test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rar-Mobs & Bosses - Dropping Mounts and Companions

usagiandindexusagiandindex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
One thing i always liked in mmos was the chance of seeing an encounter leave something of true value behind, after we beat him to death.

so imagine this:
in the official dungeons, higher tier, with requirements and stuff for skill and technique for the group, is i.e. a wind-elemental, a giant tornado thing. its hard to kill. but in the end the 5 heroic players somehow managed to tear it apart and the lootwindow pops up. everyone is suddenly super excited because this tornado left one of his offsprings as a companion behind. very low dropchance, maybe between 0,5 and 5%. everyone needs it, because theres no other way to get this special companion. one gets it and the others decide: im totally going into that dungeon again.

it doesnt have to be a companion, if the boss is a boar or bear, he could leave a version of himself behind, player could ride.

2. Szenario:
you are out there somewhere in the desert or forrest, your character has maybe even already reached maximum level. the area you are exploring is totally <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, everywhere are elitemobs trying to get a slice of your fresh meat. barely able to move through that hellhole you see suddenly a freaking unicorn walk around. it looks really nice and beautiful and you kill it. it drops a token of itself. this extremly rare unicorn spawns only at nights with full-moon and after you sacrificed a goat. (an a sidenote: i totally want to play a warlock). it is not easy to find it, it takes time and patience and the spawnchance of that unicorn is very low too.

of course that unicorn could be a tornado and leave a companion instead of a mount behind.

like i said, i like those kinds of hard-to-get things, they make me want to see content again, of course to some degree it means grinding and farming. i havent seen the endcontent, the areas and dungeons, so maybe something like that already found its way into the game. if not, we could discuss whether or not we would like to see that.

so what are your thoughts on this topic?
Post edited by usagiandindex on

Comments

• vernedndvernednd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 215 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    I like the idea of rare mobs with specific drops, but have seen it be abused typically.

1) The megaserver with multiple instances will encourage players to jump instances to farm these mobs.

2) If they are not bound on pick up they will be farmed for sure.

3) If they are bound on pick up and only appear on specific scenarios then expect camping. Lots of players camping.

It would be neat if we could incorporate something like this into the foundry quests, but from my understanding of what has been released UGC authors cannot assign gear.

What I think could work in this game with your ideas would be to have to collect specific drops from various zones starting at higher level and working your way back through lower level content to unlock an instance that would have the rare spawn. That way it gets higher level characters to go back through low level content (at least for this 'quest').

Cheers!
    Fighter.jpg
  • starkaosstarkaos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yeah no. This idea is almost as bad as rats and wolves dropping gold and armor. Gold makes some sense since it is shiny, but having armor that is twice as big as the creature carrying it makes no sense. Companions and Mounts are too big and anything that can hold them would be more likely to have a nice snack. The whole idea of getting an offspring from a dead boss is too risky. You killed their parent so chances are they will kill you at some point in the future.

They could add companions and mounts to the seal store or have some reward based on doing certain dungeon achievements like 50 Heroic runs would give a unique mount.
  • jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm not sure if I'd want mounts/companions dropping from mobs. with Mounts a type of profession could be introduced like a Tamer where the person can hit the wilds and try to tame animals for mounts. Another profession could be Leadership where the person talks to NPC's attempting to acquire them as companions. These special animals/npcs could have a certain icon denoting the profession needed.
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
  • ladydwarfladydwarf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm not sure how it could be implemented without encouraging instance-hopping, but I've always been a fan of rare mobs with unique loot. One of my favorite pastimes in World of Warcraft was solo hunting an old level 60 blue dragon raid boss with my warlock. He roamed around a large area and it was always fun to wander around looking for him.

Then they remade the whole game world and took my dragon away, and I was sad. :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Learn more about this heretical halfling on the Neverwinter Hall of Records or Neverwinter Roleplayers
  • jinnixijinnixi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 58
    edited April 2013
    hmm dropping a companion would be awesome if only for a event boss and dropping mounts...just sounds stupid
    fs.png
  • usagiandindexusagiandindex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    vernednd wrote: »
    I like the idea of rare mobs with specific drops, but have seen it be abused typically.

1) The megaserver with multiple instances will encourage players to jump instances to farm these mobs.

2) If they are not bound on pick up they will be farmed for sure.

3) If they are bound on pick up and only appear on specific scenarios then expect camping. Lots of players camping.

It would be neat if we could incorporate something like this into the foundry quests, but from my understanding of what has been released UGC authors cannot assign gear.

What I think could work in this game with your ideas would be to have to collect specific drops from various zones starting at higher level and working your way back through lower level content to unlock an instance that would have the rare spawn. That way it gets higher level characters to go back through low level content (at least for this 'quest').

Cheers!

i agree, turning the farming of a low dropchance into an epic-questline would change the experience from simply redoing the mechanics again and again into more of an adventure. it would be similiar to the old epic-mount questlines in wow, but without the restrictions for one class.
    if the chance of getting one as a worlddrop is implemented, players will go after it and do almost anything to optimize their chances, just like you said. so the question is: how do you get the players to spend the time in the world, not wait for the teleport into the dungeon-zone? maybe by making it neccessary to summon the boss with a variety of items, purchased or found in different zones. but in that case a group of players would simply get the materials needed and do 5 runs in a row.
    ladydwarf wrote: »
    I'm not sure how it could be implemented without encouraging instance-hopping, but I've always been a fan of rare mobs with unique loot. One of my favorite pastimes in World of Warcraft was solo hunting an old level 60 blue dragon raid boss with my warlock. He roamed around a large area and it was always fun to wander around looking for him.

Then they remade the whole game world and took my dragon away, and I was sad. :(

are you talking about one of the 4 dragons, the worldboss in azshara? loved to go after him too, but i wasn't the only one, so it was always a gamble if he'd be there.
    jinnixi wrote: »
    hmm dropping a companion would be awesome if only for a event boss and dropping mounts...just sounds stupid

these kind of companions would by default be "rare", but it would take away any sort of accomplishment and turn it into almost pure luck. the restriction of the dropchance would, in addition, have the restriction of the event taking place, maybe once a year, or maybe just once.

having companions/mounts as the loot of a boss, is tricky. the dungeon would have to be hard or long enough for players not to be able to rush through it, making their way to the boss, killing him and simply reseting the instance after 15 minutes. that's why most the games i played used that approach for endbosses.
    as for the worlddrop approach, i think that one was a bad idea ;)
  • bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I wouldn't mind this. Its in every MMO I've ever played, usually in raids or hard dungeons. If it isn't I don't care either. Gives replay value to some content if a rare chance to drop. Open world bossess, not sure how this could work with it being one server. Just have to wait an see.
  • arnathosarnathos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    vernednd wrote: »

Cheers!

I really like this Idea, at max level you come across a patron in a tavern that speaks of a legend. You do some follow up on the legend by going to the location where said legend begun. You then get a quest, depending on the choices you make in this quest you get a reward specific to the decision made which also can only be obtain through said quest. This quest should also no be repeatable.

I fell as many other do about drops/farming, I am not for this form of gaining treasure/rewards. I much prefer getting coin through bounty and loot through questing and adventuring.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]