test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GWF Tanking

darkgeardesignsdarkgeardesigns Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 43
edited March 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Yes I plan on it (I have a thing for oddball class makeups)

Anyone have any insight to this. I figure we should have a thread dedicated to it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by darkgeardesigns on

Comments

• elspethtirelnwelspethtirelnw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    I plan on doing a bit of the same, although I did not attempt to test the defensive capabilities of the class this past beta weekend. Still, looking over the feats did raise some concerns and questions. I'm also not sure how effectively we'll be able to utilize determination in the role, as opposed to how well it works down the paragon Destroyer tree.

My intent is not to replace a Guardian Fighter in the end game, although I'd like to strike a balance between survival and damage output. You can find some of my thoughts on the class, which I posted in response to another thread, located here. I did manage to reach level 50 this past beta weekend, so my feedback is generally focused on my experiences at that level range.
    | Banners of the Light | Recruitment is open | End Game PvE and PvP |
    | Lust | Level 60 Guardian Fighter 15.8k GS|
  • volcxxxvolcxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    no chance to be effective tank as GWF.
    I leveled to 50 with tanking path, it just not good enough to be effective.
    off-tank? yes, its doable with high life steal (managed to get +7% and worked well), defence and deflection
    Last trait (sentinel aegis, 20% more effective defence) doesnt work at BW3 (i didnt see any difference when i took it).
    5cm82e.jpg
    Old "Blood and Sand: Unchained" quest
    Played more than 100 000 times!
    > TRY IT NOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ecy4o6JqLc
  • jimhonjimhon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 50
    edited March 2013
    Insight?

Well, I assume you're aware this isn't an optimal path to take. The Fighter class has been split into two classes to make things more simple. Guardian got the tanking stuff. GWF did not.

You can't taunt and hold aggro, your CON stat doesn't give you the full defensive bonus' a guardian gets and instead gives armor penetration, you can't mark targets to help coordinate the party.

It's just a bad idea, really. You can build defensively at the cost of damage and maybe you'll end up with more overall damage because you didn't die quickly like the offensive build, giving you more time to catch up to a DPS build. But the DPS build is probably playing properly and sprinting away from damage and leaving you in the dust with his damage.

Meanwhile your team wants a tank still who can block attacks and not suck at tanking. :P

You might as well make a tanking mage and be even more oddball if that's all you want. xD

The game is just not designed for interesting builds. It's like picking wizard in diablo3 and trying to roll a barb with it. They're templates. It sucks, too. I wish I could just take Fighter and build him how I want but that's just the way it is. Accessible tho! It's easy to roll a good tank cos you just pick good tank.
  • dddeemmdddeemm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19
    edited March 2013
    While truth, is stupid design.

Stupid because on the source material, classes do their role no matter the build. Even with deep optimization you cannot just shut the role for a class.
  • darkgeardesignsdarkgeardesigns Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 43
    edited March 2013
    jimhon wrote: »
    Insight?

Well, I assume you're aware this isn't an optimal path to take. The Fighter class has been split into two classes to make things more simple. Guardian got the tanking stuff. GWF did not.

You can't taunt and hold aggro, your CON stat doesn't give you the full defensive bonus' a guardian gets and instead gives armor penetration, you can't mark targets to help coordinate the party.

It's just a bad idea, really. You can build defensively at the cost of damage and maybe you'll end up with more overall damage because you didn't die quickly like the offensive build, giving you more time to catch up to a DPS build. But the DPS build is probably playing properly and sprinting away from damage and leaving you in the dust with his damage.

Meanwhile your team wants a tank still who can block attacks and not suck at tanking. :P

You might as well make a tanking mage and be even more oddball if that's all you want. xD

The game is just not designed for interesting builds. It's like picking wizard in diablo3 and trying to roll a barb with it. They're templates. It sucks, too. I wish I could just take Fighter and build him how I want but that's just the way it is. Accessible tho! It's easy to roll a good tank cos you just pick good tank.

My main thoughts for this is that the more I look at this the more it seems like it would compliment the GF. However much remains to be seen at the lvl 60 range

I dont expect to be on par with GF tanks however I run with a group of friends and we will likely be in a party of 4-6 non stop once launch hits. Only one of us plans to play the Guardian fighter so having me able to tank non instance content for the group is the key for me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cerek2cerek2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 62
    edited March 2013
    You can strike a nice balance of dealing damage and taking damage with the class. Most people just ignore the defenses entirely and then complain they are potion-popping-addicts. Under normal circumstances, our damage avoidance mechanic is mobility, but in order to melee you *will* get hit. So all you have to help you when you do get hit is popping potions and passive defenses. I, for one, plan to go after a nice balance. I know my roll isn't to be the first line tank, but peeling all them adds off the squishies is something that is expected of the GWF and if Big Boss Man is on a squishie, all bets are off, you have to try and get that bad boy on you.
  • kurtixwarlordkurtixwarlord Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Im the only one who try the encounter skill that buff your defense in a number based in how strong are the enemies around you? last for 2/3 of the CD, and with the Demon Overlords of the event near Helm's Hold it drop their DMG in more or less 40% (from 1900 to 1100) add in your movility and your ready to go.

Ill too go for balance with this class, and i see that the stats of items go in "pre-defined packs", one of the most usefull i think is is the power/defense/deflect one.