test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GWF Tank Issues

teethxteethx Member Posts: 219 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
Has anyone tried to tank as a GWF? I tested the waters the last two days and found that they cant hold agro off a NPC to save their own life....

I can take hits just fine, but to keep them off anyone at all is like asking a pig to fly....

I tried ( also very expensive) 3 different sent builds that all have failed. I tried one with high resist and deflect, I tried one with high power and crit, and last i tried a combo of both. I tried several different combos of abilities NOTHING works, I took a look at my gear to see if maybe I am doing it wrong there but I really cant find anything that stands out.

Enough of my QQ, does anyone out their have a build and gear set up and ability set up that works. Good info would help, thanks.

Oh also I have I have over 3k power and %15 crit, not sure if that is relevant since i clearly have no clue how to do this.
Post edited by teethx on

Comments

• forsakenlich1forsakenlich1 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    your an off-tank not a tank. if that
  • lokaidraxmartislokaidraxmartis Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    teethx wrote: »
    Has anyone tried to tank as a GWF? I tested the waters the last two days and found that they cant hold agro off a NPC to save their own life....

I can take hits just fine, but to keep them off anyone at all is like asking a pig to fly....

I tried ( also very expensive) 3 different sent builds that all have failed. I tried one with high resist and deflect, I tried one with high power and crit, and last i tried a combo of both. I tried several different combos of abilities NOTHING works, I took a look at my gear to see if maybe I am doing it wrong there but I really cant find anything that stands out.

Enough of my QQ, does anyone out their have a build and gear set up and ability set up that works. Good info would help, thanks.

Oh also I have I have over 3k power and %15 crit, not sure if that is relevant since i clearly have no clue how to do this.
    \

The great weapon fighter is a striker not a tank, they are an aoe, dps class with medium armor, some defenses. They are not designed to tank...if you rolled a GWF to tank, then you better get ready to be disappointed. While i HAVE heard that they can tank in some cases, they dont have the defenses or abilities to prevent enough damage to stay up very long...at best gonna off tank some things but ideally you should be dropping the weak mobs with aoe which is what i find the GWF is great at.

Edit: GWF is second highest dps in game at 60 trailing behind the trickster rogue, they will USUALLY but not always beat out CW, but results may vary fight to fight.
  • elspethtirelnwelspethtirelnw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    GWFs can take hits incredibly well, although the Sentinel tree is basically broken in regards to threat generation at this time. If that does get fixed, we have the potential to be a proper off-tank. At this time, it's likely not working as intended.

Keep posting on this issue if you'd like something done about it, otherwise respec into a DPS and be just like everyone else... Most GWFs still plug their ears and cover their eyes when any conversation involves threat or tanking, even though we have an entire paragon feat path that is dedicated to just that.
    | Banners of the Light | Recruitment is open | End Game PvE and PvP |
    | Lust | Level 60 Guardian Fighter 15.8k GS|
  • teethxteethx Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    GWFs can take hits incredibly well, although the Sentinel tree is basically broken in regards to threat generation at this time. If that does get fixed, we have the potential to be a proper off-tank. At this time, it's likely not working as intended.

Keep posting on this issue if you'd like something done about it, otherwise respec into a DPS and be just like everyone else... Most GWFs still plug their ears and cover their eyes when any conversation involves threat or tanking, even though we have an entire paragon feat path that is dedicated to just that.

Thank you for posting something worth typing unlike the 1st 2 post. Yeah threat right now for us sucks so bad it really has to be a broken thing going on. I can when I do get agro it is like they do so little damage to me I can take all their big hits or just move out the way with easy.
  • nightsiren0410nightsiren0410 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    GWF sentinel's way,not have enough ability to make enough threat.When mob attack cleric,u can not let them attack you,instead of attack cleric.TR just 3 hits,and mobs turn to attack TR.

Even can not be a good offtank.
    edited May 2013
    I hope this fix will be in the next MAJOR patch
  • cydericcyderic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Do you guys have a link for me and other readers to a post which explains bugs in the sentinel tree? I dont know them, but i use some of the skills there.

Thanks!
  • zardoz007zardoz007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    First the GWF needs some serious buffs before they can accomplish anything other than being a 2nd rate damage dealer.

Second even GF's have issues with threat until level 30ish.

A Properly built GWF should be able to protect the other party members from adds, as they are described as a striker class that can be a tank in a pinch.

But as it stands that is impossible to do. The Wizard has a better chance to protect the cleric from adds with CC than than even the GF can with Threat.
    edited May 2013
    zardoz007 wrote: »
    First the GWF needs some serious buffs before they can accomplish anything other than being a 2nd rate damage dealer.

Second even GF's have issues with threat until level 30ish.

A Properly built GWF should be able to protect the other party members from adds, as they are described as a striker class that can be a tank in a pinch.

But as it stands that is impossible to do. The Wizard has a better chance to protect the cleric from adds with CC than than even the GF can with Threat.

level 60 fully t1 epics, I cant keep a mob off of a carebear ATM. like I said I have tried everything that you can think of so its not gear or spec or levels. Right now I think the only thing GWF is good at is providing a nice Power buff and help aoe mobs down. Maybe the next major patch will fix a lot of things. I am hoping new paragons and a new class tbh, I hope they keep in mind if they bring out another striker class every GWF will quit their class until they get a change.

Dont get me wrong I do great damage as a striker but still have not true role. wiz can control a million times better, a rogue have way higher single target dps, and the GF can at least hold agro if needed.

I hope the devs drop some more hints or just come out and tell use what it is we need to do in-order to understand what it is they wanted for us to be doing here as GWF's go.
  • alecstormalecstorm Member Posts: 142 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    1st and second post were the most accurate, btw. GWF is not a tank. Is an off tank. The real problem here is that the feats that shoul permit GWF to be a off tank are not working. But even when they will do don't expect to do the GF job.
  • csyrekcsyrek Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    GWF are intended to be a striker class that can offtank and AoE DPS.
    Except that they currently can't do either of these things.
    Wait for buffs and play a TR or GF like everyone else does.
  • elspethtirelnwelspethtirelnw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    GWF AOE DPS is fine, can you people that only care about your DPS GWFs just figure it out in one of the other threads or reroll so that real class issues can possibly be addressed some day? Building a DPS focused GWF is not complicated but simply takes time.

This topic concerns GWF threat generation in regard to how poorly tuned it is, primarily in the Sentinel tree. It's very clear that this was poorly tested, if at all during Alpha. I'm not even sure it was internally tested well at Cryptic, otherwise we wouldn't be having this near pointless debate.

I'm actually going to respec my GWF today, because while I can out-survive an entire party including a defensively specced GF in Tier 2 epics - I don't have the threat or DPS to warrant using the tree. I understand this is Open Beta, but not even a single comment on the issue since the class was introduced during BW3? I'd be happy with a dev just saying, "We are aware of the issue", but we can't even get that.
    edited May 2013
    GWF AOE DPS is fine, can you people that only care about your DPS GWFs just figure it out in one of the other threads or reroll so that real class issues can possibly be addressed some day? Building a DPS focused GWF is not complicated but simply takes time.

This topic concerns GWF threat generation in regard to how poorly tuned it is, primarily in the Sentinel tree. It's very clear that this was poorly tested, if at all during Alpha. I'm not even sure it was internally tested well at Cryptic, otherwise we wouldn't be having this near pointless debate.

I'm actually going to respec my GWF today, because while I can out-survive an entire party including a defensively specced GF in Tier 2 epics - I don't have the threat or DPS to warrant using the tree. I understand this is Open Beta, but not even a single comment on the issue since the class was introduced during BW3? I'd be happy with a dev just saying, "We are aware of the issue", but we can't even get that.

/agree

Most of the GWF in this game are hoping PW will change the class to a striker because they want it that way. Who knows money runs everything these days and they may get what they want.

Back to the Topic (or as long as i can keep the trolls away) I am with you elspeth, they are totally ignoring the issues with the GWF and in the end will cause me to lose interest in the game and quit.

The only things i cant really test out effctively are things like more Armor pen, and more crit.

I know the community monitors watch this, they have to it is their job. Can you please talk to the dev's and the other powers that be to allow you to comment on this subject matter of threat with GWFs. As elspethtirelnw said saying something at this point is less damaging then saying nothing.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    teethx wrote: »
    /agree

Most of the GWF in this game are hoping PW will change the class to a striker because they want it that way. Who knows money runs everything these days and they may get what they want.

Actually given that PW heavily promoted the GWF as THE AOE DPS class it is not surprising that players want it to be, well a good AOE DPS class. Doesn't sound unreasonable to me......
    edited May 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Actually given that PW heavily promoted the GWF as THE AOE DPS class it is not surprising that players want it to be, well a good AOE DPS class. Doesn't sound unreasonable to me......

wiki NWO says they are a striker, D&D wiki says defender. If PW is classifying them as strikers which they indicated then they need to remove the ability to tank all together.
    edited May 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »

It already is a sufficient AOE DPS class, some people just have no clue how to gear their characters. Whatever the current complaints about GWF DPS are from some players, they are nowhere near the reality of how bad the Sentinel threat issues are right now.

I'm honestly just about fed up with the current state of this class. I didn't sign up to play a half-*** AOE DPS class that can pad it's DPS on trash, or to simply kill off mass spawns of trash during T2 epic boss encounters (what a brilliant mechanic to make the DPS builds actually useful). I'd rather pick up the adds as the Sentinel tree would lead one to believe and have more control over a fight, not mindlessly swing my weapon around to kill large packs of mobs ASAP before the cleric goes down.

Does anyone not realize how poor this is by design? All we are asking for is for one of the 3 GWF paths to offer players an alternative, not to nerf or change the way a DPS GWF wants to play. I've been vocal about this since BW4 and have done my part to support this game and report issues, but this is just frustrating. I want nothing more than to see this game succeed and last for years, not be some bland DPS race that almost everyone seems to be so focused on.