Install Arc
Options

Avoiding Confusion: D&D, D&D4 and NO

2»

Comments

• Options
    keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I note that the Gameplay Information part of the Neverwinter Online New Users FAQ actually follows my recommendations and clearly states up front that Neverwinter Online is based on D&D4. This FAQ was clearly well-thought out to avoid confusion.

Now come on don't try to use logic and facts on people around here, it won't sway them. ;)
  • Options
    prootwaddleprootwaddle Member Posts: 226 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    bragan002 wrote: »
    well i loved NwN 1&2 ( still playing it from time to time) and as some1 posted here i too will be missing the ability to go cross class like Ranger/rogue or warrior/cleric , but i also understand that this is a mmo, and i cant have everything. If the combat, story (if the foundry will work as intended, i have no doubt in my mind that there will be great stories to tell :) ), community and feel will be great i will play this game for a looong time :D

PS: sorry for my english, not my native language :)

As an Englishman, who has played D&D in French, you do not need to apologise to me.

I think this will be a good game too.

There are ways to go cross class in D&D4 and so they may add this to Neverwinter Online.

I recommend you look at this page on the Wizards website, which explains D&D4. You maybe able to find a version of this page in your language.

Superhero stories, done well, are about modern archetypes.

A Prootwaddle is one of the weirder player-character races in "The Fantasy Trip", Steve Jackson's first published role-playing game.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Neverwinter is about the D&D world, the story and the character, not the character sheet. And the Foundry gives us, the players, unlimited freedom to tell our own stories.

So in a way, Neverwinter might actually be one of the most D&D games ever created, regardless of the "mechanics" and what system it is inspired by.

I'm still sworn off arguing with people, in case forum users are children, but you have made me curious.

Are you aware that the NeverWinter Night games existed and they not only allowed people to write and share adventures but also allowed people to Dungeon Master them due to the DM client?

This is a feature not currently planned for Neverwinter Online, as far as I know.

A Prootwaddle is one of the weirder player-character races in "The Fantasy Trip", Steve Jackson's first published role-playing game.
  • Options
    ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I'm still sworn off arguing with people, in case forum users are children, but you have made me curious.

Are you aware that the NeverWinter Night games existed and they not only allowed people to write and share adventures but also allowed people to Dungeon Master them due to the DM client?

This is a feature not currently planned for Neverwinter Online, as far as I know.

Yeah, that's because NWO is not part of the Neverwinter Nights series. It's not based around the same edition, it's not made by the same company, and most will say it's not even the same genre of game.

This has been common knowledge ever since this this site and forum started. Haven't you been around or paying attention that long?

As far as we've heard, persistent worlds have been considered and wishlisted for NWO. Nothing more.
  • Options
    eliseren1tyeliseren1ty Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I wouldn't worry too much about what NWO is.
    I worry that the system will be so boring and limited that the community will not develop on the platform.
    Replay value suffers if you can't multi-class. I'd expect that worked on fairly early as well as an NWNX type interface.
    Plus... trade skills are going to be needed.

PCs need depth to be properly developed.
    PCs develop crafts and acquire stuff.
    That means persistence and DB access like MySQL

I'm stupefied that this wasn't taken into consideration.

With a linear class progression in a linear module I am not going to get overly optimistic when it comes to player created content.
    // here be dragons
    CRect HAMSTER; // darn near killed'em
    my $search_key = $something_else;
    foreach (keys %some_hash) {
    if ($_ eq $search_key) {
    do_something($_);
    }
    else();
    }
    locked by NullUserException
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I wouldn't worry too much about what NWO is.
    I worry that the system will be so boring and limited that the community will not develop on the platform.
    Replay value suffers if you can't multi-class. I'd expect that worked on fairly early as well as an NWNX type interface.
    Plus... trade skills are going to be needed.

PCs need depth to be properly developed.
    PCs develop crafts and acquire stuff.
    That means persistence and DB access like MySQL

I'm stupefied that this wasn't taken into consideration.

With a linear class progression in a linear module I am not going to get overly optimistic when it comes to player created content.

I think NO will be playable but it is an MMO based on D&D4, written using the base system for a superhero MMO.

NO doesn't make sense unless you take this into account.

Thank for mentioning NWNX, I'll see if I can read up on this later. From what you have said you might be interesting in this Kickstarter, although I don't think MySQL will be used.

• Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited February 2013

I appreciate you leading off with an insult. Makes this reply feel that much more special.

From my post:

"So in a way, Neverwinter may actually be ONE OF the most D&D games ever created..."

I am fully aware of the Nevewinter Nights series, which is exactly why I distinctly used the phrase "one of".
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    "So in a way, Neverwinter may actually be ONE OF the most D&D games ever created..."

Arguments ? Ok you stated it, now prove it.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Most D&D games are based on specific D&D campaigns or settings, but only take players through a pre-programmed story.

I think the inclusion of the Foundry, which will allow us as players to create and share stories and content with our friends, guildmates and the community creates an enourmous opportunity afforded to us in very few other games bearing the D&D seal. To me, that is the heart and soul of Dungeons and Dragons. It's not the system, or the mechanics, it's the possibilty to choose and create your own adventures, where the only limit is your imagination.

And yes, there's some caveats.

The Foundry is still a work in progress. We don't know exactly how far we'll be able to take it, but we also don't know how far it could envolve as Neverwinter grows and changes.

Second, I'm not hear to bash Neverwinter Nights, or downplay its significance. But the truth is, when it comes to open-play D&D based games, Neverwinter Nights is the exception not the rule.

Again, most D&D games restrict the player to pre-scripted adventures in a pre-generated world, totally controlled by the developer.

Neverwinter is being built from the ground up to incorporate the Foundry (IE player-created content and adventures) as a core feature of the game, which lends itself to being true to the heart of D&D. Yes, the rulebooks, campaign settings and background information comes pre-printed, but the essence of D&D is the unlimited adventures you can create from that source material.

That's what gives Neverwinter the potential to be more D&D that most every other D&D-based game out there.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I appreciate you leading off with an insult.

Seeking to avoid arguing with potential youngsters is a caution on my behalf - that is all.