test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Guardian Fighter Taunts and Threat Broken?

eggsneggsn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 69
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
I understand that the Cleric is getting waaay too much agro and doesn't seem to be the best at healing anything currently. However, I duo with a GF and he's telling me that it doesn't seem to matter what class, wizard, cleric, etc. they can pull anything off him even after 2-3 taunts and 80% damage he's done to the mob.

Any others seeing this issue?
Post edited by eggsn on

Comments

• Options
    joypadgamerjoypadgamer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Indeed it is. My taunt feels mandatory instead of "wtf button".

What they were thinking...?
  • Options
    dtrain69dtrain69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm definitely seeing a problem with agro. Mashing taunt with bad dps is the only way to keep agro.

Something wrong for sure.
  • Options
    ladyrainladyrain Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Reminds me of my Protector in Forsaken World. At end game, Taunt skill gets aggro only for a few seconds, no matter what aggro skills you spam. In that game, it was due to the pathetically low damage of the class compared to other classes. I worry that the GF will go the same way in this game, which is why I am avoiding playing that class.
  • Options
    kittykaswickkittykaswick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I dont think your taunt is broken i just think the clerics threat generation is way to high, it was perfect last beta and you could actually have a working group but this time around,,, just have to say wow lol.
  • Options
    barathian333barathian333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    even my cleric pet is holding threat over a 2h warrior ......... at lvl 35 :(
  • Options
    stormhammystormhammy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I dont think your taunt is broken i just think the clerics threat generation is way to high, it was perfect last beta and you could actually have a working group but this time around,,, just have to say wow lol.

They should swap the threat from GFs and Clerics.

That way EVERYTHING will go after GFs while barely anything will go after the Cleric.
    :D
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows./Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope.
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
  • Options
    lothomaderlothomader Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I ran the clock tower and felt useless. Couldnt hold aggro, took way to much damage even with block up. Felt like a bad dps.
  • Options
    stormhammystormhammy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lothomader wrote: »
    I ran the clock tower and felt useless. Couldnt hold aggro, took way to much damage even with block up. Felt like a bad dps.

You be doing something terribly wrong.
    When me ran clock tower as a GF, me out damaged everyone (when me was ~1-3 levels lower than everyone), had most kills, and most damage taken.
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows./Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope.
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
  • Options
    vinnymakvinnymak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Somebody from the staff responded to a Facebook post about the threat earlier.

Player "None because I'm a cleric and everything aggros me. D:"
    Neverwinter: "We are looking into and will be working on smoothing that out. Thanks for bearing with us in the short term. "

We will probably get another beta weekend to test it out.
    Belmaliel Seraph - Human Guardian Fighter (@Eldredd)
  • Options
    mogwaimogwai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    its working as intended..it's not about aggro, its better AI
    even when i'd rez my companion, the boss/mobs would kill it before it had a chance to heal

in pvp YOU kill the cleric 1st if possible right? ;)
    mmorpg is R'lyehian for: Innumerable quantities of grown babies
    discussing & often complaining about the imaginary.
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1618000&dateline=1316204434[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    danwoskadanwoska Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I can say this much as a gf I was one <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> dps, I would always atleast be 2nd if not 1st in damage, which felt great but that isn't my job. holding threat really depended on the pulls if everyone ran in there all willy nilly ala the control mages of the group teleporting so fast the rest of us are 30ft behind yeah sure I had issues holding threat but at the same time on tight packs of 3 that didnt have pats i could hold threat just fine, also that move, the aoe taunt, is kinda ment to be a regular use button **** we only have like 6 abilities guys, but at the same time yes I do agree threat generation seems kinda low considering the feat points felt like they did nothing to help my threat, even though that was all I put points into...
  • Options
    joukuoj32joukuoj32 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    spamming tab key(every +-6secs) on bosses and always keep agro from them whole fight without problems, but my problem was packs of adds that at will spammable shield slam aoe taunt seems dont work for me, used it on groups(they had +- full hp, wizard was running from them) they all got marks so i going back to another group but they still went to wizard :(
    really cant mark 5-10 mobs with tab key(fight will be over when i will be done with marking)

edit:tanked liar of mad dragon bosses without problems holding agro from bosses all time with only tab key
  • Options
    negoshaknegoshak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I Where playing a Tank over the weekend and noticed that the fights tended to go like this

Dps pulls a ton of mobs before i got in , i used aoe taunt for aggro but since all dps attacked different mobs all mobs whent after cleric.
    usualy i spamed tab and used every taunt available at level 15 - 16 the challengin call or what ever it was and the aoe mob taunt.
    I eaven bashed a shield slam more often than the dps strike still i felt more like a referee using the whistle to give the onslaught a few seconds stop so the cleric could heal himself or other party memebers ofc the onslaught continued as soon as some one used a dps skill or a heal so a short pause the last boss in the clocktower or what ever it was called whent in waves.

Dps pulls, i rush in and taunt the boss adds rush in and dps, starts to dps like madmen on boss and adds.
    Boss + all adds run amock i taunt and pull them in for 2 - 4 seconds and then the stampeed starts again i run around taunting and 2 - 4 seconds later stampeed this whent on for the duration of the fight so yeah im a referee not a tank i use my taunts to blow the whistle for 2 - 4 seconds at a time only to let the game to continue and hoping the cleric survives long enough that my taunts get back in rotation so i can instant spam them again.

and yeah i see the point in spamming tab now how to shield myself while i spam tab and a ton of other keys while i run around trying to grab the agro that i have not worked out yet maby another beta weekend of bashing head against the mob wall will open something up :)
  • Options
    janusdividedjanusdivided Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Saying that the cleric pulls aggro simply due to enemy ai is a faulty argument. The entire concept of an threat based system in a party is controlling what your enemies perceive as a threat, and if that proves to be pointless against an essential part of your group, then may as well do away with the taunt and threat system entirely.
  • Options
    carlithcarlith Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Played as tank with some friends in this beta.
    Guardian Fighter, Cleric and Rogue.
    And even with maxed out threat feats it was almost impossible for me to hold aggro for longer than the AoE taunt lasted.
    The only real way was to just spit out as much CC as i could while actively trying to taunt the bosses.. Forget about the trash that spawned.. No chance there.

I even had issues with keeping aggro from my cleric companion.
    That really shouldnt happen.
    Makes it sort of pointless even playing tank.
  • Options
    col7nlcol7nl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Reviving this thread. Currently the situation is still the same.
    I've maxed out threat (Enh. Mark +99%, Potent Challenge 15% flat), increased damage from Cleave and Tide of Iron and Powerful Attack 5/5 (10% damage on Encounter and At-Will abilities). Yet, I feel like a third wheel in Dungeons.

I haven't done number crunching, but I'm fairly certain the above abilities should give me a great advantage in threat generation over healing and damage dealing classes.

Alas, will wait till things get fixed.
  • Options
    emtamy03emtamy03 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    col7nl wrote: »
    I've maxed out threat (Enh. Mark +99%, Potent Challenge 15% flat), increased damage from Cleave and Tide of Iron and Powerful Attack 5/5 (10% damage on Encounter and At-Will abilities)...I haven't done number crunching, but I'm fairly certain the above abilities should give me a great advantage in threat generation over healing and damage dealing classes.

I 2nd this!

I feel the only explanation for the "difficulty" tanking for a dungeon group that is not full of a bunch of tards is that threat is currently in a broken state, not working as intended, or our talents that increase threat are not multiplying like they should, or the other classes (such as cleric) threat decreasing talents are not decreasing like they should, etc., etc.
  • Options
    kuettbull3nkuettbull3n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    col7nl wrote: »
    Reviving this thread. Currently the situation is still the same.
    I've maxed out threat (Enh. Mark +99%, Potent Challenge 15% flat), increased damage from Cleave and Tide of Iron and Powerful Attack 5/5 (10% damage on Encounter and At-Will abilities). Yet, I feel like a third wheel in Dungeons.

I understand completely.
    Im using a DPS/tank hybrid specc increasing my dmg as much as possible while still maintaining the threat feats.
    With that in mind Im currently running T1 dungeons with my GF and to be frank I've given up hope on trying to tank anything except 1 maybe 2 targets. I sometimes manage to get aggro back when the mobs are not effected by taunt, but that is at best 1 out of 15 times when I've lost aggro.

Because things are like that the only thing GFs are good for is trying to take aggro while doing as much DPS as we can with our crappy dmg while spamming taunt when able.
  • Options
    jef9999jef9999 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So much truth, you shouldn't have to spec DPS to hold aggro because that's what DPS are for. If you have to spec for DPS then you're depriving your tanking powers / feats. You're better off letting the tanking companion tank, at least it can hold aggro, compared to I dunno the tank class? And no I don't mean cleric.
  • Options
    burstdragon323burstdragon323 Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The problem is that we dont have a "Tank Stance" link in other MMOs. So we lose threat to healers since they heal more than we can damage targets.
  • Options
    tbldrparanoidtbldrparanoid Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's very easy to hold aggro, as long as you have you enhanced mark up on the boss and avoid / block all his damage, and do some of the damage while blocking skills every now and then.

For AoE aggro / taunt, it sucks to hold aggro indeed, but isn't that what GWF or CW are for? GWF has a bit more AoE skills, CW to control the adds, TR to burn em down? I think this is part of the design of the game.

Clerics and their aggro is ridiculous, so little heals so much aggro. It would be OK in my eyes if they had a "Oh <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>" button that would insta heal the whole group for 80% of their health or something, and then the mobs would aggro on the cleric. Then it would be the tank's job to pick em up again.

But keep in mind, it's still Beta. Class balances are changing every day.
  • Options
    cruljincruljin Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    please use stab please use stab please use stab,

use mark when on the move,

when facing boss, please use stab, please use stab,

block when needed.

aggro problem solved.

Also dont try to tank everything, thats not how it is supposed to go. Classes in this game are tough, grab up the baddies that will do mass damge, pull them away, wait for group to burn scrubs down, then they help you. IE driders, battletested orcs, things like that, face them away, block/sidestep when needed, stab stab stab, trust me you will see a difference. Alot of players think i should stand here with my shield and hold my mouse button down. Wrong it is action mmo, play like you are really fighting that mob, hmmm do I want to be hit, nawww im going to raise my shield and block this.
  • Options
    zardoz007zardoz007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    even my cleric pet is holding threat over a 2h warrior ......... at lvl 35 :(

the GWF threat problems is a whole other ball game that needs to be addressed and the more I see from the GWF the more I think the entire class needs a complete overhaul.
  • Options
    kuettbull3nkuettbull3n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cruljin wrote: »
    please use stab please use stab please use stab, use mark when on the move, when facing boss, please use stab, please use stab, block when needed. Aggro problem solved.

Also dont try to tank everything, thats not how it is supposed to go. Classes in this game are tough, grab up the baddies that will do mass damge, pull them away, wait for group to burn scrubs down, then they help you. IE driders, battletested orcs, things like that, face them away, block/sidestep when needed, stab stab stab, trust me you will see a difference. Alot of players think i should stand here with my shield and hold my mouse button down. Wrong it is action mmo, play like you are really fighting that mob, hmmm do I want to be hit, nawww im going to raise my shield and block this.

I guarantee that stab doesnt work. It has a slower and longer animation than cleave and that taunting effect as it should have doesnt work either. The only thing it does is not removing the mark of the target.
    You're better off using threatening rush every 3rd or 4th attack then go back to cleave.

Since you seem to think that there is only 1 "baddie" in each group Im guessing you're new to the game aswell. At the harder T1 and T2 dungeons there are 3 if not 4 "baddies" in many of the mob groups. How are you supposed to get aggro from all of them with stab that doesnt work?
  • Options
    dral1313dral1313 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Threat could definitely use some work, even specced purely with that in mind it can be really hard to keep agro.