Install Arc
Options

Good build for Control Wizard?

13»

Comments

• Options
    lexanthropylexanthropy Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Question: If I were to build a crit. based CW, optimizing equips, race, stats, etc. for critical strike, then how high would my crit. chance be at level 60?
  • Options
    poylpoyl Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Answer: depends on your drops
  • Options
    edurna1edurna1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've been using a similar build but with the following abilities:

(Tab) Ray of Enfeeblement
    Shard of the Endless Avalanche
    Shield
    Steal Time

Magic Missiles
    Ray of Frost / Storm Pillar

Ice Knife
    Arcane Singularity

I have been farming Epic Lair of the Pirate King with this setup and LOVE it. With the large packs of mobs, I can usually Arcane Singularity every ~20 seconds and completely control the mobs. I generally do:

Arcane Singularity ->
    Shield (Do this while the mobs are being sucked in. You knock them away and they will get grouped back up from Sing) ->
    Steal Time ->
    Shard of the Endless Avanlanche

This combined with weaving in Enfeeblements on high HP mobs / Boss, lets me *usually* have another Singularity up, so its rinse and repeat. For single target, I just spam MM (within 20 yards if possible) and Enfeeble on cooldown.
  • Options
    lexanthropylexanthropy Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    poyl wrote: »
    Answer: depends on your drops

Yeah, what I meant was, let's say you've got end-game(as of now) grade equipment at level 60, all your feats are focused on critical strikes, as is your powers, racial bonuses, class features, etc, could your critical chance possibly exceed 50%? Right now, I'm level 33 and my crit. chance is around 25%, so I was wondering if by level 60 CW's crit. chance would be higher than 50% provided you've got the right setup?
  • Options
    aphoraphor Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Does anyone know how the bonus for prestidigitation works? Is it 3% for your ability scores ie. INT, WIS? Or does it apply to all stats?
    Also any thoughts on this? Worth picking up or points better spent elsewhere?
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aphor wrote: »
    Does anyone know how the bonus for prestidigitation works? Is it 3% for your ability scores ie. INT, WIS? Or does it apply to all stats?
    Also any thoughts on this? Worth picking up or points better spent elsewhere?
    At 3 points, it's +3% to Power, Crit, Recovery etc. and it stacks with multiple CWs on a team.

If you want to be credit to team, pick it. If you only want to solo and never enter a team, then it's less useful (it still buffs you, so not even then will it be entirely useless).
  • Options
    shark666777shark666777 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    PvE only your AoE powers
  • Options
    gomok72gomok72 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I really don't understand why everyone wants to mimic a World of Warcraft mage, this class is not a striker class it's more of a dot and kill your enemy while toying with him class. I know a lot of you never probably played DnD paper but man, you guys are missing the whole point of what was set in stone for these characters (everyone wants to do big numbers and forego the control abilities).

I hope like hell they get the other striker classes out like Rangers and Scourge Warlocks so people can actually see what a Raned striker is suppose to be and do in the DnD world (I repeat CWs are not a dps clas).

I hope they tweak and actually lower the damage that CWs do, once they fix defense checks for everyone, hopefully things will shape up.
    I may not be considered by most the BEST PVP Warlock on the server but, I am the most HATED amongst them.

-Kymos
  • Options
    mathbathmathbath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    CWs are probably considered a controller/striker, such as guardian fighters are defender/controller, clerics are leader/controller (supposedly), and GWFs is defender/striker (again, supposedly). The only straight up and down striker type class is the TR, and they have some pretty solid dazes. That said, everyone can do damage, and as I understand it, the Conqueror line for the GF is quite popular (extra power based on block meter shenanigans), at least on my shard I've seen it pretty often. The amount of aoe damage a CW can put out is pretty excellent and two out of their three paragon feat paths are damage based (one for buffing your damage and reducing target defenses, the other for crit). Their control comes with their power selection. Lowering the damage on such a squishy marshmallow class is silly unless there's a pay off somewhere else.

Post script; please don't call for the nerf bat, it begins the roller coaster of class destruction and rebuilding and usually destroys any semblance of balance. Bring other classes up to the op class. No one wants their class nerfed. I've even seen people calling for GF nerfs!
  • Options
    chulhanchulhan Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gomok72 wrote: »
    I really don't understand why everyone wants to mimic a World of Warcraft mage, this class is not a striker class it's more of a dot and kill your enemy while toying with him class. I know a lot of you never probably played DnD paper but man, you guys are missing the whole point of what was set in stone for these characters (everyone wants to do big numbers and forego the control abilities).

I hope like hell they get the other striker classes out like Rangers and Scourge Warlocks so people can actually see what a Raned striker is suppose to be and do in the DnD world (I repeat CWs are not a dps clas).

I hope they tweak and actually lower the damage that CWs do, once they fix defense checks for everyone, hopefully things will shape up.

It's not a pure dps mage class but still does way more dps than any class except rogue while being able to control mobs. Since pretty much rogues are the only pure dps class and they're most efficient with single target it's actually quite important that CW's pump lots of aoe dps right now. GWF and GF's are pretty much useless, and that's really the reason... when there are pure ranged dmg classes maybe we can focus more on utility but honestly I don't think we need to put in anymore than what we're one for several reasons

- Our 'tab' mastery is the most versatile control available in the game, in that we can reslot it with any encounter for maximum control or maximum dps; basically switching out your spells to tailor to the encounter is a versatility that we can fully utilize to maximize both dps AND utility per fight. Need to cheese the boss? tab Ray of Enfeeblement, need more AOE? Ice strike is good, etc.

- Part of controlling is to just simply make sure the mobs die; like I said earlier, since we're pretty much the only effective aoe dps class, making sure you have the dps to kill mobs you control is really important in 5 man - rogues can then focus on pretty much zerging the boss.

- Other than singularity, shield, and steal time, every other control skill is pretty much not useful in a boss fight. You can't vader grip bosses, and if mobs are rushing you a well placed shield and steal time is more useful than ccing a single mob, plus more damage to boot. Particularly in T2 where there are easily 30+ adds, it's absolutely important to focus on AOE dmg.

My preferred standard build is as follows
    Tab- Chill Strike
    1. Sudden Storm
    2. Shield
    3. Steal Time
    At Will - Magic Missile, Storm Pillar
    Passives - Storm Spell, Eye of the Storm

Dailies - Singularity, Ice Knife

Magic Missile is by far the best at will, you shouldn't really use any other. The reason why I have storm pillar is that I have the passive feat which will buff all of my dmg when I hit more than 2 enemies by 10%. Basically when I AOE (which is nearly all of the time), I just do an instant storm pillar onto the mobs and buff all of my aoe dmg. (A very nice tip from http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?196742-Lvl60-8-5k-Gearscore-CW-s-views-on-best-DPS-build-for-Dungeons) This combo of at-wills pretty much is the best way to maximize damage atm, because it can instantly build more dps on all of your skills, without taking away time to use magic missiles in between your encounter CD's.

Shield and Singularity combine so well that when there are groups of 20 mobs, you can cast a singularity, shield them away while they are gathering, and (if you have specced action point regains), you can pretty much cast singularity instantly again. If not, a Steal Time + Chill strike, Sudden Storm combo will get you very close. This works mainly because of how action points are registered, and how crits are registered. As a Crit mage, I think speccing into Critical Power is absolutely important. When you AOE an enemy, crits can independently generate on every mob hit, and each of these seem to proc the feat. Shield and Singularity are skills that can infinitely target AOE mobs (steal time maxes at 15 I believe, and most other skills have a aoe cap), which means that action points can be generated off of EVERY single target you hit. With a shield singularity combo, you can then independently crit, and if your crit chance is close to 50% buffed, the action point gain is substantial and extremely useful.

Basically, Singularity is the most overpowered control spell we have, and I picked skills that takes advantage of all of the aoe dmg I can do during a singularity, but more importantly, regenerates singularities as fast as possible. This has been extremely effective and I found the best way to control mass mob adds in any T2 dungeon, and does a great amount of damage to boot. Best of both worlds.

Icy knife is useful if you have to single target with ray of enfeeblement and other skills, so as said above, change your skills constantly to match the fights you will be in - with an extra skill choice, this is really the best part about control wizards hands down, imo.
  • Options
    kbisthemankbistheman Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have been going by the Thaumaturge build my entire time playing NW and it has been very helpful. I am just wonder about what armor sets are the best. I have seen most people just doing 2 pieces of 2 seperate sets for the +400/450 bonus in power/crit/recovery, but I want to know what the best Orb is as well as the two best armor sets for it.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    dungobindodungobindo Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi chulhan

I have one question. What do you use heroic and paragon feat descriptions?

• Options
    alsharysalsharys Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi all,

I have many questions in order to respec my Wizard into an Oppressor.
    Since most skills/feats descriptions are unclear, I need a little bit of explanation.

First what is a control spell ? Is there a list somewhere ?

Class features :
    -Arcane Mastery also increases the damage of your Cold based attacks by 34% of the buff value. So with 3 points in that one i get 100% of the 15% damage bonus on chill skill as arcane spells normally do ?
    -Evocation : does it work with tabbed chilling strike ?
    -Storm spell : Shock your target 10% of the time on all attacks. What is Shock ? Stun ? Damage ? Both ?
    -Stormfury : as the storm spell, I don't know what this bolt is and what it really does.

Feats :
    -Controlling Action : Do I get X% of the total action point bar by casting a control spell ? If yes well that's awesome.
    -Prestidigitation : This is the most mysterious feat for me. What are the 1/2/3 % boost ? Since many players use it,
    it might be good. But i really don't understand what the percentage refers to.

Thanks to all that can help me !
  • Options
    rytram99rytram99 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ledarr wrote: »
    Only at level 25, and pretty much ignored the Shield spell, but I have it now, I need to give it a try,

SERIOUSLY?! ud think as a wiz you'd want some protection, not only that but you can force push everything away from you in a radius with awesome knockback and massive damage, it owns mobs of lesser enemies, spiders, skeletons, etc, you know creatures with one bar of health not by that i mean [ ] not [ | | | | | ]
  • Options
    chidy1776chidy1776 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    gomok72 wrote: »

I agree with you jn the sense that the crowd controll/oppresor aspect is underappreciated but CW can be and is a striker. I find it funny the mindset of most mmo gamers today, when they see a class liie this they think wow style damage and go for all out damage, with little or utility. Now dont get me wrong the CW can go heavily into damage and forsake some of its utility (btw i play an Eladrin warlock with a mix of 3.5 and 4e rule set with my table top group). I find it funny though that the other day someone was trying to argue with me that oppresor is bad and useless and thaumags is the best. When i said best at what he didnt understand what i meajt, and didnt understand when i pointed out how oppresor can synergize its cc abilities with feats to get damage boosts. It just amazes me how solo minded mmorpg players have become in the sense that theyre all looked at from a "wow pov".

Also for those of you that also dont understand why i vouch for opressor builds think of this. When you hear complaints about t2 dungeons its ussualy that ppl cant bsat the last boss because of all the adds. This is where a cc focused cw really shines, every add he ccs hes buffing his damage and at the same time taking damage off the group by ccing an add and or debuffing the damage it does, taking damage off the tank and the rest of the group.

Now that my little rant is over im hoping the new paragon paths will be opened up soon so i can turn my cw into a warlock. It seems odd to me that theyd build whole new claases for something they can subclass through the paragon tree. Other great paragons would be a paladin for clerics, and a ranger for rogues.
    Paul 60 guardian fighter on mindflayer.

Rising Star, fun friendly, community focused guild on mindflayer. We strive to help each other and enjoy the game together. Talk to me for info, or feel free to check and join our community at risingstarneverwinter.enjin.com
This discussion has been closed.