test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Power vs. Armor Penetration

2»

Comments

• talesmithtalesmith Member Posts: 116
    edited May 2013
    From what I gather power and deflection both do not incur a diminishing return but are relatively weak throughout, opposite to critical strike, penetration and defense wich start off immensly good but suffer pretty heavy diminishing returns.
    Power and deflection become interesting stats once you have the rest up to a level where adding is less effective then the aforementioned. Pay in mind some classes get more out of deflection then others, so numbers there vary.
    Not sure what point this is for power, but as for defense and deflection I think I found it became interesting to get deflection at around 2500 defense on my 60 GF. I think it's about the same number for armor pen, but could be mistaken.
  • zerokunoichi7zerokunoichi7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Power has diminishing returns as well because you can test it with the Stalwart set. You would think that you would do some crazy damage having 12k Power but you don't.
  • sanctumlolsanctumlol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 382 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Power has diminishing returns as well because you can test it with the Stalwart set. You would think that you would do some crazy damage having 12k Power but you don't.

Lol, no, don't say bull****.
  • justworknamejustworkname Member Posts: 63
    edited May 2013
    You're inverting the rogue's deflection severity. Although it sounds like it only reduces 25% from the number it's actually a 75% reduction.

aha, quite possible.. readint it though:

Deflection severity: How much damage you avoid when you deflect an attack= 25%... are you sure I'm the one inverting it? Across several other posts that seems to be the understanding of most other ppl as well? So I would definately love to be incorrect and find that deflection seems more useful or powerful than it does (and that is loosely speaking... being able to cut out 1/4 of a hit taken isn't a small thing exactly, its true) but it definately seems to interpret as 25% for a rogue from the way it reads?

As for say the wizard with a 50% deflection severity, that falls into double the value.. so for a person looking at it in the simplest terms, you could kinda say it has double the value for that player. (but again... if I'm trying to make sense of this... if that is added to a starting point of 50%, then a wizard who deflects takes no damage at all? With how easy it is to get deflect up to a very decent value, then without question that is pretty powerful... I still don't see how that is how it works out, looking below at the second line, under defensive stats, where it breaks down exactly what each stat is doing for you... Its not values that stack on top of the above values... its simply a more detailed breakdown of how the above values and base values of each stat work out for your character... right?)

And knoteskad ty that was a much clearer way of putting it, both with power's "power" and the devaluation of ArPen... Basically, as crazy as it sound, going with no ArPen at ALL is actually an efficient way of rendering another players ArPen doubly useless... First, its not doing anything to you.. Second, its not doing anything to YOU and its keeping the other person at a lower stat of say, power, or crit, or recovery... So in a roundabout means of lowering their own firepower you are reducing their effectiveness by having chosen to stack ArPen.
  • rgrmrdthrgrmrdth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just want to say thanks to all for your replies.

My original question was an open ended question for all classes.
  • pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    nam19772 wrote: »
    Power is the best stat by far, just stack it like your life depends on it!

And then die in PvP because the person you're playing with actually stacked crit and armor pen like someone who knows what they're doing.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • wholyhandgrenadewholyhandgrenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    talesmith wrote: »
    From what I gather power and deflection both do not incur a diminishing return but are relatively weak throughout, opposite to critical strike, penetration and defense wich start off immensly good but suffer pretty heavy diminishing returns.
    Power and deflection become interesting stats once you have the rest up to a level where adding is less effective then the aforementioned. Pay in mind some classes get more out of deflection then others, so numbers there vary.
    Not sure what point this is for power, but as for defense and deflection I think I found it became interesting to get deflection at around 2500 defense on my 60 GF. I think it's about the same number for armor pen, but could be mistaken.

here is the key thing, if you don't have much points in something a small amount will get you the largest increases, which means you should be placing at least a minimum amount into everything but the bulk into only a few things (placing some points into everything won't at all look impressive on the character sheet, but it does feel like it plays stronger)
  • wholyhandgrenadewholyhandgrenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    pinkfont wrote: »
    And then die in PvP because the person you're playing with actually stacked crit and armor pen like someone who knows what they're doing.

as a cleric I find our healing skills very upsetting, not only are they 40% less effective upon ourselves (I don't ever recall that being part of D&D), but many of our healing buffs state that they boost those we play with but make no mention of helping us ourselves and one of these is something like 85% damage reduction from criticals (do clerics who place points to max this out get 85% damage reduction from criticals for a few seconds or does that effect only apply to anyone other than themselves?)
  • abombination247abombination247 Member Posts: 1,279 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    rgrmrdth wrote: »
    Which is better - normally.

Power
    vs.
    Armor Penetration
    Defense
    vs.
    Deflection
    Power
    vs.
    Critical Strike
    Armor Penetration
    vs.
    Critical Strike

The answer is simple.

Get all these stats.... OVER 9000!!!!!!
  • torquedsoultorquedsoul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    zingarbage wrote: »
    The one thing about power is it has no diminishing returns

The problem with understanding power is that its impact cannot be determined by simply looking at a curve as with Crits, Armor Pen, and recovery. The effect of power depends on both the individual skill which is being performed and by the amount of damage that the weapon(s) being used causes. Since the power stat doesn't buff the weapon damage directly, the greater the amount of damage a weapon does, the more the power stat is marginalized in terms of percent increase of total damage.

Each skill has a multiplier that it applies to the power stat. This is can be less than one as with fast at will attacks or multiplied 4 or 5 times (or more) with encounters and dailies. In addition, each skill has a separate multiplier for weapon damage from what I can tell. If the weapon multiplier for a skill is is higher than the power multiplier it can further reduce relative effect of power.
  • abombination247abombination247 Member Posts: 1,279 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    This is a great discussion. I have a question to look at something for Damage. What is stacked to get the biggest burst per hit. Damage pure Damage. ? Not talking crit severity lets leave the vorpals out for now. If you want to crit someones face off in PvP for each class what would be ideal ? I think we can have some fun with this one. What will make you hurt the others players feelings the most as he is in the graveyard like what the heck just hit me.