test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I'm a bit confused about zen and astral diamonds...

gareth2772gareth2772 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 7 Arc User
edited March 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
As the title implies, i'm a little confused here- why would anyone sell zen (paid for with real money) for astral diamonds, which can be earned in game? Or are the zen listings posted by PWE and not players?
For our fight is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
Ephesians 6:12
Post edited by gareth2772 on

Comments

• shaudiusshaudius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The same reason that people buy(bought) gold in WoW. Because they have one thing(actual currency) and want something the game that costs in game currency(in this case Astral Diamonds.)
    Neverwinter Foundry Fansite with IRC Chatroom - http://www.tavernugc.com. Chatroom also available through IRC on irc.geekshed.net, #tavernugc.
    Neverwinter Official Wiki - http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/
  • babylonbabylon Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Astral Diamonds is the currency used to buy things from other players through the AH, so people will want to have a lot of AD, not just Zen.
    THIS IS CLERIC AGGRO IN BW3
  • wesgarwesgar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    gareth2772 wrote: »
    As the title implies, i'm a little confused here- why would anyone sell zen (paid for with real money) for astral diamonds, which can be earned in game? Or are the zen listings posted by PWE and not players?

I can help!

So, the developers of Neverwinter have been very adamant about the fact that there isn't anything in the game that you can 'buy' for real money, that you can't get by just playing the game.

That said, the traditional model for Perfect World games, has been to have your 'in game' currency, like gold or what ever, to buy stuff in game, and have a separate 'cash only ' shop, where you would use 'Zen' (bought with real money,) to buy the 'cash shop goods'.

Soooo... in order to make it so that you can buy all the 'cash shop' goods, with 'in game money' like 'gold' or in this case, with Astral Diamonds, they created a 'trading post' that will be at least somewhat influenced by what gamers are willing to part with their 'Zen' for.

Meaning, that you (the player,) can put up your 'astral diamonds' gained by playing the game, and buy 'Zen' with them, (The Zen is also put on the market by players that bought Zen,) then you can use the 'Zen' in the cash store. Thus keeping the Developers from being called dirty Cake Pushers.

(meaning, you now have a way to use 'in game' currency, to buy, from the 'cash / zen only' shop.... as long as there is another player that was willing to buy the Zen and put it up on the market.)

It seems overly complex, but there really is a 'logical' reason for it.

I'll ask a question that some one 'else' might help me understand...

why do they have 'Gold' AND astral diamonds in the game as 'in game currencies' ... what's the reasoning there?

There are so many currencies in the game, it's CRAZY, ya need to have a spread sheet open just to keep track of them!

lets see how many we can come up with here:

there are 2 currencies that you get and can use for 'Invoking' I really haven't tried to figure out what those are used for, or why there are 2...

There is Gold, and Astral Diamonds, as an 'in-game Currency' still ... not sure why we have 'both gold and Diamonds,' they seem to do the same exact thing to me...

And then we have Zen bought with the Cold Hard Cash of the Gamers - this is the one currency that makes the rest of the game possible folks.

in addition to all of this, there is the 'token' system, that is used to buy gear...

you earn Tokens (called 'Seals' from various Dungeons, the lower level Dungeons, produced Lion Seals... or was it Seals of the Lion... ) I saw at least one and I think two other 'token' type currencies that you could get.. presumably in the higher level dungeons.

Some folks don't consider a 'token' system a form of currency, but... some folks do.

anyway, it's a lot of different bit's of colored glass, and pretty sea shells being used to trade stuff around! G'luck keeping it all straight!

:-)
    Thanks,

zWolf / Wesgar

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vernedndvernednd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 215 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    The two tokens you get from praying allow players to 'earn' zen store rewards to a degree. One has a max of 7 that you can obtain that allows you to buy dye, lockbox keys, astral diamonds, etc... The other token has not limit and allows you to buy further customization options and gear from what I saw the past two beta weekends. These systems, along with the AD vendors/AH, appear to be the additional methods of obtaining zen store items (or similiar).

Cheers!
    Fighter.jpg
  • nikadaemusnikadaemus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 201 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    wesgar wrote: »
    There is Gold, and Astral Diamonds, as an 'in-game Currency' still ... not sure why we have 'both gold and Diamonds,' they seem to do the same exact thing to me...

You need two currencies to have a proper MMO economy. It typically is split between NPC currency and the currency that is traded among players (and can be sold for Zen)

They do this to be able to limit the farming. You can't just get quest gold or vendor trash and bloat the 'player' economy basically.

Problem is, they have broke that cardinal rule and made 80% of the vendor stuff require AD. So who knows what will happen to this economy.

The 'prayer coins' are just daily rewards. They could have saved some grief and just had a daily reward vendor.

One coin = days consecutively logged in (max 7 coins)
    One coin = total days played (has nice pets and mounts at 50 for being free)
  • krubarkrubar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 841 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    What kind of companions and mounts can you buy with those coins?
  • braxzanabraxzana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The highest-rank mount I saw for sale with the Ardent or Celestial coins (the ones you get for logging in and Invoking every day) was a freaking unicorn (purple rarity). I can imagine they WILL be rare, considering what goes into getting one.
  • krubarkrubar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 841 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Ya I remember seeing the unicorn. Also remember seeing like a angel companion but I think it was a temporary companion, maybe not. Was just wondering if there was others that I did not see.