test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tiefling GWF - Viable?

piratedrugallpiratedrugall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 45
edited May 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Hey there!
A friend of mine has been debating between Great Weapon Fighter and Control Wizard for a while now, and she thinks she's leaning toward GWF. Only thing is, she wants to play a Tiefling, and she's worried the Tiefling racial ability bonuses won't work well for GWF.

Do the 2 points make that much of a difference?
Post edited by piratedrugall on

Comments

• silknightsilknight Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 199
    edited April 2013
    Don't bother, this class isn't worth playing ATM. It was heavily nerfed for no reason. But if you must, thiefling bonus was nice, in prior weekends, don't know how viable it will be with the class as broken as it is.
  • kurtixwarlordkurtixwarlord Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Your talking about the +2 Charisma? i think its not THAT important, im going to play a tiefling GWF too as main PJ, you still get +2 Constitution what is one of our main atributes. If i remember well, in BWE3 i satarted with 15 at the main atributes, 12 at charisma and 10 in the others. And extra stats for the companions is not that bad, you can get it back with runes that share part of the companion atributes back to you.

Also, the Tiefling passives are Bloodhunt, what made us deal +5% damage to targets with less tan 50% health, and Infernal Wrath that have a 10% chance to low the enemy power in 5% everytime we got hit. Both of them are pretty good for an GWF IMO.

EDIT: Silknight, really, stop the /cry all over the forum, you already spoken your mind in ALL the others threads... I cant play this beta but as far i see, they nerfed a single path (destroyer) who EVERYONE is taking "cause it does tons of damage and i can feel like a barbarian". Anyway, this post was created to answer a question, not to became a wailing room, hakarat already do that.
  • piratedrugallpiratedrugall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 45
    edited April 2013
    Thanks for the info, Kurtix! Yeah, I was really hoping that the Bloodhunt and Infernal Wrath would make up for the Charisma. They also changed the main races page for the bonuses and made it look like they changed it from having a choice between Int and Con to just being Charisma and Intelligence without the Constitution option. That scared me a little xD

@Silk: I do appreciate the opinion, but like Kurtix said, it's beta and balance issues are going to be present for a while. I wouldn't worry too much over it, if nothing else the next patch will probably make them broken! xD
  • silknightsilknight Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 199
    edited April 2013
    Yea I'm optimistic, just voicing my disapproval of the current state of things. Take it with a grain of salt, just some minor griping. In BW3 Thiefling Was pretty mean all around, especially in PVP they had some nasty burst.
  • adozuadozu Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    it wasn't nerfed for no reason, once gwf picked up in levels and got out of the low level swamp it had the best damage output of all classes and was above rogues even. it arguably got nerfed too much however...
  • hakarathakarat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 130 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    hakarat already do that.

Hey thanks for mentioning me. Like silknight, i'm just stating my disapproval. I try to stick to threads that are pertinent to the subject and I feel I have been, I wouldn't come into random threads and state my gripe.

As for the racials question, typically the most preferred races for GWF are viewed as Human, Dwarf, H-Orc and certainly Tiefling. If you are just going by racial bonuses, H-Orc and Tieflings are certainly one of the top picks for DPS, if you like a good looking character as well as good DPS bonuses, Tiefling's are certainly a great choice.

For defensive minded GWF, Human and Dwarf are your best bet because of their extra defensive abilities and stat synergies.

I'd say tell your friend to definitely go for Tiefling if that's what she wants. Hope that helps.
    "There are more things in heaven and earth,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
  • zardoz007zardoz007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    EDIT: Silknight, really, stop the /cry all over the forum, you already spoken your mind in ALL the others threads... I cant play this beta but as far i see, they nerfed a single path (destroyer) who EVERYONE is taking "cause it does tons of damage and i can feel like a barbarian". Anyway, this post was created to answer a question, not to became a wailing room, hakarat already do that.[/QUOTE]

WHOA Kurtix Warlord they didnt just nerf the destroyer path. they nerfed all of the GWF mobility and AOE moves as well. a previous lv 1 Punishing Charge is now lv 45. And sure strike no longer hits a small area it is only area on the third strike and it is slow and deals less damage per hit than rogue daggers.

They killed the GWF, it was a cut below the rest in Beta 3 but still playable with the area and mobility advantage now they have nothing the class sucks and I will not roll a GWF my favorite archtype until it becomes playable again
  • killerderpkillerderp Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Personally, in my opinion, I would just go with whatever race she likes the most. I rolled a halfling Guardian Fighter this beta weekend and just fell in love with those little rascals. When the 27th hits and I can play again I think i'm going to be slightly silly and roll a halfling Great Weapon Fighter just because I fell in love with the race this weekend.
  • voidwatcherxvoidwatcherx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    WHOA Kurtix Warlord they didnt just nerf the destroyer path. they nerfed all of the GWF mobility and AOE moves as well. a previous lv 1 Punishing Charge is now lv 45. And sure strike no longer hits a small area it is only area on the third strike and it is slow and deals less damage per hit than rogue daggers.

They killed the GWF, it was a cut below the rest in Beta 3 but still playable with the area and mobility advantage now they have nothing the class sucks and I will not roll a GWF my favorite archtype until it becomes playable again

They didn't "kill" the class as much as many people would like to believe. At high levels which the game is ultimately balanced around (like most MMO these days.) The GWF could use some sort of damage normalization however at lower levels. We don't need much but it can help in the long run to keep the GWF population strong.

I think people just need to calm down for a bit and stop with the silly drama queen act. Instead provide helpful feedback as to why you think things are not working. "GWF is broken I'm not gonna play it!" and "GWF is a dead class gg Cryptic" is NOT constructive nor helpful.

Does the GWF function well as it stands now? At high levels and level cap I feel it fulfills it's role quite well barring the rather silly threat a Devoted Cleric's heals create. That aside the GWF is rather unfulfilling at low to mid-range as it now lacks the mobility it once had prior to the Power purchase change. Our punishing charge is now at level 45 which is a substantial and rather massive change from level 1. While I agree that it need to be there in the very beginning but I feel that perhaps a good level range would be at 12 or even 14. While we have sprint available we have not invested enough Feat points to make it powerful enough and in larger fights the stamina meter is lacking somewhat and we have a great deal of trouble getting out of harms way. Again, I reiterate for the sake of brevity, this is at LOW to MID levels . After level 30 the GWF starts to gain momentum as we gain access to Paragon feats as well as choosing a Paragon path (for now just the Swordmaster.)

So to summarize;
    Low to mid levels could do with damage normalization and better mobility (IE Punishing Charge)
    Unrelated to the GWF class but put a handle on the rather silly Devoted Cleric heal threat.

As for the original topic, choose whichever race aestethics appeal to you the most.
    dakasig.png

• mazzeimazzei Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    CON is important to GWF, so Tiefling can be a good pair, but it's a much better choice for a GF too.
  • kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Any class and race are "Viable". Being a certain race is not gonna hold you back. If you are having fun, you are winning the game. There is seriously NO need to min/max in this game. Just have some fun and make the character you want to make.
  • demonfleshdemonflesh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have one as my main, not only are the racial bonuses awesome but dude you are a devil with a freaking sword. Its like playing HellBoy...if he used a sword...and liked to jump up in the air