test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Does size matter?

muppetz3muppetz3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
edited April 2013 in The Temple
Does the size of the player make it harder or easier to target for healing? Like would a halfling tank be hard to target a heal?
Post edited by muppetz3 on

Comments

• Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    muppetz3 wrote: »
    Does the size of the player make it harder or easier to target for healing? Like would a halfling tank be hard to target a heal?

a VERY valid concern considering their use of this targeting system.

That's another reason why I don't like the way they have done the target system. Last night it was apparent, went running with a group in cloak tower couldn't target the correct person half the time. I just finally gave up when I was in the boss room because everyone was so crowded together my heals weren't going to the right people except when i did the whole AOE heal.

I tried to target the specific person but half the time they dodged out of the way and it hit someone else, and then when I tried using the beam abilities it was even worse which is why I would suggest they do this.....

Include code into the heals that will make them go to the person with the lowest hitpoints. It's only fair since we can't target like normal and the heals go all over the place but where we need them and we can't click on the icon of the person in the party ui like a traditional mmo.
  • Options
    ahkronnemesisahkronnemesis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    For what I could see one can't get a really different size on the char. The size can change but not that much.
    The way that targeting works on the game is not a "true aim" but rather a "soft targeting". If you point near the target, the target will get selected. Actually, if you keep you fire button down, the target will be followed by the reticle, keeping the target on.

My opinion is that size doesn't matter that much in this game, both pvp and pve.
    [Campaign] Into the Heart of Time (NWS-DLSK763NH) by @ahkronnemesis
    Chapter I - The Cult of Kairos (NW-DJFINX9KB)
    Chapter II - The Halls of Mortality (NW-DOE3ZC671)
    Chapter III - Paradox ( Soon )
  • Options
    mistressphoenixmistressphoenix Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Size doesn't seem to be as much of an issue as location. When you're in a huge battle and the only person that is not melee and you're trying to hit the tank, who's half dead, and everyone else is getting in the way, it's very annoying. Especially if you're also busy kiting all the weenie mobs that keep spawning...
  • Options
    healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    My opinion is that size doesn't matter that much in this game, both pvp and pve.

What about if you attempt to heal a halfling/dwarf who be right next to a half orc? (O.O)
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • Options
    xaciusxacius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 50
    edited March 2013
    They had a similar targeting system in TERA and I never had a problem getting the correct heals going to the person in need. However something seems a tad bit amiss here as it can be a nightmare. I think part of the problem compared to say TERA was is when you activated the heal and then swooped over a friendly target it went off and didn't target the baddy. However here..it seems to target the baddy as well, so your mousing all over the place trying to get to the right person.

If they simply put an activate on it negating baddies. Otherwise your going to be using nothing but AOE's just to try and get to the right person. It shouldn't be too bad if you run with a group of friends and can plan your moves out accordingly..but when you with a group of random people that do an enourmous amount of random shieet it's going to become a monster pita.

Ultimately...I'de love to see them put in a focus target system at the very least or possibly be able to scroll through you party members. I understand the whole dynamic combat system yadda yadda and that would take "away" from that a tad bit..but there seems to be a big difference in targeting from this game to the other games I've played with dynamic combat systems.

This about a mass pvp battle..no way your getting that heal to the correct person.simply no way other than dumb luck.
  • Options
    nikadaemusnikadaemus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 201 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Well the recticle already 'stickies' onto a possible target. Guess the answer would have to do with hit-box size. Always something valid in PvP and I suppose from a Cleric's standpoint.

My biggest issue was all those companions. If you are in a pug, you don't really know visually (or even by name lol) who is PC and who is NPC
  • Options
    baka777baka777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Both avatar size & companion interference are genuine concerns, and why I proposed/favor changing Healing Word into a small short-range cone effect rather than individual effect. To compensate for the ability to hit multiple targets, they could simply remove the 3 charges and make it a single use on a timer like most of the other skills.
  • Options
    derresshderressh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If nothing gets changed about this, you can always tell your group at the start of the run that if they are low on health and want heals, they need to step back from the mayhem and into your line of sight (in the case of a flanking rogue or something) for a moment. Once you get a target on them, you can hold CTRL and have a hard lock on them until you release the key.
  • Options
    mothdrumsmothdrums Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I had no trouble targeting friends any more than I did enemy's in pvp. Sure heals missed my target some times as he move in and another got it. But meh, some one got healed. When it really counted I enjoyed the challenge and got right into melee range and made sure I got the heal on.
    enginsizesig2_zps97620aec.jpg
  • Options
    bardbarianbardbarian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The targeting system seemed forgiving enough that I don't see size being the major problem. I think the main problem is going to be people not adjusting to this system. From the delves and skirmishes I participated in, the people that ran somewhere the cleric could target them lived and the people that stayed in the fight surrounded by allies died. It got better at higher levels and in later beta weekends, so that gives me hope that people are acclimating to this system.
  • Options
    libertine17libertine17 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Having played healers in a lot of MMOs and having looked at combat in this game, I think the key will be to stop trying to stand in the background and heal and instead get into the mix and get close to your healing target. Given the direction the devs are going in this game I wouldn't expect to see any form of tab targetting for party members.
  • Options
    bardbarianbardbarian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'll agree with libertine. I was constantly running in, dropping an AoE encounter and then pulling back to a safe distance. Drop some seals/other abilities while cooldowns run, and then repeat. Only had one person drop during a final boss fight on a delve.