test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Human as the best race for all classes?

soulwarrior78soulwarrior78 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 541 Arc User
edited April 2013 in PvE Discussion
Humans get those 3 extra Heroic perks, so wouldn't that make human the best race? Get to lvl cap, reset all your Heroic points and spent those 3 extras on the high lvl perks?

Wouldn't those 3 extra Heroic points end up being better than +2 to stats or something else that other races might offer? Those 3 extra Heroic points would make quite the difference later on in the game.

I wanted to play something else, but in the end, those 3 heroic points are just too good not to go for it. Any thoughts on this?
Post edited by soulwarrior78 on

Comments

• Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited April 2013
    That's pretty much correct, there are very few combinations of race/class better than human/whatever. Of note, though, the Half-Orc makes great TR.
    But it really depends on how you want to spend your feat points. For instance, I found the three extra feat points largely fluff for a GF. The base amount for other races was enough to get everything I wanted, so I opted for a Tiefling a.) because I wanted a tiefling and b.) because the extra 5% damage to targets -50% health is a pretty big DPS boost that can't be obtained with those 3 feat points anywhere

Min/maxers will probably go human for just about everything, which I guess is okay because even in FR humans are supposed to be the most prevalent species, but since in many cases the three feat points are largely superfluous or make such a small difference that can be overcome with good gear/gameplay, the decision for a race remains largely cosmetic.

Still, I wouldn't mind some minor changes for racial bonuses adjust for balance, such as human extra feat points being reduced to 2, and the +1% gold find for Half-Elves is laughably terrible.
  • Options
    zingarbagezingarbage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Those three points can not be used in paragon trees. Only in the first 4 tiers of the general tree. As you said, you give up +2 stats and the races get two race abilities on top of the 2 stat points.

No argument the Human race isn't a solid choice all around, but some of the others are going to be better for specific classes from a min/max POV.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    projxprojx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Orc TR
    Tiefling DC / CW
    Human GWF (defense lends to power)
    Dwarf GF

imo
    Gave in to that momentary sadistic twitch...
    hk47banner.jpg
  • Options
    adozuadozu Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i am pretty sure it's the actual "defense" stat that gets partly converted into "power" for GWF. humans afaik give +6AC (3% red) so it shouldn't benefit GWF.
  • Options
    leissesleisses Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    AFAIK Humans has a 3% Defence increase, that's different from 3% DR. Can anyone confirm?
  • Options
    japo1japo1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 44
    edited April 2013
    projx wrote: »
    Orc TR
    Tiefling DC / CW
    Human GWF (defense lends to power)
    Dwarf GF

imo

Why tiefling is better than human for CW?
    3 bonus points can unlock weapon mastery feat than gives 1% crit more than tief racial cha bonus

Even prestidigitation is not bad for party play
    :mad:
  • Options
    mewbreymewbrey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 517 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    leisses wrote: »
    AFAIK Humans has a 3% Defence increase, that's different from 3% DR. Can anyone confirm?

Yeah its 3% of your defense not 3% damage reduction, on my cleric it was about 0.75% Damage reduction.
    ~*~ Foundry missions: Stronghold Branax : Goblin menace : Forwyn crypts ~*~
  • Options
    leissesleisses Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    wow the last Heroic Tier of CW is awesome. Humans are probably the best race for this class as japo1 said.
  • Options
    jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I play a human irl. last thing i want is the same thing in my fantasy mmo..
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Human always win Period
  • Options
    mokomiimokomii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Human
    official wiki says 5 points now, 3 extra points alone just makes it so hard to not choose human.

it makes it so you can spend 8 on the last teir (of course you can spend the extra 3 anywhere, 9% max hp etc)
    Greater weapon fighter 3% crit 15% better crits (6 points 2 extra)
    Control wizard 5% more damage and gain 3% more stats for your entire team.
    Cleric points are everywhere gain 9% more dine power, 3% crit, you really have to look, this class might be the only maybe.
    rogue 15% more stats from str, stealth lasts 12% longer, at wills deal 9% more damage. one of those 3 choices.
    guardian fighter your attacker deals 3% less damage, defense and ac are 15% more effective, duration of your cc's by 15% another can go everywhere you need to go.

I have a hard time picking anything other than human.
  • Options
    tekarutekaru Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    whoa, 5? any idea what the level breakdown will be? like lvl 15, 20, and 30, and then??
  • Options
    kotlikotli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 577
    edited April 2013
    http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com is not an official source dont belive me red the small print it says "This site is a part of Curse, Inc. and is not affiliated with Perfect World Entertainment Inc."
    Also anyone can edit it, I wouldn't de surprised if mokomii changed it to 5 himself.
    As it stands Humans only get 3 extra feats until a Dev says otherwise or I see different in game its 3.
  • Options
    mokomiimokomii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    in BW?2 or 3? it was 2 points. In BW4 it was 3 points. Official wiki says 5 which is way to much imo.
    3 was "fine" since all you got was 3% defense (half of the classes don't care) and -2 on an ability score (but you always get +2 in your primary) GWF you had to go human, same with guardian fighter and control wizard. People can make the argument that Orcs or Tiefling will be better rogues but, 15% more str means that when you have 14 str (spoiler you'll have more) you get the benefits of Orcs +2 str. all you get is 5% better crits or maybe you want your auto attacks to deal 9% more damage and ignore increase stealth since I really don't know how that works.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    kotli wrote: »
    http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com is not an official source dont belive me red the small print it says "This site is a part of Curse, Inc. and is not affiliated with Perfect World Entertainment Inc."
    Also anyone can edit it, I wouldn't de surprised if mokomii changed it to 5 himself.
    As it stands Humans only get 3 extra feats until a Dev says otherwise or I see different in game its 3.

You should be surprised. Don't point fingers, instead link the history of the page.
    http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/index.php?title=Human&action=history
    The official wiki (wiki meaning anyone can edit it) it was 2, someone "corrected it" by placing 5. then another unknown person changed it to 3.
  • Options
    kotlikotli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 577
    edited April 2013
    No I played all Beta weekends it always been 3 extra feat points it was broken in earlier weekends though edit: (it wasn't giving the feats)/end edit.
    As I said in the last post that wiki is not official and any one can change it to say anything they wish.
    As such I wouldn't trust it when it posts a change this large that was made when no one at all can access the game and theres nothing written anywhere else about it.

The last time I was playing BW4 the extra feats points where still 3 for humans.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I don't know why you are responding.
    yes, in all of my examples I gave as tho it was 3 points. All I said is don't point fingers, educate what a wiki is, point where you can view the history, and then I told them what the history said.
  • Options
    streamofsolacestreamofsolace Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Can we go ahead and not use the word "official" to describe a Wiki? A Wiki is the opposite of an official source.
  • Options
    andrylar10andrylar10 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 45
    edited April 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    That's pretty much correct, there are very few combinations of race/class better than human/whatever. Of note, though, the Half-Orc makes great TR.
    But it really depends on how you want to spend your feat points. For instance, I found the three extra feat points largely fluff for a GF. The base amount for other races was enough to get everything I wanted, so I opted for a Tiefling a.) because I wanted a tiefling and b.) because the extra 5% damage to targets -50% health is a pretty big DPS boost that can't be obtained with those 3 feat points anywhere

Min/maxers will probably go human for just about everything, which I guess is okay because even in FR humans are supposed to be the most prevalent species, but since in many cases the three feat points are largely superfluous or make such a small difference that can be overcome with good gear/gameplay, the decision for a race remains largely cosmetic.

Still, I wouldn't mind some minor changes for racial bonuses adjust for balance, such as human extra feat points being reduced to 2, and the +1% gold find for Half-Elves is laughably terrible.
    Yeah that's a good point about the Half-Elves. I want to make my Ranger a Half Elf but the racial benefits are definitely a little on the lame side right now.
  • Options
    derresshderressh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Noooo, human is a terrible race. Everyone should play a different one.

[/futile attempt to stop everyone from picking the same race as me]
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 1,887 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well, that link -is- the official Wiki of NW, based on the front page:

http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=869911

Just FYI.
  • Options
    decubisdecubis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 90
    edited April 2013
    I play a human irl. last thing i want is the same thing in my fantasy mmo..

Totally agree
    Greetings Decubis,
    image_160079_thumb_wide300.jpg
    Decubis: Dwarf Guardian Fighter: lvl 60
    Demic: Human Devoted Cleric: lvl 60
    Server: Beholder Guild: The Unnamed
  • Options
    argantisargantis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I would not say that human is the best race at all for every class to start off.

I can speak in depth on the GWF and if you go offensive Half-Orc is hands down the best option. If you go defensive then Human looks like the most min/maxed. However, if you look at the drop off to Halfling on a defensive build it is small. The same with the Half-Orc. Really they are not so much inferior to a human in defensive builds, they just are different.

On other classes I have some thoughts but I favor both the Half-Orc and the Drow over the Human on Trickster Rogues. Halfling and Elf are also perfectly viable there and even the Half-Elf is not bad.

On the Devoted Cleric I really favor the Dwarf and Half-Elf over anything else.

On the Control Wizard I favor the Elf.

On the Guardian Fighter I think that the Human wins out but not by much, pretty much all of the defensive classes for GWF are fine options here too.

And I would not ever, never, no matter what, play a Tiefling. They can go take a short walk off a long cliff. I don't care how min / max they are I will never play a darn demonchild!

Edit: I also hope that Human is always a majority of players. The majority of the Forgotten Realms population is human and if everyone walking around is some non human then it don't seem so special to be one. The LAST THING I wan to see is a majority of Neverwinter be Drow. Honestly I hope that Drow Racials suck so that people on them are rare and truly play them because they want to, not because they have min / maxed everything.

I can deal with a variety even, an even spread on races populating the game. But it is going to suck if anything but Human is a predominant race. The last thing I want is a game setting that is so fantastical that when something is fantastical it is just ho hum, run of the mill, every day stuff.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Really I doubt that Humans are going to turn out better than the rest even with the bonus Feats, why your losing 2 stat points an extra racial for it. As things stand Tieflings are better for wizards and rogues IMO.
  • Options
    richardseatonrichardseaton Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 87
    edited April 2013
    argantis wrote: »
    Edit: I also hope that Human is always a majority of players. The majority of the Forgotten Realms population is human and if everyone walking around is some non human then it don't seem so special to be one. The LAST THING I wan to see is a majority of Neverwinter be Drow. Honestly I hope that Drow Racials suck so that people on them are rare and truly play them because they want to, not because they have min / maxed everything.

I can deal with a variety even, an even spread on races populating the game. But it is going to suck if anything but Human is a predominant race. The last thing I want is a game setting that is so fantastical that when something is fantastical it is just ho hum, run of the mill, every day stuff.

If you really want human to be the majority of players, you should be talking up human rather than saying they are not the best race for all classes.
  • Options
    tekarutekaru Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    andrylar10 wrote: »
    Yeah that's a good point about the Half-Elves. I want to make my Ranger a Half Elf but the racial benefits are definitely a little on the lame side right now.

seems like Half-Elves are the worst.
  • Options
    decubisdecubis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 90
    edited April 2013
    I am having a hard time deciding between human or dwarf race for a Guardian Fighter. Could anybody help me make a descision? I am leaning towards dwarf for the racials but the human 3% defence and feats do sound very powerful for a tank.
    Greetings Decubis,
    image_160079_thumb_wide300.jpg
    Decubis: Dwarf Guardian Fighter: lvl 60
    Demic: Human Devoted Cleric: lvl 60
    Server: Beholder Guild: The Unnamed
  • Options
    aliramaliram Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    tekaru wrote: »
    seems like Half-Elves are the worst.
    Yeah, seems like Cryptic hates Half-elves for some reason. +1% gold find is beyond pathetic, +1 to a non-class ability score is mostly useless too.
    Still I plan to roll one for my CW :(.
  • Options
    bejita231bejita231 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Human is the best race and everyone picks it because its more immersive, i dont want to be in a fantasy world as a orc, i want to be a human because i invision myself in the world better that way, and is why human is the most popular race in all MMO's
  • Options
    bluesteel8bluesteel8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    decubis wrote: »
    I am having a hard time deciding between human or dwarf race for a Guardian Fighter. Could anybody help me make a descision? I am leaning towards dwarf for the racials but the human 3% defence and feats do sound very powerful for a tank.

Dwarf is the Tank race for sure. The problem is I hate playing dwarves /duck. So Ill be rolling Human.
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
    The Older Gamers (25+) - Never too old to play games