test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

encounter questions

demiurgerealmdemiurgerealm Member Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
edited April 2013 in The Foundry
It will be a week and a bit until I get my hands on the toolset and there are a lot of things I'd like to know, but I will confine myself to one topic right now.

Encounters. I understand that these are pre-made items that are placed on the map, but I don't know much else.

I need some bandit rabble for my quest. I look in the Monster Manual posted here and see three types of human encounters: Nashers, Order of the Dragon, and Order of the Blue Flame. I am going to make a WAG here and assume that the Nashers are closest to what I want. What can I do with them? I am pretty sure I can rename them and change their look, but can I specify level (as I know the encounter does not scale to level)? Is there a selection of different enemies to choose from within the encounter? Are they all class based or are they just hit points with a club? Can I specify number appearing?

If anyone can enlighten me, I'd appreciate it.

thanks.
-Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Realm of the Demiurge Foundry Works

Neverwinter isn't D&D, it is a MMO based on a game that uses D&D terms but isn't really D&D either. NW is fun (for that matter so is 4E), but it isn't D&D, and once you wrap your expectations around that you will be able to enjoy the game for what it offers and not worry about what it does not.

Comments

• Options
    apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Encounters are set up similar to how they are listed in the 4e monster Manuel, initially you will have categories to define your search when looking for encounters to place you can select the difficulty this has 3 settings easy, standard,and Hard the other window lets you select what creature type weather it be Orc, or order of the blue flame.

Every group is comprised of individual actors so for example a Hard Nasher encounter would consist of 2 enforcers or a Hexer and 2 soldiers. A hard Undead could be 1 battle white or 2 hulks. while an easy encounter could be 2 regular soldiers or with smaller creatures like kobolds and goblins they could have 5 actors in an easy encounter and so on and so forth.

here is a link to the 4e Monster Manuel so you can see the different encounter make ups they have
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
  • Options
    chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Encounters do scale with the player level.

The encounters come in various sizes of groups, not sure if any of the human encounters have a single mob encounter or not.

You can, however, change the look of any encounter. Lets say you place a group of spiders, you can change each spider to look like a human if you want and customize outfits as well (armors and such). You have almost as much creativity with changing the mobs looks as the player character creator.

You can change the name of each mob as well as the group they are associated with, so for what you are asking you can have the name "Thug" and the group name "Bandit" or give your bandits individual names, like Bob Smith, Bandit.

As for class based, it depends on the group you are using, they will be ranged or melee base but different encounters have different classes for each of the two (archers, spell based, rogue, fighter, guardian etc...). where you can have all melee, all range or a mix of the two.

I hope I covered at least most of what you were asking about.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.