test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Great Weapon Fighter HELP!!

tarutataruta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I am noticing a disturbing trend with the Great Weapon Fighter the damage is not scaling correctly. Example being Sure strike does 9-10 damage at the start of the game even though the weapon you equip is doing around 28 damage. The stat should read 37-45 damage but it's not. I demand help with proving if this theory is correct. Because right now Cryptic/Perfect World is ignoring all my attempts at trying to contact them.
Post edited by taruta on

Comments

• mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not long before the open beta Cryptic decided that for some reason that despite feedback that GWF was even then somewhat weak pre-endgame to NERF it again. I seem to remember reading a poster saying that GWF abilities now do LESS damage then their base weapon and with pretty lackluster scaling too. After the effects of the nerfs (at least at lower levels, say pre-40) were felt by the GWF player base, nothing has been heard (surprise, surprise) since AFAIK from the Devs about this issue. So the damage values that you are seeing, as ridiculous as it may seem, are AFAIK intended.
  • pepto2pepto2 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm having a hell of a time with GWF; I seem to take way more damage than even my cleric (before using any heal spells!). This post makes me very, very sad.
  • astaziaastazia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    The game likely only looks at weapon DPS and modifies skill damage by a percentage of that. Abilities aren't weapon swings with bonus damage, they are something convoluted like ((weapon DPS * Z) + (power/W) + X) / Y, with different values for XYZ each hit.
  • ragerblade82ragerblade82 Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    My ****ing wife does more dps as a cleric. She sucks at games and most of the time texting. How the **** did they let this **** go through? I know we are still lower level, but ****ing leveling up is apart of the game, that should not be ignored.
  • infi321infi321 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My ****ing wife does more dps as a cleric. She sucks at games and most of the time texting. How the **** did they let this **** go through? I know we are still lower level, but ****ing leveling up is apart of the game, that should not be ignored.

Your own ****ing wife or you're ****ing your own wife?
    "Your story may not last forever; but it will exist forever"
  • pops000pops000 Member Posts: 250 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

Well now we know who wears the pants in your family pottymouth.
    edited May 2013
    pops000 wrote: »
    Well now we know who wears the pants in your family pottymouth.

Like I care what people think.

I'm pissed that the one class I wanted to play, ends up like trash. Don't they have a play test?

The class was fine before they nerfed it.
    edited May 2013
    infi321 wrote: »
    Your own ****ing wife or you're ****ing your own wife?

Because she even knows she sucks at games, and for her to be doing more damage and having a easier time with the game. Speaks volumes about how poorly it was tested, or how badly they don't listen to play feed back.
    edited May 2013
    The class was fine before they nerfed it. Stupid <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> company.

Actually from what I have read from some beta testers comments the GWF was already regarded as being slightly WEAK while leveling BEFORE they decided to nerf it.

I am guessing that whoever made the decision realises by now (well you would hope they do) it was an extremely bad call, but doesn't want afford to reverse it too quickly as this would make them look incompetent. Not that the current situation makes them look good, but to reverse it would definite highlight the fact that it was a major error on their part.
  • dantethewarriordantethewarrior Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Actually from what I have read from some beta testers comments the GWF was already regarded as being slightly WEAK while leveling BEFORE they decided to nerf it.

I am guessing that whoever made the decision realises by now (well you would hope they do) it was an extremely bad call, but doesn't want afford to reverse it too quickly as this would make them look incompetent. Not that the current situation makes them look good, but to reverse it would definite highlight the fact that it was a major error on their part.

Well they can either hotfix this class, because it is complete <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, it's like playing on suicide difficulty, or the class balancing team can sit in silence while some players will infact quit because that's the class they want to play. Me being one of them, I'd rather play a different game rather than suffer hitting like a wet noodle and spamming 40 potions per dungeon.
  • infi321infi321 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    well they could start by actually making Reaping Strike(when its fully charged) actually do proper damage on par with Lashing blade for the tricksters
    "Your story may not last forever; but it will exist forever"
  • psychotiksoulpsychotiksoul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Lawl you all are morons.....the GWF is supposed to be an Add control off tank..not a Striker like the rogue.....if you play DnD 4ed at all you would realize they are not made to do damage.....like strikers are....that is why rogues will always be top dps until another striker class comes out....Also once you hit 30+ you will most likely be 2nd on the dps charts if you have any semblance of a brain and know how to play your class...
    Kalianya Spellweaver 60 CW <Folklore>
    edited May 2013
    Lawl you all are morons.....the GWF is supposed to be an Add control off tank..not a Striker like the rogue.....if you play DnD 4ed at all you would realize they are not made to do damage.....like strikers are....that is why rogues will always be top dps until another striker class comes out....Also once you hit 30+ you will most likely be 2nd on the dps charts if you have any semblance of a brain and know how to play your class...

This guy does not know what he is talking about. Time to put him in his place..*sighs*

1) This is not dnd. If it was, we would not be talking about higher levels you can be doing good. Since dnd is base around great stories. Sure you had char builds and such, but most people who played dnd did not min/max. They played how they wanted to do it.With that being said, the story of GWF sucks at low levels. It blows chunks, and that is not good design. In a dnd game..all levels matter.

2) NM I don't need to put you in your place anymore. I'm just laughing at your comment.
  • dantethewarriordantethewarrior Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Maybe you can enlighten us with your vast knowledge on how to play this class then. Example I go through a dungeon and lose half my health just on the first part if there is a hexer or one of them big guys. I dodge, use skills, do everything right, but I'm still in melee range, hitting like a wet noodle and because I'm hitting like a wet ****ing noodle, I'm forced to drink more pots than normal.

tell me how to play my class pls.
  • astaziaastazia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    Get a cleric pet. Their damage is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, but they are defenders, tanks, not DPS. They do need a buff, but they are never going to come anywhere close to TR DPS.
  • terhixterhix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 242 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Maybe you can enlighten us with your vast knowledge on how to play this class then. Example I go through a dungeon and lose half my health just on the first part if there is a hexer or one of them big guys. I dodge, use skills, do everything right, but I'm still in melee range, hitting like a wet noodle and because I'm hitting like a wet ****ing noodle, I'm forced to drink more pots than normal.

tell me how to play my class pls.

First: get some anger management course.
    Second: get a cleric companion, she will save you on pots. Note that pretty much everybody has to drink pots in this game (yes, even clerics in dungeons when they get agro), they are cheap and there is really not much else you can do with gold anyway.
    Third: the class subforum has plenty of topics on this matter, there were at least two different guides to a Destroyer build that are very good (including leveling curve and skills). The class is definitely capable of doing a lot of (aoe) dps and on later levels even some single target burst.
    edited May 2013
    astazia wrote: »
    Get a cleric pet. Their damage is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, but they are defenders, tanks, not DPS. They do need a buff, but they are never going to come anywhere close to TR DPS.

No one wants to do TR dps, but at the same time. We would like our strong points to start a tad bit early than 40.

DO you understand how much of a pain in the *** it is to hit like ****, and to have the mobs drink healing pots? DO you know how long it takes? It is a nightmare, and when a cleric can do my job better at these levels. Someone needs to be fired.
    edited May 2013
    terhix wrote: »
    First: get some anger management course.
    Second: get a cleric companion, she will save you on pots. Note that pretty much everybody has to drink pots in this game (yes, even clerics in dungeons when they get agro), they are cheap and there is really not much else you can do with gold anyway.
    Third: the class subforum has plenty of topics on this matter, there were at least two different guides to a Destroyer build that are very good (including leveling curve and skills). The class is definitely capable of doing a lot of (aoe) dps and on later levels even some single target burst.

And now you have morons like this trying to be a smartass.

Get a cleric companion is not the **** problem ok?
  • psychotiksoulpsychotiksoul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was not saying this game was DnD..i was saying that it is based off DnD and the class in DnD is an off shoot of the Guardian Fighter in 4th ED which is the tank in this game...not striker...even in 4th ed strikers are the damage dealers while non strikers are buffers/debuffers and tanks/off tanks....thats all im saying...

And i dont play a GWF but my guild mate Rhek does and he is always number 2 on damage behind a TR, and most of the people i see running epic dungeons this is the case...TR is first followed by GWF then Wizard....again like i said before wait till after level 30..i understand low level is annoying..but in a MMO like this is..its all about End game..not early game or even mid game for that matter....if you dont like it you probably shouldnt play MMO style games
  • terhixterhix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 242 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    And now you have morons like this trying to be a smartass.

Get a cleric companion is not the **** problem ok?

No, it's not a problem, it's a solution. I'm running with her on 60 still, despite her getting twoshotted in dungeons she is still useful as she heals for a % of total hp.
    edited May 2013
    No one wants to do TR dps, but at the same time. We would like our strong points to start a tad bit early than 40.

DO you understand how much of a pain in the *** it is to hit like ****, and to have the mobs drink healing pots? DO you know how long it takes? It is a nightmare, and when a cleric can do my job better at these levels. Someone needs to be fired.

Considering my main is a GF and my GWF isn't far behind, yes I know. It doesn't matter much though because them drinking a potion just adds another couple seconds to a fight. I almost never have to drink potions on either of those characters, the cleric pet keeps me at 100% through all solo content, it's only in skirmishes/dungeons when I'm tanking 3 spawns that I have to potion. That's what playing a tanky character is about, that's why people should be picking fighters.
    edited May 2013
    terhix wrote: »
    No, it's not a problem, it's a solution. I'm running with her on 60 still, despite her getting twoshotted in dungeons she is still useful as she heals for a % of total hp.

Ok so the cleric is going to help you stop hitting like a wet noodle?

I would gladly give up a cleric and spend all my money on pots if I can become a power house AOER at this levels, guess what? Even if I could tank, I do about as much damage as a guardian. No I seen some guardians blow through **** quicker.

This is with me going through the best build I can with what I have. Getting Recovery and Power mix in with some crit. I built pure damage, because I can afford the pots. Yet, the pure damage build is complete ***, and I spend longer on a mob, than my cleric wife who rips through it with ease.

It is sad, no excuse for it and someone needs to be fired for it.
    edited May 2013
    And i dont play a GWF

So it turns out that the person spouting off about how GWF are fine and that all GWF players need to learn to play better/just get to level 60 doesn't actually play one. Am I the only one not surprised?

And, oh look he plays a CW - well at least he wasn't a TR as that would just be the icing on the cake......
    edited May 2013
    Ok so the cleric is going to help you stop hitting like a wet noodle?

I would gladly give up a cleric and spend all my money on pots if I can become a power house AOER at this levels, guess what? Even if I could tank, I do about as much damage as a guardian. No I seen some guardians blow through **** quicker.

This is with me going through the best build I can with what I have. Getting Recovery and Power mix in with some crit. I built pure damage, because I can afford the pots. Yet, the pure damage build is complete ***, and I spend longer on a mob, than my cleric wife who rips through it with ease.

It is sad, no excuse for it and someone needs to be fired for it.

I don't remember what level this skirmish was, but it's pre 40:

worstclass.png

Gather packs, use mighty leap, use not so fast, use reaping strike until you get wicked strike, take damage and use unstoppable (sic!). If you are running around trying to do single target dps then you will fail.
    edited May 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    So it turns out that the person spouting off about how GWF are fine and that all GWF players need to learn to play better/just get to level 60 doesn't actually play one. Am I the only one not surprised?

And, oh look he plays a CW - well at least he wasn't a TR as that would just be the icing on the cake......

I played a GWF 1-50 in BW4 and yes the low levels suck but leveling is doable...and if you would just suck it up and get to the endish game content you wouldnt be screaming like you are now
  • epoch85epoch85 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've read a lot of people's complaints about GWF.

Honestly, and not to be rude, but I think you just need to learn how to build/play your class.

I play a GWF and I do tons of damage. I was a little weak during blacklake skirmishes, when my class was young and didn't have much to work with as far as powers, feats, and gear goes, but every skirmish after that up to my current level (32) I have dominated the damage chart. Competing with, and beating rogues. If there isn't a rogue in the party then I usually top the chart by a landslide.

Solo'ing is too easy. I do drink a lot of health potions, but that's only because I don't try to avoid damage. I take it willingly to build my determination meter. The only attacks I try to avoid are knockdowns and some of the huge magic dmg attacks. Health potions are so plentiful anyway and it's not like there's much else to spend gold on atm.

If it helps... I'm a wood elf crit build. Stacking crit>power>armor pen. I started with a 17str, 14con, 16dex ability score. Pumping my extra points into str/dex only.

At level 32 I'm using maxxed Take Down, Restoring Strike, and Flourish. With 28.5% crit chance. (around 36% with the crit stacking feature) crits are often and these skills do big damage.

For aoe I only use wicked strike, and it cleans house especially if I use it during unstoppable.

I use the dog companion to maximize my dps. It's takedown ability is fairly handy.

I haven't died yet.

Just remember the class is pretty gear dependent and don't be scared to chug them health pots like no tomorrow.
  • drevil2204drevil2204 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    At first i was concerned with my GWF and the damage i was dealing. The first few skirmishes and dungeon run i was last in damage dealt. But the last few skirmishes and the last dungeon i ran. I was top in damage dealt. I do feel like the GWF could be better. But i feel most of it comes down to how well you play with your class.
  • sadgfhsadgfh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I heard that GWFs peak late and are a lot better end game, and I had a hard time believing it. Well, I hit 60 jumped right in with a GS of 6.1K and was right up in the top of the pack for DPS. The only person who beat me was a rogue with a GS of 8K. I beat a CW with a GS of 8K and a rogue with a GS similiar to mine. I did all this without speccing into AOE type attacks also. Mostly single target attacks with situational AOE. TBH, CW are a lot better for AOE since they control, lol.
    Let's pretend like my account name isn't just a random string of characters I got by punching my keyboard.
  • argantisargantis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My GWF is level 45 right now. I just ran several instances. Wolf Den, the Pirate one, skirmishes. I am a destroyer build and I regularly place top 3 in damage. GF, CW, and DC never beat me in damage, ever. Sometimes a TR or another GWF will. Even when they do the differential in damage is minimal. Pre level 40 I struggled a lot. But from what I see Instigators and Destroyers are doing just fine in damage. Now they are squishy, something needs to be done there because they just don't have the survival tools that other classes do. If you go down the sentinel line they you become survivable, but have no threat generation or damage. IMO this is the problem. GWF is too Bi-polar. If you do offense your defense is weak, if you do defense your offense and threat is weak. Right now there is no hybrid, just a class that don't really work like it should.
  • natejam101natejam101 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    taruta wrote: »
    I am noticing a disturbing trend with the Great Weapon Fighter the damage is not scaling correctly. Example being Sure strike does 9-10 damage at the start of the game even though the weapon you equip is doing around 28 damage. The stat should read 37-45 damage but it's not. I demand help with proving if this theory is correct. Because right now Cryptic/Perfect World is ignoring all my attempts at trying to contact them.

I agree, there is something seriously wrong with this class. I got my GWF up to level 43 then deleted it. The amount i was spending on potions was becoming extreme. I made a TR rogue and my problems have been solved. Rarely use a health pot and stuff dies in a timely fashion.

Ive also had much success with higher DPS on my Cleric. Pretty sad.
    ASUS P8Z68 V-Pro Gen3 mobo, Intel i7 2600k, 32gb DDR3 G-Skill Ripjaws, 500gb SSD, 2TB HDD, Geforce GTX 690 x2 Sli, 1200 watt Thermaltake modular PS, Thermaltake gaming tower.