test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is Neverwinter going to be P2W?

Comments

• deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yes you can do dailies to earn AD, however if the market is flooded with lockbox's and you have to pay AD to even put the item up for sale, and the return is less then what it cost to put it up there. Well that presents a problem. Personally the AH should not use AD. I never knew AD exsisted in the forgotten realms series. Going to have to check that out. "Twas a great journey with lots of treasure, the treasure was something we've never seen before! Astral Diamonds!" I just don't see that fitting.

Perfect world is indeed the publisher, however I've also heard from many they are the ones who control what goes in and out of the cash shop. You're right about complaining though, the only way this game will remain f2p is if enough people boycott the cash shop until all p2w items are removed. Which will never happen. Dual Wielding credits card users are strong in the force! Personally I'm okay with the f2p model as long as it has a sub option aside from it w/bonuses.

EDIT: To the poster above I am quite the opposite. I'd love if the game had a Sub model. In truth I tend to only play Sub modeled games because F2Ps often cost more money then Subbed games do. This is why the F2P model is popular. They can make 10x the amount of cash on p2w items vs Sub,

I think AD is like 100 times more valuable than Platinum in PH1
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zalfienzalfien Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    blueshift5 wrote: »
    I doubt it will be PTW but it will definitely be P2E (Pay to Enjoy).

There is already a $200 price tag if you want to enter the game on a par with others. If you think WoW attracted the spoiled rotten rich kids, hold on to your seats!

I don't think you're looking at the founder packages the right way. The only thing anyone got from founder packages were mounts, companions, a costume item that makes no difference in the game, and a starter weapon that will last until MAYBE level 16 before it starts getting trumped by other items. Beyond that, the only thing that $200 is going toward is support for the developers. Maybe it's time to read up on your facts before you claim that the founders are spoiled.
  • aetherchargeaethercharge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 359 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    zalfien wrote: »
    I don't think you're looking at the founder packages the right way. The only thing anyone got from founder packages were mounts, companions, a costume item that makes no difference in the game, and a starter weapon that will last until MAYBE level 16 before it starts getting trumped by other items. Beyond that, the only thing that $200 is going toward is support for the developers. Maybe it's time to read up on your facts before you claim that the founders are spoiled.

And the second best lvl 60 epic weapon in the game - just saying.
  • timm4444timm4444 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 363
    edited April 2013
    timm4444 wrote: »
    Have you played endgame PvP yet?

Do you know the best PvP gear currently in the game is bought with glory and is BOP????

Do you know that the only way to aquire Glory is by participation in PvP???

So Johnny moneybags who spent $4000 to acquire PVE BASED GEAR will be at a disadvantage if you are BIS with PvP gear. . .

Do a little research before you go spouting out misinformation like that. . .

And no game is truly free, you either pay with time or cash, most of the time its a mix of both. . .

Correction: it looks like PvP gear has been changed to BoE. . .
  • akikisaragiakikisaragi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    P2W doesn't exist. All there is to it.
  • aetherchargeaethercharge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 359 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    P2W doesn't exist. All there is to it.

This analysis is vastly too shallow.
  • steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    How much does people give for the Healthstone? I got one from my pack and I'm thinking on selling it, since it's a "must P2W" core gear. :P
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • iluvatarrulesiluvatarrules Member Posts: 172 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    This analysis is vastly too shallow.

ANy analysis is shallow when it's about a game that is entering beta tomorrow.. This thread discusses end game gear,PtW aspects and other things that none really has any clue about yet thus it is by definition a pointless thread. After the 30th these forums will be flooded with threads like this one and people that,instead of playing the **** game, are feeling obliged to give their unfounded opinions about everything..The only thing I'm worried about is the need for money to respec. This seems bad but still I will play the game and then , once I'm sure about what I'm talking about,form a thread complaining about it..
    edited April 2013
    ANy analysis is shallow when it's about a game that is entering beta tomorrow.. This thread discusses end game gear,PtW aspects and other things that none really has any clue about yet thus it is by definition a pointless thread. After the 30th these forums will be flooded with threads like this one and people that,instead of playing the **** game, are feeling obliged to give their unfounded opinions about everything..The only thing I'm worried about is the need for money to respec. This seems bad but still I will play the game and then , once I'm sure about what I'm talking about,form a thread complaining about it..

I mostly agree, I just take exception to comments which say things such as "thats all there is to it." Anytime someone says that it just says to me that they aren't prepared for a serious discussion.
  • justawitnessjustawitness Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I heard that every cash item can be bought with in-game currency. Sounds not P2W to me

Face piles of trials with smiles.
  • ivqancorpivqancorp Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It depends on your definition of Pay to Win.

If you feel that P2W means that you must pay in order to advance in the game and play all the content, then NO. There are none of those mechanics that require a cash shop item to level up. Nor are there any quests, dungeons or instances that you buy with cash.

If you feel that P2W means that you have to buy the best gear with cash, then NO. There are no uber armor or weapons for sale in the cash shop.

If you feel that P2W means that someone can pay and obtain something that grants in-game power advantages that they could not obtain from normal gameplay, then NO. The only possible exceptions I see are heal stones and rez scrolls. These are being looked at by the devs, but I don't count them as unbalancing advantages. Heal stones are better than healing pots because they heal you to full, but NW does not expect you to have full health bars all the time. The game isn't balanced for that. Just look at how Cleric heals work and you will see that they are not designed to keep you at full hit points, but rather to provide maintenance healing and lessen down time between encounters. I don't think one-shotting players is going to be much of an issue here and regular potions should be enough to keep you on your feet with smart play. Heal stones will help less skilled players keep up but won't make much difference for players who carefully avoid and mitigate damage. And rez scrolls simply don't add power to your character. They just save you from running back from spawn points and from repeating content because you died. They are purely a convenience item and don't make it easier for your character to survive in the first place.)

If you feel that P2W means that someone can pay and obtain something that grants in-game power advantages even if they could also obtain it from normal gameplay, then YES.

If you feel that P2W means that it is at all possible for a player to use cash to get something somehow and use it somewhere at some time, then YES. By that ridiculous definition Neverwinter is P2W.

If you feel that the ability to use cash to obtain in-game currency with which to buy powerful items is P2W, then YES. You can trade ZEN, purchased with cash, to another player on the Exchange in return for AD. You can then use AD to purchase gear from the auction house. I would point out, however, that you can only do this to obtain power from other players. Some player or players had to put in the work playing the game to generate the AD and also the loot sold on the auction house. You could obtain these items through direct trade or earn them yourself, so it never puts your character at an advantage over what some other player's character could have just gone out and earned in game. The proof of this is the fact that it was available for trade or sale on the auction house in the first place. So, I don't feel that is Pay to Win. I feel that it is Pay to be Equal.

And what is meant by "Winning" in this context? One can win a PvP match, but how does one win a Role Playing Game? The objective of a Role Playing Game is to have fun playing a role. If you enjoy yourself and use your character's abilities and/or give them a name, personality or backstory then congratulations. You win.

Really nice breakdown. Well said.
    edited April 2013
    I heard that every cash item can be bought with in-game currency. Sounds not P2W to me

That's strictly marketing and completely impractical. Do not be fooled.
  • timm4444timm4444 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 363
    edited April 2013
    That's strictly marketing and completely impractical. Do not be fooled.

But also 100% true. . .

and not that impractical if one spends the time. . .
    edited April 2013
    But also 100% true. . .

and not that impractical if one spends the time. . .

It takes months to farm even the most basic of items by just playing the game. I'm not sure how many players classify that as practical.
    edited April 2013
    It takes months to farm even the most basic of items by just playing the game. I'm not sure how many players classify that as practical.

Months?

Yesterday I farmed 19k rough AD in a hour. . .

and if it takes months thats fine. . . you're still paying, just in time not money. . .

And you don't need every sparkle pony to enjoy the game. . .Unless you are a collector
    edited April 2013
    Months?

and if it takes months thats fine. . . you're still paying, just in time not money. . .

And you don't need every sparkle pony to enjoy the game. . .Unless you are a collector

That sounds great and all, but 19k AD is 38 zen. That's 38 cents. You can't buy anything with that.
    edited April 2013
    Months?

I haven't played the game yet (waiting for the 30th) but having read some of your posts today I have the impression that you're one of the few people in here that has any clue about what he's talking about:). It's good to hear that extreme farming is not needed in order to obtain things that other people pay for with real money anyway
    edited April 2013
    That sounds great and all, but 19k AD is 38 zen. That's 38 cents. You can't buy anything with that.

in one hour. . .

an hour I spent not working for real money, but playing a game I enjoyed. . .
    edited April 2013
    I haven't played the game yet (waiting for the 30th) but having read some of your posts today I have the impression that you're one of the few people in here that has any clue about what he's talking about:). It's good to hear that extreme farming is not needed in order to obtain things that other people pay for with real money anyway

That's exactly the problem. Extreme farming is exactly what is required. The conversion limit is 24k AD per day and the current Zen : AD conversion rate is 500:1. That means you can make 48 cents a day by playing enough to farm to the CAP. You do the math.
    edited April 2013
    in one hour. . .

an hour I spent not working for real money, but playing a game I enjoyed. . .

Yes, and that's very close to the cap. At current conversion rates you can make 48 cents a day by farming to the CAP. At more generous conversion rates based on old Cryptic games you might be able to earn $1.20 per day... again by farming to the absolute cap with high time investment.
    edited April 2013
    That's exactly the problem. Extreme farming is exactly what is required. The conversion limit is 24k AD per day and the current Zen : AD conversion rate is 500:1. That means you can make 48 cents a day by playing enough to farm to the CAP. You do the math.
    Oh I didn't know there was a cap lol.Blaah I'll play the game and see what's up for my self:D
    edited April 2013

That math is based on a faulty premise.

The exchange rate is not set in stone.

after us founders blow through our bonus AD expect to see the exchange going through some wild swings till it stabilizes at a much lower rate.

STO and CO both had similar scenarios happen when they got exchanges, expect something similar here. . .
    edited April 2013
    Yes, and that's very close to the cap. At current conversion rates you can make 48 cents a day by farming to the CAP. At more generous conversion rates based on old Cryptic games you might be able to earn $1.20 per day... again by farming to the absolute cap with high time investment.

You missed the point, or chose to ignore it. . .

That one hour in which i got that 19K felt not like work, but like play.

My real life Job feels like work, and is more rewarding for time invested. . .So why would I invest time in something that felt like "Work" but with lower rewards?

So if I happily "farm" for a few months to get the latest "Leet" stuff what does it matter how long it took? If I enjoy the journey?
    edited April 2013
    That math is based on a faulty premise.

The exchange rate is not set in stone.

after us founders blow through our bonus AD expect to see the exchange going through some wild swings till it stabilizes at a much lower rate.

STO and CO both had similar scenarios happen when they got exchanges, expect something similar here. . .

Please read my subsequent reply in which I account for conversion rates based upon older cryptic games. It's not exactly a breathtaking difference.
    edited April 2013
    Please read my subsequent reply in which I account for conversion rates based upon older cryptic games. It's not exactly a breathtaking difference.

Except for the AH in neverwinter, large "jackpots" of AD might have some leverage on the exchange hmmm?
    edited April 2013
    You missed the point, or chose to ignore it. . .

That one hour in which i got that 19K felt not like work, but like play.

My real life Job feels like work, and is more rewarding for time invested. . .So why would I invest time in something that felt like "Work" but with lower rewards?

So if I happily "farm" for a few months to get the latest "Leet" stuff what does it matter how long it took? If I enjoy the journey?

Those scenarios are not based upon farming for "leet" stuff. They are about farming for basic items required to play the game on a regular level. The items earned through the zen store are not cosmetic - They are every day items such as the best potions.
    edited April 2013
    Those scenarios are not based upon farming for "leet" stuff. They are about farming for basic items required to play the game on a regular level. The items earned through the zen store are not cosmetic - They are every day items such as the best potions.

Soooo, one NEEDS those scrolls to even get into the endgame dungeons?

what you consider "Basic" I consider a crutch for casuals. . .
    edited April 2013
    Soooo, one NEEDS those scrolls to even get into the endgame dungeons?

what you consider "Basic" I consider a crutch for casuals. . .

Scrolls? I'm talking about potions, not scrolls. There was a much more detailed thread about this issue which I created in the beta forums. Alas, PWE chose to delete those forums because they were littered with valid criticism regarding their business model. The basic point is this - If you put the most powerful healing potion in the game in the cash shop, the players who care about performing on a high level WILL use it.

The faster the player base (and all players who care about their performance) clear the content, the faster the discontent on the forums will grow regarding how easy the content is. In the end, you cannot ignore the most powerful item in the game while balancing content regardless of whether it's in the cash shop or not. Content will eventually be balanced for the game that exists - and the game that exists includes the most powerful healing potion. That potion is ONLY available in the cash shop.
  • dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    stringse wrote: »
    I got so many people telling me that Neverwinter will be Pay to Win "don't play it". Honestly I don't believe but it does have me worried.

this is because of how cryptic and perfect world handled sto, specifically lock box ships like the jem'hadar heavy escort carrier, jem'hadar attack ships and jem'hadar attack ship pets as well as EVERYTHING in the lobi store.

most of that stuff is or very near to the best in the game, making it very p2w
  • dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Scrolls? I'm talking about potions, not scrolls. There was a much more detailed thread about this issue which I created in the beta forums. Alas, PWE chose to delete those forums because they were littered with valid criticism regarding their business model. The basic point is this - If you put the most powerful healing potion in the game in the cash shop, the players who care about performing on a high level WILL use it.

The faster the player base (and all players who care about their performance) clear the content, the faster the discontent on the forums will grow regarding how easy the content is. In the end, you cannot ignore the most powerful item in the game while balancing content regardless of whether it's in the cash shop or not. Content will eventually be balanced for the game that exists - and the game that exists includes the most powerful healing potion. That potion is ONLY available in the cash shop.

the reviews for this game will be interesting. it's cryptics first game since joining up with pwe and using their f2p models in both sto and co. i have a feeling that the absurd pricing of some of the items and the choices made with regards to bags, potions, id scrolls and the auction house currency are going to weigh heavy on it come metacritic time.