test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Foundry Story Content in english, but from foreign speakers?

raugarraugar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
edited March 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
hi everyone.

i'm curious about something. i love creating USG. i did it in past games already and i think i'm at least not to bad, especially when it comes to story writing. but i'm german, so my english i flawed. i'm wondering how disturbing it is for native english speakers to play content, that may have an interesting story, but the text is clearly written by a foreign speaker, includes grammar mistakes and stuff.

would you downrate it just because of the language?
would you play it at all?
would you continue playing if it was a multi-project/quest storyline?
would it be very annoying to read a story with grammar mistakes in it?
Post edited by raugar on

Comments

• Options
    ravenrabbitravenrabbit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    What I would suggest, if you think you may have worded something wrong, or made grammar mistakes, run the story by a person with English as a first language before putting it out there. Let them fix any mistakes, and then it won't be an issue. :)

But, yes, I personally find it hard to focus on a story that my mind isn't putting together properly due to spelling or grammar problems. I may try it, but as a writer, I cringe when I see a lot of grammar mistakes. But, what may end up happening is I may send messages to the people who made the story, giving them feedback on what could be changed. That is just me. ;)
  • Options
    scootmienscootmien Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 70
    edited March 2013
    I'm similar

If you would be happy to accept critical and constructive feedback once your quest goes live, then I would be glad to provide spelling and grammar corrections to you. I'm sure there would be a lot of others willing to do so too.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    There are ways to create content in German and French at least because the game's localization is being developed. Translating content will require some effort on the part of author as he will have to copy paste the dialogs, objectives, description etc. Rest of it - one should be able to import as the client is same, even when localization is different.

As for if language makes different, I believe it is rest of the content. If it is language, you will find enough volunteers who can help you improve it.
  • Options
    robopwnrobopwn Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It might be worth it to work in tandem with someone else to develop your stories (if the story is important) if you're just making a hack and slash adventure then probably no one will care. If however the aim of your foundry adventure is to present an ongoing story or campaign then yeah the non-native english will probably be a little jarring. Definitely don't let that dissuade you from making stuff though.
  • Options
    l1zardo1l1zardo1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    People could use the comments portion to let you know about grammar and spelling too ;)
  • Options
    thrynsystthrynsyst Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    raugar wrote: »
    hi everyone.

i'm curious about something. i love creating USG. i did it in past games already and i think i'm at least not to bad, especially when it comes to story writing. but i'm german, so my english i flawed. i'm wondering how disturbing it is for native english speakers to play content, that may have an interesting story, but the text is clearly written by a foreign speaker, includes grammar mistakes and stuff.

I will answer your questions in order Herr Raugar.

1. Never! I would not be so low as to downgrade *good* content because of this. Today, we live in a world more connected to one another than ever before, so more than a bit of tolerance for linguistics is called for.

2. I would, indeed. Artistic genius knows no language, no nationality, and is present worldwide. I'll take good UGC from wherever I find it, no matter wherever it was made.

3. If it is capable of holding my attention as a player, then a campaign done by a non-native English speaker would rate just as highly in my book as a native English speaker. I *might* contact the author of such works with some feedback as to wording, but downgrade, or refuse to play? No...

4. The only way it would be annoying to me would be if it could not be understood at all, in which case, I would simply exit the content without rating it one way or the other.
  • Options
    kinsaedakinsaeda Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    hi everyone.

To take them as they come:

1) It depends, but generally if a story is poorly translated into another language, the author's intent and the story itself cannot be properly portrayed. Though the Author could be a great plot writer, the story could come off as much less than what it could be. If I don't know this, then I would rate it lower than I would otherwise.

2) I'll probably play it anyway, especially if its mostly about the action/puzzle solving or what have you.

3) Depends on the above.

4) Yes it can be, especially the same mistakes repeated often.

As a post above mine said, we're more connected in this world than ever before. What this really means to me is that writers that want to contribute in another language have a responsibility to have their work looked over and edited by a native speaker of that language. As we see in this thread there are people who are happy to volunteer for such work.

Even in our own native languages, it's always a good idea to have another person check over our work. No matter how skilled you are. From there give it to a native speaker who one would hope is going to do more than just check it over, but work with you to make sure everything is conveyed properly.

We're storytellers, and language is paramount to story telling. If it's important enough to do, then making the most of available resources is what we should really be doing.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    One last thing. I collaborated with a Canadian fellow (from Quebec, and a native French speaker) in an NWN module I thought showed a bit of originality, but the English grammar, and a few other things, were a bit lacking. We communicated, then I went to work re-working his conversations, and a few other things he didn't know how to do. When this re-working was done, he was quite satisfied with what I had done, and I consulted him every step of they way, to ensure that *his* content remained true to what he had originally envisaged.

While The Foundry does not *currently* support such collaboration, by all appearances, should it be able to in time, I would be willing to do the same thing again, as good, and interesting content should not fail because of simple things...
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    hi everyone.

i'm curious about something. i love creating USG. i did it in past games already and i think i'm at least not to bad, ...

Also, one more thing. If you make your campaign as you have written the post above - I don't think anyone will ever notice.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Also, one more thing. If you make your campaign as you have written the post above - I don't think anyone will ever notice.

I certainly wouldn't... Excellent English there.
  • Options
    l1zardo1l1zardo1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Indeed. I see far worse typing from people who have English as their primary language ;)
  • Options
    bardbarianbardbarian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm sure there are plenty of English speaking "grammar police" that would be kind enough to help fix grammar/spelling issues. For me grammar/spelling errors can throw me off, especially in a game where there is no audio track and everything *is written.* I have a hard time taking a prince seriously that doesn't know the difference between they're, their, and there.

I'd downrate anything that looks like a lack of effort went into it's creation, including something with major grammatical errors throughout. This is simply because many English speakers also use poor grammar. I'd play something that has a compelling story regardless, though that might be harder to achieve if I have to stop and try to make sense of what characters are saying. That being said, your English isn't that bad. I have seen far worse, and by people that were raised speaking English. I can make sense of everything you wrote in your post and it only contains minor stuff that I wouldn't downrate a foundry mission for.
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I don't base my voting on things like spelling and grammar. If the structure of the mission is good, I'll vote it up. I may however send you a PM to point out the errors, or comment on the mission voting section itself.
  • Options
    orwandelorwandel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    hi everyone.

I also am not a native English speaker, and intend to create quests with the Foundry. However, basic grammar mistakes are easy to avoid - just run all your text through a spell checker outside of the game. You can still mix up words that are written correctly, like were/where/we're - our/are - there/they're/their - but I actually think non-native speakers are less inclined to do so as we have learned the language by reading/writing it first, speaking/listening second.

I do, however, have a comment about your post - and that applies to German as much as English, doubly so, in fact: You never capitalised your words properly in your post. Or at all, to be perfectly honest. There is not a single upper case letter in your entire post, and you, as a German, should know better! :P

My suggestions:
    1. Plan your text out beforehand, outside of the game, and use a spell-checker to clean up the most basic mistakes. You should also double check the most common mistakes people make (examples given above) just in case.
    2. Use proper capitalisation, especially at the start of every sentence, and for names.
    3. KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) - Don't try to write like Shakespeare unless you have a degree in English or something, use basic language.
    4. Avoid modern slang/expressions ("Cool, dude. Let's hang out in the dungeon and stuff.") and don't make every dwarf talk like a stereotypical moron dwarf (even though Salvatore does it to some extent).
    People have been swinging at me for years, they always seem to miss
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited March 2013
    Most people will forgive and forget and likely give ample feedback on the language. It might crinkle some noses but the only way to truly irritate most is by writing it in a foreign language and putting it on an English Server.

The Persistent World I worked on in NWN1 was run by a Swedish man and he would always complain that he thought his english was horrible and felt that everybody could tell. I promise you that like him, your english is better than you think. Like him I don't think anybody would be able to tell english isn't your native tongue or at the very least they won't grab the pitchforks for minor mistakes which will happen even if you are born and raised speaking english.
  • Options
    cychoticalcychotical Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 43
    edited March 2013
    There are some fantastic suggestions above with people who are willing to help. I would also put a note at the beginning of your introduction to your map (at the Foundry window) that states that English is not your native language. I think people do tend to be very harsh towards poor grammar of native speakers, but tend to be more understanding towards those who are not native speakers of that language.
  • Options
    ryger5ryger5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I am curious, if I may ask, why would you not just create content in your own language?

It's not that I resent seeing English content from someone who isn't fluent in English, but I'd also welcome content in other languages. I am fluent in French, I am half-decent in Spanish, I wouldn't prohibit myself from playing something in another language.

I wager dialog trees in German, I could navigate with some help with Google translate!

So why cater to us English dorks? I mean English is a clumsy language anyway! :)
    BalarSig103B.jpg
    SHADOW - A secret cabal for those who thirst for wealth and power.
    Check out SHADOW on YouTube!
  • Options
    kinsaedakinsaeda Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Well, material that can be in more than one language reaches a wider audience which gains all the benefits thereof.
  • Options
    ryger5ryger5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    kinsaeda wrote: »
    Well, material that can be in more than one language reaches a wider audience which gains all the benefits thereof.

Sad though, that unless it's in English, it can't get any credit. Also sad, that the primary focus is to be popular rather than good. Let's face it the moment you gear down to a second or third language, is the moment you are sacrificing some of your creative expression.

I'd to think what would happen if Fitzgerald or Orwell had to write in French! :)

I mean I get it, the focus of many people will be to become a top rated/popular module to get tips...but given this is primarily a creative tool, I'd hope some authors will ignore that and just produce the best and most interesting stories they can, with all of their creative strength.

Of course, we all approach these things in our own unique way, I do respect that!

I can tell you from experience with UCG, the most highly rated/popular modules were not the best. They were often fun, but the more you found authors that catered to your own style, the better the content was. So I hope some of us don't focus exclusively on "getting big", but rather more on, "what would I like to see made in this game?"

Those two things aren't always the same thing.
    BalarSig103B.jpg
    SHADOW - A secret cabal for those who thirst for wealth and power.
    Check out SHADOW on YouTube!
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    ryger5 wrote: »
    I am curious, if I may ask, why would you not just create content in your own language?
    . . . .

To reach wider audience. I don't know if it a coincidence, but the quality content I like usually always comes from people who speak a language I don't. Maybe it is green grass syndrome or something ...
  • Options
    mnaticmnatic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 233 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    you're englich iz awsum dude way beter den most.
    I wood defo play ur content for realz.

No seriously any good story I will play as long as its at least roughly translated.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hopeless2hopeless2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 73
    edited March 2013
    Some will downvote your content if it has bad grammar. If I were you, I would run my script through someone who is fluent in English and make sure it all makes sense. :)
  • Options
    raugarraugar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    ryger5 wrote: »

because UCG in any other langue than english tends to not have a big audience, simply because in most f2p mmos, the servers are international. and the international language is english. UCG in a native language other than english would only make sense, if you had server that has this language as it's main language. could i do a more complex and deep story in my native language? most likly, but what use would that have if only 10 players would play it then ^^. if you do the effort to create a really good UCG, with a good story, script and so on, that is quite a lot of work. and of course as an author you want your work to be enjoyed by as many people as possible.