test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Observations from BW2 and BW3

ethoirethoir Member Posts: 1 Arc User
edited November 2014 in Bug Reports (PC)
This is a list of things that were observed during the Beta Weekends which may or may not have been reported (I searched at least for one of them but the top posts weren't relevant to the specific issue).
  • The first Sewer Rats dungeon. If you're in a party and two different people have the keys, the second gate blocking the entrance to the Boss may not drop (you can't hear it lowering during the cutscene closeup of the boss), thus preventing your team from entering the room to fight him. The only fix is to leave the entire dungeon (run to the starting tunnel to leave) and re-enter it then try that boss gate again.
  • Dragon's Bridge: the NPC following you may "slide" up next to you during the cutscene instead of walk up.
  • Sometimes you may run across invisible enemy NPCs. This is rather random. You can still kill them by looking for the red circles on the floor that signifies their location. Most noted in the Nasher mobs.
  • Great Weapon Fighter: When you switch to the Peasants Clothes costume, your attack animations turn into you swinging your empty hands around. In short, your sword becomes invisible. but you can still see the "swoosh" FX of your swings and deal damage as normal. If you don't mind attacking with a ghost sword. Especially hilarious if you start charging Reaping Strike (like laser pulses are coming out of your bare hands).
  • The Race event with the snowy mountain (I forget its name) is badly broken. Queued players sent into the map are immediately kicked back out as soon as they zone-in. As such they are unable to participate. (Filed in-game as ticket 1532808)
  • At one point I had a client crash while talking to an NPC in the market of Protector's Enclave. It even had a Windows dialog box. The exact error is as follows. "Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code (E_OUTOFMEMORY) while creating a texture. - Technical Details: E_OUTOFMEMORY while creating 2D texture size 2048 x 2048 (12 mips, RTEX_DXT5), 701.66 MB RAM, 94.82 MB virtual space available." The Cryptic Error Reporter came up afterward and I was attempting to fill it out, but it closed too. Either it uploaded the dump already or it just crashed.

That's about it. After that client crash I adjusted the in-game graphics settings to reflect my video card's physical graphics memory(1024+ MB) to see if that would help. Other players reading this, could you quote issues you've already reported to help raise the awareness of the issue?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• n1ghtm4skn1ghtm4sk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The Race event with the snowy mountain (I forget its name) is badly broken. Queued players sent into the map are immediately kicked back out as soon as they zone-in. As such they are unable to participate.

Confirmed.
    Tried it 3 or 4 times with the same results. (made a bug report)
    By the way I think it's called "Race to the peak" if I'm correct.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mogwaimogwai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ethoir wrote: »
    [*]Dragon's Bridge: the NPC following you may "slide" up next to you during the cutscene instead of walk up.

[*]Sometimes you may run across invisible enemy NPCs. This is rather random. You can still kill them by looking for the red circles on the floor that signifies their location. Most noted in the Nasher mobs.

[*]Great Weapon Fighter: When you switch to the Peasants Clothes costume, your attack animations turn into you swinging your empty hands around. In short, your sword becomes invisible. but you can still see the "swoosh" FX of your swings and deal damage as normal. If you don't mind attacking with a ghost sword. Especially hilarious if you start charging Reaping Strike (like laser pulses are coming out of your bare hands).

[*]At one point I had a client crash while talking to an NPC in the market of Protector's Enclave. It even had a Windows dialog box. The exact error is as follows. "Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code (E_OUTOFMEMORY) while creating a texture. - Technical Details: E_OUTOFMEMORY while creating 2D texture size 2048 x 2048 (12 mips, RTEX_DXT5), 701.66 MB RAM, 94.82 MB virtual space available." The Cryptic Error Reporter came up afterward and I was attempting to fill it out, but it closed too. Either it uploaded the dump already or it just crashed.
    [/LIST]

very similar here, it's because i ran a graphics card WAY below minimum requirements
    mmorpg is R'lyehian for: Innumerable quantities of grown babies
    discussing & often complaining about the imaginary.
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1618000&dateline=1316204434[/SIGPIC]
  • ethoirethoir Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I run with an XFX Radeon HD 6850 with 1 gig of GDDR5 memory on board. That should be well above the recommended requirements for the game and yet here I am with little visual goofs popping up in the game (and the one crash). :)
  • darray1darray1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ethoir wrote: »
    [*]At one point I had a client crash while talking to an NPC in the market of Protector's Enclave. It even had a Windows dialog box. The exact error is as follows. "Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code (E_OUTOFMEMORY) while creating a texture. - Technical Details: E_OUTOFMEMORY while creating 2D texture size 2048 x 2048 (12 mips, RTEX_DXT5), 701.66 MB RAM, 94.82 MB virtual space available." The Cryptic Error Reporter came up afterward and I was attempting to fill it out, but it closed too. Either it uploaded the dump already or it just crashed.

I am having the same issue. Brought all the graphics levels down as low as they would go and I still get that error.
  • yuram88yuram88 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    942718_444069612353510_1051448416_n.jpg

And then? what can be done to solve the problem?
  • mykey1974mykey1974 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've had a similar "Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code (E_OUTOFMEMORY) while creating a texture." crash many times. It seems to always happen in or around the Seven Suns Coster Market. The latest was... "(12 mips, RTEX_DXT1), 780.68 MB RAM, 90.08 MB virtual space available". My question for this would be, 'What end is this on? Is it on my end or your end that is causing the problem?'

I've tried downloading the Direct3D driver again but that did not work. It still crashes with the same Fatal Error in or around the market. Very strange...
  • nobl4nobl4 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mykey1974 wrote: »
    I've had a similar "Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code (E_OUTOFMEMORY) while creating a texture." crash many times. It seems to always happen in or around the Seven Suns Coster Market. The latest was... "(12 mips, RTEX_DXT1), 780.68 MB RAM, 90.08 MB virtual space available". My question for this would be, 'What end is this on? Is it on my end or your end that is causing the problem?'

I've tried downloading the Direct3D driver again but that did not work. It still crashes with the same Fatal Error in or around the market. Very strange...

Im getting this error as well. Repeatedly. :mad:
  • wilderosewilderose Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have also gotten the E_OUTOFMEMORY error message in a windows box - it has happened twice and my graphics card is well above minimum requirements for the game.
  • jcastellesejcastellese Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Does anyone know if there was resolution on this? It's now June 15, a few days before live release, and I'm still experiencing this E_OUTOFMEMORY error.
  • gartenigarteni Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It's now June 17th and if they solved it in the dev environment in the next hour I doubt they would have time to push the bits out to production.
    I'm also getting the E_OUTOFMEMORY error mostly in the main town. Their Star Trek game has reports of the same problem.
    I can think of a few ways of finding the bug in code and will likely do so at home. But not for free. I glanced a memory when it happened last time and DirectX is properly reporting it and not actually allocating the memory. Instead it creating a soft crash which is not being handled correctly by code. I could point the dev's to a few papers on how to pinpoint it and thus resolve it if they are interested.

7y1llsn5bazpga005y_E_OUTOFMEMORY.jpg

It's a great game. I hope they spend some cycles on this and resolve it once and for all. In worst case at least trap the error instead of letting DirectX pop up that dialog. It won't stop me from playing but it will likely stop me from spending anymore money on it.
  • epidemionepidemion Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    garteni wrote: »
    It's now June 17th and if they solved it in the dev environment in the next hour I doubt they would have time to push the bits out to production.
    I'm also getting the E_OUTOFMEMORY error mostly in the main town. Their Star Trek game has reports of the same problem.
    I can think of a few ways of finding the bug in code and will likely do so at home. But not for free. I glanced a memory when it happened last time and DirectX is properly reporting it and not actually allocating the memory. Instead it creating a soft crash which is not being handled correctly by code. I could point the dev's to a few papers on how to pinpoint it and thus resolve it if they are interested.

7y1llsn5bazpga005y_E_OUTOFMEMORY.jpg

It's a great game. I hope they spend some cycles on this and resolve it once and for all. In worst case at least trap the error instead of letting DirectX pop up that dialog. It won't stop me from playing but it will likely stop me from spending anymore money on it.

I use an HD6850, which is a DX11 card. I had been running in DX9, not knowing how to switch to 11. I edited the file C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\Neverwinter\Live\Localdata\Gameprefs.Pref in notepad and changed this line:

PrefEntry GfxSettings.DeviceType Direct3D9

From Direct3D9 to Direct3D11. The text is clearer, the quality is better, my card runs a little cooler, and I no longer get crashes or blank screens when I alt-tab from and back to the game client. Hope this helps someone out there. I also hear you can edit that Direct3d option when you do troubleshooting in the client, I haven't tried it myself though.

Update: It is better to change this value within the client under Video -> Troubleshooting, as it will rewrite the prefs file upon closing the client and you will just have to do it again. Also, this solution continues to work for me, I have no more graphical instabilities or crashes .
  • aldinn1aldinn1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    epidemion wrote: »
    I use an HD6850, which is a DX11 card. I had been running in DX9, not knowing how to switch to 11. I edited the file C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\Neverwinter\Live\Localdata\Gameprefs.Pref in notepad and changed this line:

PrefEntry GfxSettings.DeviceType Direct3D9

From Direct3D9 to Direct3D11. The text is clearer, the quality is better, my card runs a little cooler, and I no longer get crashes or blank screens when I alt-tab from and back to the game client. Hope this helps someone out there. I also hear you can edit that Direct3d option when you do troubleshooting in the client, I haven't tried it myself though.

Update: It is better to change this value within the client under Video -> Troubleshooting, as it will rewrite the prefs file upon closing the client and you will just have to do it again. Also, this solution continues to work for me, I have no more graphical instabilities or crashes .

attachment.php?attachmentid=24341&stc=1&d=1417394222
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Holy smokes, what a necro. Grumpy God of Death is not pleased. Then again, he's never pleased. After all, he's GRUMPY.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
This discussion has been closed.