a bug that you can't discard them

This. You can discard them in STO, I'm assuming that it's just a bug here.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    stonedbillstonedbill Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hippiejon wrote: »
    No way the stack is infinite. I suspect after 20 boxes, it starts a new stack, taking a 2nd slot. It's slow, but it will eventually eat my inventory. To me, that's bad.

And, I decided to stick to one topic for this thread. The Zen Store prices for this game are ridiculous. How much just to change the color of my toon's armor a few times ? When in many other games (including cryptic's other games), changing the color of your costume is as easy as visiting a tailor. Why? because people want to try out different looks, and not be carbon copies of each other. In this game, being unique is gonna cost you. And be ready to pay more if one of the shades you want to use is black.

Basically, their zen store needs a lot of rethinking.
    A lot.

Peace
    - John

I agree with you, on both points. The option should be there and I'm hoping cryptic can talk PWE into changing that for us.
    1ovlbg9.png

Smoke@stonedbill - Mindflayer - 60 Rogue
  • Options
    ktm1ktm1 Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    not sure how many they stack to as i only have one, but i agree they should be DROP-ABLE. my one annoys the f*** outta me. if it is a bug (and yes it seems that way to me since you go through the whole 'do you wish to destroy bla bla' thing) then they should jump on this
    space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence
  • Options
    ravenrabbitravenrabbit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You can sell them and trade them, btw... Put them in the AH if you don't want them.
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I believe it's 99 like with portable altars and other stuff that stacks. I think I'm up to 54 lockboxes or something in one stack.

Having said that you should be able to discard them if one chooses to.
  • Options
    lottiemclottiemc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Someone (it may have been Direcrow) suggested, in another thread, that you mail the lock boxes to yourself and just let them sit at the mailbox / with the postal courier. That way, at least it would get them out of your bags. And they can be mailed ... my husband just confirmed it.

Lottie
  • Options
    mrlee9569mrlee9569 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 78
    edited May 2013
    You know you can drag them out of your bags onto the screen and it delete's them right?

Unless you have some weird bug or something, but that's how I get rid of mine.

** EDIT
    A few days ago I did and I could have sworn it works. Now it does not. Sorry!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    You can sell them and trade them, btw... Put them in the AH if you don't want them.

Cannot be sold or discarded.
    And things only stay in AH for limited time.
    Being forced to get rid of lockboxes by leaving them sit in the AH (who would buy them?) means that i am being forced to use one of my auction slots or more for lockboxes.

however you look at it, making them undiscardable means they will always take some slot of mine somewhere.
    making them auto pick up like coins ... that's just underhanded and (honest opinion) the biggest jerk move I have ever seen from Cryptic. Non discardable means that IF I dont buy keys and open them, slowly, over time, lockboxes will fill all available slots in my INv/Bank/Auction House/Overflow bag/etc. Even if that time is months away, that means that in order to play the game, I will either need to buy (1) keys to open boxes or (2) More Inventory and bank to get slowly filled.

Either way, that's not Free to Play.

Just my Opinion.
    - John

EDIT : Item is marked with a trait (all the lockboxes I find are) "this item cannot be discarded". this includes dragging onto the screen out of my bag.

This is also true over multiple characters on multiple servers. So, while I believe all of you that you are apparently able to discard them, it hasn't been true on my end since I was forced to pick up the first one.

EDIT : thanks for the Mail idea. Maybe I should mail them to the Devs with a 'Return to Sender" Topic Line :D
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mrlee9569 wrote: »
    You know you can drag them out of your bags onto the screen and it delete's them right?

Unless you have some weird bug or something, but that's how I get rid of mine.

Have you tried this? Your post seems to say you have but when I tried it (a few days ago) it didn't work. It asks you if you want to permanently discard them and if you choose yes it says "Too bad". Not an exact quote but I'm not in the game to try it out.
  • Options
    awdeohawdeoh Member Posts: 53
    edited May 2013
    Fare Thee Well
    - John

Can I have your gear? :D
  • Options
    lottiemclottiemc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    @hippiejon: You're quite welcome. And, as to your edit ... LOL! LOVE it! Although I wonder if the actual return address shouldn't be to PWE.

Lottie
  • Options
    ceniebabyceniebaby Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 43
    edited May 2013

Wrong, I've had over 30 stacked in one slot.
    Cenie@ceniebaby - Dragon - Cleric - Member of Siren
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    awdeoh wrote: »
    Can I have your gear? :D

Did I say I was leaving ?
    Fare Thee Well is just something people say to each other.
    It's not some final goodbye.
  • Options
    jazzneojazzneo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    report the bug they fix the problem later
  • Options
    morbidthought666morbidthought666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    I just auction them, get rid of useless box and get AD's. Simple.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ceniebaby wrote: »
    Wrong, I've had over 30 stacked in one slot.

So, I am wrong that the # is 20.
    Maybe they stack to 99, or 250.
    Doesn't make a difference, that stack is finite, it will eventually reach its max count and begin a new stack.
    My original assertation that this implementation of lockboxes takes away Inventory (of some kind) from people who don't buy keys is still correct. It doesn't matter how big the stacks can get. The lockboxes slowly, over time take away your inventory, and you are not allowed to discard them.

It forces players to buy lockbox keys and/or inventory space.
    And this is obviously the model they are aiming for.
    And (In my Opinion) it's about the most awful , jerk like thing I have seen this company do.

I could sit and type and argue about this all night.
    Some of you may think this is a stupid thing to be put off by, but to me they have taken the choice out of whether someone wants to play their lockbox game away from the players.
    (1) No option whether to pick up the item.
    (2) Item cannot be sold or discarded.
    (3) Only way to remove item from Inventory is a cash shop sale.

"If you want your inventory space back, buy something."
    That's what this lockbox model says to you the player.
    Support them in this if you want.
    This thread pretty plainly states my opinion on the matter.

It's a good game.
    Lots of fun.
    But this decision around lock boxes and how they are being implemented is a major stain on an otherwise good product.(IMO)

- Peace, Love and Moonberry Juice
    John
  • Options
    jazzneojazzneo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    Doesn't make a difference, that stack is finite, it will eventually reach its max count and begin a new stack.
    My original assertation that this implementation of lockboxes takes away Inventory (of some kind) from people who don't buy keys is still correct. It doesn't matter how big the stacks can get. The lockboxes slowly, over time take away your inventory, and you are not allowed to discard them.

And (In my Opinion) it's about the most awful , jerk like thing I have seen this company do.

Some of you may think this is a stupid thing to be put off by, but to me they have taken the choice out of whether someone wants to play their lockbox game away from the players.

It's a good game.
    Lots of fun.
    But this decision around lock boxes and how they are being implemented is a major stain on an otherwise good product.(IMO)

John

sale them for 1 diamond they be all gone
  • Options
    ceniebabyceniebaby Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 43
    edited May 2013

It's a good game.
    Lots of fun.

John

Here's a thought, avoid them when they drop on the ground. If there is a limit per stack, it is highly unlikely you will ever reach that point. One item, that you can avoid picking up, is a stain on the game? You have got to be joking.

It's amazing what people will find to moan and complain about.
    Cenie@ceniebaby - Dragon - Cleric - Member of Siren
  • Options
    papabashpapabash Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My oh my... then don't give them a dollar for those keys....

"I am forced... threat of inventory being filled yada yada"

You have been given workarounds for the time being so your points are moot and you can now purchase keys en masse & utilize the workarounds at the same time.
  • Options
    caleshhcaleshh Member Posts: 61
    edited May 2013
    AH them and make a little, I have not opened any. Sell them for cheap and they will sell. After all you got them for nothing. I sell them for 25 AD
  • Options
    kidvixen1kidvixen1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm sorry but 'cant open a lockbox with anything in game' is totaly bull****. I rather pay the trickster rogues in game for open a single box with skills. Zen market prices are ridiculous ! I agree with John and Lottie, its a F2P MMO if you wanna be an unique player you have to pay much !

put some chances to open lockboxes with keys which bought by astral diamons or something like that.. Give a chance to dungeon bosses to drop keys for theese lockboxes, etc.
  • Options
    eyepatchdudeeyepatchdude Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you're bothered my the boxes, mail them to yourself, and then delete the mail... poof..
  • Options
    mrlee9569mrlee9569 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 78
    edited May 2013
    rapticor wrote: »
    Have you tried this? Your post seems to say you have but when I tried it (a few days ago) it didn't work. It asks you if you want to permanently discard them and if you choose yes it says "Too bad". Not an exact quote but I'm not in the game to try it out.

A few days ago I did and I could have sworn it works. Now it does not. Sorry!
    And how stupid!!
  • Options
    futrixfutrix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OP didn't do his research, came to the forum to complain. Solutions were posted, he complains about solutions. You are going to visit the mailbox a lot anyway if you are playing this game. Loosing 1 inventory slot OCCASIONALLY is not a big thing to cry about. There are REAL issues with the game that the devs should put their attention to. Not something we already have many solutions to.
  • Options
    arazularazul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    throw them on the auction house very cheap someone will buy them.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My original thought was "Hey, you can put these in the mail. That's 6 slots of storage in each letter!"

But then, I realized..... mail them to yourself. And then delete the mail. :cool:
  • Options
    nwobrocknwobrock Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No this isn't a rant about how we shouldn't have lockboxes at all.
    They are a proven way for F2P games to make money.

My complaint with Neverwinter is how they are implemented.

In other Cryptic Studios games (Champions, STO), lockboxes drop and you are able to decide whether to pick them up or not. Also, once in your inventory, they are able to be discarded.

Now, in NW that has all changed.

Lockboxes are automatically picked up like coins if you wander too close, AND they CANNOT be discarded from your inventory.

Here's the deal.
    I probably would have spent money in the store, buying keys and opening boxes, but with this system there is no way I will ever give the game a single dollar.

By making the boxes automatically pick up, and nondiscardable, you are essentially threatening to slowly fill my inventory and bank with stacks of lockboxes that I can ONLY get rid of if I buy a key.

You have taken away any choice of whether I want to participate by holding Inventory and/or Bank slots hostage, if I have picked up a lockbox. AND you are giving me no choice, in normal gameplay, you will pick up a few.

Please rethink your lockbox model to a point where you are actually giving players a choice whether to participate without taking away their inventory and/or bank space.

Fare Thee Well
    - John

Give them away to someone who wants them.

/thread