test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

more popular than forecasted?

k0ngninjak0ngninja Member Posts: 10 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I understand they had some failed network hardware yesterday but it seems they might have way under prepared how many people were going to play. Granted it's "open beta" which in my opinion is a way for them to walk around issues blame it on being "beta". But really...who are we kidding this is launch really who gives a headstart to paying players for beta..

I just wish they would have done some more testing to allow everyone in (not via a beta key so they can semi prepare how many could possible try to play) this would have gave them some real stress test numbers.

Also yes I know the game is free to play but I wanted the launch (this is not beta!) to be as smooth as possible because I really enjoy the game and have been promoting it a lot.

On another note they have been doing good issue updates.

Okay back to looking at my white box aka launcher screen. =)
Post edited by k0ngninja on

Comments

• Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The issues are solely with connecting, not with the game. I have been playing all day today (like every day since Thursday!) and there are zero technical problems.

Games like SW:TOR, Rift, etc. all had long queues when they launched, as did D3. It's just the nature of the beast. The patch later today and the network tweaks will probably help with login troubles. It's just a few hours until then.

But queues are normal for any new MMO that people are interested in. SW:TOR, for example, had 7 hours queues in the first week, during the headstart! And they knew exactly how many people to expect because they had numbers.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    These kinds of issues ALWAYS happen no matter what, I can't recall a game that didn't have some kind of network issue on public launch.
    Neverwinter Online Open Beta is an ongoing success
  • Options
    sarria221sarria221 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "I just wish they would have done some more testing to allow everyone in"

How would thta be functionally any different from what they are doing now?
  • Options
    vfibsuxvfibsux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 38
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    The issues are solely with connecting, not with the game. I have been playing all day today (like every day since Thursday!) and there are zero technical problems.

Games like SW:TOR, Rift, etc. all had long queues when they launched, as did D3. It's just the nature of the beast. The patch later today and the network tweaks will probably help with login troubles. It's just a few hours until then.

But queues are normal for any new MMO that people are interested in. SW:TOR, for example, had 7 hours queues in the first week, during the headstart! And they knew exactly how many people to expect because they had numbers.

In other words.......the game works fine IF you can log in. :/
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    vfibsux wrote: »

That is a lot better than, say, WoW's launch where I had queues AND the server toppled over every two hours, I fell through the floor and rollbacks reset the progress a few times a week! :p The game servers here run rock stable.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    disneffadisneffa Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »

since thursday? so u payed the 200$ right.. so there for u get jumped to the front of the line devs said it there selves cause of there appreciation. imo its total bs, they should appreciate everyone equaly for taking intrest in the game and not favoring the people willing to blow way to much money on a new game, and by them coming out and saying all im hearing is so if u pay 200$ u wont have to wait an hr when u want to play or when u get dc'd.. ill give it another day and im outie
  • Options
    xantrisxantris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    vfibsux wrote: »

Yep Queues are a hell of a lot better than them letting everyone in and having the servers crash all day long. The folks who paid for the game are mostly unaffected.
  • Options
    cesmode8cesmode8 Member Posts: 384 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I agree.
    Smoothest launch so far. Gameplay is solid.

I think the things that will hurt this game are the zen store/prices, and if the queues do not improve. Other than that, a quality game for even a sub model.
  • Options
    psyb3rtr011psyb3rtr011 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Gameplay is solid?

Riiiiiight! Rubbr banding so much, that I was unable to get out of the market to continue the quest for a full 20 minutes.... Ended up logging off and saying $&%^ it!
    Psyb3rTr011
    AKA Cyber Troll and Euben Hadd
  • Options
    k0ngninjak0ngninja Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The issue is the authentication servers which to me should be easier to expand capacity if they are just an ldap server that then hands you off to the game servers and you sit in queue. Or it could be issue with a load balancer that sits in front of those ldap servers hard to tell. Rift had queue times on popular servers but not all at launch and I didn't play SW (thankfully)

I don't mind issues if they are addressing them which they are and plus they are doing good updates. I wish all games devs would rethink their stress test process. The devs said more than once they were doing everything to avoid what ended up happening for launch and it falls back to poor stress testing.
  • Options
    xantrisxantris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Gameplay is solid?

Riiiiiight! Rubbr banding so much, that I was unable to get out of the market to continue the quest for a full 20 minutes.... Ended up logging off and saying $&%^ it!

Didn't experience it myself, but I only played about 2 hours tonight. It must be terrible for you to have inconvenienced yourself for 20 minutes on a launch day of a free game.
  • Options
    rochirenfuinrochirenfuin Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    xantris wrote: »
    Didn't experience it myself, but I only played about 2 hours tonight. It must be terrible for you to have inconvenienced yourself for 20 minutes on a launch day of a free game.

Indeed, some people truly do need to take a step back and look at what they are saying before posting... but then his name does indicate him to be a troll, so I just eyeroll at such imbeciles
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Gameplay is solid?

Rubberbanding is as much PCU related as it is server. If you have your processor OC'd, you can rubberband. I have none of that last night, and Im on a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> 6 year old rig dude.
  • Options
    fongadorfongador Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 264 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    k0ngninja wrote: »
    I understand they had some failed network hardware yesterday but it seems they might have way under prepared how many people were going to play. Granted it's "open beta" which in my opinion is a way for them to walk around issues blame it on being "beta". But really...who are we kidding this is launch really who gives a headstart to paying players for beta..

I just wish they would have done some more testing to allow everyone in (not via a beta key so they can semi prepare how many could possible try to play) this would have gave them some real stress test numbers.

Also yes I know the game is free to play but I wanted the launch (this is not beta!) to be as smooth as possible because I really enjoy the game and have been promoting it a lot.

Apparently.

I'm all for companies not going stir crazy on servers but when you have a queue of 10k plus waiting to login there is a problem XD
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    xantris wrote: »

Nice mis-quote of my comment... I played long enough to create the character and get to the market. Not sure of the time. The whole time I was rubber-banding constantly. It was the final straw when after 20 minutes of trying to leave the market, I was unable because of rubber banding. Once I got all the way to the door of the building, before gettiing rubber banded all the way back to the merchant.

The rubber banding (Lag) was affected movement, causing me to be unable to move with the "WASD" keys, all during the tutorial phase.

No it wasn't terrible for me. Just a major inconvenience, and luckily it did not end up in me being "Lag Killed."

I plan on returning, and playing more. But after fully 20 minutes of being able to do absolutely nothing, I left.

Oh, one thing, it might be where I am logging in from, South East Asia.
    Psyb3rTr011
  • Options
    tomuk4444tomuk4444 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't get this 'queues are normal' bs, I've played and beta tested loads of MMOs and have never had this 'queuing' before, maybe it is because this is the first Cryptic game I have managed to get into 'open beta', I try and login today and there is a 9k+ queue, wtf is up with that. Surely in this day and age where nearly everyone in the developed world has a computer and internet access and millions of online gamers play MMOs, you would think you might need more shards/servers.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Nice mis-quote of my comment... I played long enough to create the character and get to the market. Not sure of the time. The whole time I was rubber-banding constantly. It was the final straw when after 20 minutes of trying to leave the market, I was unable because of rubber banding. Once I got all the way to the door of the building, before gettiing rubber banded all the way back to the merchant.

The rubber banding (Lag) was affected movement, causing me to be unable to move with the "WASD" keys, all during the tutorial phase.

No it wasn't terrible for me. Just a major inconvenience, and luckily it did not end up in me being "Lag Killed."

I plan on returning, and playing more. But after fully 20 minutes of being able to do absolutely nothing, I left.

Again, as much processor related as anything else.

I dont think this game is taxing at all on hardware though...Compared to a game like Rift. Now theres a game where I couldnt get more than 25 FPS during a rift event. Thats terribad optimization.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

You should. It is a good game. They simply severely misjudged the population levels they would have playing the game. Kind of stunned really. Usually companies go the complete opposite route haha.
  • Options
    monarrchmonarrch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 164 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Gameplay is solid?

I know a bad experience sucks for you personally. I have had a few Foundry quests that I spent 30 minutes in only to have them glitch out right before I finish them for my daily. It sucks but if you look at the big picture, the game hasnt been as plagued with issues as most past launches that I have seen. The queue thing is out of hand especially for founders who paid, but I do think that was a foresight issue. They could have a another shard up in a week if they wanted...we'll see.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    tomuk4444 wrote: »
    I don't get this 'queues are normal' bs, I've played and beta tested loads of MMOs and have never had this 'queuing' before, maybe it is because this is the first Cryptic game I have managed to get into 'open beta', I try and login today and there is a 9k+ queue, wtf is up with that. Surely in this day and age where nearly everyone in the developed world has a computer and internet access and millions of online gamers play MMOs, you would think you might need more shards/servers.

Or, like most MMO launches, everyone piles into the servers, crash them and they are down. Or like most MMOs, people pile in and lag the hell out of cities and zones. I experienced none of that last night. Annoying as queues are, it provided stability. Id also bet that PWE is looking at queus as a way to entice people to spend 200$ on HoTN and get priority in the queue. But who is that devious :)
  • Options
    draggonwolfsdraggonwolfs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    edited May 2013

I didn't misquote anything. You didn't relay enough information kiddo.

And yeah, i suspect the whole being thousands of km away from the nearest server might have had something to do with it.
  • Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yea, Queue it at 12k now. Methinks they need more servers, lol
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Indeed, some people truly do need to take a step back and look at what they are saying before posting... but then his name does indicate him to be a troll, so I just eyeroll at such imbeciles

Jumping to conclusions about my login... Sweet..

Have had a variation of this handle (Had it here a couple years ago, before the switch to PW, and it was not transferred.) since 1992, Yes, 1992. WIth a Compuserve Email Account. This was before I knew what a Troll was on the Internet. It has more to do with a play on words nickname I got in my D&D days of my first name (First three letters are the same as Troll), my big nose (Not quite Jimmy Durante, more like WC Fields.), and my penchant for geeky electronics. (Owned a Commodore 64 and programmed in Basic on it in the mid 80's.)

As for that jerky knee of yours, I would go have a doctor look at it.
    Psyb3rTr011
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    monarrch wrote: »
    I know a bad experience sucks for you personally. I have had a few Foundry quests that I spent 30 minutes in only to have them glitch out right before I finish them for my daily. It sucks but if you look at the big picture, the game hasnt been as plagued with issues as most past launches that I have seen. The queue thing is out of hand especially for founders who paid, but I do think that was a foresight issue. They could have a another shard up in a week if they wanted...we'll see.
    I honestly think that at leats for a few weeks, they need at least one more server.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    tomuk4444 wrote: »

Eh it has happened with other mmos. Aion was awful for the first week of the NA release due to how bad the queue was because in addition to throttling populations in general they had an additional parameter to try and equal faction levels. Not defending them because this is a tad silly but this isn't unheard of like some are saying. By no means does that make it acceptable however.
  • Options
    draggonwolfsdraggonwolfs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    People like to complain about everything. People will ask for more servers and they will get more servers, but when poeple start leaving the game and the servers are ghost towns than people will complain that there is too many servers and they should be merged. I reckon instead of having more servers they should what GW2 or SWToR did and have different phases untill everthing calms down.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    People like to complain about everything. People will ask for more servers and they will get more servers, but when poeple start leaving the game and the servers are ghost towns than people will complain that there is too many servers and they should be merged. I reckon instead of having more servers they should what GW2 or SWToR did and have different phases untill everthing calms down.

They do but when you have over ten thousand people waiting in line to play your game there is a problem. As I said in another post, I'm not keen on companies going stir crazy adding servers but no matter how you want to cut it that is simply ridiculous.
  • Options
    askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    k0ngninja wrote: »

No, no every game is released like this. Like every game, they won't retain the initial surge they'll have in the first few weeks so they aren't going to go overboard on hardware that will be sitting idle in 2 months,not to mention end up with too many realms that will then have low populations causing even more customer loss.

While it does annoy the impatient people its them doing what they need to do to survive business-wise. Hardware is not cheap. The vendor maintenance plans are not cheap. Power/cooling/security is not cheap. IT staffing to maintain hardware is not cheap.
  • Options
    kotlikotli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 577
    edited May 2013

They already said that they are going to go to a single mega server in the end once they got everything worked out.