test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Everyone knows Rogues are OP

izariel44izariel44 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
edited December 2014 in PvE Discussion
The fact that rogues are outrageously overpowered cannot be denied. The easy fact that more than half the player base and 80% of the pvp base are rogues is ample evidence that this fact is common knowledge. People will always flock to the most OP class to exploit the current FOTM.

There is no down side to rogues they have the best dps of any class, amazing control, and survivability. This is just from a pve standpoint. Lets talk about pvp...

In pvp rogues are gods. 80% of active pvpers are playing the rogue class. Rogues currently have better control than control wizards. This is indisputable.

Rogues have stealth, which they can use to get out of fire and easily maneuver behind you.
Rogues have a long stun, which consequently is longer than the stun CW can get through chill.
Rogues have a silence which completely locks down any casting class for 3+ seconds.
Rogues have a blink, which they can use to instantly be behind a target.
Rogues can dodge right out of any CC you use on them.
When CC is used on them the longest it lasts is 1 second, which is nearly useless.
Rogues can melt mace faster than any other class, which means they only need a few seconds to completely wreck you.
Rogues have a slow which prevents you from running away from them.
Rogues have as much survivability as any class except the guardian.

Please Cryptic, the rogues in this game are gamebreakinginly overpowered and it needs to be fixed. If they are to be a cannon then nerf their survivability and CC. If they are to have so much CC and survivability then nerf their damage. They cannnot and should not have it all.

I know all the hordes of rogues in this game are going to flock here and attack me for not knowing anything. They just want to enjoy their OPness a little longer. Ignore them.
Post edited by izariel44 on

Comments

• Options
    clannamuirclannamuir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 217 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    So you are saying that you have no idea how to play your class? That's what your post says to me.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    clannamuir wrote: »
    So you are saying that you have no idea how to play your class? That's what your post says to me.

Nice troll attempt.

Ironically enough, his argument is that that 80% of PvP players DO know their classes well enough to choose the one they feel is best at PvP :)
  • Options
    ufgtufgt Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    GF beats TR clean if both players are competent. Sooooo... yah. Cool. Nerf rogues!
  • Options
    elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If everyone knows it, there really isn't any reason to bring it up, is there?
  • Options
    uberguberuberguber Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    There are also several posts claiming Control Wizards are OP. So if 80% are rogues the rest must be CW. Do you have some official source for this 80% claim?
    Noli sinere te ab improbis opprimi
  • Options
    epixcomixepixcomix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I will agree that rogues do seem to be a little out of proportion to the other classes, especially in regards to pvp in the early game. I haven't taken part in any content with them in the 40+ range of the game so won't comment on that. I don't know that they need any nerfs so much as some of the other classes need to be raised up. Most of the rogue abilities in the under 30 game pretty much are ideal for pvp, where as say the gwf (another melee dps class) really translates terribly into pvp.

Anyhow, I imagine this thread will be aflame shortly in responses back and forth from TR vs non TR.
  • Options
    clurdgeclurdge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Personally as a DC rogues give much less trouble than CW. I use the dodge every time it is up I find rogues lose interest in me.
  • Options
    guenom21guenom21 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I play a rogue. Only lvl 13 at the moment. I noticed I can fight two people at once IF they have no idea what they are doing and how to actively dodge my most threatening attacks (daze).

However, I fought a good control wizard the other day and he made it REALLY hard for me to do my thing. I'd say control wizards are the bane of rogues. So I disagree with rogues being op. People just need to know how to fight against them. This isn't WoW. The combat is pretty active and you need to dodge out of the way when I use dazing strike. It has a long cast time.
  • Options
    proceduralprocedural Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    izariel44 wrote: »
    The fact... The easy fact... this fact...

You keep using that word... I don't think it means what you think it means...

Without proven sources, everything you've said is opinion and speculation. That is the opposite of fact.
  • Options
    tournamentchamptournamentchamp Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    New thread, same whining as the 1.5 million other threads created around this topic. Nothing to see here people move along.
  • Options
    wolfpaqdwolfpaqd Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My control wizard stomps on rogues. There's so much wrong with your post that i can't tell if you are trolling or stupid, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

2/10, good effort.
  • Options
    roguehwzroguehwz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
    edited May 2013
    Control wizard + cleric is OP ... just need 2 of them and you can hold a node forever. This is my experience playing PVP at level 60.
  • Options
    epixcomixepixcomix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    guenom21 wrote: »
    I play a rogue. Only lvl 13 at the moment. I noticed I can fight two people at once IF they have no idea what they are doing and how to actively dodge my most threatening attacks (daze).

However, I fought a good control wizard the other day and he made it REALLY hard for me to do my thing. I'd say control wizards are the bane of rogues. So I disagree with rogues being op. People just need to know how to fight against them. This isn't WoW. The combat is pretty active and you need to dodge out of the way when I use dazing strike. It has a long cast time.

Not to blow off your statements or anything, but saying that one class (which is arguably the other best pvp class) has a chance against you does not necessarily invalidate that the rogue class is overpowered. Unless you mean to say, there are two classes equally overpowered and the rest are not.

Knowledge of your opponents abilities and pvp skill are definitely factors, but there sometimes class mechanics just don't compare well in those settings. Look at GWF for instance, sprint is cool but its terrible for dodging something like the rogue daze.
  • Options
    ifeurifeur Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    guenom21 wrote: »

I agree.
    Played on my lvl12 CW yesterday against one veeery capable rogue, and 1 semi-capable rogue. I effectively was able to shut down the really good rogue from running rampant with stuns/slows/and making use of my dodges.

Rogues do seem to be trending atm. I don't think they're really OP, but maybe need to be looked at again. Or maybe things even out at later lvl's. did a pvp on my 28 cleric this morning. Wasn't nearly as successful as a CW vs. rogue._. it was a tough match. Q.Q
  • Options
    guenom21guenom21 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I haven't played GWF yet. If that is the case, sounds like a problem with that class and not the rogue being too powerful. It is a matter of making the GWF better in that sense then.

I am such a low level and don't have much experience in the game yet. I am a hardcore Guild Wars 2 player though and I had an easy time to adapt to this combat since it is very active. I still think a lot of it from my experience so far is a learn to play issue and not class balance. As a rogue I can evade other rogues fine. Though I guess I will have to see how I am when I play other classes.
  • Options
    xecutioner84xecutioner84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3
    edited May 2013
    ifeur wrote: »
    I agree.
    Played on my lvl12 CW yesterday against one veeery capable rogue, and 1 semi-capable rogue. I effectively was able to shut down the really good rogue from running rampant with stuns/slows/and making use of my dodges.

Rogues do seem to be trending atm. I don't think they're really OP, but maybe need to be looked at again. Or maybe things even out at later lvl's. did a pvp on my 28 cleric this morning. Wasn't nearly as successful as a CW vs. rogue._. it was a tough match. Q.Q

This game wasn't designed for PVP and rogues are the only true hard hitting dps for PVE. Also CW shut rogues down with no issue not hard CW have 3 stun abilities back to back. Darth choke, to freeze ray to stun bolt rinse and repeat. Also CW can blink like crazy rogue can only roll 2 times.
  • Options
    brianob8372brianob8372 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    procedural wrote: »
    You keep using that word... I don't think it means what you think it means...

Without proven sources, everything you've said is opinion and speculation. That is the opposite of fact.

That's inconceivable!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    This game wasn't designed for PVP and rogues are the only true hard hitting dps for PVE. Also CW shut rogues down with no issue not hard CW have 3 stun abilities back to back. Darth choke, to freeze ray to stun bolt rinse and repeat. Also CW can blink like crazy rogue can only roll 2 times.

If they are offering pvp as content, they can't use the excuse that the game wasn't designed for pvp. It may in fact be true, but it's not an excuse that can be used to ignore the imbalances in the content that they offer.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Thank you. Please don't start the nerf rogues <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. This happened in WoW when less skilled players were constantly getting stomped by Rogues in BGs, so Blizzard caved in to their whining and nerfed the class into oblivion, making them close to worthless in Raids. It took almost a year for them to rebalance to the point where Rogues were competitive again.
  • Options
    elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    epixcomix wrote: »
    If they are offering pvp as content, they can't use the excuse that the game wasn't designed for pvp. It may in fact be true, but it's not an excuse that can be used to ignore the imbalances in the content that they offer.

The problem comes when they try to balance it for PvP and totally screw up PvE :P
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    elyrielle wrote: »
    The problem comes when they try to balance it for PvP and totally screw up PvE :P

/thread winner!!!
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    izariel44 wrote: »
    The fact that rogues are outrageously overpowered cannot be denied. ... In pvp rogues are gods. 80% of active pvpers are playing the rogue class..

My main character is a level 60 CW. I have only seen an overly large amount of rogues in the first two brackets. At 60, I do not see more of them in matches than I see clerics. I would question your 80% estimate, but that is just based on observation.

As a CW, I did not find rogues overpowered before 60 in PvP, and I do not think they are OP in PvE at all. They are a striker class and do the damage of a striker class. (In pre-60 dungeons my CW was never beaten by a TR.) Now, PvP, at 60 it is much more about the gear than before, and I lack it. I do not stand a chance against a 60 rogue, but they may have gear and I do not (working on it). There is also the issue that I don't have experience with playing a rogue (from your comments I gather that the same is true for you), so I rolled one today and will level him to 60. Then I will be able to actually form a more informed opinion. I think anyone asking for nerfs for a class should do that. It will also help with countering them better.

In general, I feel it is too early to ask for nerfs or buffs for any class.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    stabagestabage Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    izariel44 is right, lets step away from the pvp discussion to mention dungeons and skirmishes.

Now, I'm a competent player, i know what to use when to maximize my damage and i feel like I do decent damage(I play a GWF). But whenever I play with my friend who plays as a TR and is the same skill level as me, he makes me feel like i do a third of his damage...

For people to say that rogue isn't op are either oblivious to this fact or simply play as rogues themselves and always want to be OP.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    elyrielle wrote: »

Yes, that is a factor to take into account, but when you offer content, you need to have taken all aspects of it into account. It would be one thing if they made it blatantly clear to everyone before they sampled the game that their content was only balanced for one or the other and had them acknowledge agreements to that effect, but there is nothing like that of course. They want to appeal to both the pve and pvp players naturally, so therefore they need to ensure that the experience is good for both sides.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    stabage wrote: »
    izariel44 is right, lets step away from the pvp discussion to mention dungeons and skirmishes.

Now, I'm a competent player, i know what to use when to maximize my damage and i feel like I do decent damage(I play a GWF). But whenever I play with my friend who plays as a TR and is the same skill level as me, he makes me feel like i do a third of his damage...

For people to say that rogue isn't op are either oblivious to this fact or simply play as rogues themselves and always want to be OP.

What levels are you talking about here. If you scan through the forums, you will find that GWF is really sub par pretty much all the classes until they hit about 30-40 and only really are supposed to get good at damage beyond that, where as TR are pretty much heavy hitters straight out the gate and all the way up.

Is that fair? Probably not, it's just the way things are at this time. Rogues have it good from the start, GWF has the worst start progression. How much of that is the rogue needing tweaking vs the GWF needing tweaking, well who knows.
  • Options
    stabagestabage Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well I'm in the 20s atm for level, but i haven't even started to notice a change in my damage compared to his. But I hope you're right about the damage change at 30-40. if that's the case then I'm in the wrong. I'm a big man to admit when i make a mistake.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    epixcomix wrote: »
    Yes, that is a factor to take into account, but when you offer content, you need to have taken all aspects of it into account. It would be one thing if they made it blatantly clear to everyone before they sampled the game that their content was only balanced for one or the other and had them acknowledge agreements to that effect, but there is nothing like that of course. They want to appeal to both the pve and pvp players naturally, so therefore they need to ensure that the experience is good for both sides.

This is why I am of the opinion that a game should specialize in one or the other, but not both. How many times, in how many games have we had this discussion now? Balancing for both PvE and PvP is difficult, and one side always seems to suffer. With Rogues, the issue always comes down to stealth/control. If you nerf their damage for PvP, then we become a CC class in PvE. Bosses are typically immune to CC, so now you have a class with poor DPS and very little to offer a raid group. You could nerf their CC, but then you have a leather clad fighter/warrior, not a Rogue. They are difficult to balance, have been in every game I have played. Just something to keep in mind before everyone starts screaming nerf.
  • Options
    vargyrkainevargyrkaine Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    My main character is a level 60 CW. I have only seen an overly large amount of rogues in the first two brackets. At 60, I do not see more of them in matches than I see clerics.

This is true, although I am just started leveling and am only in my early 20's my girlfriend is obsessed and has already hit mid 50's. She plays a rogue and when I asked her what class I should make she shouted CLERIC!!!! at me hehe, apparently around level 40ish the rogue pwnage drops off severely and clerics move to the top with absurd survivability, effective aoe, and single target damage. She screams about them allot when she pvp's, which is adorable.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    stabage wrote: »
    Well I'm in the 20s atm for level, but i haven't even started to notice a change in my damage compared to his. But I hope you're right about the damage change at 30-40. if that's the case then I'm in the wrong. I'm a big man to admit when i make a mistake.

You actually weren't wrong about how GWF plays at your level ;)

Also note that while GWFs are supposed to get relatively better later on this is compared to a pathetic starting relative power level.
  • Options
    lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was afraid of rogues.
    Then I hit level 30.
    Now its other side around.
    I'm DC.
This discussion has been closed.