test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Regarding Mounts in Founder's Pack

auroraeinzoxauroraeinzox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 78
edited March 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
The mount merchant has Mount Training 2 and Mount Training 3 which raises the rank of the mount to Rank 2 and 3 respectively. So are the mounts in the Heroes of the North Founders pack and Guardian pack immediately Rank 3 or do we still have to train those mounts with Mount Training 2 and 3 from the mount merchant? Thanks. :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• auroraeinzoxauroraeinzox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 78
    edited March 2013
    Wonder if anyone has any idea on this?
  • digidagdigidag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 60
    edited March 2013
    I would imagine the mounts scale with your proficiency. So when you buy Training 2, it upgrades the speed to that of Level 2. And the same goes for Training 3. Would be odd to see level 20s riding around on the fastest mounts available right away, no?
    edited March 2013
    digidag wrote: »
    I would imagine the mounts scale with your proficiency. So when you buy Training 2, it upgrades the speed to that of Level 2. And the same goes for Training 3. Would be odd to see level 20s riding around on the fastest mounts available right away, no?

Ah.. means we need to spend more Astral Diamonds.. Was about to get the Hero of the North pack.. but I doubt I will be getting it now.. Will be great if we can purchase the mount training with in-game gold instead of limiting it to Astral Diamonds.. Thanks for answering though. :)
  • digidagdigidag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 60
    edited March 2013
    Well, supposedly there are several ways to earn them in-game. Specific quests, Invoking your God and a bunch of other nonsense. Although I do not recall the exact methods. I would guess these methods become more prominent as you level up though. I never thought about the AD cost, to be honest. Mostly because it's a big non-issue to me. I would imagine it gets quite a pain seeing as you don't gain them very quickly at the lower levels.
    edited March 2013
    Mount Training Rank 2 requires 700 000++ Astral Diamonds.. Mount Training Rank 3 requires 4 000 000++ Astral Diamonds.. which is kinda on the high side..
    edited March 2013
    That does seem a little bit high. Would love to see a bit more clarification on this subject as well honestly. I mean there's not much we know about mounts other than that they exist, and are pretty expensive.
    edited March 2013
    Got to level 39 in-game.. with quests and prayer.. I only manage to get 3000 Astral Diamonds.. This is nearly impossible for normal players to get 700 000++ Astral Diamonds for Mount Training 2 and 4 000 000++ Astral Diamonds for Mount Training 3. Mount Training 2 is for level 40 and Training 3 is for Level 60. I am 1 level away from level 40 and only managed to get 3000 Astral Diamonds (without spending it on anything).

Only the most basic and slowest mount can be purchased with in-game gold.. Higher tier mounts and mount training requires ridiculous amount of Astral Diamonds.. which means players are forced to use Astral Diamonds if they wish to have a faster mount.. It'd be good if they can have an alternate option for players to purchase mount training and higher tier mounts with in-game gold. And even if in-game gold option ever happens, it'd have to be reasonable and not make it near impossible.

Oh well.. Maybe I will ask this question on their customer support and see what is their reply.
    edited March 2013
    They did say Mounts are something special, in one of their development posts. A thing to work towards, and are not supposed to just be another point along the way like many games use it as these days. Although, who knows. This could change a few months after launch because people complain.
    edited March 2013
    They did say Mounts are something special, in one of their development posts. A thing to work towards, and are not supposed to just be another point along the way like many games use it as these days. Although, who knows. This could change a few months after launch because people complain.

Well.. nobody can predict the future. Lol. Anyway.. if they said mounts are something special.. then shouldn't mounts not be in the cash shop? It's nothing special when anybody with money can buy them via cash shop. There are also rank 3 mounts in cash shop that cost 4000 zen (US$40). And I don't see anything special regarding mounts in Neverwinter.. except for faster travelling.. at the moment.. though it may change during the full release. I know of a game whereby you can ride the mounts and the mounts will also fight with you in your battles. You can feed, breed and play with them too but I doubt these will happen in Neverwinter.. so Neverwinter mounts are actually nothing special except for faster travelling.
    edited March 2013
    More like a special event, rather than your average "yay, you got it. Now shut up" approach games take with mounts. They tend to hand them out for free. Also, I would say $40 is a rather steep price for a mount. Not sure how you value your money, but I would rather grind up in-game currency.
  • infi321infi321 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    To me the entire Zen Market comes off as quite money grubbing....

Riding skill? Thats like basic stuff everybody should get via ingame currency....
    "Your story may not last forever; but it will exist forever"
    edited March 2013
    And you can. Just need to farm up about a few months worth of Astral Diamonds. :rolleyes:
  • maverickwerewolfmaverickwerewolf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 36
    edited March 2013
    I'm guessing astral diamonds will probably end up being like the various seals and stuff you earned from heroics in WoW. Except, hopefully, we'll earn them a little faster.

So yeah, definitely lots of grinding. And keeping an eye on your hourly invocation, or whatever it was called, and hoping you get lucky enough to get a handful of astral diamonds each time. :p
    Dedicated NWN roleplayer for 7+ years, the Village of Creation (VoC) server
  • wesgarwesgar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    infi321 wrote: »
    To me the entire Zen Market comes off as quite money grubbing....

For better or worse, ( personally I wish the game was subscription based,) Perfect World has found success with the 'find the whales' approach to earning their coin.

This means, that they count on a very small amount of the population to spend vast sums of money in order to support the very large free player population.

the nice thing that you see in this game, that may be missing in some of the other Perfect World offerings, are the 'middle of the road' products available.

this looks like perhaps Cryptic is doing it's best to educate Perfect world on what works in the western world as far as micro transactions are concerned. Or perhaps PWE is learning this on it's own.

keeping the price low, and having lots and lots of players buy the products. (think apples app store, where so many things sell for small amounts of money.)

so, ya, your seeing what has worked for Perfect world in other games, mixed in with offering a more 'western gamer' friendly approach. but that does mean some extraordinarily high priced offerings on the market.

I honestly hope that they find their 'pace' with this game - I'd like to see it well financed, and lot's of development continued to be pumped into this fine offering.

though I certainly prefer 'subscription' based games, it's a new world on that front - and I highly doubt that you'll be seeing many more 'subscription' based games released in the future.

Of course Defiance has to go and defy me on that statement.... :-P

but odd's are that even THAT will be free to play within a year from release. 2 max.

I wish them luck on figuring out what it is that gamers want, and what they are willing to pay for! personally, I hope that the 'keep it low and more people will buy' philosophy will hold out over the 'find the whales willing to pay vast sums of money for digital goods' theory that has worked for them in other games.

I think that we ALL will get to vote on that come release. (with how we spend our money of course,)

Good luck!
    Thanks,

zWolf / Wesgar

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • starkaosstarkaos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I think Mount Training is so that your mount is trained to be as effective as a level 40 or level 60 mount. Not entirely sure about C-Store Mounts, but either they start off as a level 60 mount that you can ride at level 20 or when you hit level 40 and level 60 they go faster. If I pay $40 for my Armored Howler, then I shouldn't spend AD to increase its effectiveness.
    edited March 2013
    wesgar wrote: »
    Of course Defiance has to go and defy me on that statement.... :-P
    ... Actually, Defiance is just like GW2/GW/TSW. You purchase it and are free to play it whenever without additional subscription fees.

Anyway, I'd prefer they went with a slightly less abysmally expensive approach. But eh, I guess RaiderZ with the $20 mounts worked so well they were willing to double this. (In all honesty though, I may spend $40 on a mount myself if I ever see one I really like as long as they unlock account-wide).
  • iymalaiymala Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    (In all honesty though, I may spend $40 on a mount myself if I ever see one I really like as long as they unlock account-wide).

I think that is a great point, I have seen other games charge different prices for "unlocks". For example it is $20 for a mount for 1 character but you can unlock the mount for your whole account if you pay $40. I think they would sell more of both options that way and you would feel like you are getting more for your money with the account unlock.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited March 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    I think Mount Training is so that your mount is trained to be as effective as a level 40 or level 60 mount. Not entirely sure about C-Store Mounts, but either they start off as a level 60 mount that you can ride at level 20 or when you hit level 40 and level 60 they go faster. If I pay $40 for my Armored Howler, then I shouldn't spend AD to increase its effectiveness.

Nope. This is standard industry stuff; Mount Training lets you ride higher-tier mounts. If you want a higher tier mount (faster speed, higher resistance to forced dismount), you'll have to both buy the appropriate level of Mount Training *AND* buy an appropriate mount.

It's how most games handle mounts. If you want Cryptic to do it differently, now's the time to start presenting your arguments as to why it's in their best interest.
  • braxzanabraxzana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    To throw salt on the wounds, it READS like you pay 4 million astral diamonds to rank ONE mount up to rank 3... which means if you had a second mount it would cost another 4 million astral diamonds (on top of the 750,000 or so to get rank 2). Now it's possible that it's just worded poorly and you, the character, have rank 3 riding and whatever mount you ride is that fast... but considering it would be far more profitable to make us pay 4,750,000 astral diamonds PER MOUNT, I fear that's the more likely case.
  • iymalaiymala Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    braxzana wrote: »
    To throw salt on the wounds, it READS like you pay 4 million astral diamonds to rank ONE mount up to rank 3... which means if you had a second mount it would cost another 4 million astral diamonds (on top of the 750,000 or so to get rank 2). Now it's possible that it's just worded poorly and you, the character, have rank 3 riding and whatever mount you ride is that fast... but considering it would be far more profitable to make us pay 4,750,000 astral diamonds PER MOUNT, I fear that's the more likely case.
    The salt.... it stings.

I really hope this is not the case and was curious about that as well. I would also love an answer to the Founder's mounts. Is the mount rank up a rank up on your character to affect all mount speed... which would make sense you could ride the Founder's mounts at whatever level and use that to rank up the speed of them and all other mounts, or would you need that just to ride the fancier mounts? Or yet again... would you have to purchase that per mount to increase their speed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Obviously, I didn't try it first hand, but I believe the mount training was to "uprank" a mount to the next speed. So if, by chance, you had a really cool mount, but the speed was lower, you could pay to "uprank" the speed. Otherwise, it seemed to me that as long as you were the correct level and purchased the correct mount, you were set.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • umbravenatorumbravenator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Exact prices from BW3 for training:

Rank 2 - 768,000 Astral Diamonds
    Rank 3 - 4,128,000 Astral Diamonds

This would be an ultimate buzzkill if we had to purchase rank 3 training to ride our spiders at top speed (or be super slow)...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited March 2013
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Obviously, I didn't try it first hand, but I believe the mount training was to "uprank" a mount to the next speed.

Please stop restating this; it's incorrect information. That, as in almost all MMOs with mounts, is for MOUNT SKILL upgrades. I.E., the skill needed to use faster/better mounts. It's completely independent of the mounts themselves. You've already been told this.
  • svzurich7svzurich7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Good news! From the Extended FAQ page located here: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?18401-Neverwinter-Extended-FAQ&p=297581&viewfull=1#post297581
    What Ranks are the Unique Armored Spider Mount and Unique Armored Horse Mount from the Hero of the North and Guardian of Neverwinter Founder's Packs, and can those ranks be increased through training?

The Unique Armored Spider Mount and Unique Armored Horse Mount are both Rank 3, at max speed, and do not need to be trained.