test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

PvP - Any way for me to stay alive as a Wizard if a Rogue comes after me?

lexthegreatlexthegreat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2013 in PvE Discussion
Any tips from those that played as a CF on how to handle a TR in PvP?

Any time one closes distance, I am as good as dead. I can at least escape from the other melee classes if they get close, but the TR sticks to me like glue and then I die. It doesn't take long either, as the burst is incredibly potent.

I am not calling for a nerf to any class whatsoever, I just want to know some tips to at least even the odds a bit, if not stack them in my favor :D

I see fighters and clerics take them out, so it's not like they are immortal, but I have the toughest time going against a Rogue.

Thanks.
Post edited by lexthegreat on

Comments

• Options
    vortexasvortexas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 52
    edited April 2013
    Cast spells at him until he's dead.
  • Options
    werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    well yea it's like a game of rock, paper, scissors but instead its fighter, wizard, rogue
    basically you are a controller so try to lay down whatever CC you can on him and pray.
    21.jpg
  • Options
    agrias34agrias34 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 71
    edited April 2013
    Make sure you are getting a lot of cooldown reduction for Control Wizards either through main stats or secondary stats, and there is even a talent for 10% cooldown as well if I remember correctly.

What I used back in beta for PvP was Repel, Chill Strike, the other CC that lifts them in the air (and as my tab skill cuz the CC lasts longer up to 4-5 seconds) and ray of enfeeblement for some damage. Basically, with enough cooldown reduction, you can repel them away, lift them in the air for 3-5 seconds, chill strike when they land cuz it stuns for 1-2 seconds, and use your shift dodge skill until they all come off cooldown which will be very soon.
  • Options
    zingarbagezingarbage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    99% of rogues are going to port to you which puts them behind you and applies a slow, they are then going to try and daze you. Look for them jumping in the air animation. You are going to want to avoid this. So when you see them port, blink away. You can actually walk away if you start right away after the port. However, some will blow their stealth to get off and you will need to blink.

If they did stealth, well, you just controlled three of their primary abilities and the advantage is now yours. Keep your slow applied and rotate other CC as needed and remember to disrupt the knife throw they do at you. You don't want all 12 knives hitting you, so out range or blink to break up the chain.

Smart rogues will have a different approach, but just focusing on countering the 99% that are dumber than cats and dogs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Force Choke -> have teammates pummel his body while he's in the air -> Laugh.
    Repeat.
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • Options
    lexthegreatlexthegreat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Thanks all, and especially Zin for the excellent replies.

So in PvP Arcane = bad, Ice = good?
  • Options
    projxprojx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    More like Arcane for nuking Frost for when you're pressured or want to add cc.
    Gave in to that momentary sadistic twitch...
    hk47banner.jpg
  • Options
    zrzzzrzz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    only speaking for bwe4 - never had any probs with rogues, in fact they were freekills you just have to dodge the silence and cc them to death super easy at least in low levels (10-19 and 20-29 brackets)
  • Options
    chomagchomag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    You have a stun, a "force choke", a knock back, blinks. How exactly do you fall to melee ?!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    chomag wrote: »
    You have a stun, a "force choke", a knock back, blinks. How exactly do you fall to melee ?!

That was the same question I was asking myself. I am a Control Wizard, how the heck is a Rogue even getting close.

So after reading Zing's excellent post (and failing some more), I rolled one.

Now I know exactly how it happens and what to look for.

Rogues have NO problem closing distance.
    Deft Strike and they are now behind you stabbing you in the kidneys. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite powers.
    This is followed by Dazing Strike, at which point unless the target dodges, they are literally fudged.
    If I can get my Dazing Strike off, it's all over. They are now at my mercy and I have a wide range of very fun abilities with which to finish them.
    If someone does escape (now with low HP), Cloud of Steel will finish them off as I laugh maniacally and stealth to go find my next victim.

The one thing I don't understand is why do so many rogues try to take out their opponents when it's 2 vs 1? We excel at single target damage and have all the tools to win a "fair" fight. So why on earth do I see rogues rushing into the middle of the pack instead of picking out and killing the lonely CW and DC standing in the back casting?

Anyway thanks for the tips all. Having played one, I can now see how they work and what to look for. Zing, thank you again for a very,very insightful post.
  • Options
    punkngheadpunknghead Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    lifestealt lol