test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

crafting = money sink?

sdneversdnever Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
In every mmo crafting is a money sink... is this the case here?

I'm mainly wondering if the ADs you get from crafting can match the resale value for the crafting mats?
Post edited by sdnever on

Comments

• rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Since you don't need to pay anything for many of the crafting supplies, it doesn't have to be a money sink. That being said, if you're so inclined it can be a gigantic money sink. :)
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rabbinicus wrote: »
    Since you don't need to pay anything for many of the crafting supplies, it doesn't have to be a money sink. That being said, if you're so inclined it can be a gigantic money sink. :)

This. Right now I'm accessing my crafting via Gateway. I hardly spend ANY money (maybe like 3-4 silver tops)
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • lurkersxlurkersx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The only things you need to buy are rare materials from the AH though you could hope you find them from a chest. Leadership actually makes you money... ad and gold. The armor ones require a side material for some but its super cheap, like copper.
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've been getting good items, AD, copper, and experience from my profession work in the gateway.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sdneversdnever Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    oh so your saying the craft mats I am finding from chests and skill kits arent required for low level crafting?
  • allocaterallocater Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why is Residuum used for everything? and the other green profession items [Fundamental Ice] [Symbol of Moradin] [Desert Flower] are used for 1 recipe and nearly worthless.
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sdnever wrote: »
    oh so your saying the craft mats I am finding from chests and skill kits arent required for low level crafting?

They are, but they're not particularly rare and can be generated by crafting (crafting can both create and consume the basic resources).
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sdnever wrote: »

Residium and some of the other mats can be created by crafting.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 54
    edited May 2013
    The rare crafting mats (like Residuum) are used for the top quliaty (i.e. Blue) gear that you can make in the professions. They are needed for the lower level crafting.
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I believe NWN did a great thing that allow crafting via gateway. It is pretty awesome. I can do my "low timer" like 10m stuff and check back on it and get mats (like iron ore for metal work) It sucks that it doesn't work on Droid and iphone (java base and there are other threads on it) but if you play your cards right (and lucky to find mats) you can totally not spend any AD to craft.

You may spend some copper.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Saw a pair of rare purple pants the other day that i could "almost" craft, but didn't have a dragon's egg. later i found one. Grr... ;)

You can cheaply level crafting, since you will out level what you can use, if you want to craft a certain thing though, be prepared to search for a missing item. I've been mostly gathering materials, mass weaving those, and doing random leadership ones. More of a time sink than anything else, but since you don't even have to be online to do it, it's fine. Just don't expect to powerlevel it without AD, but there really isn't a point to that.