test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PvP in Neverwinter?

zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Just to check out :)

Here is a discussion about it:
http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?66981-Is-PvP-Bad-for-MMORPGs-%28redux%29

Argument of the Pro PvP:
PvE is only to reach maximum level so we can do PvP as end-game.
Argument of the Pro PvE:
50% of development time wasted in PvP could be spend on PvE content like new classes and things.
Post edited by zagemogga on

Comments

• ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited March 2013
    Things are rarely black and white.

If you ask it as a black and white answer such as this you will get a ton of yes answers as a good majority of people do partake in PvP even if it is once every never.
    Even players who do not particularly enjoy PvP do partake in it from time to time.

A more accurate question would be how important PvP is to the game but that's my personal opinion.
  • kittychris13kittychris13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I play pvp, but picked no. In this game PvE to me is way more important. You know it is taking away development, and personnel working on foundry. This game prolly could of been out and more polished then it will be at launch if it wasn't for pvp. I would rather have these features to the MAX! Then have some pvp system thrown into the mix.

I will stick to DaoC or ESO if they are having a 3faction pvp system.
  • zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It is supposed to be as blunt as possible. As stated in the other thread, a game completely without PvP can concentrade purely on PvE.

If they just implement PvP without spending ~50% of development effort on it, this just gives a bad reputation and the PvPler probably wouldn't enjoy it.
  • darkpeek2darkpeek2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I am a pvper on wow, and thats all I do there. I pick no because it feels out of place. Unless the devs make a system that seems right, which I hope they do. If you put something up there as PvP if it doesn't take away from PvE I would pick, because I do like pvp. This being DnD I'm not sure how it will fit.
  • bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I voted no, I'm not a big pvp fan. I think it nerfs PvE classess, and this is just my opinion I have no facts. Would of really liked them to focus more on PvE. Like 10man dungeons over pvp(Some day I want to see two teams, one does one path of a dungeon and other team the other path both leading to an end boss). But this is about pvp

I wouldn't mind dungeon races agains other teams or something like that. Even though making up a pvp map with foundry sounds kind of fun. This is just my opinion if they can make pvp without nerfing PvE, I would vote yes.
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited March 2013
    Thankfully despite the ridiculous conversations about it I'm sure developers are implementing PvP despite the people whining about how it shouldn't be in the game at all because they don't like it.
  • bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    Thankfully despite the ridiculous conversations about it I'm sure developers are implementing PvP despite the people whining about how it shouldn't be in the game at all because they don't like it.

I not complaining, doesn't look like anyone else above is complaining either. I could careless if there is pvp, more money the game brings in the better. I just don't want PvP to effect PvE, like i'm sure you don't want PvE to effect PvP. I just can't see a game like this being huge pvp. Usually 3 faction games are needed to be great pvp.

Edit: I will prolly play TESO if I wanted to get into pvp, all we can do is wait till its out and see how it goes. I want this game to succeed so I hope the pvp system is great for the pvp base.
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Member Posts: 561 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    zagemogga wrote: »
    Argument of the Pro PvP:
    PvE is only to reach maximum level so we can do PvP as end-game.
    Argument of the Pro PvE:
    50% of development time wasted in PvP could be spend on PvE content like new classes and things.

Both of these statements are ridiculous ideas that misrepresent both sides of the issue.

I voted yes, regardless because I support different playstyles and believe that dispite (some) calls to the contrary:

1) Including PvP won't take the massive development resources some like to believe that it would.

2) PvP can be a part of the D&D experience, particularly in an online game environment with no active DMs, where players often have to take the roles of villains and antagonists, and potentially require PvP/dueling tools to engage on any physical confrontations that result from (presumably RP) interactions with other characters. And this is an action MMO that caters to a wide (not necessarily D&D) audience regardless, so this being D&D does not detract from PvP posibilities.
  • zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    They can implement a duel function or people can flag themselves to get friendly fire and can be attacked, no problem.

For a full PvP game, they need arenas/maps with 'capture the flag' and other mini-games like in Quake or other first person shooters. In Neverwinter are no factions who fight each other, it has to be something totally pointless like that. This binds resources and you can bet there will be complains about balancing and other requests, who is going to do that other than the developers who could work on the Arcane Archer class?
  • elminbanelminban Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Balacing classes for PvP is a never ending struggle it seems. Adding in good PvP will probably slow down adding classes in.
    2.jpg
  • tinypyrotinypyro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 371 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    I voted yes. I enjoy both PvE and PvP equally. It simply depends on what I am in the mood for. Personally I believe that consentual PvP is a must for any MMO to be successful these days because it caters to a variety of tastes. Consent being the key word. Open world PvP is usually littered with gankers and griefers that enjoy attacking lower lvl characters and tends to run off all but the most hardcore PvPer. Many if not most gamers enjoy consentual PvP like battlegrounds, objective based matches, or open world sandbox zones with castles and keeps.

It's nice to have the option to crank out some PvP when you are feeling feisty or bored with PvE content. It's also nice to be able to leave that cut-throat environment and safely go putz around questing w/o worrying about getting your face ripped off by someone 10 lvls higher than you while you are battling an orc.

Personally I don't buy the argument that PvP development cuts into 50% of the PvE development because 80% of the PvP development is PvE relevant like graphics, abilities, spells, animations etc. In PvP you are basicly doing the same things you do in PvE, only at a faster pace and against another player. So I believe the only additional development that would go into PvP would be the maps and maybe some time and research on cc, burst damage etc.

The only single drawback that I see is that PvP almost always leads to class nerfs that effect PvE because of people concerned about class balance.
  • sallee132sallee132 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2
    edited March 2013
    i want PVP in this game,this is an MMO and need to have PVP.I dont see why whould any1 says No....If u dont like PVP dont do it but dont ruin this game for other people.When i told my brother about Neverwinter and said that has no PVP atm he told me to never speak to him about Neverwinter cause is "****" that hes no PVP.PVP dont need to be open world (pk) but it has to be some sort of PVP for PVP players like me or i will just be bored of this game vary soon upon release
  • iamdoctordeathiamdoctordeath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Problem is- if they don't spend resources and time on making a good pvp system, pvpers will hate it anyway and stuff the pvp forums with hate and thus make pvp hurt the game more than help it. For example- every game that has put in pvp without focusing on it ever.

If they do however put resources and time into it, that still doesn't mean pvpers will like it, and chances are the forums will still be full of the same hate, and it'll still spill out and give the game a terrible reputation. In this case though, you'll have spent time, and likely done balancing that'll effect pve- meaning it'll hurt the pve aspect of the game which is the main draw for a game like this.

I love pvp, I mostly pvp- but at best I can see pvp bringing little to this game, and at worst I can see it doing far more damage than good. The only good thing is- I haven't seen any indication of pvp beyond mini warzones- there's no factions so there's no open world pvp, so hopefully this won't get in the way of anyone who wants to avoid it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zaphtasticzaphtastic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Like ambisinisterr said, it's not black and white.

I'm usually a pve player in games... but pvp provides an experience you just can't get by fighting scripted enemies. Other players are much more unpredictable, and you get a lot more mileage out of skills that aren't really used in typical pve; and I mean both personal player skill (spatial awareness, quicker reflexes, better keybinding, etc) as well as 'utility' character skills (crowd control, movement abilities, etc). PVP - if implemented correctly - is very much a mind game: do I use my big damage ability first to draw out his counters? How do I juke spells to get the most benefit out of it? Do I go all-in now and risk getting trounced or should I play the long game and risk losing due to attrition? Is it worthwhile to leave the node to chase this guy who just broke LOS with me to heal up? Etc etc. I'm not as awesome at pvp as the people focusing on it, but I like to think I'm at least decent -- more importantly, I have fun!

Actual pvp implementation in MMOs is always lacking, especially in gear- and level-based games where your success depends on your (gear) level much more than everything else; latency is also a huge factor. But that doesn't mean it can't be a good diversion from time to time... as long as the pve game doesn't get mangled due to FOTM pvp abilities and what have you. Guild Wars 1 is a good example of this: skills that were deemed overpowered in pvp were simply replaced with a different ability when used in pvp, without affecting pve at all.

Of course in NW I'm going to spend 90% of my time in the foundry interface, so I should probably abstain from the vote instead. ;)
  • sallee132sallee132 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2
    edited March 2013
    most of the time i will be on foundry as well,that is most reason why i wait for this game,as well for other MMO games PVP is most important for me or i whouldnt be playing MMO atall,i whould just go play Diablo 3 or something.If this game has no foundry it whouldnt be different from other MMos atall except that whould be game with NO PVP-lots of players lost with this
  • mok33mok33 Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Well so far it hasn't been a ton of yes answers..
  • bruddajokkabruddajokka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    It's not really an either or type of situation.
  • kinsaedakinsaeda Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I voted no, since I won't be playing pvp that seemed like the correct choice, but it's to black and white. What I'd like to see is that skills be balanced separately for pvp and pve. Like in the original Guild Wars and GW2. Some skills could function differently or have different numeric values depending on game mode. That's the way to go I feel, so that one mode doesn't impinge on the other to much.
  • apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Personally I have done a lot of PvP in the past in various MMO's but I just don't like it for a variety of reasons. As soon as I see that a game is heavily PvP biased I turn and run the other direction.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
  • somthgelsesomthgelse Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 47
    edited March 2013
    PVP gear is usually as good as raid gear in many games I've played. Sure it takes 1-2 weeks of PVP dailies to get one piece, but yeah, you can earn raid gear that way. It's just another path to god mode if you want it bad enough and don't have the schedule to log in three times a week for 4 hours of dedicated raiding. Options is good, lack of options is bad. Does it have to be all set and perfect on day one of launch? No, but eventually would be nice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    When the going gets tough, the tough get a trusty longsword and get to work!
  • chaoticwheechaoticwhee Member Posts: 61
    edited March 2013
    I don't think I'd like battleground PvP int his game (at least not very close to launch), but I would like to see a dueling feature or maybe just open world optional flagging. Of course, I'm not sure how their doing the whole good/evil thing considering the lack of evil deity options.
  • tazrakunetazrakune Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 55
    edited March 2013
    I am tired of modern MMOs trying to cater to the pvp community thinking that its the only way to survive(GW2, WoW, SWTOR). Because its not and I will be glad if Neverwinter has no PvP.
    JerroldNeverwintersig_zps8ecd4397.jpg
  • th3modth3mod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 43
    edited March 2013
    I don't really get why people are arguing over PVP so much. It will clearly be in the game, so no reason to say "I hope it won't be in the game", since it's one of the reasons it wasn't released late 2012. PVP will not be compulsory, everyone knows that also! It is first of all for fun and to widen the end-game content.

One thing I think most of you guys are clearly missing is, this game is NOT ONLY for D&D players. Of course it is based on the D&D Lore and want's to be a treat for everyone who loves D&D but it is also a FREE to play game, which means, it will/should/want's to get a wider audience than just hard core D&D fans. It is also a MMORPG, which means the more features it has, regarding the end-game, the better it is. It will clearly not be only PVP focused. But why are you saying there shouldn't be PVP? In what kind of way, does this affect you? And don't come with "valuable development time is wasted on PVP QQ.." There is an extra tool called the Foundry + also developer content so don't be affraid, you have plenty of AI to kill. Also, usually there is an extra team working on PVP and an extra team working on PVE.

For example I am not familiar with D&D and I am still hyped for this game as hell. For me self, I really want a nice MMORPG where I can do a lot of things. It should have something from everything. I love instances, don't get me wrong, I love dungeons/raids, but I definately LOVE PVP. There is nothing more satisfying than fighting with your friends against other people and making a name for you and your guild. Why should I be denied from that? See, the problem with most of today's games is that they only focus on one thing. There are no more allround MMORPGs really. Like vanilla WoW or the early Lord of the Rings online, where you had plenty of PVE, PVP, RP, Crafting, Customaziation etc. etc. I really like how NW is tending to be such an allrounder game, with a new spicy fighting system.

Just lean back, chill and expect a nice game to come out, where everyone can do what he/she wants...No reason to argue over things that have and always will devide people. PVP and PVE can perfectly exist next to each other and I sure hope Cryptic will manage to do that.
  • robopwnrobopwn Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    tazrakune wrote: »
    I am tired of modern MMOs trying to cater to the pvp community thinking that its the only way to survive(GW2, WoW, SWTOR). Because its not and I will be glad if Neverwinter has no PvP.
    So long as we're working off of hyperbole and age old MMO arguments, I am much more concerned about the continued focus on gear grinding and the no-life requirement of raiding than I am about PvP. PvP has as much of a part in Neverwinter as it does in any MMO and the idea that PvP only makes sense with factions is a little ridiculous, particularly in a game based off of D&D (an actual RPG where choices matter etc).
  • bardbarianbardbarian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I don't ever do PvP and voted yes. If it adds to NWO's customer base and helps the game thrive, pay for new classes/add-ons, etc I'm all for it!
  • bruddajokkabruddajokka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    I don't care much either way.
  • deads6667deads6667 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 112 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Fury was an MMO that was designed exclusively for PVP and it was nearly perfect for it. the game went bankrupt and closed down within a few months. they made attempts at dumbing it down and making it slower for people who couldnt handle the combat but still couldnt garner a following and this was prominent in gamestop when it released though god knows nobody even remembers it ever happened.

it just goes to show most people cant handle pvp and arent very interested in it, developers know this and theyre going to do a LOT more for PVE than PVP in this game but of course, they gotta do a little for pvp. theyll pick up more interest with a little pvp then a little extra pve content and no pvp at all.
  • xdreeganxxdreeganx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    As a snippet to this conversation. I've never... not ONCE heard of a Dungeon/Raid or any other PvE content becoming undoable because of a PvP patch. Unless that patch for some reason caused a serious break/error in the game code.
    MQl1o52.png
    Arrows and Blades do not have names on them.
    They are addressed, "To whom it may concern.."
  • liamtoddliamtodd Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    xdreeganx wrote: »
    As a snippet to this conversation. I've never... not ONCE heard of a Dungeon/Raid or any other PvE content becoming undoable because of a PvP patch. Unless that patch for some reason caused a serious break/error in the game code.

Yeah, bunch of nonsense saying pvp breaks pve.
This discussion has been closed.