test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If I delete a character can I reclaim the character name to re-use ?

crow2000crow2000 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I try never to assume anything s o forgive me or what probably sounds like a daft question but.

If I delete a character can I reclaim the character name to re-use it ? I messed up one of my characters at creation and realised part way into the tutorial.

Also Does the PC gamer mount key get mailed to a character or does it need to be claimed from the founders vendor ? I dont want to delete this character only to realise the mount was mailed to him & is now gone.
Post edited by crow2000 on

Comments

• saborwsaborw Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yes, you can reclaim the name for a new character
  • saintxiisaintxii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 100
    edited April 2013
    there is no name restrictions due to the email link system. SO everyone can be Drizzit if they wanted to.
  • uberguberuberguber Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    As for the mount, after you complete the tutorial and talk with Sgt Knox, you will get a pop up telling you it is in the mail. You can get it at that point from the mail dude.
    Noli sinere te ab improbis opprimi
  • crow2000crow2000 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    uberguber wrote: »
    As for the mount, after you complete the tutorial and talk with Sgt Knox, you will get a pop up telling you it is in the mail. You can get it at that point from the mail dude.

Ok so just to clarify, If I delete my character before finishing the Tutorial I shouldnt lose my PC Gamer mount ?
    edited April 2013
    Can anyone just clarify this last point about the mount ?
  • panderuspanderus Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,007 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2013
    Claiming your sweet Founders items:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?166541-HOTN-Founders-questions

TLDR; you can get your mount on all your characters.
  • bladetwistbladetwist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Dunno about the item, but the name is released instantly. But the longer you take to remake the character, the more chances someone else will be able to grab that name.
  • cett2cett2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I dont like the fact that any number of people can all be my name, kind of odd for an MMO anyone else agree?
  • mokahmokah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    bladetwist wrote: »
    Dunno about the item, but the name is released instantly. But the longer you take to remake the character, the more chances someone else will be able to grab that name.

This is just simply not true. All Cryptic games use an account name system instead of character names to identify players. This means that your handle (@Mokah) is what identifies you to the game...NOT your character name.

You can name your character anything you want (within the rules) and so can everyone else. The only identifier that is unique is your game account name.
    Mokah - The Grumpy Strumpet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cett2cett2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    and why dont they change that? i mean, do you really have no problem with seeing for example 3 other ppl in chat with your name kinda weird i havent had a mmo do that
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    They do that so that people who come to play the game years down the road don't have to have twist their minds into a pretzel so they can come up with a character name that isn't already taken.
    edited May 2013
    panderus wrote: »
    Claiming your sweet Founders items:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?166541-HOTN-Founders-questions

TLDR; you can get your mount on all your characters.

Oh its not a founders item, just the mount from the PC Gamer magazine code.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Same rule applies. :)
  • tonyacttonyact Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hmm - so we can all call ourselves Bob - kinda interesting.
  • kamikazekenjikamikazekenji Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mokah wrote: »
    This is just simply not true. All Cryptic games use an account name system instead of character names to identify players. This means that your handle (@Mokah) is what identifies you to the game...NOT your character name.

You can name your character anything you want (within the rules) and so can everyone else. The only identifier that is unique is your game account name.
    Wow! That's actually really cool! One of the things I hate most in an online game is wanting an awesome name for your character and seeing that it's already been taken. (The other thing is unnecessarily short character limits. I mean, this is the TWENTY-FIRST century here. What's a few extra bytes to you when you can have awesome and more diversified (and longer) names? I can't count the number of "modern" MMOs that have a twelve character limit for names. Blargh!)

So I absolutely had no need to rush into character creation and "claim" a couple of my favorite names? Other games should really start doing this too... I remember a game a long while back (Phantasy Star Online) that had names tied to Hunter IDs.
  • direcrowdirecrow Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1. Name is available instantly, I've done it a few times.
    2. The founders package that includes your mount, is mailed to every character as soon as you complete the tutorial by talking to Knoxx. So you can delete a character all you want. Each new character you make is mailed the package.
    Mindflayer Shard - @direcrow
    The Dire Crow - Tiefling TR
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
  • hercooles130uscghercooles130uscg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cett2 wrote: »
    and why dont they change that? i mean, do you really have no problem with seeing for example 3 other ppl in chat with your name kinda weird i havent had a mmo do that

It more about their cross-game functionality. Everything is based around your @name, so that friends can always find each other in any Cryptic game as long as they know this. You can also whisper people cross game by using this.

And as for the many people with the same name, technically if you name your character Bob, and your @name is @thebuilder, then your characters name AS THE GAME SEES IT, is bob@thebuilder, where another bob might be bob@saget.

I like it, as since when were names always unique? I am the only James in the entire world!!!! no.

It also prevents all completely dump people that have ZERO originality from needing to put a ton of XXXxx in front or behind their name because they refuse to think of an original name that is not taken. So you might see a dozen Drizzt in game, but at least you won't see XxDrizztxX, Drlzzt, Driizzt, and all the rest, which is far more breaking in terms of atmosphere.

If you are really worried about having a name others have, you can put spaces and make a first and last name as your character name.
    bdayaffair_zps6675e60e.png
    edited May 2013
    So PC Gamer mounts can be claimed on multiple characters ? I thought it was just for a single character ?
  • hero0xxhero0xx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6
    edited May 2013
    the name system in this game is ****