test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

This delay..Europe related.

asdfqwertysasdfqwertys Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 29 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
You really need to add a server for Europeans asap, i dont see the logic behind having only US servers, yes generally US players are more but how are we supposed to play with 200-300ms?

Yes PvE is possible, we will get a few extra attacks from monters but PvP isnt possible in an ACTION MMO with this kind of ping.

And this whole "proxy" doesnt work at all, it makes it even worst actually so i am not sure why it even exists.

Add some actual European servers or something, or well we will see after the maintenance.
Post edited by asdfqwertys on

Comments

• imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I have been pvping just fine, as a CW (lots of blinking, so it is lag sensitive). I would not mind an EU server, obviously, but it really sounds more problematic than it really is. This is a MMO, not a precision shooter.

NW doesn't use servers in the WoW-sense.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    NW doesn't use servers in the WoW-sense.

There are hundreds of servers around the world.
    You are seeing three shards but each shard is a network of hundreds of servers. Not a single US Server. :)
  • haxomehaxome Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm having a 20-30 ms ping most of the time, guess its just your connection
  • zzacczzacc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You are seeing three shards but each shard is a network of hundreds of servers. Not a single US Server. :)

Please elaborate. Are you suggesting different instances are hosted around the world? Or that the hosting is P2P?

I always have ~150-200 ms ping which corresponds a server located in NA, and a delay that comes with it.

Which at this age of online gaming is a shamefully cheap solution, and is not acceptable.
    haxome wrote: »
    I'm having a 20-30 ms ping most of the time, guess its just your connection

Pointless, inflammatory post. You are not in Europe.
    I have a grade A connection and it's not possible for my ping to be less than 150 ms on a NA based server.
  • diepvrieskistjediepvrieskistje Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My latency isn,t too bad from the eu 110-130 ms excluding the server overload which gives me 1200+
  • harsiharsi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

doesnt make sence at all, where comes the delay and lag from? if u realy got so many "Servers" how u guys got a que from like 10k+ ppl. u know 100 good Servers can handle alot of ppl, and i mean realy alot of.... if u tell me 1 Server can handle 50ppl, well i can see ur Problem.
  • smauztssmauzts Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You really need to add a server for Europeans asap, i dont see the logic behind having only US servers, yes generally US players are more but how are we supposed to play with 200-300ms?

Yes PvE is possible, we will get a few extra attacks from monters but PvP isnt possible in an ACTION MMO with this kind of ping.

And this whole "proxy" doesnt work at all, it makes it even worst actually so i am not sure why it even exists.

Add some actual European servers or something, or well we will see after the maintenance.

Agree. I have superb internet in Sweden and I still have 180-300ping on the servers. Playing as a CW you easily see the delays.

Examples;
    When you blink dodge there is about 1 sec delay until you can move again.
    When you shoot your last "at will" combo, the monster dies about 1sec after the shoots have reach the target.

They do not have "internet servers" close to EU. If they do, they must be overpopulated or very bad.

Luckily the game is really fun and all I can hope is that they do fix good EU servers so that we can challenge NA players in PvP ;)

Internet test: (My location; Sweden, Middle. Ping location; Trondheim.)
    97 M/bits DOWN and 71 M/bits UP.

Regards, Smauzt
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    harsi wrote: »
    doesnt make sence at all, where comes the delay and lag from? if u realy got so many "Servers" how u guys got a que from like 10k+ ppl. u know 100 good Servers can handle alot of ppl, and i mean realy alot of.... if u tell me 1 Server can handle 50ppl, well i can see ur Problem.

Don't mistake the login queue for server capacity. The queue is there because the login server can't process people trying to log in fast enough, not because the servers are full. Think of a bunch of people trying to get into a house with a small door:)
    smauzts wrote: »
    Internet test: (My location; Sweden, Middle. Ping location; Trondheim.)
    97 M/bits DOWN and 71 M/bits UP.

This isn't really relevant, you can play any multiplayer game with 1 Mb down 256 Kb up perfectly fine,
    provided that it's stable. Though downloading and patching would be fun:D

Our problem is simply that the servers are physically too far away, causing high ping;/
  • nightw0lfnightw0lf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same problem here... 180 - 200 latency which is really bad...
    I tried the eu proxy but using this option is much worse, around 300 - 350 ms.
    Please Cryptic do something about this...we really need an european server!
  • xantrisxantris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

While the shards are made up of many servers, how sure of you of their location? Last I heard, Cryptic hosted servers entirely out of a datacenter in Boston... although they often host their test servers locally in California.
  • dark0vdark0v Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    PWE has data centers around the world, but I would expect NW to be entirely hosted in Boston, like STO & CO are.
  • daxx360daxx360 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Then to use the correct terminology, can we please, get an EU "Shard" that not only uses a localized EU time frame for things such as maintenance, but also focuses it's "server usage" on the ones located within the EU as well as the data centre to help with pings and the like?
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    I don't pretend to be an expert on their system but I know the high latency issues are something that only some Eu Players report.
    The high latency would be universal if there wasn't a deeper problem regarding Eu which tend to have higher pings.

Also if you haven't tried already change the proxy in the launcher to Eu. Some are finding it to cause an Log-In error but it should help with the ping.

And the high queue is simply that...network issues. It had nothing to do with the servers.
    rehpic wrote: »
    The three Neverwinter shards are made up of hundreds of actual server machines. The issues today were due to some failed network equipment, not the servers running the game.
    edited May 2013
    I don't pretend to be an expert on their system but I know the high latency issues are something that only some Eu Players report.
    The high latency would be universal if there wasn't a deeper problem regarding Eu which tend to have higher pings.

Also if you haven't tried already change the proxy in the launcher to Eu. Some are finding it to cause an Log-In error but it should help with the ping.

Some report it, others just suck it up. It's simply not possible to connect to the other side of the world and have a good ping.

As for the proxy, Eu proxy doesn't really affect the lag but it causes some serious rubberbanding for me. I haven't tried using the US proxy to see what happens, but since it gives you a warning when you try to select it I'd say it's a safe bet it wouldn't help.
  • asdfqwertysasdfqwertys Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013

And the high queue is simply that...network issues. It had nothing to do with the servers.

If the guy thats a forum moderator in an online gaming industry doesnt know about basic network engineering and ping values then its quite obvious what the quality of the rest of the stuff is.

I might get banned for saying this but oh well.

Dont post even if you are a moderator if your knowledge about the most basic of basic networking ALSO KNOWN AS distance isnt there, such dumb answers only makes it worst, i understand how 99% of the players have no clue why they are lagging, but saying stuff like "They are working on it" simply baffles me.

They are working on what exactly? shrinking the earth so the distance is gonna be less? Or maybe they are gonna shrink the stratosphere so they can put a satelite connection instead?

Basic networking engineering = DISTANCE CAUSES DELAY, but yeah, they are working on it!

Tell them that European players cant play, and our best connections AKA THE SWEDISH cant even play with their 100/100, if you have 1 proper network engineer in your building he will tell the company to start a EU based server for us.
  • trebarrunatrebarruna Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    daxx360 wrote: »
    Then to use the correct terminology, can we please, get an EU "Shard" that not only uses a localized EU time frame for things such as maintenance, but also focuses it's "server usage" on the ones located within the EU as well as the data centre to help with pings and the like?

I am fully aware that we are playing a Beta game, a free game. But as an European player (I think every single EU player probably thinks/feels the same) such details as those stated above make a huge difference. For example, the maintenance today: will happen during our whole afternoon. If right now I have an insane queue between 18k-100k (no idea if it’s a bug or not such weird numbers) I can only imagine what will happen when everyone is massively trying to login.

This is not a rant, just a suggestion to increase player base happiness and improve the game itself.
  • olafr20041974olafr20041974 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    2 hours waiting and still at Queue 114998 O.o At this rate i will be PERHAPS ingame around 8pm.
  • olafr20041974olafr20041974 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    PS: i don#t think its an bug but wanted by the developers. You are pushed back when an Hero of the North-player logs in, so you will be pushed massively to the back as you are not important.
  • nightw0lfnightw0lf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I can tell you for sure that all my guild members (30+) who live in different parts of europe have like 150-200 ms. It's not just "some" as you said. I don't think it's possible for us europeans to have <100 latency on the current US shards.
    I was speechless when i found out that there won't be an european server. Im really disappointed :( but i do hope pwe/criptic will reconsider and think about us poor europeans :)
  • curthaagerscurthaagers Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This needs more attention. I haven't seen any real official comment on this, and being left in the dark isn't that good of a feeling.
  • elenoe8elenoe8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    um, why? I think it was answered well. One day there will be only one shard. No EU, no US. And right now there are a server in EU. Having no ping issues.
    edited May 2013
    There is a problem with one of the EU proxy's. EU1 proxy is having trouble connecting to the log in server, while EU2 does it straight away. Sadly it seems to be random which you connect to after setting the launcher to use a proxy since I have noticed myself using both.
  • bartolomeo85bartolomeo85 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same problem here, experienced a lot of lag with 300-400ms spikes
    I quote we would need an eu server!
  • zharzhar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Chances are we won't get one.
    They shafted us with STO, and are probably gonna do the same here.
    edited May 2013

An EU Shard, that connects primarily to servers and a data centre located in Europe*. I have noticed that if you ask for an EU server you will just be told about how "each shard is made up of hundreds of servers located all around the world".
  • doowie1982doowie1982 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 284 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I've yet to experience any latency what do ever and neither have any of the people in my guild who are from all over Europe and some of the United States and Canada. So it appears that either most of you who are lagging are from the same country or you are using the same Internet Provider, who is directly traffic from a hub which is too small to handle the large amount of traffic passing through it.

Either way the servers are perfectly fine, it's just an issue from your end to connecting to the server itself.

Only time I've personally experienced any latency was when the servers all had the rubber banding issue a few days ago.
    60 Dwarf Devoted Cleric
    60 Drow Trickster Rogue
    11 Elf Control Wizard

Server:
    Beholder
    Guild:
    Praetor Lupus
    Guild Website: http://www.PraetorLupus.com

Hero of the North & Guardian of Neverwinter Founder.
    edited May 2013
    elenoe8 wrote: »
    And right now there are a server in EU.

And which one would that be? I have tried all three servers and I have well over 150 ping.
  • doowie1982doowie1982 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 284 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    daxx360 wrote: »
    An EU Shard, that connects primarily to servers and a data centre located in Europe*. I have noticed that if you ask for an EU server you will just be told about how "each shard is made up of hundreds of servers located all around the world".

The main mega server for each shard is located within the United States, in California if you want the exact location. However they have cluster servers located all over Europe, Asia and other parts of the world to allow for people to connect and not experience any latency issues.

The latency that people are experiencing right now is something that is local for those people as if this was happening on the servers, it would be effecting EVERYONE!. This means that the ISP you have is directing traffic through small hubs and thus causing a blockage.

I would highly recommend you contact your ISP for further help as if there were server related issues, they would be communicating this like they have done in the past.
    60 Dwarf Devoted Cleric
    60 Drow Trickster Rogue
    11 Elf Control Wizard

Server:
    Beholder
    Guild:
    Praetor Lupus
    Guild Website: http://www.PraetorLupus.com

Hero of the North & Guardian of Neverwinter Founder.
    edited May 2013
    doowie1982 wrote: »
    I would highly recommend you contact your ISP for further help as if there were server related issues, they would be communicating this like they have done in the past.

Not sure what to say to them. If saying that I have latency in a video game they will direct me to the game developer instead.
  • emrendillemrendill Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 70
    edited May 2013
    I'm from EU and my ping in Neverwinteris 150-230ms. Playing on Mindflayer shard.

On Tera EU, my ping was around 70ms.