test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

@Hero of the North Buyers

danny11068danny11068 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
What made you decide to buy it and why?

To expand further, I'm REALLY interested in paying the $200, and I have the money. My hesitation, is I quit WoW in about 2010, and I've never had a home long enough to justify $200. GW2, Rift, TERA, TSW, SWTOR, etc the list is long, I've played (and don't get me wrong, enjoyed!) many MMO's in the mean time, but if I had spent $200 on any of them, I definitely would not have gotten my $$$ worth.

I LOVE everything I've seen about the game, never had the chance to actually play it. I'm seeking personal stories told from people who did put up the big money to tell me what thing tipped the scale for you?

It doesn't have to be just them though, if you bought a lesser tier, and/or are holding out spending any money at all, feel free to chip in, what makes you hesitate?
Post edited by danny11068 on

Comments

• chomagchomag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Unless you're interested in the drow character, you don't really have a reason to buy it over the Guardian.
  • nolifekrippariannolifekripparian Member Posts: 32
    edited April 2013
    just wait for open beta,try it and then decide if u want to buy a pack for some reason, the only good reason i can see its to get more inventory slots,but u can buy that from store anyway
  • danny11068danny11068 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    chomag wrote: »
    Unless you're interested in the drow character, you don't really have a reason to buy it over the Guardian.

Drow is available to anyone in 60 days, so even that would be a stretch.

But your point is well noted, the thing I saw in all the perks are that many of them are hard to say just how much of an advantage they are.

1 respect token (well how hard are those to get) hard to judge its worth
    2M diamonds (how hard are diamonds to get, same problem)
    priority login queue (post-launch, likely not much of an issue)
    the list goes on

and it's not a critique, maybe those perks are great, maybe in a month all of them are meaningless, it's a gamble is my only point
  • nolifekrippariannolifekripparian Member Posts: 32
    edited April 2013
    in a month all of them are meaningless as u said,the question is if u can afford to pay 200 bucks to start to play 5 days before others and have some perks that make the start of the game easier and faster...if ur main concern is the long run its not worth it
  • ravenrabbitravenrabbit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I decided to spend the money just for the simple fact that I am thrilled there is a Forgotten Realms based MMO and I really want it to succeed. That made me put in my money. Everything else is icing :)
  • futrixfutrix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    search feature, here is a freebie:
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?77461-A-Breakdown-of-the-Founder-Pack-Values&highlight=founder+pack+worth

this thread calculates value based on things that exist in some variation on the shop and their cost so that is what some items don't have a value with them being unique and value based on the buyer.
    remember that 100zen = $1.00
    also the diamonds in each pack was increased to 2million and 600k respectively

to me the values of the packs strand out if you want multiple characters. champions in these packs are the only account wide companions in the game.
  • vampuricknightvampuricknight Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 40
    edited April 2013
    danny11068 wrote: »

To expand further, I'm REALLY interested in paying the $200, and I have the money. My hesitation, is I quit WoW in about 2010, and I've never had a home long enough to justify $200. GW2, Rift, TERA, TSW, SWTOR, etc the list is long, I've played (and don't get me wrong, enjoyed!) many MMO's in the mean time, but if I had spent $200 on any of them, I definitely would not have gotten my $$$ worth.

I LOVE everything I've seen about the game, never had the chance to actually play it. I'm seeking personal stories told from people who did put up the big money to tell me what thing tipped the scale for you?

It doesn't have to be just them though, if you bought a lesser tier, and/or are holding out spending any money at all, feel free to chip in, what makes you hesitate?

Hate to say it but this thread has been done before probably more times than even i'm aware. To answer your question the most common reasons people bought the hero of the north are.
    1. Menzo special drow race (everyone wants to look like a unique snowflake what better way than a skin type that will likely be fairly rare 6-8 months down the road)
    2. Spider mount/ specific items in the Hero pack (some people love the mount some people hate it... but its been confermed as a top tier mount which again will proably be fairly rare until a reskinned, likely slower equivalent comes out)
    3. Support the devs (some see this as the only reason for buying the $200 pack they might be right, who knows)
    4. 2 million AD (some people think that since their is a limit on how much astral diamonds can be refind in a day that for the average person to gain 2 million Astral diamonds without buying zen would take around 1/3rd - 1/2 of a year. which of course makes people want the most AD they can get)
    5. 5 days early access (some just can't wait and want to get in as soon as possible thinking it gives some advantage to leveling... which it does but only until everyone else hit level cap and then inevitably out grinds them for better gear.)

I could go on but honestly those are the most common reasons i've heard. If your looking for a reason to buy it yourself i'd suggest not looking at why others wanted it but do it because you find what you get entertaining enough to want it for the price listed.
  • danny11068danny11068 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Touche on the search function, probably could've just done that, my bad.

Never would have tried to look for what you linked @futrix so ty for link

@vampurucknight the fault in the logic there, is assuming I have enough expertise to make that call. How would I judge a game's worth (even if I'm judging its personal worth TO ME) on nothing more than a few youtube videos? I am very much already taking the advice of making my own decision, but in part of that research, I like to hear what did it for other people, and lay my own meaning on those things. For example, supporting the devs is actually one of my biggest reasons, above most the features.

At any rate I think I'm going to go for it, I've passed on so many high-tier founder's packs that I've never wanted as badly as this one, so let's wing it :P

Ty all for feedback, it's appreciated
  • slatsauslatsau Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I decided to spend the money just for the simple fact that I am thrilled there is a Forgotten Realms based MMO and I really want it to succeed. That made me put in my money. Everything else is icing :)

This. I loved Baldurs Gate, Baldurs Gate Series, Icewind Dale Series, I've listened to many many of the newly released Forgotten Realms Authors on Audible.Com. I love the Universe, the Races, the Creatures. I hope that but shelling out some cash helps new classes and races to be implemented.

The thing I'm VERY interested to see is for some really great creative people (who are not me) to get there hands on the Foundry and to see what people can create.
  • vernedndvernednd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 215 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    To be Drizzt on day one!!!!!

j/k, I wanted all the swag, beta playtime, headstart. I wanted to play multiple toons and have them equipped with bag, mount, companion and items. I viewed it as 'frontloading' my experience so to speak. I purchased both founder's packs. Bear in mind I also have lifetime for CO and STO on other accounts, so I believe you get your money out of Cryptic services.

Cheers!
    Fighter.jpg
  • laughheadlaughhead Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    futrix wrote: »
    search feature, here is a freebie:
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?77461-A-Breakdown-of-the-Founder-Pack-Values&highlight=founder+pack+worth

this thread calculates value based on things that exist in some variation on the shop and their cost so that is what some items don't have a value with them being unique and value based on the buyer.
    remember that 100zen = $1.00
    also the diamonds in each pack was increased to 2million and 600k respectively

to me the values of the packs strand out if you want multiple characters. champions in these packs are the only account wide companions in the game.

the calculation he does for the Hotn is wrong...
    its not a blue lvl 60 weapon its a purple.
    its not 750k AD its 2million AD
    so he is way off
  • moodsmoods Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Playing Alpha and Beta convinced me, this is a solid PvE game, I cannot speak for the PvP parts, but i can definatly see me enjoying the PvE parts for a while to come, hopefully we will see small sizes raids at some point aswell.

Thank you Cryptic for delivering an amazing experience, looking forward to supporting you in the future.
  • hanskisaragihanskisaragi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Early access. the diamonds.. the mount.. support cryptic for making a D&D game!
  • chomagchomag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Early access. the diamonds.. the mount.. support cryptic for making a D&D game!

Support is nice and all but why support company that makes a bad product ?! I mean you don't know for certain you will like the game for more than a week, at least people who didn't play the betas don't. So why throw money at them just for mentioning the D&D ruleset ?!

I did that with Defiance as well as Firefall. Sure the games looked nice and I bought the founders pack (not the most expensive pack in the offer, though). It took me 3 hours to realize Defiance sucks donkey *** and less than 1 hour to realize Firefall is boring as sin. Money well wasted.
  • ervoniservonis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I wish I hadn't of paid out the dolla now. This is because I'm really skeptical that this game is even going to be a success.. Just another money-sink that inevitably will become really boring before I've had my moneys worth.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Support is nice and all but why support company that makes a bad product ?!

I support the company because it isn't a bad product. :)
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • skullklovnskullklovn Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well, I wanted to do it to support the game because it plays how I want it to play aswell as give me some great items to start with. Having a drow character and a panther companion is a + for me, but the spider mount is the sweet tender juice I was really looking for. Extra character slots ect ect is just a bonus. If I barely had any money I would have maybe picked a cheaper one, but as I have way more money then I have expenses, I see why not :D
  • jd0ggjd0gg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Armored spider mount
    Renegade drow
    2 million doll.. er.. astral diamonds

Plus to support the game.
    JDogg, Original Gamester
    All Out Assault
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hero of the North packages are -redacted-

My own mistaken assumption based on the fact I already have an HotN package.

My apologies for spamming this thread!
    Release the hounds and let the flogging begin!
  • deacon777deacon777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hero of the North packages are no longer for sale. Guardian packages I suspect will no longer be fore sale beginning Saturday (possibly Friday) morning.

Still look like they are there for me.
  • morvek01morvek01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Hero of the North packages are no longer for sale. Guardian packages I suspect will no longer be fore sale beginning Saturday (possibly Friday) morning.

the BUY tab on the packs page greys out if you've already made the purchase for that particular pack and are logged into you account. L-o-L, thanks for the chuckle first thing in the morning because it confuzzled me as well the first time I ran into that.
    If you can't be constructive in your criticism, go back to world-of-whiners.
  • argantisargantis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    @ OP,

This is an interview that I gave in between closed beta weekend three and four.

http://www.cvgames.com/editorials/neverwinter-founder-beta-weekend-4-interview
  • tanerastaneras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    To be perfectly honest, I'm getting a vasectomy in a few days and the 5 day early access really sold it for me. All I'm allowed to do is to sit on ice. I'd like something to keep me occupied during the late week/weekend. Oddly enough I just got burnt out on the two other games I've been playing and don't think they'd hold my attention all that much this weekend. This 5 days early access before the open beta is quite literally perfect timing for me.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't purchase it just for that. The other items (2 million diamonds, the lv 60 weapon, spider mount, panther, early access to drow race and a unique drow appearance, etc.) really appealed to me. But the most important part of that package was the 5 days of early access.
  • elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Pretty much everything it has to offer is of value to me. The race, the pet, the mount, the currency, the bags, the headstart...and as with others I'm a huge Forgotten Realms fan so supporting a game company developing in that world is definitely something I'm all for.
    edited April 2013
    taneras wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest, I'm getting a vasectomy in a few days and the 5 day early access really sold it for me. All I'm allowed to do is to sit on ice. I'd like something to keep me occupied during the late week/weekend. Oddly enough I just got burnt out on the two other games I've been playing and don't think they'd hold my attention all that much this weekend. This 5 days early access before the open beta is quite literally perfect timing for me.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't purchase it just for that. The other items (2 million diamonds, the lv 60 weapon, spider mount, panther, early access to drow race and a unique drow appearance, etc.) really appealed to me. But the most important part of that package was the 5 days of early access.

I needed to know that.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited April 2013
    My experience in alpha testing, combined with my love of how Cryptic handles chat systems and the Foundry, made it clear to me I was going to be in this game for a very long time. If I'm going to be in it for a long time, having that stuff will be nice. Also, blue forum name. :)
  • leomutretaleomutreta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I bought both packs for the companions and mounts. The fact that they are +3 and per character make then pretty valuable. The diamonds are a plus too.
  • exhilolexhilol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 34
    edited April 2013
    danny11068 wrote: »

Watch this Video.. This guy does a really good job getting information across to the viewer exactly how the economy works in the game. You said you were unsure about the value of a few things in the game. Well I hope this helps you out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAslnB7kgEo

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNPAe2ICFvc
  • delgatto42delgatto42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I watched the first 5 mins of someone doing the tutorial...

So for me, I heard of a fairly simple interface game (you have what, wasd movement, left/right click, q-e-r-1-2-tab for attacks, and 3-4-5 for potions in combat at worst in neverwinter) which is one thing I loved about RF Online, based on D&D 4th MMO edition (seriously, the day I read the PHB for 4th ed I said someone needs to make this into an MMO), by a company that, although I feel Cryptic sometimes has questionable moral choices, has always produced games I love.

I played CoH for something like 4 years, and STO for the better part of one year.

I compared the prices for HotN and Guardian packs vs lifetime memberships to various mmo's. Since lifetime memberships are generally sold pre launch to help boost revenue, I figured this was comparable. I also compared the features to things like SWOTOR's Delux Collectors Edition.

What I determined was that, the 260 I was paying for both packs was less than many lifetime memberships for other games, had FAR more in it than most collectors editions, and was supporting a game that seemed to have a lot that I liked. Then after I bought they gave me even more freebies, so that was exciting.

No other game that I looked at comes even close to giving you so much swag for so little. The 700$ price tag is subjective. If I make a dozen chars (including deletes and re-creates) the fact I always have 2 tier 3 companions that I never have to buy alone pays for itself over time. And chances are, even with buying the two packs, I will more than likely spend another 100$ on neverwinter this year. 360$ for a years worth of fun and entertainment really isn't that much, and helps the company out quite a bit. I don't pay for Cable TV or any of that, so my entertainment budget is still less than the ~80$ per month for TV.
    When he gets to Heaven To Saint Peter he will say, "Hand me 4d6. Lets roll the dice and play!"
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    deacon777 wrote: »
    Still look like they are there for me.

Yes - that was a mistake on MY part and I apologize - since I already have it, it's dims out for me! :) (I'll change my post to reflect my SNAFU comment). LOL