test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Time to Pick a Companion

tekarutekaru Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2013 in PvE Discussion
I've played in 3 betas so far. I played a GF in the first two and a GWF in the third. In all three I played a TR.
Every time I got to the level where I picked my first companion, for the Fighters, it was easy: Cleric.

But what is good for the Rogue? I didn't really need a healer, as I barely even touched my potions.

So that got me thinking - let's start a discussion on which companions work best for each class.
Post edited by tekaru on

Comments

• altyrealtyre Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 106 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Personally, I took the striker companion as a rogue, just for the lolz (not that I ever let him out - I'm one of those weirdies who goes lone-wolf in MMOs).
  • loliamosloliamos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think these are the ideal companions (at least from my point of view) for each class. The reason for having several companions, is because when you're training, you can use another.

Guardian Fighter class = animal companion, healer companion and wizard companion.
    Great Weapon Fighter class = animal companion, healer companion and wizard companion.
    Cleric class = animal companion, wizard companion and knigth companion.
    Rogue class = animal companion, healer companion, wizard companion and knigth companion.
    Wizard class = animal companion, healer companion and knigth companion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • altodarraltodarr Member Posts: 60
    edited April 2013
    Go with a passive one. Extra stats are good for everyone.
  • tekarutekaru Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Are you listing that in order, loliamos? So every class should pick the animal companion, first?

how often do you get new companion slots?
  • hedgehog8hedgehog8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I still didn't see any info on hawk, cat or detailed info on elemental - just how much stats they add?
  • selonwselonw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 258
    edited April 2013
    Im going for the healer zen companion first :)
  • prunetracyprunetracy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I took the Man At Arms for my first companion so that when I wasn't in stealth I could get CA easily.

I'll probably stick with that choice. I've heard you get a Cleric companion as a quest reward later, so it seems a waste to take a second healer.
  • mewbreymewbrey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 517 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    prunetracy wrote: »
    I took the Man At Arms for my first companion so that when I wasn't in stealth I could get CA easily.

I'll probably stick with that choice. I've heard you get a Cleric companion as a quest reward later, so it seems a waste to take a second healer.

Around level 20-25 during beta 1-3 you got a Man at arms and a cleric from the same zone so you will get both of these for free via quests.
    ~*~ Foundry missions: Stronghold Branax : Goblin menace : Forwyn crypts ~*~
  • tekarutekaru Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    mewbrey wrote: »
    Around level 20-25 during beta 1-3 you got a Man at arms and a cleric from the same zone so you will get both of these for free via quests.

both? in the same zone? that's handy. So I'm starting to understand the suggestion to get the animal, first, if you get these other companions later, for free.
  • kaelon79kaelon79 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 55
    edited April 2013
    altodarr wrote: »
    Go with a passive one. Extra stats are good for everyone.

I haven't seen enough details of all the various companions to know which ones provide passive buffs and what they are.
  • fredbakanfredbakan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 64
    edited April 2013
  • reburrebur Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    fredbakan wrote: »
    whiches better for healers?

Either tank or dps would be good for healers.

I actually go for healers most of the time. The cleric does real good for my Trick and GWF. Saves me on potions till I really need them.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    OS SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hard Drive & Crucial 256GB SSD x 2
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-biit)
  • neverasherneverasher Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    if you aren't a rogue it does benefit you to have another attacking companion so you can set him up to flank so you get constant combat advantage. you pretty much should always be attacking under combat advantage.
    2uhmn1l.jpg
  • adozuadozu Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    cat companion is my favourite. it's a passive one that adds it's own critical, recovery, armor penetration and power to your own so it's like (at max rank) you could equip "yourself" with 3 runestones and 3 extra pieces of equipment (so long as they are offense oriented). awesome for dps oriented characters.
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    mewbrey wrote: »

I must have missed this one. I got the dog but haven't seen the quest for the free man at arms or cleric.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Ah just found another thread and it appears that the cleric and man at arms are in the graveyard quest chain.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    hey, that's good to know. should save people 2-3G if they can just wait. that's one of the reasons I posted this thread, for those that like to "optimize" when they play MMOs.
  • silknightsilknight Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 199
    edited April 2013
    I picked up a cleric of kelemvor from the zen shop. Thing was pretty awful, minor lifesteal spell that healed like 1-2 per strike, and a defense it occasional casts. Pretty bad for a 2000 zen purchase, thankfully it all gets refunded come open beta
  • silverasilvera Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    silknight wrote: »
    I picked up a cleric of kelemvor from the zen shop. Thing was pretty awful, minor lifesteal spell that healed like 1-2 per strike, and a defense it occasional casts. Pretty bad for a 2000 zen purchase, thankfully it all gets refunded come open beta

Yeah , the life steal sucks , i hope it get some buff , because atm this companion is terrible
  • ganndogganndog Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    silvera wrote: »
    Yeah , the life steal sucks , i hope it get some buff , because atm this companion is terrible

Agreed, worst companion of all the ones Ive tried - please fix it:(
    'Get me out of this hell hole.'
  • aurennaurenn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    silknight wrote: »

Over all I've heard that the companions in general are kinda...crappy. The golemn from the cash shop was useful, if only to distract bosses and take hits. I wish I could give my companion's potions that they use when at X% hp. But after my experience, the companion's in the cash shop in general are not worth the price.
  • xervaixervai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The golem compared to the Man-At-Arms was awful, mostly due to the lack of a ranged taunt or leap ability. While I noticed the golem could take way more hits, and hit much harder, it's a single target pet.

Couldn't tell if the AI was messed up all weekend (I noticed they fell through the ground in instances constantly), but the Honey Badger and the Golem just were not being aggressive enough. I'd be getting hit, and unless I was attacking they just stood there in a corner.

The MAA was leaping and attacking as soon as I was hit, which is what I was expecting.
  • lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    loliamos wrote: »
    I think these are the ideal companions (at least from my point of view) for each class. The reason for having several companions, is because when you're training, you can use another.

Guardian Fighter class = animal companion, healer companion and wizard companion.
    Great Weapon Fighter class = animal companion, healer companion and wizard companion.
    Cleric class = animal companion, wizard companion and knigth companion.
    Rogue class = animal companion, healer companion, wizard companion and knigth companion.
    Wizard class = animal companion, healer companion and knigth companion.

This is seems a bit shallow. You basically said "all companions are good for all classes" here (except the ones mirroring the class role). This isn't exactly correct.

It depends on what you're doing, but let's stick to leveling for the sake of discussion. From my experience with CW, you want the cleric. From my experience with DC, you still want the cleric. TRs can go with any companion, because they get benefits from all types (but stay away from companions with knockback as a general rule).

Striker companions tend to do some terrible damage in what I've seen unless it's the Honey Badger or (most likely) another "paid" companion. This might scale better at higher levels.
  • l1zardo1l1zardo1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Go Ioun .. solves the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> AI issue. Also you can build whatever stats you want into it. Caveat: you now have to buy some <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> expensive purple tome for it.

PS. Perfect World generally has top notch pet AI, due to a huge amount of revenue coming in from those sales. Can they just not slide them the code lol
  • vinnytbvinnytb Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Haven't used a companion since BW1, but the healer was horrible at that time. Healed my rogue about 2% of their HP a minute. Meaning it takes them almost an hour to fully heal me if I'm hurting. I wouldn't recommend that for any class. In general I also would never expect them to be any good at DPS. At best a companion will soak some hits for you, so get one that will pull agro.
  • lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    vinnytb wrote: »
    Haven't used a companion since BW1, but the healer was horrible at that time. Healed my rogue about 2% of their HP a minute. Meaning it takes them almost an hour to fully heal me if I'm hurting. I wouldn't recommend that for any class. In general I also would never expect them to be any good at DPS. At best a companion will soak some hits for you, so get one that will pull agro.

Healing has improved, and they basically pull aggro as soon as they cast, allowing CA every encounter. That's why I suggested the cleric; it's generally better than the tanks at holding aggro with a single heal.
    edited April 2013
    ******, now i dont know which companion to get :P

Seems like all of them are quite crappy.
    Anyone tried the tomb spider?
  • itdude123itdude123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Someone posted that the honey badger was phenomenal. Anyone else had any experience with it?

Personally I used the generic healer on my TR. She didn't heal a lot but it kept me topped off between fights. Was a periodic HOT for about 150 a tick I think... would get me about 1/5 total health every 10-15 seconds or so. I rarely used a potion except on boss type fights once in a while or that rare occasion where she would run to the next 4 rooms and bring all of the mobs back (grumble).
    edited April 2013
    The badger gives any buffs?
  • valetudo78valetudo78 Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I played a gf and picked a wizard companion. He seemed mildly helpful. I would of picked a cleric companion, but I knew I would get one evetually.