test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I would probably spend a lot of money on this game if the prices were halved.

semunesemune Member Posts: 1 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I can't even spend one dollar on this game in its current state.

If I do, it'll say to PWE that it's okay to price things like this.

The way you make money in a F2P game is you get people excited about playing the game, LoL is a prime example. I can 100% guarantee you that you'll have about 10% of the possible playerbase that you could have, around 3 months from now, if not less, ONLY because of the payment model.

If you made the prices 10% of what they are now, and had 10 people buy the item, you'd make the same amount of money as one person buying it now, the difference is, you'd have 9 extra people excited to play the game, who will tell their friends about it and it will grow. PWE, you need to learn how business works, because you're going to pass up a huge cash cow here, which will eventually suffer the same fate as literally every single one of your other games, where it's nothing but people who have invested 5,000$+ left, and nobody else.
Post edited by semune on

Comments

• edge1986edge1986 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 647 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    $10 per bag still makes me lol.
  • elawynelawyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I wrote to the Lamborghini folks once, said they sell a lot more if they were much cheaper.
  • kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elawyn wrote: »
    I wrote to the Lamborghini folks once, said they sell a lot more if they were much cheaper.

Yeah, but Lamborghini isn't selling digital 12 slot bags at $6 each.
  • earthfellearthfell Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You heard it here first folks, Neverwinter Online is the luxury car of mmo's.
  • championchains03championchains03 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    EQII has a perfect F2P and cash shop model. Wish more games would model after theirs. I spent so much money on EQII, but I didn't feel scammed doing so. I guess because the prices didn't feel so outrageous.
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    semune wrote: »
    I can 100% guarantee you that you'll have about 10% of the possible playerbase that you could have, around 3 months from now, if not less, ONLY because of the payment model.

You really can't guarantee that.
    If you made the prices 10% of what they are now, and had 10 people buy the item, you'd make the same amount of money as one person buying it now, the difference is, you'd have 9 extra people excited to play the game, who will tell their friends about it and it will grow. PWE, you need to learn how business works, because you're going to pass up a huge cash cow here, which will eventually suffer the same fate as literally every single one of your other games, where it's nothing but people who have invested 5,000$+ left, and nobody else.

...and now you're just making stuff up. PWE knows a lot more about running F2P MMO's than you do. Or are you Arena.net's CEO in disguise?
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • sunyamsunyam Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    EQII has a perfect F2P and cash shop model. Wish more games would model after theirs. I spent so much money on EQII, but I didn't feel scammed doing so. I guess because the prices didn't feel so outrageous.

I'd have to 100% disagree. With EQ2 if you want everything you have to pay $14.99 a month PLUS if you want certain mounts, armor, etc you have to pay extra. How is that better than 100% F2P with the option of paying for mounts and other things?
  • steampunkysteampunky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "Stuff is too expensive for me!"

"Well it's probably in-line with the metrics and marketing data that PW and Cryptic have access to that we don't."

"But stuff is too expensive for me! Your game is gonna diiiiiiieeeeee!"

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

-Rachel-
    Great Weapon Fighter tanks? Who are you kidding? Cleric tanks. They draw -all- the aggro.
  • ordainedoneordainedone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Path of Exile is the best F2P game out there. GGG knows how to run a good company. PWE knows how to run a good game too, right into the ground. He is right, the OP. About the amount of players this game will have, just look at any of PWE's other games to see he is right. This game is no different.
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    edge1986 wrote: »
    $10 per bag still makes me lol.

this was the only thing that bothered me about their shop. $5 max per bag would have been more honest imo. Then again I expected a bigger bag for my investment and still have this 10 slotter that they gave us founders which doesn't sit right with me either. Now I have to replace the bag I got with the founder's pack which doesn't seem fair honestly for the amount of money we put into those packs.

As for the OP's claim that every other cryptic game is broken not worth it or dying, STO just hit it's 3.5 year mark and celebrated it's 3 yr anniv so not really true there and this was in part due to the overhaul that PWE gave STO when it purchased it. So kinda blows that theory out of the water doesn't it.

Even tho I disagree with your exaggerations there OP I do actually agree with you on some fronts, some of these items could be half their price and still rake in the dough and bags are certainly a great example. What are people more likely to do? Buy a single bag for $10 or buy 2 bags for $10? That's the real question.
  • skirge66skirge66 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sunyam wrote: »
    I'd have to 100% disagree. With EQ2 if you want everything you have to pay $14.99 a month PLUS if you want certain mounts, armor, etc you have to pay extra. How is that better than 100% F2P with the option of paying for mounts and other things?

I would much rather have the option to pay $15 per month and get everything...than get nickle and dimed (or in the case of this games' cash shop ... $5 $10ed to death) for everything...even stuff that really should be a part of the basic game...paying extra for special items ok...even more reasonable pricing would be a step in the right direction.
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    sunyam wrote: »

I was just thinking that too. SOE has been THE SINGLE worst model for gaming since they went Freemium. It was so bad that every single company that marked theirs as F2P but used this model has had a huge outcry from their respective communities telling them they would boycott their products from here to doomsday if they did so. Since then everyone's been moving away from that model, even LOTRO and SWTOR.
  • labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You do understand that free to play games make their money of ' big spenders ' not the budget gamers .
    Asian programmers figured this out long ago .
    If you enjoy the game , PLAY . If not find a game you do enjoy .
    There is nothing in this game you need to buy to play it .
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Path of Exile is the best F2P game out there. GGG knows how to run a good company. PWE knows how to run a good game too, right into the ground. He is right, the OP. About the amount of players this game will have, just look at any of PWE's other games to see he is right. This game is no different.

Couple of things:

PoE costs a lot less to develop - or at least it should.
    No one knows how much money GGG is making. If any. PW's financial statements are a matter of public record.
    If PoE is so great, why aren't you playing it instead of complaining about NW?
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How many "Items in the Zen store are too expensive" threads do we need? I swear there's like 2-3 new ones every hour.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rapticor wrote: »
    How many "Items in the Zen store are too expensive" threads do we need? I swear there's like 2-3 new ones every hour.

Good point. Perhaps they should charge ZEN to post a thread then?
  • gsundered11gsundered11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I agree with the OP. I spend money in MMO's. I'm fine with the shop content and i'm doing okay for disposable income. But these prices are taking the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. I could afford to buy stuff but I'm not as i don't like having the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> taken out of me. Prices need cutting by at least 50%, probably more. If they were I'd have bought all kinds of stuff and the company would be making money out of me. As it is they are making nothing.
    edited May 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Good point. Perhaps they should charge ZEN to post a thread then?

Sure. I'm OK with that. Maybe then more people would use the Reply function.
  • gsundered11gsundered11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    That's because things in the Zen store are too expensive. The more threads on this the better then maybe they'll realise it's putting off potemtial players. It's certainly putting off me and I'm one of those great, more money than sense, happy to spend types they really want to keep.
  • zuluzulutozuluzuluto Member Posts: 112
    edited May 2013
    That's because things in the Zen store are too expensive. The more threads on this the better then maybe they'll realise it's putting off potemtial players. It's certainly putting off me and I'm one of those great, more money than sense, happy to spend types they really want to keep.

They arent finished bilking the whales yet. Give it a month, maybe two, and they'll lower but...if the whales keep spending enough for them to turn profit, then you normal fish are going to be screwed.
    If I havent offended you today....dont worry!!!....there's always tomorrow. Of course, you could also go to here for all I care.
  • withoutmagicwithoutmagic Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Although this thread has become something like fonders pack buyers vs non buyers, here goes nothing:
    steampunky wrote: »
    "Stuff is too expensive for me!"

"Well it's probably in-line with the metrics and marketing data that PW and Cryptic have access to that we don't."

"But stuff is too expensive for me! Your game is gonna diiiiiiieeeeee!"

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

-Rachel-

Hello Rachel. I am not one that makes that kind of predictions "game is gonna die", but i will say that game will lack on the long term the necesary backroom funds if they keep up with these prices. The foundry is a great way to have lots of "free" content in the game without moving a developer finger, but at some point the game will need an expansion, or patches that have free content in dungeons/raids (of the sorts, i'm only 30 so i don't really know what the endgame is at this point). And when the marketing departement will say something along the lines "the studyes say that the game would benefit greatly from some xpack revitalisation", the boss will say: well i don't want to invest in a game that barely made it's initial investment money back. So, in the end, not only we will loose since at some point, you will get bored of playing the same stuff over and over, but so will they, cause we will turn to other games.

Unfortunately, i don't enjoy that game so, i can't say anything about it. Maybe they do, maybe they don't, i'll take a look around theyr website when i'll get a chance.
    skirge66 wrote: »
    I would much rather have the option to pay $15 per month and get everything...than get nickle and dimed (or in the case of this games' cash shop ... $5 $10ed to death) for everything...even stuff that really should be a part of the basic game...paying extra for special items ok...even more reasonable pricing would be a step in the right direction.

It's highly unlikely that will happen, paying 15$ per month and getting everything. I would settle for something along the lines, montly subscription for a certain period (see Wow's annual pass idea) and i get to pay for bags/bank space(the thing that most buggs me at this moment) for gold/diamonds. That way they keep me invested in the game while they are getting some revenue off me. Also while paying monthly sub i wouldn't mind if they'd reduce zen cost with 10% so i can buy the ocasional fancy die for my new gear. In my opinion (pointing to the next quote) there's where the big bugs are made at.
    labbb wrote: »
    You do understand that free to play games make their money of ' big spenders ' not the budget gamers .
    Asian programmers figured this out long ago .
    If you enjoy the game , PLAY . If not find a game you do enjoy .
    There is nothing in this game you need to buy to play it .

I am not so sure about that. I'd say that the games make money from people that are constant spenders, not huge spenders all at once. For example: some huge spender comes and buys 1000$ of zen gets everything he wants and in my experience after 2-3 months tops he jumps over the pond to another game; where as, a regular person, will be more faithfull to it's game since he's playing it out of pure pleasure and will buy in 1 year 3000$ worth of zen.
    Le: seems i haven't finished my ideea here. I enjoy the game, a lot. I fiind very difficult to cope with the fact that i lack so much in the bag/bank space department. It is something that slowly but surely is driving me away from the game. Being overwhelmingly forced to buy with real money for some quality of life improvements it's not a good thing. I for one, can't afford 10$ for a bag, or even if could afford it, i wouldn't buy it. It is too expensive. I might have to say 1-2 things about this, but i'll leave it be for now.

Hopefully it's feedback well received. I don't follow the forums almost at all except patch/downtime announcements so i have no ideea how many threads are opened about the prices. But i for one, came over here to voice my opinion about the zen market prices. Wich i hope will be taken as a constructive cirticism.
    Sure. I'm OK with that. Maybe then more people would use the Reply function.
    Forums add to the imersion into ones games. Having people turned away from your forums(as in the games forums/developers forums) will be highly detrimental in the long run. The intent of the devs/marketing people is to keep you on they websites, games, stuff as many times possible as much as possible, so you get invested more and in the long term, you pay more for stuff.

Wall of text crits you for over 9000! I might have some spelling errors here and there but, bare with me, it's not my native language and i'm not perfect. :) Here's to a friendly chat, cheers.
  • semunesemune Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just want to say, to the people saying stop making these threads... We need more of these threads, flood the forums with them.

Look at EVERY other PWE game, tell me if there's more than a handful playing that aren't the "big spenders".

They make a killing off of fools that spend upwards of 10-20,000$ on games like BoI, WoI, and jade dynasty.

It's SAD that you can even spend that much. I've spent 1740$ since the beta of WoW... Still play it. Neverwinter, while fun, definitely doesn't have the end game to last longer than 6 months. Anyone who throws over 300$ at a game that lasts 6 months is managing their money incorrectly. You may say they have a lot of extra spending money, I say they can help the poor and give a bum 20$ on the street, but do they do that? No. Do they bother setting aside 150k for their child's college fund? Most likely not. Therefore, I say, what spending money do they really have? It's only in their selfish minds.
  • moodaymooday Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 54
    edited May 2013
    semune wrote: »

Look at EVERY other PWE game

Blacklight Retribution.
  • travismogtravismog Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    One of two things will happen.

People stop spending money and then prices are lowered or people keep spending money and prices stay the same. Its all about demand. If there is a demand for their digital goods then prices will remain a premium. The only way to stop this is to boycott it and vote with your wallet. Just don't spend.
    edited May 2013
    Look, I get it... A lot of the prices in the store are high. Check my post history and you'll find that I agree. I just don't think 800 threads about the same exact same thing will have any more impact that a single thread at 800 pages. After awhile it just becomes noise.

And even then it wont even come down to the forums. It will come down to what are people actually buying in the store in the game. That's what it comes down to.
  • azrael4271azrael4271 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Look, I get it... A lot of the prices in the store are high. Check my post history and you'll find that I agree. I just don't think 800 threads about the same exact same thing will have any more impact that a single thread at 800 pages. After awhile it just becomes noise.

And even then it wont even come down to the forums. It will come down to what are people actually buying in the store in the game. That's what it comes down to.

Ever heard the quote, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease?"
    edited May 2013
    azrael4271 wrote: »
    Ever heard the quote, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease?"

Ever heard the term "not applicable?"
  • azrael4271azrael4271 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pray tell how it's not applicable?
  • sagasaintsagasaint Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elawyn wrote: »

comparing a worldwide known brand making engineering masterpieces with tons of hand-crafted details, with a bunch of 0s and 1s that can be replicated at will by the millions in 0,1 seconds

thats your average PWI fanboi for you. they dont even have <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> for brains, because that would mean having SOMETHING in their heads.
  • riven84riven84 Member, Banned Users Posts: 574 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Apparently they're doing just fine or they wouldn't keep making the same mistake so many times?