test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry xp farm legal?

thedraugthedraug Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
All this foundry xp farming going on, watched some streams today also with ppl doing this very effectivly. was empty map with lots of mobs in it.

Is this legal?
Post edited by thedraug on

Comments

• kaskiankaskian Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    of course it is. Its player made content. You are defeating enemies for XP. Perfectly OK.
    Kie - Renegade Drow - Wizard | Orion - Half Elf - Cleric | Kia - Tiefling - Rogue
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vitadrink469vitadrink469 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I dont see why not, it is a player created map that was programmed by the developer to allow players to create their map...
    Their way of making map is to slap a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> ton of monsters in a small area and kill it all... sounds fair to me O.o
  • drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The encounters are restricted by cryptic for us authors. Those types of creations lack imagination or creativity and can be created in the span of about 5 minutes. Legal, yep. Fun? Not for me.

If all you want to do is hack down a bunch of bad guys in a row go for it. If you want a story and something interesting try out a campaign like mine, or many other skilled foundry authors.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    A story driven quest, with a fun and challenging amount of combat, that takes you into the world of Planescape, carefully hand crafted by me.
  • sofademonsofademon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 75
    edited May 2013
    That is the dark side of the Foundry, the same thing happened in Star Trek Online. Personally I dont see the point of it. There is fun and well produced story content( both by developers and through the Foundry) that will help you level quickly enough, it seems like you are really missing the game if you just kill a room full of orcs over and over. Its not a race to 60.
  • elenoe8elenoe8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    you can kill mobs on map and get great boost from quests same way. No need to "exploit" foundry for that.

Also I think leveling is way too fast. I'm not even week in the game, I read all lore, all Foundry texts I've crossed, spending hour and half on mission with average 25mins. Doing a LOT of trading and I'm 45 already. Just for time to time completing new map. It was much slower in STO.
  • bellaralodunbellaralodun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I like farming, I also like story. I find it ok to load up a farm-based foundry and go nuts... that is where the "tip" comes in. I will not tip a farming dungeon much, perhaps none, but I will tip for a great story-based user created dungeon in a heartbeat.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The amount of XP a mob gives is not determined by the author of the foundry quest. Sure, they can put a ton of mobs there, and even easier ones, but I think it is fine. It is like rushing, which is also something I would not do, but if people want to be 60 asap, it is their choice.

It took me a bit over 70 hours /played time to get to 60 on my CW by just playing and reading everything, and I enjoyed that. Others did that in half the time. With my alts, I will probably level through PvP and foundry quests, but normal ones. I love seeing what people create! :)
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
    edited May 2013
    That's fair enough, but if someone wants to spam to 60, its up to them. Its perfectly ok to do so.
    Kie - Renegade Drow - Wizard | Orion - Half Elf - Cleric | Kia - Tiefling - Rogue
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • redstorm55redstorm55 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited May 2013
    some people like to just go all the way to end, farm elite loot, and then complain there's no content.

Comes with every MMO :P
  • damnkilljoydamnkilljoy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not spamming my way to 60. Perhaps in the future with an alt when I don't want to do the same things over and over again, but spamming to 60 with your first char? Defeating the point.
  • stormerstormer Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I cannot find the link now but one dev mentioned the foundry exp is capped per day or some such. More along the lines you can make 4 hours of regular play equivalent in foundry missions per day.
  • drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    redstorm55 wrote: »
    some people like to just go all the way to end, farm elite loot, and then complain there's no content.

Comes with every MMO :P

I was laughing on the first day of the Hero's head start people were already hitting level 30 while I was writing my first quest. I laughed, and said you guys better slow down! There wont be anything for you to enjoy at the end game if you don't. They told me to be quiet.

The next day, there were a couple level 60s complaining that there weren't enough 60s in the que for dungeons and other content. I quietly said... i told you so.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    A story driven quest, with a fun and challenging amount of combat, that takes you into the world of Planescape, carefully hand crafted by me.
  • lazywilllazywill Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There's no rule against it. I wouldn't find it fun, but it's allowed.
    edited May 2013
    I have tried this and the normal Foundry quests completion XP far outweighs the "XP farms" that people are doing.

those farms are good for fighting big bosses (or BAMs ;) ) but yeah its no shortcut really
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darkwingz88darkwingz88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its fun when you want to test your build/gear/new skills fast and on large ammount of hard enemies.
    I done maybe 3-4 "quests" like those or hack & slash dungeons. Got pretty much bored and moved back to normal questing :)

Im quite sure on next chars I will level up exclusively by foundry and pvp.
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 131
    edited May 2013
    I was wondering if something like this was going to happen. For me I've been kind of avoiding the Foundry stuff because I don't want to out level the regular game content.
  • adrynbadrynb Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think farming tends to get a bad rap. I don't solely do it but there have certainly been times in mmos when i'll queue up a tv series and zone out, honestly its strangely relaxing and a few hours later when you finally decide ok that's it i've really gotta pee now your left relaxed, leveled up and ready to get into the rest of the game again.
  • devilsdozendevilsdozen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kaskian wrote: »
    I have tried this and the normal Foundry quests completion XP far outweighs the "XP farms" that people are doing.

those farms are good for fighting big bosses (or BAMs ;) ) but yeah its no shortcut really

i dunno, i found questing to be way way way WAY more efficient than foundry, skirmishing, pvp or dungeon running. It took me about 1 day 10 hours /played time to get to 60 doing just storyline quests and 1-2 dungeons and skirmishes. I tried doing foundries at first, but quickly realised that the exp/time was worse than the default questing. Also less fun.
    Foundries need more control :/
  • elenoe8elenoe8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    only foundry end reward. Killing mobs is still killing mobs. No matter where. Quests rewards are generous and unlimited.
    edited May 2013
    I don't think they need more control or restriction, ever. Its all down to people, its its own beast and people will vote with their ratings on what they want to play. That is the beauty of player made missions...

We don't need any restriction saying "You cannot play this, you have played this mission 5 times today. Try this one instead"

No thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • narathkornarathkor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah boring, I am working on my first foundry campaign, to do it right is actually a lot of work.
    Please check out my foundry quests!
    The Sins of the Father NW-DLN6BC8NX
    A Name For Yourself NW-DRBWMCFL4
    Click Here To Visit The Official Thread
  • ragerblade82ragerblade82 Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    Easy fix. Mobs give no xp. Only finishing it rewards.

Lets keep our game story base, and not this trash.
  • mrarkedosmrarkedos Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think it's fine. If this is what people want to do, then they shall grind for how long they want. Personally I played Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale & co. all games which are nearer to the pen & paper I think that MMO's are not appropriate to do real RP. For me the fun lies in grinding gear and get a more powerful character. Thats why I love that Neverwinter has a tier-set item system similair to the one that World of Warcraft has.

And I can't wait for the Raids to be released.
    edited May 2013
    Easy fix. Mobs give no xp. Only finishing it rewards.

Lets keep our game story base, and not this trash.

Ehhh, lets not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bpphantombpphantom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I love the Foundry. After I level my DC "traditionally" with only the daily Foundry and an few stories from favourite authors, I might take an alt through to 60 doing only Foundry missions (other than daily dungeons).
    - bpphantom

Grace, Tiefling Devoted Cleric

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman."
  • itdude123itdude123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sounds pretty boring to me. I prefer a good story and fun ending. Much like the gladiator fight with the half-naked dancing girls at the end. My kind of foundary mission! lol
  • d3per93d3per93 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kaskian wrote: »
    of course it is. Its player made content. You are defeating enemies for XP. Perfectly OK.

I'm actually doing that with the Foundry Daily quest from today and also yesterday which considering that you get 1,000 raw diamonds every Foundry quest completed.
  • fishboy1111fishboy1111 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i dont think levelling is too fast, i have been playing a ton since launch and have only hit lvl 21, i am on disability and have a lot of free time, its not faster than other mmo's
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    itdude123 wrote: »
    Sounds pretty boring to me. I prefer a good story and fun ending. Much like the gladiator fight with the half-naked dancing girls at the end. My kind of foundary mission! lol

Ah, "The Pit". :) It is my go-to quest for the foundry daily too because I know exactly how long it takes! It's not really very original, but it is paced well and it's just plain fun.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • roguehwzroguehwz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
    edited May 2013
    Xp given by killing mobs in foundry is actually slower than those awarded by quest-lines completion. Which by the way, mobs scale according to your level, so they can be a real pain to kill or you getting killed... Try a foundry mission at level 50+ yet? lol. Sweating bullets trying to get 4 foundry missions done at level 60...

Also... leveling out of a certain level bracket meant you missed out the skirmish and dungeons via the LFG.

Leveling is fast when you are slightly pimped out with the founder's pack gear. I skipped about 4 dungeons and skirmishes(as well as level bracket daily diamond rewards from Rhix) as I out-leveled the level brackets for it. Headstart low population meant almost no queues popping for dungeons/skirmishes at higher levels( 30 to 50 range)...