test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cleric Questions//Build types (Important question)

jgfujgfu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 19 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
Welcome

Like title says asking about cleric and different builds. Below is a list of questions and also request for builds for cleric. I'm starting to notice the mobs and dungeons getting harder so I would love to get some ideas to remake my character. Look below for more information, Oh and thanks :D
Important question
((These well change as people ask them or pm me with questions to add))

-Brand of the Sun-
Is it nerf or just every one hate it. I see no builds with it and Its even left out in some guides I seen like on wiki. I like to ask whats so wrong with this skill and if added up right (Feats etc) would it pay off to use it? has any one ever used it or made a build with it would love to hear from you.

-Prophecy of Doom-

Same as before is this skill nerf and no one is telling or just that bad? I like to know if any one tried to use it with the Paragon Feats and atucally tried to use it. I would think with enoughs speed recharge and this skill would be pretty nasty. Hope to hear from some of you

Builds

=Links=
T_T -none- T_T

Build at the moment:
Running a Wisdom/Str/Chr build. Going for Recovery with Power.

Concerns- I'm starting to notice in higher levels 35+ its getting harder to be a effective healer. I'm suriving horribly and the adds are really killing me. I can say some times the party but still there has to be something I can do on my own to make it little easyer and better. I like a build where i'll able to take care of those nasty adds but also do my job. I'm a healer at heart so no full dps builds.

So Dose any one have any builds like to share? or links to some. If wish can pm me be very welcome. Just trying to be a good healer ;3
Post edited by jgfu on

Comments

• agrias34agrias34 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 71
    edited April 2013
    Here's my build.

I press P, see what I feel like using and think it will work nicely, and I drag it to my skillbar.

Seriously people, stop looking up guides and other things like "Easiest build to max level in 1 day hurrhurr".

Play the game for yourself and learn the class, don't rely on what some guide tells you can be the best thing to do because I'm sure they haven't thought of everything and definitely haven't tried out every paragon tree to confirm what really is the best.
  • unexistantunexistant Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    agrias34 wrote: »
    Here's my build.

I press P, see what I feel like using and think it will work nicely, and I drag it to my skillbar.

Seriously people, stop looking up guides and other things like "Easiest build to max level in 1 day hurrhurr".

Play the game for yourself and learn the class, don't rely on what some guide tells you can be the best thing to do because I'm sure they haven't thought of everything and definitely haven't tried out every paragon tree to confirm what really is the best.

I hate this post. Not because you're against builds and guides, but because you're being condescending about it. Some people like to compare their own thoughts and builds to others, so they can see whats truly effective. Your post is basically saying "I don't like to play that way, so neither should you." Please be respectful of others.
  • chazzakchazzak Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    unexistant wrote: »
    I hate this post. Not because you're against builds and guides, but because you're being condescending about it. Some people like to compare their own thoughts and builds to others, so they can see whats truly effective. Your post is basically saying "I don't like to play that way, so neither should you." Please be respectful of others.

Here here!

EDIT: Well I had this nice lengthy comment about how I had given up on healing and gone DPS, and suggested some points in that course, but then re-read your post and saw the 'no DPS builds' comment.

Bearing that in mind, the only help I can offer is buckle down and get ready for a long, painful road ahead.
  • jgfujgfu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Ok first off was asking questions on skills I don't want to have to re-spec my character to just see if they work. The build ideas are so I can compare. I normally look at many and search forums and pick stuff out and make my own. So like unexistant said if you don't like it I don't really care. I was respectful so should be you if you can't then just don't post and look on forums. Because i'm just guessing there is going to be a lot of people who are asking.

So again, I like to hear from people who have already experiences using those skills listed and as well any build ideas so I can COMPARE with my own ideas and make a build. Sorry for trying to be a good healer, but guess that doesn't matter. We all know these so called 'I hate these guides and posts' are the ones who yell at clerics for learning the ropes. Why not help them learn beside flaming them dps/tanks.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013

Considering that it costs $6 to respec a character, it is understandable that people look for efficient builds.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • jgfujgfu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    Considering that it costs $6 to respec a character, it is understandable that people look for efficient builds.

Thank you inivo for the number xD As I said don't want to be spending almost 12$ to figure out these skills are useful or not. Lucky me there are some helpful people so figured out a few things about them. Still would like to hear from you all who want to be useful.
  • unspecifiederrorunspecifiederror Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    imivo wrote: »

This is exactly right. It's why I'm trying to get out cleric videos before head start is over and why I leveled putting points all over to test things and will be using my one free respec on video and remake my build as I would if I was leveling 1-60.

@OP

Brand of the Sun is just bad for most things. The actual single target DPS of BotS is worse than Sacred Flame spam. There is a feat to make it a debuff, 5% less damage and 5% less crit chance I believe, but that leads to other issues. Clerics really have 2 choices to make with At-Will powers:

1) Sacred Flame or ... The Lance (name?). Lance does more raw damage but Sacred Flame has the nice Temp hitpoints and it 'feels' different in the way it casts. I personally prefer Sacred Flame at all times. These are your "Spam abilities"

2) Astral Seal or Brand of the Sun. These are your "set it and forget it" at-wills. You should never cast either of these on the same mob twice will the debuff is still up. Which is why you shouldn't ever take both together. On a single target, like a boss, you end up with nothing worth casting. Astral Seal is obviously the healer option but Brand of the Sun is some good DPS and can be specced for a solid debuff. Personally I would never take Brand of the Sun unless you are the second cleric.

You might think casting Astral Seal + Brand of the Sun on every enemy with Repurpose Soul and high crit would be awesome, and it is in theory. It practice it falls apart because of cast times and movement requirements during difficult encounters. In groups things die so fast BotS will likely never tick fully which means your DPS will have been higher with Sacred Flame and it's better to kill things now rather than in 10-20 seconds.

As for Prophecy of Doom, it's main draw back is simply that it's hard to use effectively and with only enough room for 3 encounters it just doesn't earn a spot. My current build is actually heavily focused on Action Point gain and Hallowed Ground (need more recovery!) and if I could take a 4th encounter it would be Prophecy of Doom. As it stands though I need Astral Shield because it's awesome. Sun Burst because it builds divinity like crazy and has a knockback to save me when I need it (or throw things in pits for fun and profit). Finally there's Divine Glow which I take because it's a really nice debuff (with a buff in divinity), solid dps and a divinity builder with a low-ish CD (this one is changeable somewhat).

Outside of using well a placed Prophecy of Doom on CD to build Action points I don't think it's worth it though. If I was running a DPS build with the Hammer and Flame Strike dailies I would have PoD on my bar for sure. Unfortunately I'm a tanky-healer/buffer so it just doesn't have a place for me. It's just a very niche skill but I'm sure you could make a build around AP gain using it if you could learn to use it effectively but there would be a high learning curve on it I'm sure.
  • zingarbagezingarbage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    One thing to note about Lance vs. Sacred flame is that sacred flame builds divinity a lot faster. I'm not sure why, but it will build a bar of divinity in around 6 seconds while lance takes about 10 seconds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • paragon33paragon33 Member Posts: 134 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    edit for derp
    edited April 2013
    Here's my build.

Maybe they don't want to pay for a respec for 1 if they wont NEED to...? And can still put that money to use for the game but for other things they could use.
    All your saying is, bla, bla, bla, I hate min max's and elites... When were just a room of regular guys.
    He is clearly an experience player and requested peoples input because of issues being run into; NOT how to find a cookie cutter to get to lvl cap faster...
  • dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    zingarbage wrote: »
    One thing to note about Lance vs. Sacred flame is that sacred flame builds divinity a lot faster. I'm not sure why, but it will build a bar of divinity in around 6 seconds while lance takes about 10 seconds.

this is because sacred flame attacks faster

lance does 10% more damage than sacred flame. that's it. rank 2 lance has the same mouseover damage as rank 3 sacred flame. however sacred flame attacks quite a bit faster.
    edited April 2013
    Your biggest competition is with Tanking being a pain in the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> for most the avg players. Their hate skill (mark) brakes on mobs if they are hit while not blocking. A chaotic fight with adds going nuts means thats highly likely. And spamming block to keep it up will just run you out of energy to block.
    And well Clerics pull like a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> especially if party is all over the place or hes got to save his own <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
    Also their AE (aoe) taunt will also remove their mark on mob so its an uphill battle for them period.
    Tbh the more u try to take a mob unless u have no choice means moar~ stealing hate.
    I hear some clerics are going more defensive being sort of off tanks and playing Near the tank at all times. The closer you stay to them the easier for them to pick up. Still comes down to how well your group is doing all together; not making the odds stack even higher against the tank. Being forced to chase mobs down (which will happen anyway; just like you will steal aggro anyway) only means more lost time for him to recover control.
    Sry I know that doesn't really help. Its obvious some tiny tweaks are made. I like the challenge but obviously needs lil boost or even a reduction for clerics hate building. Even with all points into hate reduction they still will steal aggro if forced to spam.

Sadly the fact that even with the CLEAR marking with 1-2 second giant rings on the ground we still run into tons of ppl (Dps) that just sit there taking the dmg o.0 also doesn't help tank or healer.
  • taemekegtaemekeg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 298 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    jgfu wrote: »

-Prophecy of Doom-

Same as before is this skill nerf and no one is telling or just that bad? I like to know if any one tried to use it with the Paragon Feats and atucally tried to use it. I would think with enoughs speed recharge and this skill would be pretty nasty. Hope to hear from some of you

I use this skill in PvP and on boss fights in Dungeons.

It's benefits far outweigh almost anything else during these times, for anything else like grinding quests or aoeing, I switch it out.
  • yktyyyktyy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here's my build.

The problem is Cryptic gave us many feats that are confusing.

In other D&D games, feats are pretty self explanatory. In NW it's all +0.4% there and -1.9%/sec there.
    That's not a feat, that's a tiny adjustment to your character.

If Cryptic wanted us to choose what we like, they wouldn't have put percentages everywhere.
    They give me feat points but I have no idea what to take between +0.2% Recovery and +1% Healing. It's not like it will matter much.

An obvious example is the Movement stat: you can have a few hundred points in Movement from equipment and enchantments, but all it does is +1-2% movement speed. That doesn't change anything in combat where you can't have your mount.

There is very little customization, Feats are practically useless.

And Powers ... well you can invest points to rank 2 and rank 3 to get +10% and another +10% to something like "Divine Fortune - your non-damaging powers also build Divine Power." but you don't know what the base value is.
  • preezuspreezus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    @unspecifiederror

Do you mind if i add you as a friend in game when I have questions about leveling/skills etc?

I saw your videos and they were very informative...yet I am somewhat of a dolt when it comes to these kinds of things.
  • unspecifiederrorunspecifiederror Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    preezus wrote: »
    @unspecifiederror

Do you mind if i add you as a friend in game when I have questions about leveling/skills etc?

I saw your videos and they were very informative...yet I am somewhat of a dolt when it comes to these kinds of things.

Go right ahead. I don't mind answering questions in game, though if I'm running a dungeon or something I may not respond right away. :)

Unspecified@unspecifiederror
    I'm on Beholder I'm pretty sure, but I can't check right now.
  • preezuspreezus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Go right ahead. I don't mind answering questions in game, though if I'm running a dungeon or something I may not respond right away. :)

Unspecified@unspecifiederror
    I'm on Beholder I'm pretty sure, but I can't check right now.

RuhRoh...i'm on dragon...does that mean I can't send you messages at least? Or can I still add you if you are on a different server?
  • deahamletdeahamlet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Most of the builds were not DPS builds, you're asking about DPS abilities. That's why you have not seen them.

Brand of the sun: I loved this thing. Higher areas however mob me with mini ads that eat far too much out of my health so having Astral Seal as backup is just too good. I still maxed out Brand of the Sun and intend to keep it maxed.

Prophecy of Doom: Leveling up until 50ish, I focused more on outright healing or DPS abilities. I started experimenting with debuffs later on and Glow is just so awesome. I'm going to be trying out Prophecy instead of glow soloing areas and foundry quests. The thing is, it has to be one or the other... I can't give up shield, and I can't give up Daunting Light. It was hard enough replacing Sunburst with Glow, but it's awesome.

I run a crit/recovery DPS/healing spec, but as I said... most posts you've seen are people very focused on healing, almost to the exclusion of all else. They wouldn't bother with either of these.