test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Confused about classes

maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
edited July 2014 in PvE Discussion
I'm no 4'th ed expert and I didn't get to play Neverwinter yet but it seems to me that the "classes" are not really classes but pre-set specs of classes, is that right?

I mean from the 4'th ed handbook, Great Weapon Fighter and Guardian Fighter are suggested specializations for the Fighter class, not separate classes.

Does that mean that you have no way to make your own spec in Neverwinter?
Neverwinter Online Open Beta is an ongoing success
Post edited by maho4200 on

Comments

• Options
    chazzakchazzak Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Pretty much, yeah. I mean you can play around with feats / abilities to get a few tweaks and changes but overall you're gonna be the same as every other X class.

That's a lot of people's biggest beef...game doesn't really seem like DnD, where choices and customization are the biggest draws. In many ways, this game offers less DnD feel than DDO, but it gives what it has faster and with less headache.
  • Options
    toadoflickingtoadoflicking Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You get power points and feat points. At 30, you'll be able to choose a Paragon path (though, they admittedly have only one per class right now). So, you can make your own spec all you want to within those boundaries.

But, no. You can't just make a "Fighter" and do whatever you want with it. That's not how the game is set up.
  • Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    maho4200 wrote: »
    I'm no 4'th ed expert and I didn't get to play Neverwinter yet but it seems to me that the "classes" are not really classes but pre-set specs of classes, is that right?

I mean from the 4'th ed handbook, Great Weapon Fighter and Guardian Fighter are suggested specializations for the Fighter class, not separate classes.

Does that mean that you have no way to make your own spec in Neverwinter?

Well, devs in this game just simplified the process to make the game more easy to understand for newbies. 4th ed wasn't so much about sheet customization as all Great Weapon Fighters in PnP work the same and you just "customize" your RP aspects. The thing about 4th ed is that it has a lot of class paths within the same class: you have GF, GWF, BF and then Paragon Paths, Epic Destinies... That way it's very unlikely that two GF will end up being the same - but of course, these options are only noticeable later in the game, and Neverwinter is still in Beta. I'm confident that in the future they will give more Paragon options, which is the way to go imo regarding sheet customization.
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    chazzak wrote: »
    That's a lot of people's biggest beef...game doesn't really seem like DnD, where choices and customization are the biggest draws. In many ways, this game offers less DnD feel than DDO, but it gives what it has faster and with less headache.

This is untrue, specially if you talk about 3.5 where you have the cookie-cutter builds, being the rest absolute fluff. So you end up picking the same options if you don't want to be useless. Who doesn't play a Paladin with Divine Power and Divine Shield as feats? Who doesn't play a Wizard without Maximize Spell as a Metamagic feat? And so on.

In 4th edition at least, you can chose stuff without risking being completely useless as the class system is more balanced.
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • Options
    chazzakchazzak Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    steppenkat wrote: »
    This is untrue, specially if you talk about 3.5 where you have the cookie-cutter builds, being the rest absolute fluff. So you end up picking the same options if you don't want to be useless. Who doesn't play a Paladin with Divine Power and Divine Shield as feats? Who doesn't play a Wizard without Maximize Spell as a Metamagic feat? And so on.

In 4th edition at least, you can chose stuff without risking being completely useless as the class system is more balanced.

Well, not to be funny, but in 100% complete honesty I didn't. I chose what I wanted purely because I wanted it. However, that could be the same as the Paragon system Neverwinter is getting which, I admit, I have no experience with outside of simply reading the power tab in-game. I had 3 Favored souls in that game, all with different builds and purposes that vastly changed their gameplay. Of course, multi-classing adds a lot possibility-wise, but enough people have *****ed about that point so I don't feel the need to embelish.

Suffice to say, I stick with what I said. This game is akin to the old Arcade Dungeons and Dragons games where you chose Fighter, Cleric, Thief, or Wizard.

DDO is akin to NWN or Baldur's Gate.

BUT, back to this game, I'm personally leveling my Cleric up to be pure DPS, intentions-be-damned. They will eventually expand my options and give me better tools for it, or introduce a new Cleric class that does what I want better.
  • Options
    maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    It's as I feared then :(

I just don't get that Cryptic was allowed to do that, in the past WotC have been crazy strict about bending ANYTHING, which was one of the reasons Bioware dropped doing D&D games.
    steppenkat wrote: »
    Everyone except you it seems ;)

Not everyone is a min/maxing power-player.
    chazzak wrote: »
    BUT, back to this game, I'm personally leveling my Cleric up to be pure DPS, intentions-be-damned. They will eventually expand my options and give me better tools for it, or introduce a new Cleric class that does what I want better.
    Same, I enjoy playing a Cleric but I don't want to be a healer.

And I'm sure the "Battle Cleric" will be introduced as well, BUT I'd rather pick my own path.
  • Options
    danny11068danny11068 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    double post failing, sorry
  • Options
    danny11068danny11068 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I just don't get that Cryptic was allowed to do that, in the past WotC have been crazy strict about bending ANYTHING, which was one of the reasons Bioware dropped doing D&D games.

Allowed to do what?

Bend what exactly?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Just checking if my status is updated (bought pack).
    danny11068 wrote: »
    Allowed to do what?

Bend what exactly?
    Mess with mechanics and rules.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Just checking if my status is updated (bought pack).
    It takes a little bit to take effect, and then you have to go into your "User CP" at the top of this page, and all forum pages, and set your group to be guardian or hotn. That's how it was when I bought my HOTN, could've changed though
  • Options
    kemikemoryakemikemorya Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The (currently) limited classes makes it hard for me to play my favourite two characters: a halfling fighter/ divine champion, and a dwarven inventor, a rogue focused on Str, battleaxe and traps.
  • Options
    monyatmonyat Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I agree, its takes out the headache, the customization comes from the fact you can explore paths for a touch of light duel-classing.

Also, having fewer buttons to attach moves to, rather than piles and piles of bars like Wow of SWTOR means you have to think harder about what moves to take with you. The simplicity is the fighting IS the custom element. I thinks it works :)
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Yes....must do Kelemvor's bidding...must send the dead to the Nine Hells...
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
This discussion has been closed.